PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil re: Pregnant Cat

John Ross Mc Master
July 25th 08, 11:22 PM
I volunteer with a shelter and foster cats.

I have a pregnant cat who is eating hardly anything, and this has been
going on for 5 days. The vet says not to worry, but I'm very worried.
In 5 days she has eaten a total of well under a cup of food.

Question: How do I make her eat? Any ideas?

Phil P.
July 25th 08, 11:31 PM
"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> I volunteer with a shelter and foster cats.
>
> I have a pregnant cat who is eating hardly anything, and this has been
> going on for 5 days. The vet says not to worry, but I'm very worried.
> In 5 days she has eaten a total of well under a cup of food.
>
> Question: How do I make her eat? Any ideas?

Offer her *canned* kitten food- add a little warm water. If she eats it-
let her eat as much as she wants. She needs as much nutrition as she can
get. If that doesn't work, put out a smorgasbord- 4 or 5 different flavors.

How far is she?

John Ross Mc Master
July 25th 08, 11:59 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:31:29 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
>> I volunteer with a shelter and foster cats.
>>
>> I have a pregnant cat who is eating hardly anything, and this has been
>> going on for 5 days. The vet says not to worry, but I'm very worried.
>> In 5 days she has eaten a total of well under a cup of food.
>>
>> Question: How do I make her eat? Any ideas?
>
>Offer her *canned* kitten food- add a little warm water. If she eats it-
>let her eat as much as she wants. She needs as much nutrition as she can
>get. If that doesn't work, put out a smorgasbord- 4 or 5 different flavors.
>
> How far is she?

She is supposed to give birth in a week, tops, according to the vet. I
didn't try warming the food yet but I did try the smorgasbord.

John Ross Mc Master
July 26th 08, 12:21 AM
wrote:

>"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
>> I volunteer with a shelter and foster cats.
>>
>> I have a pregnant cat who is eating hardly anything, and this has been
>> going on for 5 days. The vet says not to worry, but I'm very worried.
>> In 5 days she has eaten a total of well under a cup of food.
>>
>> Question: How do I make her eat? Any ideas?
>
>Offer her *canned* kitten food- add a little warm water. If she eats it-
>let her eat as much as she wants. She needs as much nutrition as she can
>get. If that doesn't work, put out a smorgasbord- 4 or 5 different flavors.
>
> How far is she?

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnmcmaster/Chianti

She had a great appetite on the 19th but not after that time. She has
only 3 legs, one leg lost to a coyote. There is still bone sticking
through one leg and she can't be operated on until any kittens she
might have are weaned.

Phil P.
July 26th 08, 08:05 AM
"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:31:29 GMT, "Phil P." >
> wrote:
>

> >"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> >> I volunteer with a shelter and foster cats.
> >>
> >> I have a pregnant cat who is eating hardly anything, and this has been
> >> going on for 5 days. The vet says not to worry, but I'm very worried.
> >> In 5 days she has eaten a total of well under a cup of food.
> >>
> >> Question: How do I make her eat? Any ideas?
> >
> >Offer her *canned* kitten food- add a little warm water. If she eats it-
> >let her eat as much as she wants. She needs as much nutrition as she can
> >get. If that doesn't work, put out a smorgasbord- 4 or 5 different
flavors.

> > How far is she?
> >

> She is supposed to give birth in a week, tops, according to the vet. I
> didn't try warming the food yet but I did try the smorgasbord.

Did the vet check her teeth and mouth thoroughly? Oral pain is on the top
of the list of differentials for why cats stops eating.