PDA

View Full Version : My cat never shuts up!

LunarsMom
July 18th 08, 02:44 AM
I have a Black American Shorthair cat. He was a stray and he just chose my
fiance and myself to be his parents about 4 years ago. We love him dearly and
we give him love and attention constantly, his food and water bowls are
always full and fresh, litter box clean, and he is very healthy according to
the vet. Everything I have read says they are typically quiet but my cat
meows constantly! It is pretty amazing really and I don't think that many
other people could put up with it. Of course there are times when he is quiet,
like when he is sleeping-lol. But usually he walks around meowing all the
time. Whenever I have company over they are blown away. Is there another
breed of cat that is typically this vocal that he perhaps is mixed with?
Anyone else have a vocal kitty? Any advice or info. would be appreciated as I
have been rather intrigued by him for years now...

Matthew[_3_]
July 18th 08, 02:48 AM
He might be deaf

Siamese and Bengal's are a talkative bunch

"LunarsMom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have a Black American Shorthair cat. He was a stray and he just chose my
> fiance and myself to be his parents about 4 years ago. We love him dearly
> and
> we give him love and attention constantly, his food and water bowls are
> always full and fresh, litter box clean, and he is very healthy according
> the vet. Everything I have read says they are typically quiet but my cat
> meows constantly! It is pretty amazing really and I don't think that many
> other people could put up with it. Of course there are times when he is
> quiet,
> like when he is sleeping-lol. But usually he walks around meowing all the
> time. Whenever I have company over they are blown away. Is there another
> breed of cat that is typically this vocal that he perhaps is mixed with?
> Anyone else have a vocal kitty? Any advice or info. would be appreciated
> as I
> have been rather intrigued by him for years now...

LunarsMom
July 18th 08, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the input. He is not deaf though, he loves to hear all about
himself and how handsome he is and he loves it when I sing to him - or at
least I like to think so:-)

I was wondering if he might have a little siamese. I can't see any other
definitive characteristics of another breed but i am no expert.

Matthew wrote:
>He might be deaf
>
>Siamese and Bengal's are a talkative bunch
>
>>I have a Black American Shorthair cat. He was a stray and he just chose my
>> fiance and myself to be his parents about 4 years ago. We love him dearly
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> as I
>> have been rather intrigued by him for years now...

Cinnamin
July 19th 08, 08:17 PM
ffn Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:44:12 GMT, "LunarsMom" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Black American Shorthair cat. He was a stray and he just chose my
>fiance and myself to be his parents about 4 years ago. We love him dearly and
>we give him love and attention constantly, his food and water bowls are
>always full and fresh, litter box clean, and he is very healthy according to
>the vet. Everything I have read says they are typically quiet but my cat
>meows constantly! It is pretty amazing really and I don't think that many
>other people could put up with it. Of course there are times when he is quiet,
>like when he is sleeping-lol. But usually he walks around meowing all the
>time. Whenever I have company over they are blown away. Is there another
>breed of cat that is typically this vocal that he perhaps is mixed with?
>Anyone else have a vocal kitty? Any advice or info. would be appreciated as I
>have been rather intrigued by him for years now...

My dear Zoe was like that, she talked all the time whenever people
were around, and did it for most of her life. She was a tortie and a
total clown and loved any sort of attention. I used to have meowing
"conversations" with her. I think she felt it was her job to always
let me know where she was, just in case I felt the need to play with
her!

I've heard of a few cats that like to talk

Cinnamin

zob
July 19th 08, 10:48 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:44:12 GMT, "LunarsMom" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Black American Shorthair cat. He was a stray and he just chose my
>fiance and myself to be his parents about 4 years ago. We love him dearly and
>we give him love and attention constantly, his food and water bowls are
>always full and fresh, litter box clean, and he is very healthy according to
>the vet. Everything I have read says they are typically quiet but my cat
>meows constantly! It is pretty amazing really and I don't think that many
>other people could put up with it. Of course there are times when he is quiet,
>like when he is sleeping-lol. But usually he walks around meowing all the
>time. Whenever I have company over they are blown away. Is there another
>breed of cat that is typically this vocal that he perhaps is mixed with?
>Anyone else have a vocal kitty? Any advice or info. would be appreciated as I
>have been rather intrigued by him for years now...

I don't think it's breed related. My two cars are both black American
Shorthairs also, and they are opposite as day and night. Yoda is
quite, sweet, and passive while Onyx is hyper, playful and --as with
your cat -- is very vocal. SOmetimes I get really annoyed because
he'll "talk" to me constantly and have no idea what he wants.
Clean litterbox. Check.
Plenty of food. Check.
Plenty of water. Check.
His toys aren't stuck under the furniture. Check.
Yet, meaow, meaow, meaow. I'll pet him, scratch behind his ears, he'll
purr loudly for a minute, go chase his mousies around for a few
minutes, get bored and five minute later he's meaowing again. He's
very healthy and happy; it's just what he does. He's a crybaby.

Oh, and Onyx also "chatters" at birds and squirrels through the
window. It really is funny. It's not quite a growl and not quite a
meow. I have a ground-level feeder that attracts mourning doves and
cardinals as well as the squirrels, and it is right outside a sliding
glass door in my living room. The critters have gotten to know that
Onyx cannot get the through the glass so they ignore him. Sometimes
they will be 2 feet from him happily eating their sunflower seeds
while he "chatters" away at them from the inside. I wish I could
describe the sound that he makes; it really does sound like he's
"talking" to them! It's a hoot!

---
Zob