PDA

View Full Version : Why # litterboxes = # cats + 1?

Brian Link
July 29th 08, 12:36 AM
I've seen this axiom repeated in many spots: "You should always have
one more litterbox than the number of cats you own".

Curious if there's a scientific rationale behind this, or if it's just
a common practice that everyone accepts.

Thanks

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

cybercat
July 29th 08, 02:05 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> I've seen this axiom repeated in many spots: "You should always have
> one more litterbox than the number of cats you own".
>
> Curious if there's a scientific rationale behind this, or if it's just
> a common practice that everyone accepts.

Why might you think it might be a good idea?

July 29th 08, 02:34 AM
I've had plenty of cats, usually between 6-8 at any given time -
always had the same amount of cat boxes - 3. Never had a problem with
anyone making a mess on the floor, and honestly, that's the first time
I've ever heard that axiom, so I'm not quite convinced it's a common
practice.

Stan Brown
July 29th 08, 03:34 AM
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:36:34 -0500 from Brian Link >:
> I've seen this axiom repeated in many spots: "You should always have
> one more litterbox than the number of cats you own".
>
> Curious if there's a scientific rationale behind this, or if it's just
> a common practice that everyone accepts.

It definitely depends on the cats, and on one's own assiduity in
keeping the box(es) clean. Many cats are fussy about using only a
clean litterbox, and I don't blame them a bit.

For many years I had two cats and one litterbox, and there were never
"accidents" except when one was sick. Now I have one cat, and I can't
see any reason for two boxes. I scoop out the litter every morning.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

---MIKE---
July 29th 08, 12:46 PM
I have three boxes for two cats and I scoop as soon as I see the box has
been used. The "plus one" method is a good idea when ever a problem
starts.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene S.
July 29th 08, 02:09 PM
This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it makes good sense, for several
reasons.

1. Some cats prefer to do #1 on one box and #2 in another.
2. It prevents any territorial issues by having access to multiple
boxes in different locations.
3. Some cats prefer eliminating in a clean box.
4. If your cat is ill or elderly, having boxes in multiple locations
can reduce the chance of accidents.