PDA

View Full Version : Boo's Boobie Update

cybercat
July 30th 08, 11:49 PM
She is definitely tired of being felt up. :)

No new lumps, but I am wondering how long the incision will feel like it
still has stitches in it. (I know it doesn't because I watched them take
them out.)

Cheryl[_4_]
July 31st 08, 02:22 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> She is definitely tired of being felt up. :)
>
> No new lumps, but I am wondering how long the incision will feel like it
> still has stitches in it. (I know it doesn't because I watched them take
> them out.)

Scarlett had a nasty wound from when the vet had to go back in after she got
infected spay post op. It took a long time for it to feel normal. Glad Boo
has no new lumps.

Candace
July 31st 08, 03:16 AM
On Jul 30, 3:49*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> She is definitely tired of being felt up. :)
>
> No new lumps, but I am wondering how long the incision will feel like it
> still has stitches in it. (I know it doesn't because I watched them take
> them out.)

I think maybe awhile, I think it's sort of scar tissue.

cybercat
July 31st 08, 06:19 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
. ..
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> She is definitely tired of being felt up. :)
>>
>> No new lumps, but I am wondering how long the incision will feel like it
>> still has stitches in it. (I know it doesn't because I watched them take
>> them out.)
>>

> Scarlett had a nasty wound from when the vet had to go back in after she
> got infected spay post op. It took a long time for it to feel normal.
> Glad Boo has no new lumps.

Cheryl, do you still use that vet?

The vet said to be ready for tumors to pop up with some regularity, because
mammary tumors tend to be aggressive in cats, so I'll keep checking. The
great thing is, if we are lucky, we can catch them before they become
malignant. If 80% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant, it makes sense to
me that the reason this one is benign may be attributed to the fact that we
caught it early.

-L.
July 31st 08, 11:34 AM
On Jul 30, 10:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Cheryl, do you still use that vet?
>
> The vet said to be ready for tumors to pop up with some regularity, because
> mammary tumors tend to be aggressive in cats, so I'll keep checking. The
> great thing is, if we are lucky, we can catch them before they become
> malignant. If 80% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant, it makes sense to
> me that the reason this one is benign may be attributed to the fact that we
> caught it early.

Hey - don't know Boo's whole story (I assume you had a mammary tumor
removed) but I can tell you that my Mimi had one around age 2 and
never developed another. The vet was concerned that it was malignant,
did a aspirate biopsy and it came back negative. He removed it, it
cleared up, and that was it. He said that female cats will sometimes
have cells that swell in prep to make milk, but they stop developing
and can make a tumor. (Or something along those lines - this was ...16
years ago!) Anyway, just want to give you some encouragement that it
may just be a fluke.

-L.

cybercat
July 31st 08, 05:37 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
> On Jul 30, 10:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Cheryl, do you still use that vet?
>>
>> The vet said to be ready for tumors to pop up with some regularity,
>> because
>> mammary tumors tend to be aggressive in cats, so I'll keep checking. The
>> great thing is, if we are lucky, we can catch them before they become
>> malignant. If 80% of mammary tumors in cats are malignant, it makes sense
>> me that the reason this one is benign may be attributed to the fact that
>> we
>> caught it early.
>
> Hey - don't know Boo's whole story (I assume you had a mammary tumor
> removed) but I can tell you that my Mimi had one around age 2 and
> never developed another.

I thought I recalled something like that. She was a lucky girl.

>The vet was concerned that it was malignant,
> did a aspirate biopsy and it came back negative. He removed it, it
> cleared up, and that was it.

Was it a hard lump, if you recall? That was what made it so scary, to me. It
was exactly the kind of thing they tell women to look out for.

He said that female cats will sometimes
> have cells that swell in prep to make milk, but they stop developing
> and can make a tumor. (Or something along those lines - this was ...16
> years ago!) Anyway, just want to give you some encouragement that it
> may just be a fluke.

That is encouraging. Mimi lived to a good old age, hopefully Boo will too.
Thanks, L.

-L.
August 3rd 08, 12:33 AM
On Jul 31, 9:37 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Was it a hard lump, if you recall? That was what made it so scary, to me. It
> was exactly the kind of thing they tell women to look out for.

I don't remember. It was the size and approximate shape of a quail
egg when I found it. I know it wasn't "squishy" at all, LOL...

> He said that female cats will sometimes
>
> > have cells that swell in prep to make milk, but they stop developing
> > and can make a tumor. (Or something along those lines - this was ...16
> > years ago!) Anyway, just want to give you some encouragement that it
> > may just be a fluke.
>
> That is encouraging. Mimi lived to a good old age, hopefully Boo will too.
> Thanks, L.

Hopefully it will be her one and only.
Good luck to her!

-L.

cybercat
August 3rd 08, 03:12 AM
"-L." > wrote :

> I don't remember. It was the size and approximate shape of a quail
> egg when I found it. I know it wasn't "squishy" at all, LOL...

That was pretty big. I think you were lucky too.

> Hopefully it will be her one and only.
> Good luck to her!

Thanks so much. I just got finished petting her to a gorgeous shine and
sneaking in some booby feels as she got sleepy. She seems fine now.

It's weird to think about you being catless, though I understand why. It
must feel weird for you too.

LauraM[_2_]
August 3rd 08, 03:57 PM
On Aug 2, 7:12*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "-L." > wrote :
>
> > I don't remember. *It was the size and approximate shape of a quail
> > egg when I found it. I know it wasn't "squishy" at all, LOL...
>
> That was pretty big. I think you were lucky too.
>

> > Hopefully it will be her one and only.
> > Good luck to her!
>
> Thanks so much. I just got finished petting her to a gorgeous shine and
> sneaking in some booby feels as she got sleepy. She seems fine now.
>
> It's weird to think about you being catless, though I understand why. It
> must feel weird for you too.

Glad your Boo is better. I don't know the whole story, but after
seeing your website and reading your posts, I know you are definitely
a lover of cats. Hobbes sends his best wishes too. meeeeoowww!!

cybercat
August 3rd 08, 05:31 PM
"LauraM" > wrote :

>Glad your Boo is better. I don't know the whole story, but after
>seeing your website and reading your posts, I know you are definitely
>a lover of cats. Hobbes sends his best wishes too. meeeeoowww!!

Thank, Laura. You're a really nice addition to the group.

The main thing is, if you feel a lump, go get it checked out. (On your cat
or you ...!) I found a lump, had her at the vet the next day, had it out the
next morning, and the pathology says it was benign, though some 80% of
mammary tumors in cats are malignant. The total, from initial vet visit to
stitches out? $350. Could we have used it for something else? You bet. Would
I have found a way to come up with it if we had not had it at that moment?
Absolutely. She's 14--and could live to be 20 with good care, and we love
her. I know you would do the same for your gorgeous Hobbes.

LauraM[_2_]
August 3rd 08, 07:58 PM
On Aug 3, 9:31*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote :
>
> >Glad your Boo is better. *I don't know the whole story, but after
> >seeing your website and reading your posts, I know you are definitely
> >a lover of cats. *Hobbes sends *his best wishes too. *meeeeoowww!!
>
> Thank, Laura. You're a really nice addition to the group.
>
> The main thing is, if you feel a lump, go get it checked out. (On your cat
> or you ...!) I found a lump, had her at the vet the next day, had it out the
> next morning, and the pathology says it was benign, though some 80% of
> mammary tumors in cats are malignant. The total, from initial vet visit to
> stitches out? $350. Could we have used it for something else? You bet. Would
> I have found a way to come up with it if we had not had it at that moment?
> Absolutely. She's 14--and could live to be 20 with good care, and we love
> her. I know you would do the same for your gorgeous Hobbes.

Absolutely I would have it checked out just as you did. I don't mess
around when it comes to the health of anyone in our family, and Hobbes
is an important part of our family. (Our "gorgeous Hobbes" that is.
I knew I liked you!)

Phil P.
August 4th 08, 10:25 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> The main thing is, if you feel a lump, go get it checked out. (On your cat
> or you ...!) I found a lump, had her at the vet the next day, had it out
the
> next morning,

That was the right call and right on time. You didn't whine about not
wanting to put a cat "at her age through surgery".

and the pathology says it was benign, though some 80% of
> mammary tumors in cats are malignant.

And ~80% of those metastasize to the liver, kidneys, lymph nodes.

The total, from initial vet visit to
> stitches out? $350. Could we have used it for something else? You bet.
Would
> I have found a way to come up with it if we had not had it at that moment?
> Absolutely. She's 14--and could live to be 20 with good care,

Absatively! If it was malignant and you whined about not wanting to put a
cat "at her age through surgery" like we hear so much in this group, she
wouldn't see 15.

and we love
> her. I know you would do the same for your gorgeous Hobbes.

You made all the right calls- I always get a knot in my stomach when I
hear mammary lump. I'm really happy it turned out so well.

Keep feeling those boobs!

Phil

-L.
August 4th 08, 12:30 PM
On Aug 2, 7:12 pm, "cybercat" >

> Thanks so much. I just got finished petting her to a gorgeous shine and
> sneaking in some booby feels as she got sleepy. She seems fine now.

She's probably wondering what all the fuss was about, LOL!

> It's weird to think about you being catless, though I understand why. It
> must feel weird for you too.

Oh, it's completely weird. I know I will have another cat someday,
somewhere. We have plans to eventually buy land - part of that I
would like to make into a cat sanctuary, with a big barn full of
kitties. :)

-L.

cybercat
August 4th 08, 03:28 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

> You made all the right calls- I always get a knot in my stomach when I
> hear mammary lump. I'm really happy it turned out so well.

Thanks, Phil. I don't know what we would do without you.

> Keep feeling those boobs!

You bet! ;)