PDA

View Full Version : Bubba vs The Harness

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 08, 07:30 PM
Hi

Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
without me having to chase him around the rest stop.

I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
and put it on him around the house to give him
a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
too happy with the imposition in spite of
additional treats.

If looks could kill...

I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
of time before I try to use the leash too.

Any helpful hints or suggestions?

CatNipped[_2_]
July 30th 08, 08:16 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
> Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
> that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
> without me having to chase him around the rest stop.
>
> I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
> designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
> and put it on him around the house to give him
> a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
> I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
> too happy with the imposition in spite of
> additional treats.
>
> If looks could kill...
>
> I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
> having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
> so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
> of time before I try to use the leash too.
>
> Any helpful hints or suggestions?

Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be careful
not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle out of them and
you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway if he gets spooked by
something!

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
July 30th 08, 08:18 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote >
> Nope, I think what you're doing is fine.

That's what I thought. And keep the treats coming.

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 08, 08:21 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
>> Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
>> that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
>> without me having to chase him around the rest stop.
>>
>> I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
>> designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
>> and put it on him around the house to give him
>> a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
>> I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
>> too happy with the imposition in spite of
>> additional treats.
>>
>> If looks could kill...
>>
>> I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
>> having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
>> so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
>> of time before I try to use the leash too.
>>
>> Any helpful hints or suggestions?
>
>Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be careful
>not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle out of them and
>you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway if he gets spooked by
>something!

Thanks.

I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
and tighten it up if it needs it later...

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 08, 08:23 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"CatNipped" > wrote >
>> Nope, I think what you're doing is fine.
>
>That's what I thought. And keep the treats coming.

Yeah, no such thing as "too many" treats for Bubba.

I gave him some of my pastrami lunch. He *loves* pastrami.

He's been wearing it for an hour or so and finally
quit crying and trying to back out of it...

Rene S.
July 30th 08, 08:34 PM
Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"

CatNipped[_2_]
July 30th 08, 08:41 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
>>> Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
>>> that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
>>> without me having to chase him around the rest stop.
>>>
>>> I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
>>> designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
>>> and put it on him around the house to give him
>>> a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
>>> I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
>>> too happy with the imposition in spite of
>>> additional treats.
>>>
>>> If looks could kill...
>>>
>>> I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
>>> having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
>>> so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
>>> of time before I try to use the leash too.
>>>
>>> Any helpful hints or suggestions?
>>
>>Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be careful
>>not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle out of them
>>and
>>you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway if he gets spooked by
>>something!
>>

> Thanks.
>
> I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
> and tighten it up if it needs it later...

That sounds like a good plan to me! Sorry to be the worry-wort (I get it
from my mother)! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Bobblespin
July 30th 08, 09:03 PM
(Claude V. Lucas) wrote in
:

> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Due to a pending car trip, I'm trying to acclimate
>>> Bubba the 25Lb Maine Coon to a harness and leash so
>>> that he can have an occasional break from the carrier
>>> without me having to chase him around the rest stop.
>>>
>>> I got a harness from the Pet Labyrinth that is
>>> designed for a small-medium dog (don't tell him)
>>> and put it on him around the house to give him
>>> a chance to get used to it. It's not too tight,
>>> I can slide both hands under it, but he's none
>>> too happy with the imposition in spite of
>>> additional treats.
>>>
>>> If looks could kill...
>>>
>>> I'm figuring to get him used to the harness by
>>> having him wear it while I can keep an eye on him
>>> so nothing catastrophic happens for increasing periods
>>> of time before I try to use the leash too.
>>>
>>> Any helpful hints or suggestions?
>>
>>Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be
>>careful not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle
>>out of them and you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway
>>if he gets spooked by something!
>>

> Thanks.
>
> I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
> and tighten it up if it needs it later...

Yes, do make it snug when he's used to it. Some of mine used to back-up
out of their harness when something scared them.

Bobble

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 08, 09:06 PM
In article >,
bobblespin > wrote:
(Claude V. Lucas) wrote in
:

>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>Nope, I think what you're doing is fine. One caution, through, be
>>>careful not to make the harness *too* loose - I've seen cats wriggle
>>>out of them and you don't want that to happen next to a busy highway
>>>if he gets spooked by something!
>>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> I'm gonna start it off loose to minimize the angst on his part
>> and tighten it up if it needs it later...
>
>Yes, do make it snug when he's used to it. Some of mine used to back-up
>out of their harness when something scared them.

He's already tried the "back-up" trick, but without it hooked
to anything he's just been backing up in circles.

Kinda funny in a sad way.

I wish I had a video camera...

Claude V. Lucas
July 30th 08, 09:10 PM
In article >,
Rene S. > wrote:
>Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
>when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"

Outside will be the *real* ordeal.

Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats.

I'm serious.

The last time I took him outside he started howling
like I was sticking pins in him or something.

That was *carrying* him without even putting him down on the ground.

honeybunch
July 31st 08, 02:53 PM
On Jul 30, 4:10 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Rene S. > wrote:
> >Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
> >when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"
>
> Outside will be the *real* ordeal.
>
> Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats.
>
> I'm serious.
>
> The last time I took him outside he started howling
> like I was sticking pins in him or something.
>
> That was *carrying* him without even putting him down on the ground.

If Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats
under the best of circumstances, why would you think he would like to
stroll around a truck stop? A friend of mine traveled by car cross
country with her daughter's cat which she was bringing to her in
Seattle. She kept the cat loose in the car. He slept most of the
time naturally. He did his business at night in his kitty litter box
in the motel where she fed him. I really wasnt a problem. If Bubba
weighs 25 pounds perhaps he is lethargic anyway. Why keep him in a
carrier? How long is the trip? Bubba will be happiest without the
halter loose in the car.

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 05:03 PM
In article >,
honeybunch > wrote:
>On Jul 30, 4:10 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Rene S. > wrote:
>> >Just time and patience. He'll get used to it. My Tucker will now purr
>> >when I get his out--because that means and outside "walk!"
>>
>> Outside will be the *real* ordeal.
>>
>> Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats.
>>
>> I'm serious.
>>
>> The last time I took him outside he started howling
>> like I was sticking pins in him or something.
>>
>> That was *carrying* him without even putting him down on the ground.
>
>If Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats
>under the best of circumstances, why would you think he would like to
>stroll around a truck stop? A friend of mine traveled by car cross
>country with her daughter's cat which she was bringing to her in
>Seattle. She kept the cat loose in the car. He slept most of the
>time naturally. He did his business at night in his kitty litter box
>in the motel where she fed him. I really wasnt a problem. If Bubba
>weighs 25 pounds perhaps he is lethargic anyway. Why keep him in a
>carrier? How long is the trip? Bubba will be happiest without the
>halter loose in the car.

Well,

I'm thinking "rest stop" rather than "truck stop" which is
more like a park and less like a pit stop at a raceway.

He likes the carrier about as much as he'd like being
sent naked though a carwash so I plan on giving him a break
when I can. I'm not about to let him run loose without
some sort of restraint, because I don't think I could
catch him if he panics and bolts. Even though he's big
he's not fat. I can feel his backbone & ribs when I pet
him. He's not exactly "lethargic" either until the temp
gets up over 100F or so, then *I'm* lethargic too. I plan
on motelling at night, but I want to give him food & water
during the day as well as let him out to stretch as best
he can on a leash. We're gonna be in the car 4 or 5 days
going cross-country...

He seems to be accepting the harness fairly well. Instead
of dagger eyes he's now merely giving the "Why Me?" look.

cybercat
July 31st 08, 05:46 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :

> I'm thinking "rest stop" rather than "truck stop" which is
> more like a park and less like a pit stop at a raceway.
>
> He likes the carrier about as much as he'd like being
> sent naked though a carwash so I plan on giving him a break
> when I can.

Claude, he's probably too big for it. I wonder if a dog carrier might not be
better?

I'm not about to let him run loose without
> some sort of restraint, because I don't think I could
> catch him if he panics and bolts. Even though he's big
> he's not fat. I can feel his backbone & ribs when I pet
> him. He's not exactly "lethargic" either until the temp
> gets up over 100F or so, then *I'm* lethargic too. I plan
> on motelling at night, but I want to give him food & water
> during the day as well as let him out to stretch as best
> he can on a leash. We're gonna be in the car 4 or 5 days
> going cross-country...

I traveled with my first cat years ago, from Houston to Raleigh. It was the
car she was afraid of more than anything else. We stopped every night at a
hotel, and the funny thing is, though she howled nearly the whole way in the
car (in the carrier) as soon as we hit the hotel, she was perfectly fine.
One thing you should definitely do is find out which hotels on your route
allow pets. I did not do this and so there was the added stress of sneaking
her in to hotels.

The harness is a good idea even if he stayed in the carrier, in case he
tries to bolt. But do be very careful if you take him outside, even on the
leash. People have lost animals that way.

> He seems to be accepting the harness fairly well. Instead
> of dagger eyes he's now merely giving the "Why Me?" look.

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 06:00 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>

>> I'm thinking "rest stop" rather than "truck stop" which is
>> more like a park and less like a pit stop at a raceway.
>>
>> He likes the carrier about as much as he'd like being
>> sent naked though a carwash so I plan on giving him a break
>> when I can.
>
>Claude, he's probably too big for it. I wonder if a dog carrier might not be
>better?

It's big enough for him to turn around in and stretch out in.

He's just a drama queen that doesn't like anything that's
not food-related. :^) If he was orange, he'd be Garfield.

>I'm not about to let him run loose without
>> some sort of restraint, because I don't think I could
>> catch him if he panics and bolts. Even though he's big
>> he's not fat. I can feel his backbone & ribs when I pet
>> him. He's not exactly "lethargic" either until the temp
>> gets up over 100F or so, then *I'm* lethargic too. I plan
>> on motelling at night, but I want to give him food & water
>> during the day as well as let him out to stretch as best
>> he can on a leash. We're gonna be in the car 4 or 5 days
>> going cross-country...
>
>I traveled with my first cat years ago, from Houston to Raleigh. It was the
>car she was afraid of more than anything else. We stopped every night at a
>hotel, and the funny thing is, though she howled nearly the whole way in the
>car (in the carrier) as soon as we hit the hotel, she was perfectly fine.
>One thing you should definitely do is find out which hotels on your route
>allow pets. I did not do this and so there was the added stress of sneaking
>her in to hotels.

I plan on doing that. I'm also going to change his catbox over
to one with a cover so I can take it along for him to have
a familiar place to go...

There's a bunch of websites that list pet-friendly motels...

>The harness is a good idea even if he stayed in the carrier, in case he
>tries to bolt. But do be very careful if you take him outside, even on the
>leash. People have lost animals that way.

Yeah.

He's usually pretty placid and likes to hang out close to me.

He's laying across my feet as I type this.

I don't plan on giving him a chance to run off.

Cheryl[_4_]
August 2nd 08, 01:38 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message news:4891e250$0$17180

>>If Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats
>>under the best of circumstances, why would you think he would like to
>>stroll around a truck stop? A friend of mine traveled by car cross
>>country with her daughter's cat which she was bringing to her in
>>Seattle. She kept the cat loose in the car. He slept most of the
>>time naturally. He did his business at night in his kitty litter box
>>in the motel where she fed him. I really wasnt a problem. If Bubba
>>weighs 25 pounds perhaps he is lethargic anyway. Why keep him in a
>>carrier? How long is the trip? Bubba will be happiest without the
>>halter loose in the car.
>
> Well,
>
> I'm thinking "rest stop" rather than "truck stop" which is
> more like a park and less like a pit stop at a raceway.
>
> He likes the carrier about as much as he'd like being
> sent naked though a carwash so I plan on giving him a break
> when I can. I'm not about to let him run loose without
> some sort of restraint, because I don't think I could
> catch him if he panics and bolts. Even though he's big
> he's not fat. I can feel his backbone & ribs when I pet
> him. He's not exactly "lethargic" either until the temp
> gets up over 100F or so, then *I'm* lethargic too. I plan
> on motelling at night, but I want to give him food & water
> during the day as well as let him out to stretch as best
> he can on a leash. We're gonna be in the car 4 or 5 days
> going cross-country...
>
> He seems to be accepting the harness fairly well. Instead
> of dagger eyes he's now merely giving the "Why Me?" look.

Smart move. I would never let an animal loose in a car. I've actually seen
one jump out of the window of a car in heavy traffic and it was killed. It
was horrible to see.

Claude V. Lucas
August 2nd 08, 02:02 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message news:4891e250$0$17180
>
>>>If Bubba hates outside more than he hates anything besides other cats
>>>under the best of circumstances, why would you think he would like to
>>>stroll around a truck stop? A friend of mine traveled by car cross
>>>country with her daughter's cat which she was bringing to her in
>>>Seattle. She kept the cat loose in the car. He slept most of the
>>>time naturally. He did his business at night in his kitty litter box
>>>in the motel where she fed him. I really wasnt a problem. If Bubba
>>>weighs 25 pounds perhaps he is lethargic anyway. Why keep him in a
>>>carrier? How long is the trip? Bubba will be happiest without the
>>>halter loose in the car.
>>
>> Well,
>>
>> I'm thinking "rest stop" rather than "truck stop" which is
>> more like a park and less like a pit stop at a raceway.
>>
>> He likes the carrier about as much as he'd like being
>> sent naked though a carwash so I plan on giving him a break
>> when I can. I'm not about to let him run loose without
>> some sort of restraint, because I don't think I could
>> catch him if he panics and bolts. Even though he's big
>> he's not fat. I can feel his backbone & ribs when I pet
>> him. He's not exactly "lethargic" either until the temp
>> gets up over 100F or so, then *I'm* lethargic too. I plan
>> on motelling at night, but I want to give him food & water
>> during the day as well as let him out to stretch as best
>> he can on a leash. We're gonna be in the car 4 or 5 days
>> going cross-country...
>>
>> He seems to be accepting the harness fairly well. Instead
>> of dagger eyes he's now merely giving the "Why Me?" look.
>
>Smart move. I would never let an animal loose in a car. I've actually seen
>one jump out of the window of a car in heavy traffic and it was killed. It
>was horrible to see.

Yeah. I'm not gonna let anything like that happen.

Outsider
August 2nd 08, 04:50 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in
:

> Smart move. I would never let an animal loose in a car. I've
> actually seen one jump out of the window of a car in heavy traffic and
> it was killed. It was horrible to see.

I got into a major war on r.p.c pre-split because I dared to bake someone
who let their cat escape their car at a rest-stop and it got killed. Many
of the other offered sympathy and thought I was too harsh. WTF?!

I also thought it could have even been bogus since it (the post) was very
"well written" Those were the days.