PDA

View Full Version : Tuna bad for cats?

Robotech_Master
July 24th 08, 03:01 AM
My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.

Is this true?

I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
processed to remove anything harmful.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Matthew[_3_]
July 24th 08, 06:46 AM
canned tuna and fish have high levels of mercury in them yes it is bad but
not in small amount as a snack

male or female it does not matter
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
> other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
> tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.
>
> Is this true?
>
> I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
> canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
> processed to remove anything harmful.
>
> --
> Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
> Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
> | Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Bobblespin
July 24th 08, 12:44 PM
Robotech_Master > wrote in
g:

> My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
> other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
> tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.
>
> Is this true?
>
> I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
> canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
> processed to remove anything harmful.

According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never use
the kind for humans. It could be a problem if fed all the time, so for
years I've given it as a treat once every 2-3 weeks.

Bobble

Robotech_Master
July 24th 08, 01:33 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:46:55 -0400, Matthew > wrote:

> canned tuna and fish have high levels of mercury in them yes it is
> bad but not in small amount as a snack

> male or female it does not matter

I gather it had something to do with high levels of ash being bad for
the bladder or something.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Phil P.
July 24th 08, 04:54 PM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
> other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
> tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.
>
> Is this true?
>
> I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
> canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
> processed to remove anything harmful.

http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_Nutritional_Facts.htm

kraut
July 24th 08, 05:18 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:54:41 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
>> My aunt, who is a nurse and a cat-fancier, was over at my place the
>> other day and saw the cans of tuna cat food I had. She told me that
>> tuna was actually bad for cats--male cats in particular.
>>
>> Is this true?
>>
>> I would have thought that even if it was, it would apply only to
>> canned, "pure" tuna; I would have thought that cat food tuna would be
>> processed to remove anything harmful.
>>

>http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_Nutritional_Facts.htm

But is the above info for people tuna or "Tuna cat food" as the
original poster posted asking about?!?! The way I read and understood
the above web site it was talking about people tuna and not "Tuna cat
food". I could be wrong and if so am sorry.

One thing I find about these news groups is that people do not take
time and really read and understand some of the posts before they
reply such as the one above asking about tuna cat food and thus reply
with info that is not what the poster is not asking about so it not
not really answering their question or helping them. People see
certain words and zero in on them such as tuna, milk, cheese,
shelters, declaw. ETC and never give the poster what they are really
asking about such as tuna cat food versus people tuna.

Just my opinion. Sorry. Now everyone can get on my case and
blacklist me or whatever but I have seen the above happen several
times.

Stan Brown
July 24th 08, 11:20 PM
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
>:
> According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never use
> the kind for humans.

Why not the kind for humans?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Bobblespin
July 25th 08, 12:06 AM
Stan Brown > wrote in
t:

> Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
> >:
>> According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never
>> use the kind for humans.
>
> Why not the kind for humans?

too much salt.

Bobble

Phil P.
July 25th 08, 08:48 PM
"kraut" > wrote in message

> >http://maxshouse.com/Tuna_and_Cats_Nutritional_Facts.htm
> >

> One thing I find about these news groups is that people do not take
> time and really read and understand some of the posts before they

Another thing I found out about these newsgroups is there's always a whining
netcop who can't resist an opportunity to complain about something. Have
you noticed that, too?

> not really answering their question or helping them.

....and your post did? lol

Robotech_Master
July 25th 08, 09:31 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:48:42 GMT, Phil P. > wrote:

> "kraut" > wrote in message

> > not really answering their question or helping them.
>
> ...and your post did? lol

Hmm, here I was hoping that you would provide an answer in your
response, so I wouldn't have to ask myself.

That page you provided gives information for "human" canned tuna.

It doesn't include a discussion of tuna cat food, which would
presumably be formulated to be more nutritious to cats. Is it?

What about the ash problem? (Which, oddly, I didn't see mentioned
even for the "human" tuna page, unless it was named something else and
I'm not aware of that.) Does human tuna have too much of it? Does
cat food with "real tuna" in it have high levels of the stuff too?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Phil P.
July 25th 08, 11:16 PM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:48:42 GMT, Phil P. > wrote:
> >
> > "kraut" > wrote in message
>
> > > not really answering their question or helping them.
> >
> > ...and your post did? lol
>
> Hmm, here I was hoping that you would provide an answer in your
> response, so I wouldn't have to ask myself.
>
> That page you provided gives information for "human" canned tuna.
>
> It doesn't include a discussion of tuna cat food, which would
> presumably be formulated to be more nutritious to cats. Is it?

Yes. Cat food containing tuna is fine because the nutrients are balanced for
the feline physiology.

> What about the ash problem? (Which, oddly, I didn't see mentioned
> even for the "human" tuna page,

That's because the term "ash" itself has no meaning. There is no "ash" in
cat food- or human food for that matter. Ash isn't an ingredient, its an
*analysis* that has been perverted into an advertising gimmick by pet food
manufacturers Actually, ash is the total noncombustible material of the
diet, determined by burning a portion of the diet for 2 hours at 600 C and
weighing the residue. IOW, ash refers to all noncombustible components of
a diet- which includes most of the mineral content *without* regard to the
specific elements present. Some components of ash may be important in the
development of FLUTD, but the term ash itself is of no value. A cat food can
be low in "ash" and still high in magnesium- and vice-versa- low in
magnesium but high in "ash" (mostly other minerals)

Stan Brown
July 26th 08, 12:23 AM
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:06:08 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
>:
> Stan Brown > wrote in
> t:
>
> > Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST) from bobblespin
> > >:
> >> According to my (very smart) vet tuna is ok in small doses, and never
> >> use the kind for humans.
> >
> > Why not the kind for humans?
> >

> too much salt.

Thanks -- makes sense.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Janet
July 28th 08, 10:16 PM
I certainly hope it isn't bad for cats, because so far tuna flavors are the
only canned food Miss Kitty will eat.

Stan Brown
July 29th 08, 03:29 AM
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:16:43 -0400 from Janet >:
> I certainly hope it isn't bad for cats, because so far tuna flavors are the
> only canned food Miss Kitty will eat.

Of course there's always *real* tuna, by which I mean an actual hunk
of fish. :-)

Much to my amazement, in the last few days I've cooked both shrimp
and salmon and Milo the Express Cat was not a pest about either one.
In yeas gone by, whenever anything vaguely fishy was in the kitchen,
Dexter the Wonder Cat would be all over me begging for some. Milo is
quite content with his Purina.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...