PDA

View Full Version : Crisis advice pls!

eden
July 26th 08, 01:51 PM
My 15 year old cat was diagnosed with CRF about 10 months ago as the
consequence of a post op blood tests. He is on Fortekor and had his
blood texts done 6 weeks ago where the readings were
Creatinine: 39 UK (0.44 US) and BUN: 13.4 UK (36 US).

This week he hasnt eaten much so took him for checkup last night.
Nothing obvious, slight dehydration and weight loss (but it has been
every hot and he is very fat) - but blood test were done. This morning
the vet phoned me to say Creatinine is 868 UK (9.8 US) and BUN: 80 UK
(224 US) and that he advises I have him put to sleep today. I couldnt
do that without thought so have taken him in for sub-q fluids and
injections to get him through the weekend with the idea that Monday I
will have to have him put to sleep.

The vet seemed bewildered when I told him Josey had eaten last night
after visit to vets and again very heartily this morning - I suggested
I could administer fluids (much to their shock) so they showed me how
to administer sub-Qs and I am to give him 300ml each day over the
weekend and on Monday the vet will do the tests again and re-assess.

Apart from being fed up with trips to the vet he seems so well. I have
read on CRF websites that you know when its time to make 'the
decision' because the cat is visibly suffering - yet apart from lack
of interest in food last week he seems fine and is currently laying in
the garden having yet again eaten. Is there any hope here?

Any explanation why the levels could rise so drastically and so fast?
Vet has no idea - although Josey did have a dental op 2 weeks ago -
could anaesthetic have done it. Also I have really struggled with
gettig him to eat renal food - have I exasberated the situation by not
giving it to him 100%?

Arjun Ray
August 5th 08, 01:01 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 05:51:56 -0700 (PDT), eden >
wrote:

| My 15 year old cat was diagnosed with CRF about 10 months ago as the
| consequence of a post op blood tests. He is on Fortekor and had his
| blood texts done 6 weeks ago where the readings were
| Creatinine: 39 UK (0.44 US) and BUN: 13.4 UK (36 US).

These are not CRF numbers, even remotely, and especially after a
regimen with Fortekor. Are you sure these aren't some other cat's
numbers? (And what were the numbers when he was diagnosed?)

| This week he hasnt eaten much so took him for checkup last night.
| Nothing obvious, slight dehydration and weight loss (but it has been
| every hot and he is very fat) - but blood test were done. This morning
| the vet phoned me to say Creatinine is 868 UK (9.8 US) and BUN: 80 UK
| (224 US)

And these are crisis numbers.

| and that he advises I have him put to sleep today. I couldnt
| do that without thought so have taken him in for sub-q fluids and
| injections to get him through the weekend with the idea that Monday I
| will have to have him put to sleep.

A different vet might be a better idea.

| The vet seemed bewildered when I told him Josey had eaten last night
| after visit to vets and again very heartily this morning - I suggested
| I could administer fluids (much to their shock) so they showed me how
| to administer sub-Qs and I am to give him 300ml each day over the
| weekend and on Monday the vet will do the tests again and re-assess.

Your vet clearly hasn't the first clue. It seems that a subQ regimen
should have been started quite a while back, while at this point IV
fluids, to flush the BUN and creatinine numbers down to below crisis
levels, was the thing to do.

Please consult this site: http://www.felinecrf.org/

| Any explanation why the levels could rise so drastically and so fast?

The numbers were high (and getting worse) all along.

| Vet has no idea - although Josey did have a dental op 2 weeks ago -
| could anaesthetic have done it.

Yes, that could have done it. Did your vet not warn you about the
dangers of anaesthesia to CRF cats? Yet another reason to dump the
moron, ASAP.