PDA

View Full Version : Dry-Food amounts help needed---NO CYBERCAT COMMENTS WANTED OR NEEDED!

mystro
July 28th 08, 06:47 PM
Note on subject: Cybercat wants to push her opinion regardless of what
question is asked and frankly she's not very intelligent and her
posting history shows she excel's in both rude and crude..she's not
wanted.

ok

My two house-mates (Pete and Fred) gained too much when I tried using
one of those feeders they seem to be nibbling all day long so I
decided to purchase a 8-day auto feeder a few months ago, set to
open twice a day at 6am and 5pm with heaping 1/3 of a cup serving at
each serving, they've lost some much needed weight but now I'm
concerned I'm not giving them enough to maintain a good healthy
weight
especially since they are purely house cats although they usually
clean the
serving dish between feedings- but not always. They have always ate
Chicken Soup for the Cat but I recently switched to the Lite version
both have always thrived on CSFTCLS with beautiful
clear eyes, shiny coats, clean strong teeth and gums and very
playful.

The bag instructions as usual are vague but better then most
companies..they recommend 1/3 to 2/3's of a cup "per day per cat", if
I go by that and I'm feeding them 2/3 total but now they are at the
proper weight
suggestion's on correct amounts would be appreciated

Pete and Fred are currently at 9-10 pounds @ 2 1/2 yo they seem to be
getting close to ideal for their bigger size.

Rene S.
July 28th 08, 08:19 PM
> The bag instructions as usual are vague but better then most
> companies..they recommend 1/3 to 2/3's of a cup "per day per cat", if
> I go by that and I'm feeding them 2/3 total but now they are at the
> proper weight
> *suggestion's on correct amounts would be appreciated

If you're concerned about your cats gaining weight, I would talk to
your vet about the amount of food you should give them. IME, following
the amount listed on the bag is not very helpful. Manufacturers want
you to feed more so you buy more often.

FWIW, I have had poor experience with any food marked "lite" or
"light." One of my own cats gained weight on light food, even with
careful monitoring of portions and no treats. He did not lose any
weight until I switched him to an all-canned diet. I realize that you
are not interested in feeding wet food, but the truth is, some cats
can't metabolize dry food very well.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 28th 08, 10:52 PM
"mystro" > wrote in message
> Note on subject: Cybercat wants to push her opinion regardless of what
> question is asked and frankly she's not very intelligent and her
> posting history shows she excel's in both rude and crude..she's not
> wanted.
>
> ok
>
> My two house-mates (Pete and Fred) gained too much when I tried using
> one of those feeders they seem to be nibbling all day long so I
> decided to purchase a 8-day auto feeder a few months ago, set to
> open twice a day at 6am and 5pm with heaping 1/3 of a cup serving at
> each serving, they've lost some much needed weight but now I'm
> concerned I'm not giving them enough to maintain a good healthy
> weight
> especially since they are purely house cats although they usually
> clean the
> serving dish between feedings- but not always. They have always ate
> Chicken Soup for the Cat but I recently switched to the Lite version
> both have always thrived on CSFTCLS with beautiful
> clear eyes, shiny coats, clean strong teeth and gums and very
> playful.
>
> The bag instructions as usual are vague but better then most
> companies..they recommend 1/3 to 2/3's of a cup "per day per cat", if
> I go by that and I'm feeding them 2/3 total but now they are at the
> proper weight
> suggestion's on correct amounts would be appreciated
>

> Pete and Fred are currently at 9-10 pounds @ 2 1/2 yo they seem to be
> getting close to ideal for their bigger size.

Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be bothered
to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them to
someone who can and get stuffed animals.

CatNipped

Matthew[_3_]
July 28th 08, 11:56 PM
"mystro" >

Why does her opinion ring true and your pridegets in the way of a aggressive
out spoken woman being right

Cybercat is always welcome here and she calls it as she sees it. Be lucky I
am taking a break from telling it how it is or that catnipped did not show
you how she can peel turnips from 50 feet away

mystro
July 29th 08, 12:45 AM
On Jul 28, 2:52*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be bothered
> to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them to
> someone who can and get stuffed animals.
>
> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Good grief its Cybercat's co-signer..

At the very least get your facts straight and stop mimicking someone
else especially someone less intelligent. Remedial question #1..how
do you think those 8 bowls
get filled with FOOD?? by some magic food fairy? DUH! Bonus question
(and this is big points) will you ever be smart enough to ask people
why they do things the way they do them and why *before you look like
a raving idiot in the mirror..is that too damn complicated for ya?

When you co-sign for an idiot then you deserve to be treated like one,
do your own thinking and reading and in this case what you should have
done was write virtually ZERO in this thread and let helpful *thinking
people do the real answering.

Thanks Rene..I was beginning to have my doubts about Usenet RPCH
+B..unfortunantly I'm convinced this newsgroup has deteriorated beyond
what I'm looking for and is no longer the friendly helpful place it
was known for and it damn sure ain't like the old days..but I finally
found where many are.

mystro
July 29th 08, 12:51 AM
Thanks Cheryl, I feel better about the place already. Actually I lied
alittle..I do feed these guys a half-can of no-wheat gluten Fancy
Feast just before their dinner bell 3 times a week.. so I'm not such a
ogre after all. :)

On Jul 28, 4:17*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Mon 28 Jul 2008 03:19:07p, Rene S. wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> .
> com>:
>
> > FWIW, I have had poor experience with any food marked "lite" or
> > "light." One of my own cats gained weight on light food, even
> > with careful monitoring of portions and no treats. He did not
> > lose any weight until I switched him to an all-canned diet. I
> > realize that you are not interested in feeding wet food, but the
> > truth is, some cats can't metabolize dry food very well.
>
> Years ago I tried to get a cat to lose weight on lite dry food
> (Science Diet IIRC) before I knew about these groups. *I didn't
> measure the food and he free fed, but thinking since it was a 'lite'
> food he was getting less calories. *Lite food is full of fiber rather
> than protein and it takes more to satiate them. *They just eat more.
> And even if you measure it out, you have a hungry grumpy cat all the
> time who is looking for any source of food he can find.
>
> --
> Cheryl

cybercat
July 29th 08, 02:06 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 28 Jul 2008 03:19:07p, Rene S. wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> .
> com>:
>
>> FWIW, I have had poor experience with any food marked "lite" or
>> "light." One of my own cats gained weight on light food, even
>> with careful monitoring of portions and no treats. He did not
>> lose any weight until I switched him to an all-canned diet. I
>> realize that you are not interested in feeding wet food, but the
>> truth is, some cats can't metabolize dry food very well.
>>

> Years ago I tried to get a cat to lose weight on lite dry food
> (Science Diet IIRC) before I knew about these groups. I didn't
> measure the food and he free fed, but thinking since it was a 'lite'
> food he was getting less calories. Lite food is full of fiber rather
> than protein and it takes more to satiate them. They just eat more.
> And even if you measure it out, you have a hungry grumpy cat all the
> time who is looking for any source of food he can find.

This is how Boo got to be 18 pounds before we got her.

Stan Brown
July 29th 08, 03:31 AM
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:52:21 -0500 from CatNipped
>:

> Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be bothered
> to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them to
> someone who can and get stuffed animals.

For crying out loud. How exactly is it worse for the cat to have an
automatic feeder than to put food in the bowls manually?

I personally wouldn't have an automatic feeder because it's just one
more gadget to go wrong. But it seems like some of you are making
this out to be a huge moral issue.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

July 29th 08, 05:53 AM
On Jul 28, 12:47 pm, mystro > wrote:
> Note on subject: Cybercat wants to push her opinion regardless of what
> question is asked and frankly she's not very intelligent and her
> posting history shows she excel's in both rude and crude..she's not
> wanted.
>
> ok
>
> My two house-mates (Pete and Fred) gained too much when I tried using
> one of those feeders they seem to be nibbling all day long so I
> decided to purchase a 8-day auto feeder a few months ago, set to
> open twice a day at 6am and 5pm with heaping 1/3 of a cup serving at
> each serving, they've lost some much needed weight but now I'm
> concerned I'm not giving them enough to maintain a good healthy
> weight
> especially since they are purely house cats although they usually
> clean the
> serving dish between feedings- but not always. They have always ate
> Chicken Soup for the Cat but I recently switched to the Lite version
> both have always thrived on CSFTCLS with beautiful
> clear eyes, shiny coats, clean strong teeth and gums and very
> playful.
>
> The bag instructions as usual are vague but better then most
> companies..they recommend 1/3 to 2/3's of a cup "per day per cat", if
> I go by that and I'm feeding them 2/3 total but now they are at the
> proper weight
> suggestion's on correct amounts would be appreciated
>
> Pete and Fred are currently at 9-10 pounds @ 2 1/2 yo they seem to be
> getting close to ideal for their bigger size.

I just wanted to say My vet has told me that feeding your cat straight
can food can give then diarrhea, so I give them dry food and the are
very healthy and active I give them canned food as a treat every now
and again and I use a self feed dish where you just pour food in it
when it is low and none of my cats are fat from it they only eat from
it when they are hungry it has nothing to do with being lazy if I was
to leave it in the bag and just pour a little at a time for them they
would tear in to the bag no matter where I hide the bag they always
find it, so it doesn't matter what you feed them in as long as you
feed them thats all I have to say on this subject goodbye for now hope
it helps you Mystro. P.S. I think your cats are lucky to have you in
their life my cats Cali, Lilly May and Thomas Jefferson aka TJ says to
tell Pete and Fred hi for them.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 29th 08, 02:21 PM
"mystro" > wrote in message
On Jul 28, 2:52 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be bothered
> to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them to
> someone who can and get stuffed animals.
>
> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Good grief its Cybercat's co-signer..

Cybercat's friend, and proud of it. Hey, BTW, why don't you fix your
newsread to it attributes correctly, is that beyond your ability along with
your inability to do simple things like care for cats?

At the very least get your facts straight and stop mimicking someone
else especially someone less intelligent. Remedial question #1..how
do you think those 8 bowls

Um, from what you said about an automatic feeder!!?

get filled with FOOD?? by some magic food fairy? DUH! Bonus question
(and this is big points) will you ever be smart enough to ask people
why they do things the way they do them and why *before you look like
a raving idiot in the mirror..is that too damn complicated for ya?

Where I come from there are *no* excuses for mistreating animals (and giving
them stale dry food in an automatic feeder is mistreatment). So, I really
don't care what your excuse is, it wouldn't have changed my comment.

When you co-sign for an idiot then you deserve to be treated like one,

Since I'm not helping Cybercat obtain a loan, I have no idea what you mean
by "co-sign". Were you by chance going for "co-dependent"? That wouldn't
work either, but the insult would have been more in context.

do your own thinking and reading and in this case what you should have
done was write virtually ZERO in this thread and let helpful *thinking
people do the real answering.

LOL! The "thinking" people here seem to have come to the same conclusion
Cybercat and I came to, judging by the plethora of helpful answers you got.
I had a little time for dalliance so I used it to tell you what a dunce you
are - otherwise, like the others, I wouldn't have bothered with a piece of
work like you!

Thanks Rene..I was beginning to have my doubts about Usenet RPCH
+B..unfortunantly I'm convinced this newsgroup has deteriorated beyond
what I'm looking for and is no longer the friendly helpful place it
was known for and it damn sure ain't like the old days..but I finally
found where many are.

Then please, do feel free to go there, don't let us keep you!

CatNipped

James
July 29th 08, 02:42 PM
On Jul 29, 9:21*am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "mystro" > wrote in message

> On Jul 28, 2:52 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be bothered
> > to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them to
> > someone who can and get stuffed animals.
>
> > CatNipped- Hide quoted text -
>
> Good grief its Cybercat's co-signer..

> Cybercat's friend, and proud of it. *Hey, BTW, why don't you fix your
> newsread to it attributes correctly, is that beyond your ability along with
> your inability to do simple things like care for cats?
>
> At the very least get your facts straight and stop mimicking someone
> else especially someone less intelligent. *Remedial question #1..how
> do you think those 8 bowls

> Um, from what you said about an automatic feeder!!?
>
> get filled with FOOD?? by some magic food fairy? DUH! *Bonus question
> (and this is big points) will you ever be smart enough to ask people
> why they do things the way they do them and why *before you look like
> a raving idiot in the mirror..is that too damn complicated for ya?

> Where I come from there are *no* excuses for mistreating animals (and giving
> them stale dry food in an automatic feeder is mistreatment). *So, I really
> don't care what your excuse is, it wouldn't have changed my comment.
>
> When you co-sign for an idiot then you deserve to be treated like one,

> Since I'm not helping Cybercat obtain a loan, I have no idea what you mean
> by "co-sign". *Were you by chance going for "co-dependent"? *That wouldn't
> work either, but the insult would have been more in context.
>
> do your own thinking and reading and in this case what you should have
> done was write virtually ZERO in this thread and let helpful *thinking
> people do the real answering.

> LOL! *The "thinking" people here seem to have come to the same conclusion
> Cybercat and I came to, judging by the plethora of helpful answers you got.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 29th 08, 04:45 PM
"James" > wrote in message
On Jul 29, 9:21 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "mystro" > wrote in message

> On Jul 28, 2:52 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I happen to agree with Cybercat - if you can't even be
> > bothered
> > to dump dry food in their bowls you really should see about giving them
> > someone who can and get stuffed animals.
>
> > CatNipped- Hide quoted text -
>
> Good grief its Cybercat's co-signer..

> Cybercat's friend, and proud of it. Hey, BTW, why don't you fix your
> newsread to it attributes correctly, is that beyond your ability along
> with
> your inability to do simple things like care for cats?
>
> At the very least get your facts straight and stop mimicking someone
> else especially someone less intelligent. Remedial question #1..how
> do you think those 8 bowls

> Um, from what you said about an automatic feeder!!?
>
> get filled with FOOD?? by some magic food fairy? DUH! Bonus question
> (and this is big points) will you ever be smart enough to ask people
> why they do things the way they do them and why *before you look like
> a raving idiot in the mirror..is that too damn complicated for ya?

> Where I come from there are *no* excuses for mistreating animals (and
> giving
> them stale dry food in an automatic feeder is mistreatment). So, I really
> don't care what your excuse is, it wouldn't have changed my comment.
>
> When you co-sign for an idiot then you deserve to be treated like one,

> Since I'm not helping Cybercat obtain a loan, I have no idea what you mean
> by "co-sign". Were you by chance going for "co-dependent"? That wouldn't
> work either, but the insult would have been more in context.
>
> do your own thinking and reading and in this case what you should have
> done was write virtually ZERO in this thread and let helpful *thinking
> people do the real answering.

> LOL! The "thinking" people here seem to have come to the same conclusion
> Cybercat and I came to, judging by the plethora of helpful answers you
> got.
> I had a little time for dalliance so I used it to tell you what a dunce
> you
> are - otherwise, like the others, I wouldn't have bothered with a piece of
> work like you!
>
> Thanks Rene..I was beginning to have my doubts about Usenet RPCH
> +B..unfortunantly I'm convinced this newsgroup has deteriorated beyond
> what I'm looking for and is no longer the friendly helpful place it
> was known for and it damn sure ain't like the old days..but I finally
> found where many are.

> Then please, do feel free to go there, don't let us keep you!
>
> CatNipped

My in/outdoor cat was on Purina One kitten food and was getting fat at
2 y.o. so I started giving her adult food and she is now slim. Now I
let her eat all she wants when she wants. I think regular feeding
made her eat even if she didn't need it.

Having access to outdoors also keeps her fit. She love climbing trees
and the roof is one of her favorite places. When she's indoors she
basically just sleep or rest.

What, the dry vs. canned food argument wasn't enough for you - you want to
start the indoor/outdoor flame war again. Sorry, not participating, go
troll somewhere else.

CatNipped

James
July 29th 08, 05:54 PM
On Jul 29, 11:45*am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> [...]
> > what I'm looking for and is no longer the friendly helpful place it
> > was known for and it damn sure ain't like the old days..but I finally
> > found where many are.

> > Then please, do feel free to go there, don't let us keep you!
>
> > CatNipped
>
> My in/outdoor cat was on Purina One kitten food and was getting fat at
> 2 y.o. so I started giving her adult food and she is now slim. *Now I
> let her eat all she wants when she wants. *I think regular feeding
> made her eat even if she didn't need it.
>
> Having access to outdoors also keeps her fit. *She love climbing trees
> and the roof is one of her favorite places. *When she's indoors she
> basically just sleep or rest.

> What, the dry vs. canned food argument wasn't enough for you - you want to
> start the indoor/outdoor flame war again. *Sorry, not participating, go

Go screw yourself.

Have a nice day.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 29th 08, 06:05 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > what I'm looking for and is no longer the friendly helpful place it
> > was known for and it damn sure ain't like the old days..but I finally
> > found where many are.

> > Then please, do feel free to go there, don't let us keep you!
>
> > CatNipped
>
> My in/outdoor cat was on Purina One kitten food and was getting fat at
> 2 y.o. so I started giving her adult food and she is now slim. Now I
> let her eat all she wants when she wants. I think regular feeding
> made her eat even if she didn't need it.
>
> Having access to outdoors also keeps her fit. She love climbing trees
> and the roof is one of her favorite places. When she's indoors she
> basically just sleep or rest.

> What, the dry vs. canned food argument wasn't enough for you - you want to
> start the indoor/outdoor flame war again. Sorry, not participating, go

Go screw yourself.

Have a nice day.

LOL! Nice come back, almost as good as "yo momma"!

Also, do you think you can manage to fix your newsreader so that it
attributes properly, it's an easy task you should be able to master (strange
how you and "mysto" both seem to have the same problem).

CatNipped

cybercat
July 29th 08, 06:35 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Where I come from there are *no* excuses for mistreating animals (and
> giving them stale dry food in an automatic feeder is mistreatment). So, I
> really don't care what your excuse is, it wouldn't have changed my
> comment.

Nicely said, CN.

cybercat
July 29th 08, 06:36 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> What, the dry vs. canned food argument wasn't enough for you - you want to
> start the indoor/outdoor flame war again. Sorry, not participating, go
> troll somewhere else.

He's only here so that he can begin post with "My pussy." As though it isn't
clear enough that he has one.

cybercat
July 29th 08, 06:38 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> LOL! Nice come back, almost as good as "yo momma"!
>
> Also, do you think you can manage to fix your newsreader so that it
> attributes properly, it's an easy task you should be able to master
> (strange how you and "mysto" both seem to have the same problem).

I've had James kfed for a longgg, longgg time. I think it was a similar
idiotic comment about how his "pussy" sleeps all the time when indoors, but
gets exercise when outdoors. Cats sleep most of the time regardless, and his
"pussy" may very well be sleeping when the car backs over it or the rottie
disembowels it.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 29th 08, 07:21 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
>> What, the dry vs. canned food argument wasn't enough for you - you want
>> to start the indoor/outdoor flame war again. Sorry, not participating,
>> go troll somewhere else.
>>

> He's only here so that he can begin post with "My pussy." As though it
> isn't clear enough that he has one.

Or that he *is* one! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

mystro
July 29th 08, 07:57 PM
On Jul 29, 10:35*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Nicely said, CN.

Your real personality wouldn't allow you to respect the Subject would
it...there's a cure for being overly pushy and nosy Cybercat and I'm
going to let alot of people who come here know it. bye bye

Matthew[_3_]
July 29th 08, 10:16 PM
Would you take a flying leap into traffic

She has been here for a longtime and will be here after you are just a
toilet flush remembrance

"mystro" >

Phil P.
July 30th 08, 07:34 PM
"mystro" > wrote in message

<whining snipped>

> The bag instructions as usual are vague but better then most
> companies..they recommend 1/3 to 2/3's of a cup "per day per cat", if
> I go by that and I'm feeding them 2/3 total but now they are at the
> proper weight
> suggestion's on correct amounts would be appreciated

> Pete and Fred are currently at 9-10 pounds @ 2 1/2 yo they seem to be
> getting close to ideal for their bigger size.

A moderately active, neutered, indoor cat has a daily energy requirement
(DER) of about 18-20 kcals/lb/day. That's about 162 kcals/day for the 9 lb
cat and 180 kcals/day for the 10 lb. cat. If the caloric
density/metabolizable energy (kcal/cup/g/kg) isn't printed on the bag, check
the company's website or call the company. If you're feeding twice a day,
divide the DER into two feedings.

Male cats' diets should consist of predominately canned food to reduce the
risk of urinary tract obstructions. That's a fact, Jack.

cshenk
July 30th 08, 11:48 PM
"Phil P." wrote

> A moderately active, neutered, indoor cat has a daily energy requirement
> (DER) of about 18-20 kcals/lb/day. That's about 162 kcals/day for the 9
> lb
> cat and 180 kcals/day for the 10 lb. cat. If the caloric
> density/metabolizable energy (kcal/cup/g/kg) isn't printed on the bag,
> check
> the company's website or call the company. If you're feeding twice a day,
> divide the DER into two feedings.

I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
days. I have a spayed female and feed only the higher end brands of dry
(after checking the web page sources posted here so as to not be mistaken
just by prices). Mostly, Daisy eats wet food delivered twice a day in small
portions (about 2.5-3oz a feeding).

What I havent been able to do is feed her the better end of wet foods as
some she just will not touch (oh and have not located 'wellness' locally to
try that one on her).

She will stop eating wet totally if I feed either the same brand too many
days in a row, or too much of the same flavor. Wierd cat, but at least she
is mostly on wet.
We converted her to it from a completely dry diet when we adopted her.

> Male cats' diets should consist of predominately canned food to reduce the
> risk of urinary tract obstructions. That's a fact, Jack.

Completely agree, mostly wet for male cats and *never* the cheap stuff like
'alley cat' etc. That is just asking for trouble.

Janet
July 31st 08, 04:21 AM
What do you think of Fancy Feast and Friskies? So far, I've had success
feeding Miss K canned foods that are precominantly tuna, inlcuding those two
brands plus Nutro in pouches. (Tryin gIams on her tomorrow.) Our finances
are such that I really cannot afford to spend $3 or more per day feeding
her, as some of the higher end canned foods would be. On the other hand, I
don't want to feed her crap food. I'm looking for a balance. She rejected
Natural Choice pate-style foods formulated to relieve hairballs.

Matthew[_3_]
July 31st 08, 05:02 AM
"Janet" > wrote in message

> What do you think of Fancy Feast and Friskies? So far, I've had success
> feeding Miss K canned foods that are precominantly tuna, inlcuding those
> two brands plus Nutro in pouches. (Tryin gIams on her tomorrow.) Our
> finances are such that I really cannot afford to spend $3 or more per day
> feeding her, as some of the higher end canned foods would be. On the other
> hand, I don't want to feed her crap food. I'm looking for a balance. She
> rejected Natural Choice pate-style foods formulated to relieve hairballs.

I have to use fancy feast for Rumble; he is diabetic it was the one that had
the most choice with gravy but I use nothing grilled or minced
do you have a wholesale club nearby I get 36 cans for about $11

Phil P.
August 5th 08, 08:07 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message

> I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
> days.

I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and just
add more when the bowl gets low.

LauraM[_2_]
August 5th 08, 11:55 PM
On Aug 5, 12:07*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
> > days.
>
> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and just
> add more when the bowl gets low.

Maybe he meant every four hours??

cshenk
August 6th 08, 12:25 AM
"LauraM" <wrote

> > I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
> > days.
>
> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
> just
> add more when the bowl gets low.

>Maybe he meant every four hours??

She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
bowl..

Cheryl[_4_]
August 6th 08, 01:24 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "LauraM" <wrote
>
>> > I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
>> > days.
>>
>> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
>> just
>> add more when the bowl gets low.
>
>>Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> bowl..

Uh oh. Yes, and you'll see many reasons why it is. Dry food is coated with
fat for taste and the cat will leave pieces half bitten and they now have
saliva on them. Bacteria breeding ground.

jmc
August 6th 08, 01:37 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (8/5/2008 7:25 PM):
> "LauraM" <wrote
>
>>> I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
>>> days.
>> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
>> just
>> add more when the bowl gets low.
>
>> Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> bowl..

My cat Meep begs to differ. It gets stale, and doesn't taste good.
Leave it there over about 24 hours, and she'd not touch it. My
understanding is that it can go rancid after that long.

When Meep was being fed dry, you could plot a mathematical formula -
there's a reverse relationship between how much food she'd eat and how
far down the bag we were. And I didn't even keep it in a bag, as soon as
the bag was opened, it went into an airtight plastic container.

Try an experiment. Divide that 1/4 cup. Put 1/8 cup out. After 24
hours, measure what's left, then dump it and put out the other 1/8 cup.
I bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days
than they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.

jmc

jmc

LauraM[_2_]
August 6th 08, 02:24 AM
On Aug 5, 5:37*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (8/5/2008 7:25 PM):
>
> > "LauraM" <wrote

> >> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
> >> just
> >> add more when the bowl gets low.
>
> >> Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> > She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. *I wet feed the cat and
> > this is just a side noshe. *It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> > bowl..
>
> My cat Meep begs to differ. *It gets stale, and doesn't taste good.
> Leave it there over about 24 hours, and she'd not touch it. *My
> understanding is that it can go rancid after that long.
>
> When Meep was being fed dry, you could plot a mathematical formula -
> there's a reverse relationship between how much food she'd eat and how
> far down the bag we were. And I didn't even keep it in a bag, as soon as
> the bag was opened, it went into an airtight plastic container.
>
> Try an experiment. *Divide that 1/4 cup. *Put 1/8 cup out. *After 24
> hours, measure what's left, then dump it and put out the other 1/8 cup.
> * I bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days
> than they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.
>
> jmc
>
> jmc

Your Meeps is like my Hobbes. If it's not fresh, forget about it. He
just sniffs it. They're funny, aren't they?

Phil P.
August 6th 08, 04:06 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "LauraM" <wrote
>
> > > I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every
4
> > > days.
> >
> > I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
> > just
> > add more when the bowl gets low.
>
> >Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> bowl..

That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit the
nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
it...)

You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. Whatever
isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl should
be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.

LauraM[_2_]
August 6th 08, 02:57 PM
On Aug 5, 8:06*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > "LauraM" <wrote

> 4
>
> > > I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
> > > just
> > > add more when the bowl gets low.
>
> > >Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> > She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. *I wet feed the cat and
> > this is just a side noshe. *It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> > bowl..
>
> That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit the
> nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
> it...)
>
> You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. *Whatever
> isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl should
> be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.

Eghads....I can't believe that the bowl is not cleaned every day and
new food put in there. Yipes!

Phil P.
August 6th 08, 03:40 PM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:06 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > "LauraM" <wrote

> 4
>
> > > I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
> > > just
> > > add more when the bowl gets low.
>
> > >Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> > She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat
and
> > this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in
the
> > bowl..
>
>> That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit
the
>> nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
>> it...)
>>
>> You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. Whatever
>> isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl
should
>> be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.

> Eghads....I can't believe that the bowl is not cleaned every day and
> new food put in there. Yipes!

As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there for
weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! How disgusting is that? I
really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She should
probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
mints!

cybercat
August 6th 08, 04:40 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "LauraM" <wrote
>
>> > I don't really measure it here myself, but I note about 1/4 cup every 4
>> > days.
>>
>> I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
>> just
>> add more when the bowl gets low.
>
>>Maybe he meant every four hours??
>
> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat and
> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the
> bowl..

I have known others who did this. It really isn't a good idea. I know how
you're thinking ... it's like a bag of chips on the sideboard. But the thing
is, it really isn't. It might be if we stuck our heads in the back and
slobbered on every other chip every day.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 6th 08, 04:45 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "LauraM" <wrote

> 4
>> >
>> > I hope you're not saying you leave dry food in the bowl for 4 days and
>> > just
>> > add more when the bowl gets low.
>>
>> >Maybe he meant every four hours??
>>
>> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat
>> and
>> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in
>> the
>> bowl..
>
> That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit
> the
> nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
> it...)
>
> You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. Whatever
> isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl
> should
> be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.

We have *very* well fed squirrels - they get any SD dry that the cats don't
eat (they get about 1/2 cup for the 5 of them per day - the rest of their
diet is canned).

Hugs,

CatNipped

---MIKE---
August 6th 08, 05:59 PM
Since I prefer my cats to eat mostly canned, I give a "sample" of dry
Wellness at noon and bedtime as a treat. What I put down is gone in
five minutes. If there was any left I would throw it away.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

LauraM[_2_]
August 6th 08, 08:12 PM
On Aug 6, 7:40*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote in message

> On Aug 5, 8:06 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > > "LauraM" <wrote

> every
> > 4

> > > She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat
> and
> > > this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in
> the
> > > bowl..
>
> >> That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit
> the
> >> nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
> >> it...)
>
> >> You should fill the bowl with only enough food for *one* day. Whatever
> >> isn't eaten at the end of the day should be *thrown out* and the bowl
> should
> >> be washed before adding fresh food. That's just basic hygiene.
> > Eghads....I can't believe that the bowl is not cleaned every day and
> > new food put in there. *Yipes!
>
> As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
> That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
> days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there for
> weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! *How disgusting is that? *I
> really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She should
> probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
> mints!- Hide quoted text -

Oh god...I'm cracking up here about the after dinner minuts.

Cheryl[_4_]
August 6th 08, 11:17 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>> She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added every 4 days. I wet feed the cat
>> and
>> this is just a side noshe. It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in
>> the
>> bowl..
>
> That's ridiculous-- in addition to being utterly disgusting. Cheryl hit
> the
> nail right on the head with her explanation. (I wonder where she heard
> it...)

I read that from you, Phil. :)

cshenk
August 7th 08, 12:07 AM
"jmc" wrote
> cshenk exclaimed

> Try an experiment. Divide that 1/4 cup. Put 1/8 cup out. After 24
> hours, measure what's left, then dump it and put out the other 1/8 cup. I
> bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days than
> they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.

Perhaps but the idea is to have her go for the wet food which is better for
her, but have a side provision of 'munchies' or somethng to cover if she
decides the wet food of the day didnt suit.

Daisy was raised as far as we can tell, totally on dry food. She gets upset
then will overeat immediately on next filling if the bowl gets totally
empty. (fear of loss of food from when she was abandoned we think).

She knows the munchie bowl always has a little bit in it this way and self
moderates her eating. She is a little overweight and losing slowly.

I'll expand a little. I never totally wet fed a cat before. I've also had
few that were overweight and never one who was totally dry fed. From the
last several years (I was overseas) the advice shifted a bit and wet seems
best. I took to swapping Daisy slowly and asked her vet for advice on how
it might best be done (I have a really Great vet). Anyways, she matched up
fairly closely to what people here say on how to go about it.

2 wet feedings a day in 12 hour intervals, both about 2.5-3oz for her size.
Watch carefully for what she 'likes' and expect her to not want the same
brand or type every day. (Go figure, yet another cat who cant stand tuna!).
Provide a smaller amount of a *quality* dry and over time, trim that down as
you note the bowl of dry gets left.

In Daisy's case, she gets a tartar control dry just now. Slated for a teeth
cleaning as she's got some bad buildup at the back teeth.

I found out over time, if i let the dry food get empty for more than a few
hours, she gets almost feral in some aspects and then will gorge when I fill
it. If I keep it with a little bit in there at all times, she doesnt do
that. Because it's quite variable in how much she may use of it, I check
daily now and add every 2-3 days about 1/8 cup? Seems she eats about 1/4
cup every 4 days or so. This generally can also be tracked to when she
ignores the wet food of the day. I'm still finding out what she actually
likes and some things she just leaves behind. Tuna or anything with tuna of
cat grade, is untouchable ;-) . If Don feeds her that (Hubby can be
stubborn and insists on getting it at times), she will noshe dry til I get
home and throw out the tuna or take it back and exchange it for something
wet she will eat (and she eats almost anything else).

cshenk
August 7th 08, 12:13 AM
"Phil P." wrote

> As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
> That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
> days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there
> for
> weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! How disgusting is that? I
> really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She
> should
> probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
> mints!

Good lord but you can carry on! You've made all the scenario up in your
head without bothering to ask.

Daisy has 2 bowls. as one is emptied, the other one comes out and the
trailing dry kibble is thrown out and a fresh bowl is used while the other
gets washed. I may add a little between days of about 1/8 cup or so, but it
is not a huge pileup of food left out for 'weeks or months'.

Phil P.
August 7th 08, 03:34 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
>
> > As if that isn't gross enough- she said she *adds* 1/4 cup every 4 days.
> > That means she keeps pouring fresh food on top contaminated food every 4
> > days- which means the dry food at the bottom of the bowl has been there
> > for
> > weeks- or months- or for who knows how long! How disgusting is that? I
> > really feel sorry for her cats- not to mention her dinner guests. She
> > should
> > probably give her dinner guests penicillin pills instead of after dinner
> > mints!
>
> Good lord but you can carry on! You've made all the scenario up in your
> head

I don't think so.

> without bothering to ask.

I didn't have to ask. You were very clear about "1/4 or so cup dry *added*
every 4 days." Sure sounds like you *add*-- not replace 1/4 or so cup dry
every 4 days. Those were *your* words not mine.

And "It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the bowl." certainly
tells me you think food left in the bowl for days or even weeks is just
fine- You think the food is just as fresh in the bowl for 4 days -- or 4
weeks-- as it is in the bag, eh?

You opened your mouth and switched feet.

> Daisy has 2 bowls.

<revised bull**** story snipped>

All least now I hope you know you're supposed to throw out any food that
wasn't eaten *everyday* and wash the bowl before putting fresh food in it.

Btw, do you also keep adding fresh litter to the litter box too, instead of
scooping? Just curious.

cshenk
August 7th 08, 04:15 AM
"Phil P." wrote

>> Good lord but you can carry on! You've made all the scenario up in your
>> head
>
> I don't think so.

I do. You took out like a very rude person after me without bothering to
ask. It's not the first time either.

> I didn't have to ask. You were very clear about "1/4 or so cup dry *added*
> every 4 days." Sure sounds like you *add*-- not replace 1/4 or so cup dry
> every 4 days. Those were *your* words not mine.

So you made the worst possible assumption without asking.

> And "It's no worse dry in the bag than it is in the bowl." certainly
> tells me you think food left in the bowl for days or even weeks is just
> fine- You think the food is just as fresh in the bowl for 4 days -- or 4
> weeks-- as it is in the bag, eh?

Another assumption made by you. I never said I buy dry in that amout for
even a 1/4 cup feed long enough to last that long.

You are not only rude, you make up your own story of assumptions as you go
along then blame me for them.

> You opened your mouth and switched feet.

No, you made assumptions that were not accurate. Why you want to do this,
is something on your end.

>> Daisy has 2 bowls.
>
> <revised bull**** story snipped>

You failed to ask and assumed then built a story around it. It's as bad as
assuming I have one water bowl for the cat and dog when I have 2 deep
ceramic ones and 2 of the 'self feeding' types (2 each so I can dishwash the
off set).

> All least now I hope you know you're supposed to throw out any food that
> wasn't eaten *everyday* and wash the bowl before putting fresh food in it.
>

> Btw, do you also keep adding fresh litter to the litter box too, instead
> of
> scooping? Just curious.

More assumptions on your part made up from your own mind?

Funny, this area used to be helpful and fun. Once you resurfaced, it became
antagonistic and spiteful with regular attacks on posters.

You might want to think about that. New members blood are being driven off
faster than we see them say hello.

Phil P.
August 7th 08, 05:35 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
>
> >> Good lord but you can carry on! You've made all the scenario up in
your
> >> head
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> I do. You took out like a very rude person after me without bothering to
> ask.

As I said, I didn't have to ask you anything. Your post was *crystal*
clear.

> It's not the first time either.

And it probably won't be the last-- and I'd bet you don't even know why....

<drama queen whining snipped>

Phil P.
August 7th 08, 09:17 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message

I didn't read your bull**** this far. Thankfully, someone pointed it out to
me.

It's as bad as
> assuming I have one water bowl for the cat and dog when I have 2 deep
> ceramic ones and 2 of the 'self feeding' types (2 each so I can dishwash
the
> off set).

This just keeps getting better and better!

How much water does your 'self-feeding" type hold? 32 oz? 64 oz? A gallon?
Why would you need 2 if you washed the waterer every day when you refilled
it with fresh water? Sounds an awful lot like you don't even give your cats
fresh water everyday! Stale, saliva-contaminated water to wash down stale,
saliva-contaminated food.

Got an explanation for that?? You really should keep your mouth shut.
Every time you open it you put your foot in it.

Please--- don't even think about telling us about your cats' litterboxes!
You'll have the other half of the group puking.

jmc
August 7th 08, 03:26 PM
Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (8/6/2008 7:07 PM):
> "jmc" wrote
>> cshenk exclaimed
>
>> Try an experiment. Divide that 1/4 cup. Put 1/8 cup out. After 24
>> hours, measure what's left, then dump it and put out the other 1/8 cup. I
>> bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days than
>> they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.
>
> Perhaps but the idea is to have her go for the wet food which is better for
> her, but have a side provision of 'munchies' or somethng to cover if she
> decides the wet food of the day didnt suit.

If you're having as much trouble switching your cat to wet food as I am,
you might try giving the kibble in a treat ball, rather than in her
bowl. Not sure how that would work with her "starving kitty" mentality.
My experience is, you will likely never be able to get your cat to
100% wet as long as you're putting out any dry food at all.

> Daisy was raised as far as we can tell, totally on dry food. She gets upset
> then will overeat immediately on next filling if the bowl gets totally
> empty. (fear of loss of food from when she was abandoned we think).

You need to retrain her to understand that just because the bowl is
empty, does not mean she'll never see food again. It wouldn't be easy,
but is possible.

> She knows the munchie bowl always has a little bit in it this way and self
> moderates her eating. She is a little overweight and losing slowly.
>
> I'll expand a little. I never totally wet fed a cat before. I've also had
> few that were overweight and never one who was totally dry fed. From the
> last several years (I was overseas) the advice shifted a bit and wet seems
> best. I took to swapping Daisy slowly and asked her vet for advice on how
> it might best be done (I have a really Great vet). Anyways, she matched up
> fairly closely to what people here say on how to go about it.

I had never wet fed a cat before either. Meep was on dry up until she
was 7 and had her first cystitis attack. She does *not* want to eat wet
food. Yea, methods differ depending on the kitty. What worked for Meep
is that I stopped ALL dry food, except the kibble in the ball. If I put
out any dry food in a bowl, no matter how small an amount, she'll stop
eating the wet food, hoping I'll relent and give her more dry. She's
had some hungry days trying this, but understands (again) that this
method won't work. She get her dry kibble *only* in her treat ball.

Or, sometimes, I'll drop a couple of her kitty Crack (Greenies) on her
wet food, when she's being really stubborn. She'll eat the Greenies,
and then because she's so hungry, she can't stop herself from eating
some of the canned food. Score: Human 1, Cat 0 :)

> 2 wet feedings a day in 12 hour intervals, both about 2.5-3oz for her size.
> Watch carefully for what she 'likes' and expect her to not want the same
> brand or type every day. (Go figure, yet another cat who cant stand tuna!).
> Provide a smaller amount of a *quality* dry and over time, trim that down as
> you note the bowl of dry gets left.

Meep's the same way. Very very fussy. Fortunately, now that I'm back
in the US with access to a larger choice of healthy wet foods, I've
finally got her off kitty junk food, she eats Wellness now.

> In Daisy's case, she gets a tartar control dry just now. Slated for a teeth
> cleaning as she's got some bad buildup at the back teeth.

Yea, that's the problem with a dry diet. Meep gets some Greenies in her
kibble ball as well. She's going to need some dental work, but later,
after everything is settled down from this latest overseas return.

> I found out over time, if i let the dry food get empty for more than a few
> hours, she gets almost feral in some aspects and then will gorge when I fill
> it. If I keep it with a little bit in there at all times, she doesnt do
> that.

She's got you well trained :) Yea, it'll be hard to retrain her, but if
you stick to your guns, eventually she'll realize an empty bowl doesn't
mean it'll be empty forever.

> Because it's quite variable in how much she may use of it, I check
> daily now and add every 2-3 days about 1/8 cup? Seems she eats about 1/4
> cup every 4 days or so.

I'm with Phil in that if you are not, you need to dump the old stuff
before adding new. Yea, I know, it seems more expensive and wasteful,
but it's better for your cat's health.

> This generally can also be tracked to when she
> ignores the wet food of the day. I'm still finding out what she actually
> likes and some things she just leaves behind. Tuna or anything with tuna of
> cat grade, is untouchable ;-) . If Don feeds her that (Hubby can be
> stubborn and insists on getting it at times), she will noshe dry til I get
> home and throw out the tuna or take it back and exchange it for something
> wet she will eat (and she eats almost anything else).

As long as you keep putting dry out, she's going to ignore the wet
whenever it suits her (that's the Voice of Experience again). One thing
I'd suggest is, when there is wet out, remove the dry food so she has no
choice but to eat the wet if she's hungry. Ignore her trying to tell
you she's starving and that's NOT real food in the bowl. Adding water
to it (Meep gets "stew" so she gets enuf water to keep cystitis at bay)
will keep it fresher longer.

If you stick to your guns, eventually your cat will be less fussy. When
I started on this road, she would eat ONLY tuna flavored dry cat food.
Gradually I convinced her to accept most dry foods (some she still won't
touch). She wouldn't touch canned at all in the beginning, I could get
her to eat only 1/2 a small can a day.

It was hard, and she lost some weight (she was slightly overweight to
start, and now is just a bit too thin), but she's finally eating only
canned food, with perhaps 1/8c kibble per day, that she has to work for.
She's starting to put on a bit of weight now that she's lost the war.

I think it's really important to retrain your kitty to understand that
an empty bowl <> starvation. Both for her sake and your own.

jmc

cshenk
August 8th 08, 01:09 AM
"Phil P." wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in message...

> It's as bad as
>> assuming I have one water bowl for the cat and dog when I have 2 deep
>> ceramic ones and 2 of the 'self feeding' types (2 each so I can dishwash
> the
>> off set).
>
> This just keeps getting better and better!

Why? Because you made assumptions?

> How much water does your 'self-feeding" type hold? 32 oz? 64 oz? A
> gallon?

1.5 days worth but emptied and cleaned every day just like the ceramic one
which is swapped out daily, so it's not there for 1.5 days but one day.
Havent bothered to measure it but it's a fairly big dog here.

There is also a bowl of dashi or other broth put down in smaller amounts and
lapped up normally within 15 mins. 1/2 cup or so for Cash-pup and 3-4 TB
for Daisy-cat. They get those in our normal china which also goes in the
dishwasher afterwards.

> Why would you need 2 if you washed the waterer every day when you refilled

So I can put the bottom part in the dishwasher every day. (top bubble gets
cleaned in the sink and soaked with other non-dishwasher safe things in a
normal hand dishwashing soap). Just normal daily routine here.

> it with fresh water? Sounds an awful lot like you don't even give your
> cats
> fresh water everyday! Stale, saliva-contaminated water to wash down
> stale,
> saliva-contaminated food.

Why did you assume it was not a daily routine to give fresh water? Why did
you assume that a person with 2 units might not do so for easier washing?

> Got an explanation for that?? You really should keep your mouth shut.
> Every time you open it you put your foot in it.

Actually, I have not. You have been having fun making up things, perhaps
because you feel this is appropriate behavior to make the newsgroup more
informative? Not really sure. The people who have been here longer like
you and say you have great information. I with-hold judgement for now. It
would be unfair to assume you are just a troublemaker just because something
I say 'squicks you out' and you react to it in a negative manner.

> Please--- don't even think about telling us about your cats' litterboxes!
> You'll have the other half of the group puking.

Why do you assume I have a litterbox problem? I do not. I assume you may
object to having 2 of those as well since I have but one cat, but like the
water bowls, they arent in use at the same time. I have a spare to use when
one is being cleaned and let dry in the back yard til ready for refilling
after washing it. IE: I always have a clean dry spare, just like the
water bowls and feeding bowls.

Phil, I may be new-blood here, but I am not an inexperienced pet owner. I
am new to dogs a bit still (but my husband isnt new to them) but I've had
cats for close to 40 years now. The vets know far more now than they did
when I was a kid and I find much of the information here quite useful. I
know for example now that my mom's male cat when I was 15, probably died
from cheap dry food fed all his life and my instincts for 'my kids' were to
always feed as much wet as I could afford and do a best quality wet I knew
of and could afford. My finances were not always as flush as my earnings of
now nor was the knowledge base the same when I was a child and Mom bought
'whatever is on sale'. Jerome was just 10 when he died.

I know now that it would be best to wean Daisy-cat off the dry totally and
am working at her pace towards that. There is as normal, about 2 TB dry in
her dish today when I came home and there were about 4 TB yesterday morning.
I swapped out her bowl and put 4 TB dry in the new one (about 1/8 cup).

Do I swap her dry bowl every day? No. Been doing it about every 3rd day at
this stage. I never let more than 1/4 cup at a time be in there and aim to
keep it to 1/8 cup minimum scattered around it. Perhaps I should do this
more often but she's trailing off on eating it at all. She just gets
frantic if it is *empty*. Hence, 'I add 1/4 cup about every 4 days' was my
comment which you reacted to. You probably thought I was putting a 1 lb box
in there then adding to it ;-) This isn't the case. I check daily and
normally add every other day and never let it exceed 1/4 cup or so.

More clear now?

cshenk
August 8th 08, 01:32 AM
"Phil P." wrote

> Btw, do you also keep adding fresh litter to the litter box too, instead
> of
> scooping? Just curious.

Just to answer this the routine is Charlotte scoups in the morning (before
school when not in summer but when she gets up in summer) and again in
evening. Every 3rd day or so the whole box is dumped and washed while the
other one that has dried out in the yard after washing is filled. Quality
clumping litter can last longer than this if faithfully scouped twice a day
but we prefer a faster dumping though there is no aroma at all at this 3rd
day.

We use clumping litter but would dump every day the whole pan if Cash-pup
thought her box was a 'treat field' so we couldnt use clumping litter.
(dangerous for dogs but Cash-pup doesnt even sniff her clumping litter,
raised with cats evidently. Close watch used on this and her pan is where
he cant fit to reach it as he aint no tiny dog).

If you want to make a warning, it might be good to tell folks that clumping
cat litter and dogs can be quite dangerous if the dog can reach the pan and
tries to eat out of it. It clumps just as well in their intestines it
seems? Bad juju there.

cshenk
August 8th 08, 02:23 AM
"jmc" wrote
> Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (8/6/2008 7:07 PM):

>>> bet you'll find they'll eat more of that fresher 1/4 cup in two days
>>> than they did the progressively staler stuff in 4.

Until quieried on this, I was not very plain. Mea culpa? I have to estimate
the amounts because it is a small kibble bowl addition at this stage. She
is mostly on wet now.

>> Perhaps but the idea is to have her go for the wet food which is better
>> for her, but have a side provision of 'munchies' or somethng to cover if
>> she decides the wet food of the day didnt suit.
>>

> If you're having as much trouble switching your cat to wet food as I am,
> you might try giving the kibble in a treat ball, rather than in her

That would work! But she accepts most wet fodder well, just seems to want
that assurance of a bit of a nibble of dry 'there at need'. Daisy-cat's
priblem in being adopted are entirely behavioral. She evinces a fair number
of feral trait and if it were not for her getting along so well with dogs
which has to be raised from kittenhood to hit this level, might have been
feral all her life?

When you adopt a rescue cat, you seldom have much history. We guess a bit
and just love her as she is.

> bowl. Not sure how that would work with her "starving kitty" mentality.
> My experience is, you will likely never be able to get your cat to 100%
> wet as long as you're putting out any dry food at all.

Possible! She likes the wet better though. The dry is now a backup
munchie. I am tossing out the leftover dry as I put fresh in. Just a few
kibbles or so. Since my aim was to convert to wet, the dry has been sparely
added.

>> Daisy was raised as far as we can tell, totally on dry food. She gets
>> upset then will overeat immediately on next filling if the bowl gets
>> totally empty. (fear of loss of food from when she was abandoned we
>> think).

> You need to retrain her to understand that just because the bowl is empty,
> does not mean she'll never see food again. It wouldn't be easy, but is
> possible.

I am working in it. She's 'almost' totally wet feeding now. My vet is in
close contact on this (yes, I am blessed with a GOOD one) and I knew her
before I found this group. Daisy-cat was probably abused by a child and is
very afraid of anyone under 18 or so except Charlotte. She was spayed while
pregnant at 4.5 lbs and estimated 6 months of age. She was dry-fed for 18
months while in various foster-homes. Nothing more is known than she loves
friendly dogs and hates kids (Charlotte excepted for unknown reasons).

>> She knows the munchie bowl always has a little bit in it this way and
>> self moderates her eating. She is a little overweight and losing slowly.
>>
>> I'll expand a little. I never totally wet fed a cat before. I've also
>> had few that were overweight and never one who was totally dry fed. From
>> the last several years (I was overseas) the advice shifted a bit and wet
>> seems best. I took to swapping Daisy slowly and asked her vet for advice
>> on how it might best be done (I have a really Great vet). Anyways, she
>> matched up fairly closely to what people here say on how to go about it.
>>

> I had never wet fed a cat before either. Meep was on dry up until she was
> 7 and had her first cystitis attack. She does *not* want to eat wet food.
> Yea, methods differ depending on the kitty. What worked for Meep is that
> I stopped ALL dry food, except the kibble in the ball. If I put out any
> dry food in a bowl, no matter how small an amount, she'll stop eating the
> wet food, hoping I'll relent and give her more dry. She's had some hungry
> days trying this, but understands (again) that this method won't work.
> She get her dry kibble *only* in her treat ball.

Ok, I seem to feel that I am drifting her over as it is. She eats less and
less dry and just gets 'squicked out' if the dry is empty. She checks it
several times a day but 'just to see that it's there' then eats none. It
it's 'older kibble' as some say here, then it's for the best to make her
turn off so she eats the wet right? Seems so to me at least.

> Or, sometimes, I'll drop a couple of her kitty Crack (Greenies) on her wet
> food, when she's being really stubborn. She'll eat the Greenies, and then
> because she's so hungry, she can't stop herself from eating some of the
> canned food. Score: Human 1, Cat 0 :)

Hehe I make salt free broths and foods and she (as well as Cash-pup) get
lots of that. I've been feeding cats broth since I was 20 or so and they
love it.

>> 2 wet feedings a day in 12 hour intervals, both about 2.5-3oz for her
>> size. Watch carefully for what she 'likes' and expect her to not want the
>> same brand or type every day. (Go figure, yet another cat who cant stand
>> tuna!). Provide a smaller amount of a *quality* dry and over time, trim
>> that down as you note the bowl of dry gets left.
>>

> Meep's the same way. Very very fussy. Fortunately, now that I'm back in
> the US with access to a larger choice of healthy wet foods, I've finally
> got her off kitty junk food, she eats Wellness now.

I have not located a local place for wellness yet. I hear it is good.

>> In Daisy's case, she gets a tartar control dry just now. Slated for a
>> teeth cleaning as she's got some bad buildup at the back teeth.

> Yea, that's the problem with a dry diet. Meep gets some Greenies in her
> kibble ball as well. She's going to need some dental work, but later,
> after everything is settled down from this latest overseas return.

Daisy-cat has an appiontment for 6 SEP for this. They estimate she is 2YO
and it will be her first dental.

>> I found out over time, if i let the dry food get empty for more than a
>> few hours, she gets almost feral in some aspects and then will gorge when
>> I fill it. If I keep it with a little bit in there at all times, she
>> doesnt do that.
>
> She's got you well trained :) Yea, it'll be hard to retrain her, but if
> you stick to your guns, eventually she'll realize an empty bowl doesn't
> mean it'll be empty forever.

Working on it! Perhaps not as fast as some may wish, but as long as she
checks the dry bowl, grabs just 1 kibble, and wanders off to wait for the
wet, we might not be too far off track.

Her fav feed? Duck-back and skin.

>> Because it's quite variable in how much she may use of it, I check daily
>> now and add every 2-3 days about 1/8 cup? Seems she eats about 1/4 cup
>> every 4 days or so.
>
> I'm with Phil in that if you are not, you need to dump the old stuff
> before adding new. Yea, I know, it seems more expensive and wasteful, but
> it's better for your cat's health.

Not a problem my friend. I suppose it is possible a kibble nugget might
escape replacement for 3 days (horrors!) but unlikely to be longer.

Call me terrible but the rest go to feed the local squirrels.

> As long as you keep putting dry out, she's going to ignore the wet
> whenever it suits her (that's the Voice of Experience again). One thing

Naw, she's like 95% wet feed now. Her dry habits are like 1/8 cup dry every
2 days or 1/4 dry every 4 days (same thing). She ignores the dry in favor
of the wet but *checks* to make sure it is there and gets really
squirrrely/feral if it runs out.

Seems an issue for time to solve?

Phil P.
August 8th 08, 03:51 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
> > "cshenk" wrote in message...
>
> > It's as bad as
> >> assuming I have one water bowl for the cat and dog when I have 2 deep
> >> ceramic ones and 2 of the 'self feeding' types (2 each so I can
dishwash
> > the
> >> off set).
> >
> > This just keeps getting better and better!
>
> Why? Because you made assumptions?

I didn't have to make assumptions, you were crystal clear about pouring
fresh dry food on top contaminated food for several days. Why should I
think you don't do the same with the waterer?

> > How much water does your 'self-feeding" type hold? 32 oz? 64 oz? A
> > gallon?
>
> 1.5 days worth

For which animal, a dog? A day and a half capacity waterer for a cat would
only be about 12-16 oz.. If the cat ate only canned food, 16 oz would last
about 5 days to almost a week or even longer. You must be using a bird
waterer!

>but emptied and cleaned every day

Sure it is.... You dump and wash a waterer every day but not the food
bowls? I don't think so.

> More clear now?

The only thing that's clear is that you now know exactly what you're
supposed to say. I just hope you'll be doing it from now on.

Phil P.
August 8th 08, 03:51 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
>
> > Btw, do you also keep adding fresh litter to the litter box too, instead
> > of
> > scooping? Just curious.
>
> Just to answer this

It was a rhetorical question. You've already tipped your hand, so, your
explanations are meaningless.

cshenk
August 8th 08, 04:55 AM
"Phil P." wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

> I didn't have to make assumptions, you were crystal clear about pouring
> fresh dry food on top contaminated food for several days. Why should I
> think you don't do the same with the waterer?

No, I said she eats about that much.

On water:
>> 1.5 days worth
>
> For which animal, a dog? A day and a half capacity waterer for a cat
> would
> only be about 12-16 oz.. If the cat ate only canned food, 16 oz would last
> about 5 days to almost a week or even longer. You must be using a bird
> waterer!

You are again antagonistic. I am trying to figure out why the others here
like you. There must be something there that you fail to show when you talk
with me.

I have a large dog and a normal cat. I have 2 water feeders and swap them
out. What part of this is unclear to you?

What the heck is your problem in talking with others?

>>but emptied and cleaned every day

> Sure it is.... You dump and wash a waterer every day but not the food
> bowls? I don't think so.

The wet ones daily, the dry one granted tends to every 3 days now that it's
a low-use thing since Daisy-cat is mostly on wet.

>> More clear now?

> The only thing that's clear is that you now know exactly what you're
> supposed to say. I just hope you'll be doing it from now on.

Why are you so nasty? I do these things and have been for depending on your
age, longer than you may have been alive. Dunno your age but are you 50?
Nearabouts it? I know these things because I have experience though I do not
claim to know all.

Phil P.
August 8th 08, 07:18 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
> > "cshenk" wrote
>
> > I didn't have to make assumptions, you were crystal clear about pouring
> > fresh dry food on top contaminated food for several days. Why should I
> > think you don't do the same with the waterer?
>
> No, I said she eats about that much.

No, you said you *add* food every 2-3 days. Lemme refresh your memory:: :"I
check daily now and add every 2-3 days about 1/8 cup? Seems she eats about
1/4 cup every 4 days or so." and "She and it's 1/4 or so cup dry added
every 4 days." You distinctly said you *add* food.... *twice* - no
ambiguity there. No need to make assumptions. You were crystal clear.

<more whining snipped>

> The wet ones daily, the dry one granted tends to every 3 days now that
it's
> a low-use thing since Daisy-cat is mostly on wet.

But there's *still* food in the bowl for 4 days and the bowl isn't washed
for at least 4 days! If you keep adding food when it gets low- the way you
described, the food bowl probably doesn't get washed for weeks or even
months- you just keep adding food. It amazes me that you still you're
arguing about this!

> >> More clear now?
>
> > The only thing that's clear is that you now know exactly what you're
> > supposed to say. I just hope you'll be doing it from now on.
>
> Why are you so nasty?

I think I've been rather polite.

I do these things and have been for depending on your
> age, longer than you may have been alive.

And you think that makes it right?

Dunno your age but are you 50?
> Nearabouts it?

Age has nothing to do with keeping your cat's food bowl clean-- unless
you're 5 years old.

> I know these things because I have experience

What kind of experience could you possibly have if you don't even know
enough to keep your cat's food bowl clean?

though I do not
> claim to know all.

That's for sure! This is about basic hygiene and respect for you cat.

Jean B.
August 8th 08, 05:27 PM
jmc wrote:
> [...]
> to it (Meep gets "stew" so she gets enuf water to keep cystitis at bay)
> will keep it fresher longer.
>
> If you stick to your guns, eventually your cat will be less fussy. When
> I started on this road, she would eat ONLY tuna flavored dry cat food.
> Gradually I convinced her to accept most dry foods (some she still won't
> touch). She wouldn't touch canned at all in the beginning, I could get
> her to eat only 1/2 a small can a day.
>
> It was hard, and she lost some weight (she was slightly overweight to
> start, and now is just a bit too thin), but she's finally eating only
> canned food, with perhaps 1/8c kibble per day, that she has to work for.
> She's starting to put on a bit of weight now that she's lost the war.
>
> I think it's really important to retrain your kitty to understand that
> an empty bowl <> starvation. Both for her sake and your own.

That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to
eat mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem
to get many calories out of it.

--
Jean B.

cshenk
August 8th 08, 07:04 PM
"Jean B." wrote

> That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to eat
> mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem to get many
> calories out of it.

Agreed! Meantime, Daisy-cat and Cash-pup just got a mid-day snack. Chicken
stock with little bits of some leftover chicken from last night (deboned,
bones now making more stock). Both got a small lump of chicken fat added
for their coats.

Daisy will slurp up about 3 TB broth then fish out any meat scraps with her
paw. About 20 mins later she will come back and lap up the rest of the 1/2
TB or so of broth if her habits are as normal.

Getting her to drink lots is easy this way.

jmc
August 9th 08, 03:13 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (8/8/2008 2:04 PM):
> "Jean B." wrote
>
>> That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to eat
>> mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem to get many
>> calories out of it.
>
> Agreed! Meantime, Daisy-cat and Cash-pup just got a mid-day snack. Chicken
> stock with little bits of some leftover chicken from last night (deboned,
> bones now making more stock). Both got a small lump of chicken fat added
> for their coats.
>
> Daisy will slurp up about 3 TB broth then fish out any meat scraps with her
> paw. About 20 mins later she will come back and lap up the rest of the 1/2
> TB or so of broth if her habits are as normal.
>
> Getting her to drink lots is easy this way.

Wish it had been that easy with Meep. Only "human food" she'll touch is
tuna water. Loves the stuff! I've tried pretty much everything else -
homemade chicken broth, tuna-flavored ice cubes in her water, all kinds
of things that were suggested here. The only way I can get extra water
in her is by turning her canned food into stew, or soup.

It's working though: Vet called today with the results of her tests:
No crystals or blood in her urine sample. Completely normal. Hurrah!
I've finally found a management plan that has eradicated her cystitis
(at least for now)!

Her other tests (we just moved, so I had the full senior done, so the
new vet would have a baseline) are also normal. Yippeee!

jmc

jmc
August 9th 08, 03:16 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/8/2008 12:27 PM):
> jmc wrote:

>> It was hard, and she lost some weight (she was slightly overweight to
>> start, and now is just a bit too thin), but she's finally eating only
>> canned food, with perhaps 1/8c kibble per day, that she has to work
>> for. She's starting to put on a bit of weight now that she's lost the
>> war.
>>
>> I think it's really important to retrain your kitty to understand that
>> an empty bowl <> starvation. Both for her sake and your own.
>>
>> jmc
>>
> That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to eat
> mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem to get many
> calories out of it.

Have you tried adding water? Getting Meep to accept all canned food
started with her only slurping up the added water, and leaving the meat
behind. When I saw this, I'd just add more water. Gradually, she
started eating the meat too.

jmc

cshenk
August 9th 08, 02:40 PM
"jmc" wrote

>> Daisy will slurp up about 3 TB broth then fish out any meat scraps with
>> her paw. About 20 mins later she will come back and lap up the rest of
>> the 1/2 TB or so of broth if her habits are as normal.

> Wish it had been that easy with Meep. Only "human food" she'll touch is
> tuna water. Loves the stuff! I've tried pretty much everything else -
> homemade chicken broth, tuna-flavored ice cubes in her water, all kinds of
> things that were suggested here. The only way I can get extra water in her
> is by turning her canned food into stew, or soup.

I have an idea for you to try out if that's what she likes? A bit easier
than tuna water yet in same vein. Call the vet first just to make sure
since Meep has had cystitis problems so might be differences there.

If you have a local asain style grocery, there is a powdered japanese fish
broth called 'dashi'. If you google for Hon-dashi you will see many places
to get it online. Below is one of many links.

http://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Dashi-Soup-Stock-5-28/dp/B0002YB40O

I'd put the powder in a shaker bottle (old spice bottle will be fine). To
make it, just add to boiling water. It takes only a little (like 1/4-1/2 TS
per cup depending on how strong you want it) and of course you can vary it
to her (or your) tastes. It looks a little pricy but a little goes a very
long way. Dont make 3-6 cups at a time like the amazon add has, just make a
cup or so and let it go to room temp, try 2-3 TB dashi broth on Meep and the
rest can go in the fridge. You can start with 1/4 TS in 2 cups and then
make it stronger slowly til it hits where Meep likes it.

If Meep likes Tuna water, this box above is probably a 6 month supply for
her. It's basically Bonito and a little cuttelfish plus seaweed seasoning.
The seaweed seasoning is mild but you may want to run that one by your vet.
It would have trace amounts of iodine and sodium.

*My* vet says it's fine for use with Daisy-cat but she has no dicernable
health problems other than needing a teeth cleaning.

> It's working though: Vet called today with the results of her tests: No
> crystals or blood in her urine sample. Completely normal. Hurrah! I've
> finally found a management plan that has eradicated her cystitis (at least
> for now)!

Thats wonderful news!

> Her other tests (we just moved, so I had the full senior done, so the new
> vet would have a baseline) are also normal. Yippeee!

;-)

Petzl
August 10th 08, 04:06 AM
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:27:17 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to
>eat mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem
>to get many calories out of it.

With wet food try adding a little hot water, about a dessert spoon
full (to make food blood warm) This also makes food a healthier choice

Jean B.
August 13th 08, 10:14 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/8/2008 12:27 PM):
>> jmc wrote:
>
>>> It was hard, and she lost some weight (she was slightly overweight to
>>> start, and now is just a bit too thin), but she's finally eating only
>>> canned food, with perhaps 1/8c kibble per day, that she has to work
>>> for. She's starting to put on a bit of weight now that she's lost
>>> the war.
>>>
>>> I think it's really important to retrain your kitty to understand
>>> that an empty bowl <> starvation. Both for her sake and your own.
>>>
>>> jmc
>>>
>> That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to eat
>> mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem to get
>> many calories out of it.
>>

> Have you tried adding water? Getting Meep to accept all canned food
> started with her only slurping up the added water, and leaving the meat
> behind. When I saw this, I'd just add more water. Gradually, she
> started eating the meat too.
>
> jmc

Mingy still mostly consumes the liquid. BUT he is drinking
more--and it sounds like Meep is too.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 13th 08, 10:14 PM
Petzl wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:27:17 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> That's great progress, jmc. I still struggle with getting Ming to
>> eat mostly wet food. He likes it--licks at it--but doesn't seem
>> to get many calories out of it.
>
> With wet food try adding a little hot water, about a dessert spoon
> full (to make food blood warm) This also makes food a healthier choice

I always add a bit of water.

--
Jean B.