PDA

View Full Version : Wet & Dry Food

LauraM[_2_]
July 31st 08, 06:06 PM
A little over a month ago, I started giving my beloved main coon,
Hobbes, some wet food along with his TD dry food. I've been giving
him half a can in the morning and half a can in the evening with dry
food in between. Physically he looks great! His coat is shiny,
alert, eyes are clear, and he's not throwing up anymore.

The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. I'm sure it's
this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
had him. Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.

Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? I'm ignoring him
but it's so hard!! You know how cute they can be. :)

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 06:24 PM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>A little over a month ago, I started giving my beloved main coon,
>Hobbes, some wet food along with his TD dry food. I've been giving
>him half a can in the morning and half a can in the evening with dry
>food in between. Physically he looks great! His coat is shiny,
>alert, eyes are clear, and he's not throwing up anymore.
>
>The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. I'm sure it's
>this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
>had him. Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
>meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.
>
>Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? I'm ignoring him
>but it's so hard!! You know how cute they can be. :)

I've tried to switch Bubba the Maine Coon to wet food. He'll eat
most kinds except the kind with the little squares in it. Of course,
at 25 lbs he'll eat most anything. :^). He plays the same act until
I put out some kibble. When I got him he had a problem of gobbling
the kibble that the shelter gave me with him and puking it back up.
It's as if he thought it would be his last meal or something. I
switched him to Royal Canin Maine Coon formula and he's been good
on that for a couple of years now. I can't free feed him, because
he'll eat up whatever amount I put out for him. I tried that at
first and he fattened up a bit too much. I discovered through
trial & error a good ration for him and he's now a relatively
lean 25 and doesn't beg for cat food. When *I'm* eating he demands
a taste, of course. I usually give up a small bit depending on what
I'm eating but not too much. It's my fault I spoiled him for people
chow, but it's tough to ignore a cute little 25 Lb cat sitting on
one's feet, begging, at dinner time. :^)

He's good about drinking water on his own so I don't worry too much
about him staying hydrated.

Anyway, since he'd eat the wet food as an appetizer and then
whine for kibble I figured, why bother? It seemed as if it was
only making him fatter.

---MIKE---
July 31st 08, 06:32 PM
Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
breakfast and dinner.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene S.
July 31st 08, 07:11 PM
> The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. *I'm sure it's
> this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
> had him. *Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
> meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.
>
> Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? *I'm ignoring him
> but it's so hard!! *You know how cute they can be. *:)

IME it's usually the dry food that doesn't fill them up. You could dry
adding some water to the canned food to trick him into thinking he's
getting more. I did this when one of mine was on a diet and it really
helped. What kind of canned is it BTW?

LauraM[_2_]
July 31st 08, 08:19 PM
On Jul 31, 10:32*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. *He gets mostly canned (Wellness
> chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. *He will eat all
> that I put down so I don't put down much. *He and Amber split a can at
> breakfast and dinner.
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)

CatNipped[_2_]
July 31st 08, 08:29 PM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
On Jul 31, 10:32 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
> chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
> that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
> breakfast and dinner.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)

Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
open the cans and add their medicine.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 08:43 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"LauraM" > wrote in message
>On Jul 31, 10:32 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
>> chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
>> that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
>> breakfast and dinner.
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

>How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
>and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
>Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
>food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
>I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
>a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)

>Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
>open the cans and add their medicine.

20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...

Outsider
July 31st 08, 09:02 PM
LauraM > wrote in news:d770d624-fdd1-4dc4-a9a2-
:

> On Jul 31, 10:32*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. *He gets mostly canned (Wellness
>> chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. *He will eat all
>> that I put down so I don't put down much. *He and Amber split a can at
>> breakfast and dinner.
>>
>> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of
> New Hampshire
>>
>> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')
>
> How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
> and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
> Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
> food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
> I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
> a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)

I give the brothers a 12.5 oz can of wellness (chicken) and a 5.5 oz can of
friskies each day. I mix it up with a bunch of water. The friskies has
chunks in it and maybe that matters to them (or not). I mix it and split
it up between 2 feedings. Not sure yet if the amount is right but so far
it seems close.

Outsider
July 31st 08, 09:04 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in news:65f38cb0-54fb-40ba-8e1f-
:

>> The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. *I'm sure it's
>> this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
>> had him. *Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
>> meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.
>>
>> Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? *I'm ignoring him
>> but it's so hard!! *You know how cute they can be. *:)
>
> IME it's usually the dry food that doesn't fill them up. You could dry
> adding some water to the canned food to trick him into thinking he's
> getting more. I did this when one of mine was on a diet and it really
> helped. What kind of canned is it BTW?

It also gets them to take more water than the thirst would if you don't add
the water. That is my experience at any rate. It also helps me get the
last stuff out of each can and keeps the food moist for a few more hours.

Andy

CatNipped[_2_]
July 31st 08, 09:16 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"LauraM" > wrote in message
>>On Jul 31, 10:32 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>>> Tiger is a 24 pound Maine Coon. He gets mostly canned (Wellness
>>> chicken) and a little dry food at noon and bedtime. He will eat all
>>> that I put down so I don't put down much. He and Amber split a can at
>>> breakfast and dinner.
>>>
>>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

>>How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
>>and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
>>Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
>>food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
>>I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
>>a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)
>>
>>=================================================
>>
>>Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
>>open the cans and add their medicine.
>>

> 20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...

Yep, but like Bubba it's mostly muscle (that gal is *strong* - it's
impossible to hold her still for anything she strenuously objects to). The
funny thing is that if you just look at her by herself, she doesn't look all
that big - she is so well proportioned. But when you see her next to
another, "normal" sized cat, it's jarring to say the least! ;>

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/100_0086.jpg (Sammy and
Jessie squirrel watching).

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Sammy21/DCP_2560.jpg (lying next to
Bandit (RB) who was also of Maine Coon heritage, but was not as big as
Sammy).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 09:24 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>How funny...you, Claude and I have Maine Coons! My Hobbes is 20 lbs
>>>and I thought he was a big cat. He's not fat, just all-over big like
>>>Maine Coons get. Hobbes eats all I put down as well, so I put down
>>>food throughout the day. I pre-measure the dry food in the morning so
>>>I don't accidentally feed him more. But now with this wet food, he's
>>>a maniac. He loves it. (I feed him Wellness.)
>>>
>>>=================================================
>>>
>>>Add me too - Sammy is 20+ pounds and waits by her bowl impatiently while I
>>>open the cans and add their medicine.
>>>

>> 20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...
>
>Yep, but like Bubba it's mostly muscle (that gal is *strong* - it's
>impossible to hold her still for anything she strenuously objects to). The
>funny thing is that if you just look at her by herself, she doesn't look all
>that big - she is so well proportioned. But when you see her next to
>another, "normal" sized cat, it's jarring to say the least! ;>
>
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/100_0086.jpg (Sammy and
>Jessie squirrel watching).
>
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Sammy21/DCP_2560.jpg (lying next to
>Bandit (RB) who was also of Maine Coon heritage, but was not as big as
>Sammy).

Pretty cats.

Bubba's really strong too. Fortunately he's really mellow too.

He'll hold still for maintenance activities like nail clipping
and combing even while he's crying or hissing over it.

He's got the hanging belly that makes hime look fatter than he is.

I try to not overfeed him so he won't get too heavy and have
problems in the future. I'd even feed him more canned food than
I do, but he doesn't seem to care for any of it as much as
the Royal Canin. He really seems to like that.

That's a normal sized couch that he's filling up...

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba03.jpg

CatNipped[_2_]
July 31st 08, 10:00 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

>>> 20 pounds is *huge* for a girly cat...
>>
>>Yep, but like Bubba it's mostly muscle (that gal is *strong* - it's
>>impossible to hold her still for anything she strenuously objects to).
>>The
>>funny thing is that if you just look at her by herself, she doesn't look
>>all
>>that big - she is so well proportioned. But when you see her next to
>>another, "normal" sized cat, it's jarring to say the least! ;>
>>
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/100_0086.jpg (Sammy and
>>Jessie squirrel watching).
>>
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Sammy21/DCP_2560.jpg (lying next
>>Bandit (RB) who was also of Maine Coon heritage, but was not as big as
>>Sammy).
>>

> Pretty cats.
>
> Bubba's really strong too. Fortunately he's really mellow too.
>
> He'll hold still for maintenance activities like nail clipping
> and combing even while he's crying or hissing over it.

Man, are you lucky - I have only about enough time to heal from the last one
before nail clipping time comes around again! And don't go anywhere near
her with a brush in your had, she starts growling before it reaches her
hair.

> He's got the hanging belly that makes hime look fatter than he is.

Yep, Sammy too. But like you, I can feel ribs and backbone and she's not
all *that* wide when you look at her from above, so even though she could
probably stand to lose a pound, she's not seriously overweight.

> I try to not overfeed him so he won't get too heavy and have
> problems in the future. I'd even feed him more canned food than
> I do, but he doesn't seem to care for any of it as much as
> the Royal Canin. He really seems to like that.
>
> That's a normal sized couch that he's filling up...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba03.jpg

Yep, he's a big 'un alright! Gorgeous too!

Hugs,

CatNipped

James
July 31st 08, 10:13 PM
On Jul 31, 1:24*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> When *I'm* eating he demands
> a taste, of course. I usually give up a small bit depending on what
> I'm eating but not too much. It's my fault I spoiled him for people
> chow, but it's tough to ignore a cute little 25 Lb cat sitting on
> one's feet, begging, at dinner time. :^)

My pussy used to sniff and taste food on my plate. She doesn't do
that any more after turning up her nose too many times. When she was
a kitten she loved the chicken from the Chinese buffet but one day she
just refused it and will not eat it any more.

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 10:20 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>Yep, but like Bubba it's mostly muscle (that gal is *strong* - it's
>>>impossible to hold her still for anything she strenuously objects to).
>>>The
>>>funny thing is that if you just look at her by herself, she doesn't look
>>>all
>>>that big - she is so well proportioned. But when you see her next to
>>>another, "normal" sized cat, it's jarring to say the least! ;>
>>>
>>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/100_0086.jpg (Sammy and
>>>Jessie squirrel watching).
>>>
>>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Sammy21/DCP_2560.jpg (lying next
>>>Bandit (RB) who was also of Maine Coon heritage, but was not as big as
>>>Sammy).
>>>

>> Pretty cats.
>>
>> Bubba's really strong too. Fortunately he's really mellow too.
>>
>> He'll hold still for maintenance activities like nail clipping
>> and combing even while he's crying or hissing over it.
>
>Man, are you lucky - I have only about enough time to heal from the last one
>before nail clipping time comes around again! And don't go anywhere near
>her with a brush in your had, she starts growling before it reaches her
>hair.

He growls and hisses and cries but I've learned he won't do anything
too violent even though he's bit me a few times here and there. I
just ignore the noise.

I always do the claws before the combout though. :^)

I *have* to comb him every couple of weeks or else his fur
gets really matted. When I got him I had to have his belly
shaved because it was so bad.

I've used the Furminator on him a few times too. If we didn't
live in Nevada I probably wouldn't, but it gets *so* hot some
days the ac struggles to keep it under 90 degrees in the house
and he's miserable with a thick coat. Right now he's laying on
the floor on his back with his feet in the air in the cool air
stream... 115 outside right now. 86 inside...

>> He's got the hanging belly that makes hime look fatter than he is.
>
>Yep, Sammy too. But like you, I can feel ribs and backbone and she's not
>all *that* wide when you look at her from above, so even though she could
>probably stand to lose a pound, she's not seriously overweight.

Bubba could probably stand to be a pound or so lighter too, he looks
like he swallowed a tennis ball or something from above.

He's been eating a bit less in the heat anyway so maybe he'll shrink a bit.

>> I try to not overfeed him so he won't get too heavy and have
>> problems in the future. I'd even feed him more canned food than
>> I do, but he doesn't seem to care for any of it as much as
>> the Royal Canin. He really seems to like that.
>>
>> That's a normal sized couch that he's filling up...
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba03.jpg
>
>Yep, he's a big 'un alright! Gorgeous too!
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
July 31st 08, 10:41 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

>>> Pretty cats.
>>>
>>> Bubba's really strong too. Fortunately he's really mellow too.
>>>
>>> He'll hold still for maintenance activities like nail clipping
>>> and combing even while he's crying or hissing over it.
>>
>>Man, are you lucky - I have only about enough time to heal from the last
>>one
>>before nail clipping time comes around again! And don't go anywhere near
>>her with a brush in your had, she starts growling before it reaches her
>>hair.
>
> He growls and hisses and cries but I've learned he won't do anything
> too violent even though he's bit me a few times here and there. I
> just ignore the noise.

Sammy will tear me up - people at work think I'm crazy when they see huge
bite marks all up and down my arms. It's totally unnecessary though, if DH
would let *me* hold her while he clips she would connect with his arm
because I know how to scruff a cat correctly - but (and don't tell him I
said this ;>) he's too big a wuss to take any chances around her teeth! ;>

> I always do the claws before the combout though. :^)

Fer shure - the bite wounds are bad enough without being sliced open from
shoulder to wrist! ;>

> I *have* to comb him every couple of weeks or else his fur
> gets really matted. When I got him I had to have his belly
> shaved because it was so bad.

Yeah, I try to do a little bit every day with the slicker just to keep it
from getting matted.

> I've used the Furminator on him a few times too. If we didn't
> live in Nevada I probably wouldn't, but it gets *so* hot some
> days the ac struggles to keep it under 90 degrees in the house
> and he's miserable with a thick coat. Right now he's laying on
> the floor on his back with his feet in the air in the cool air
> stream... 115 outside right now. 86 inside...

LOL! That's a perfect description of how Sammy lays around the house - it
much be a Maine Coon thing because none of my other cats lay like that.

>>> He's got the hanging belly that makes hime look fatter than he is.
>>
>>Yep, Sammy too. But like you, I can feel ribs and backbone and she's not
>>all *that* wide when you look at her from above, so even though she could
>>probably stand to lose a pound, she's not seriously overweight.
>
> Bubba could probably stand to be a pound or so lighter too, he looks
> like he swallowed a tennis ball or something from above.
>
> He's been eating a bit less in the heat anyway so maybe he'll shrink a
> bit.

Since my DH keeps our thermostat set on deep freeze, she doesn't get hot
enough to not want to eat (in fact I can't think of any reason she would not
eat! ;>).

Hugs,

CatNipped

>>> I try to not overfeed him so he won't get too heavy and have
>>> problems in the future. I'd even feed him more canned food than
>>> I do, but he doesn't seem to care for any of it as much as
>>> the Royal Canin. He really seems to like that.
>>>
>>> That's a normal sized couch that he's filling up...
>>>
>>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba03.jpg
>>
>>Yep, he's a big 'un alright! Gorgeous too!
>>
>>Hugs,
>>
>>CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
July 31st 08, 11:05 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:

>>>Man, are you lucky - I have only about enough time to heal from the last
>>>one
>>>before nail clipping time comes around again! And don't go anywhere near
>>>her with a brush in your had, she starts growling before it reaches her
>>>hair.
>>
>> He growls and hisses and cries but I've learned he won't do anything
>> too violent even though he's bit me a few times here and there. I
>> just ignore the noise.
>
>Sammy will tear me up - people at work think I'm crazy when they see huge
>bite marks all up and down my arms. It's totally unnecessary though, if DH
>would let *me* hold her while he clips she would connect with his arm
>because I know how to scruff a cat correctly - but (and don't tell him I
>said this ;>) he's too big a wuss to take any chances around her teeth! ;>
>

>> I always do the claws before the combout though. :^)
>
>Fer shure - the bite wounds are bad enough without being sliced open from
>shoulder to wrist! ;>

http://www.work-gloves.4ursafety.com/prdctpgs/kevlar.html

1/2 :^)

>> He's been eating a bit less in the heat anyway so maybe he'll shrink a
>> bit.
>
>Since my DH keeps our thermostat set on deep freeze, she doesn't get hot
>enough to not want to eat (in fact I can't think of any reason she would not
>eat! ;>).

Bubba always will eat.

He just leaves a bit in the bowl when it's hot instead of cleaning it.

cybercat
August 1st 08, 01:19 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
>A little over a month ago, I started giving my beloved main coon,
> Hobbes, some wet food along with his TD dry food. I've been giving
> him half a can in the morning and half a can in the evening with dry
> food in between. Physically he looks great! His coat is shiny,
> alert, eyes are clear, and he's not throwing up anymore.

This is one reason I really believe canned is good for them--because I can
see it in their coats, their eyes, their energy levels. The only thing I
have to watch is that they both love it so much they sometimes eat too fast
and hurl it all up in the morning. I have some Science Diet dry to give Boo
when she wolfs her canned food and comes begging later. But when she came to
us, she was obese, being freefed "diet Iams" dry. Her coat was dull and had
dandruff, and she had very low energy. Gracie has allergies and asthma, and
replacing her dry with canned greatly reduced her episodes. I still leave
dry out for her, as she likes it, and has trouble maintaining 7.5 lbs. She
is just not as interested in food as Boo is. (I feed her up on a table Boo
cannot get up on to keep Boo from scarfing her food down.)

> The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. I'm sure it's
> this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
> had him. Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
> meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.
>
> Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? I'm ignoring him
> but it's so hard!! You know how cute they can be. :)

My cats' enthusiasm for feeding time really increased when I began feeding
canned food. They are stuck on Fancy Feast, though I have tried Wellness and
Eukanuba and Nutro and many others. I buy the flavors with real meat, not
byproducts, as the first ingredient, and with no wheat gluten because I
think grains are what Gracie is allergic to. Boo begs too! She even slaps at
my feet when I pass through the kitchen and do not feed her.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 01:21 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:

>>> He growls and hisses and cries but I've learned he won't do anything
>>> too violent even though he's bit me a few times here and there. I
>>> just ignore the noise.
>>
>>Sammy will tear me up - people at work think I'm crazy when they see huge
>>bite marks all up and down my arms. It's totally unnecessary though, if
>>DH
>>would let *me* hold her while he clips she would connect with his arm
>>because I know how to scruff a cat correctly - but (and don't tell him I
>>said this ;>) he's too big a wuss to take any chances around her teeth!
>>;>
>>

>>> I always do the claws before the combout though. :^)
>>
>>Fer shure - the bite wounds are bad enough without being sliced open from
>>shoulder to wrist! ;>
>

> http://www.work-gloves.4ursafety.com/prdctpgs/kevlar.html
>
> 1/2 :^)

ROTFLMAO! Yep, those might be worth the asking price in skin saved!!

>>> He's been eating a bit less in the heat anyway so maybe he'll shrink a
>>> bit.
>>
>>Since my DH keeps our thermostat set on deep freeze, she doesn't get hot
>>enough to not want to eat (in fact I can't think of any reason she would
>>not
>>eat! ;>).
>>

> Bubba always will eat.
>
> He just leaves a bit in the bowl when it's hot instead of cleaning it.

Yeah, why do cats do that? It's like they're saving a bit "just in case".
;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 08, 01:38 AM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>

>> http://www.work-gloves.4ursafety.com/prdctpgs/kevlar.html
>>
>> 1/2 :^)
>
>ROTFLMAO! Yep, those might be worth the asking price in skin saved!!

Especially the sleeves...

>>>Since my DH keeps our thermostat set on deep freeze, she doesn't get hot
>>>enough to not want to eat (in fact I can't think of any reason she would
>>>not
>>>eat! ;>).
>>>

>> Bubba always will eat.
>>
>> He just leaves a bit in the bowl when it's hot instead of cleaning it.
>
>Yeah, why do cats do that? It's like they're saving a bit "just in case".

I always give him the same amount twice a day.

If it's under a hundred or so he always finishes it within an hour or so.

Maybe he's just spreading it out a bit when it's hot.

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:03 AM
On Jul 31, 2:41*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in et...
>

> > In article >,
> > CatNipped > wrote:

> >>Man, are you lucky - I have only about enough time to heal from the last
> >>one
> >>before nail clipping time comes around again! *And don't go anywhere near
> >>her with a brush in your had, she starts growling before it reaches her
> >>hair.
>
> > He growls and hisses and cries but I've learned he won't do anything
> > too violent even though he's bit me a few times here and there. I
> > just ignore the noise.
>
> Sammy will tear me up - people at work think I'm crazy when they see huge
> bite marks all up and down my arms. *It's totally unnecessary though, if DH
> would let *me* hold her while he clips she would connect with his arm
> because I know how to scruff a cat correctly - but (and don't tell him I
> said this ;>) he's too big a wuss to take any chances around her teeth! *;>
>

> > I always do the claws before the combout though. :^)
>
> Fer shure - the bite wounds are bad enough without being sliced open from
> shoulder to wrist! *;>
>

> > I *have* to comb him every couple of weeks or else his fur
> > gets really matted. When I got him I had to have his belly
> > shaved because it was so bad.
>
> Yeah, I try to do a little bit every day with the slicker just to keep it
> from getting matted.
>

> > I've used the Furminator on him a few times too. If we didn't
> > live in Nevada I probably wouldn't, but it gets *so* hot some
> > days the ac struggles to keep it under 90 degrees in the house
> > and he's miserable with a thick coat. Right now he's laying on
> > the floor on his back with his feet in the air in the cool air
> > stream... 115 outside right now. 86 inside...
>
> LOL! *That's a perfect description of how Sammy lays around the house - it
> much be a Maine Coon thing because none of my other cats lay like that.

> >>Yep, Sammy too. *But like you, I can feel ribs and backbone and she's not
> >>all *that* wide when you look at her from above, so even though she could
> >>probably stand to lose a pound, she's not seriously overweight.
>
> > Bubba could probably stand to be a pound or so lighter too, he looks
> > like he swallowed a tennis ball or something from above.
>
> > He's been eating a bit less in the heat anyway so maybe he'll shrink a
> > bit.
>
> Since my DH keeps our thermostat set on deep freeze, she doesn't get hot
> enough to not want to eat (in fact I can't think of any reason she would not
> eat! *;>).
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

> >>Yep, he's a big 'un alright! *Gorgeous too!
>
> >>Hugs,
>
> >>CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
air! This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. He is such a lover
boy. He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. Or
any time for that matter. It is funny the size of these cats. I'm so
used to his size until I see someone else's cat. Then I realize how
big he really is.

I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
Hobbster. Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
picture of Sammy?

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:04 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> http://www.work-gloves.4ursafety.com/prdctpgs/kevlar.html
>>>
>>> 1/2 :^)
>>
>>ROTFLMAO! Yep, those might be worth the asking price in skin saved!!
>>

> Especially the sleeves...

>>> Bubba always will eat.
>>>
>>> He just leaves a bit in the bowl when it's hot instead of cleaning it.
>>
>>Yeah, why do cats do that? It's like they're saving a bit "just in case".
>
> I always give him the same amount twice a day.
>
> If it's under a hundred or so he always finishes it within an hour or so.
>
> Maybe he's just spreading it out a bit when it's hot.

I've tried, over and over, to do as Phil and others have suggested and put
the food down for only 20 minutes and then pick it back up. But my kitties
just won't eat it that quickly - they still like to "graze" all day long.
I'm so afraid that they won't get enough to eat - especially skinny little
Demi, so I give in and leave it down for them. I figure that 1) as I
stated, DH keeps the thermostat set on deep freeze and 2) I don't think even
canned food is going to spoil enough to make a cat sick within 12 hours in
an air-conditioned house!

Hugs,

CatNipped

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:07 AM
On Jul 31, 11:11*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > The only thing is that he's now demanding to be fed. *I'm sure it's
> > this wet food as he's never been this demanding in the 14 years I've
> > had him. *Honestly, it's almost humorous because he looks at me and
> > meows insistently as he sits by his bowl.
>
> > Does anybody have this experience with their kitty? *I'm ignoring him
> > but it's so hard!! *You know how cute they can be. *:)
>
> IME it's usually the dry food that doesn't fill them up. You could dry
> adding some water to the canned food to trick him into thinking he's
> getting more. I did this when one of mine was on a diet and it really
> helped. What kind of canned is it BTW?

It's Wellness. :)

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:08 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message

Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
air! This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. He is such a lover
boy. He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. Or
any time for that matter. It is funny the size of these cats. I'm so
used to his size until I see someone else's cat. Then I realize how
big he really is.

I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
Hobbster. Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
picture of Sammy?

You can use WebShots - and there are other sites out there where people can
share pictures. I'm sure someone here can tell you which one is best. I'd
*love* so see pictures of Hobbes!

Hehehe, "do I have a picture of Sammy?" - that's a dangerous question, it's
like asking a granny if she has pictures of her grandchildren. I have about
a thousand pictures of Sammy, just check out her page:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy.

Hugs,

CatNipped

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:29 AM
On Jul 31, 6:08*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote in message

> Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
> air! * This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. *He is such a lover
> boy. *He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. *Or
> any time for that matter. *It is funny the size of these cats. *I'm so
> used to his size until I see someone else's cat. *Then I realize how
> big he really is.
>
> I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
> Hobbster. *Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! *Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
> picture of Sammy?
>
> ================================================== ==
>
> You can use WebShots - and there are other sites out there where people can
> share pictures. *I'm sure someone here can tell you which one is best. *I'd
> *love* so see pictures of Hobbes!
>
> Hehehe, "do I have a picture of Sammy?" - that's a dangerous question, it's
> like asking a granny if she has pictures of her grandchildren. *I have about
> a thousand pictures of Sammy, just check out her page:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I am laughing hysterically here!! In a good way. I'm cracking up at
your website. No wonder you said 'hehehe'. My god woman! I'm
jealous! You're a great web architect by the way, but your babies!
They're all so adorable. (I love Demi as a teenager.)

Okay, I tried using webshots. We'll see if it works. Here's a link.
Let me know if it worked...

http://community.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 08, 02:43 AM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>ROTFLMAO! Yep, those might be worth the asking price in skin saved!!
>>>

>> Especially the sleeves...

>>>Yeah, why do cats do that? It's like they're saving a bit "just in case".
>>
>> I always give him the same amount twice a day.
>>
>> If it's under a hundred or so he always finishes it within an hour or so.
>>
>> Maybe he's just spreading it out a bit when it's hot.
>
>I've tried, over and over, to do as Phil and others have suggested and put
>the food down for only 20 minutes and then pick it back up. But my kitties
>just won't eat it that quickly - they still like to "graze" all day long.
>I'm so afraid that they won't get enough to eat - especially skinny little
>Demi, so I give in and leave it down for them. I figure that 1) as I
>stated, DH keeps the thermostat set on deep freeze and 2) I don't think even
>canned food is going to spoil enough to make a cat sick within 12 hours in
>an air-conditioned house!

As long as you don't give them more per day that is appropriate
for the individual cat I can't see how leaving it out for them
to finish at their own speed could hurt. I think you're right
about food not spoiling that quickly. One would hope that cats
are savvy enough to not eat something rotten enough to make
them sick.

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 08, 02:47 AM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:

>Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
>air! This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. He is such a lover
>boy. He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. Or
>any time for that matter. It is funny the size of these cats. I'm so
>used to his size until I see someone else's cat. Then I realize how
>big he really is.

Bubba's a bit schizo about having his belly rubbed. The couple of
times he's actually bit me hard enough to draw blood have been
when I was rubbing his stomach. He can go from purring to bunny
kicking and biting in a flash with no warning and no apparent
reason. Usually he's fine with it, but every now and then...

Cats...

>I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
>Hobbster. Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
>picture of Sammy?

Photobucket.com

it's free...

Claude V. Lucas
August 1st 08, 02:50 AM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On Jul 31, 6:08*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> "LauraM" > wrote in message

>> Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
>> air! * This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. *He is such a lover
>> boy. *He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. *Or
>> any time for that matter. *It is funny the size of these cats. *I'm so
>> used to his size until I see someone else's cat. *Then I realize how
>> big he really is.
>>
>> I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
>> Hobbster. *Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! *Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
>> picture of Sammy?
>>
>> ================================================== ==
>>
>> You can use WebShots - and there are other sites out there where people can
>> share pictures. *I'm sure someone here can tell you which one is best. *I'd
>> *love* so see pictures of Hobbes!
>>
>> Hehehe, "do I have a picture of Sammy?" - that's a dangerous question, it's
>> like asking a granny if she has pictures of her grandchildren. *I have about
>> a thousand pictures of Sammy, just check out her page:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
>I am laughing hysterically here!! In a good way. I'm cracking up at
>your website. No wonder you said 'hehehe'. My god woman! I'm
>jealous! You're a great web architect by the way, but your babies!
>They're all so adorable. (I love Demi as a teenager.)
>
>Okay, I tried using webshots. We'll see if it works. Here's a link.
>Let me know if it worked...
>
>http://community.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP

Works fine.

Orange MCs are great.

Here's some more Bubba...

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba00.jpg

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba02.jpg

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:50 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
On Jul 31, 6:08 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote in message

> Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
> air! This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. He is such a lover
> boy. He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. Or
> any time for that matter. It is funny the size of these cats. I'm so
> used to his size until I see someone else's cat. Then I realize how
> big he really is.
>
> I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
> Hobbster. Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
> picture of Sammy?
>
> ================================================== ==
>
> You can use WebShots - and there are other sites out there where people
> can
> share pictures. I'm sure someone here can tell you which one is best. I'd
> *love* so see pictures of Hobbes!
>
> Hehehe, "do I have a picture of Sammy?" - that's a dangerous question,
> it's
> like asking a granny if she has pictures of her grandchildren. I have
> about
> a thousand pictures of Sammy, just check out her
> page:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I am laughing hysterically here!! In a good way. I'm cracking up at
your website. No wonder you said 'hehehe'. My god woman! I'm
jealous! You're a great web architect by the way, but your babies!
They're all so adorable. (I love Demi as a teenager.)

Okay, I tried using webshots. We'll see if it works. Here's a link.
Let me know if it worked...

http://community.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP

Oh. My. Gawd!!! He is GORGEOUS! That most definitely worked for me, I've
had an overload of MC adorableness! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 03:13 AM
On Jul 31, 6:50*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> LauraM > wrote:
> >On Jul 31, 6:08*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> >> "LauraM" > wrote in message

> >> Oh my gosh....my Hobbes loves to lay on his back with his feet in the
> >> air! * This must definitely be a Maine Coon thing. *He is such a lover
> >> boy. *He loves to be petted on his tummy when he's on his back. *Or
> >> any time for that matter. *It is funny the size of these cats. *I'm so
> >> used to his size until I see someone else's cat. *Then I realize how
> >> big he really is.
>
> >> I wish I had a website somewhere so I could post a picture of my
> >> Hobbster. *Bubba is beeeeautiful!!! *Hey, CATNIPPED...do you have a
> >> picture of Sammy?
>
> >> ================================================== ==
>
> >> You can use WebShots - and there are other sites out there where people can
> >> share pictures. *I'm sure someone here can tell you which one is best. *I'd
> >> *love* so see pictures of Hobbes!
>
> >> Hehehe, "do I have a picture of Sammy?" - that's a dangerous question, it's
> >> like asking a granny if she has pictures of her grandchildren. *I have about
> >> a thousand pictures of Sammy, just check out her page:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/Sammy.
>
> >> Hugs,
>
> >> CatNipped
>
> >I am laughing hysterically here!! *In a good way. *I'm cracking up at
> >your website. *No wonder you said 'hehehe'. *My god woman! *I'm
> >jealous! *You're a great web architect by the way, but your babies!
> >They're all so adorable. *(I love Demi as a teenager.)
>
> >Okay, I tried using webshots. *We'll see if it works. *Here's a link..
> >Let me know if it worked...
>
> >http://community.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP
>
> Works fine.
>
> Orange MCs are great.
>
> Here's some more Bubba...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba00.jpg
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba02.jpg- Hide quoted text -

I don't know why I'm laughing so much. It's just nice to talk with
kindred spirits! Your Bubba is just adorable! I just love those
pics. So full of personality!

Janet
August 1st 08, 03:08 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
<snip>

> My cats' enthusiasm for feeding time really increased when I began feeding
> canned food. They are stuck on Fancy Feast, though I have tried Wellness
> and Eukanuba and Nutro and many others. I buy the flavors with real meat,
> not byproducts, as the first ingredient, and with no wheat gluten because
> I think grains are what Gracie is allergic to. Boo begs too! She even
> slaps at my feet when I pass through the kitchen and do not feed her.

I've been rotating through a variety of canned foods with tuna flavors
(apparently her preference) to see what Miss Kitty likes before I invest in
a case. She, too, is enthusiastic about Fancy Feast. She liked Friskies. She
also liked the Nutro pouches a lot. Iams, not a favorite, but she
eventually ate it. (I detect a pattern here, because Iams food made my dog
throw up.) Today she's getting Wellness. They don't have a tuna, but I
bought a couple of fish combos. I gave her half a can this AM, and she left
part of it in the dish. It's the pate texture, which seems to be an issue
for her. (She had earlier refused to eat Natural Choice foods in that
style.)

Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an occasional
Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be enthusiastic about any
other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the top of your head which
flavors have you found that meet your nutritional standards? (Or which
don't?)

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 04:39 PM
This is from about a year ago...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Fancy%5FFeast%5FValues/

Hugs,

CatNipped

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>> My cats' enthusiasm for feeding time really increased when I began
>> feeding canned food. They are stuck on Fancy Feast, though I have tried
>> Wellness and Eukanuba and Nutro and many others. I buy the flavors with
>> real meat, not byproducts, as the first ingredient, and with no wheat
>> gluten because I think grains are what Gracie is allergic to. Boo begs
>> too! She even slaps at my feet when I pass through the kitchen and do not
>> feed her.
>
> I've been rotating through a variety of canned foods with tuna flavors
> (apparently her preference) to see what Miss Kitty likes before I invest
> in a case. She, too, is enthusiastic about Fancy Feast. She liked
> Friskies. She also liked the Nutro pouches a lot. Iams, not a favorite,
> but she eventually ate it. (I detect a pattern here, because Iams food
> made my dog throw up.) Today she's getting Wellness. They don't have a
> tuna, but I bought a couple of fish combos. I gave her half a can this AM,
> and she left part of it in the dish. It's the pate texture, which seems to
> be an issue for her. (She had earlier refused to eat Natural Choice foods
> in that style.)
>
> Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an
> occasional Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be
> enthusiastic about any other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the top
> of your head which flavors have you found that meet your nutritional
> standards? (Or which don't?)

cybercat
August 1st 08, 07:11 PM
"Janet" > wrote

> Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an
> occasional Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be
> enthusiastic about any other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the top
> of your head which flavors have you found that meet your nutritional
> standards? (Or which don't?)

The ones with gravy usually have wheat gluten. Also, I don't buy that kind
because Gracie will lick all the gravy off and not eat the food. The
all-time fav is Tender Beef Feast, which has beef as a first ingredient and
no wheat gluten. One of the ground chicken varieties also has chicken as a
first ingredient and no wheat gluten. There are times I mix them up and just
buy a variety, just to keep them from getting into such a rut. As with
humans, a little of something not so good for them is not so bad. It's a
steady diet of starch and crap that is bad over time. CN posted a good link
to the nutritional content. Also, if you go to petfooddirect.com, then to
canned food, you can pull the current labels up. The formula change pretty
frequently.

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 07:41 PM
On Aug 1, 11:11*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote
>
> > Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an
> > occasional Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be
> > enthusiastic about any other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the top
> > of your head which flavors have you found that meet your nutritional
> > standards? (Or which don't?)
>
> The ones with gravy usually have wheat gluten. Also, I don't buy that kind
> because Gracie will lick all the gravy off and not eat the food. The
> all-time fav is Tender Beef Feast, which has beef as a first ingredient and
> no wheat gluten. One of the ground chicken varieties also has chicken as a
> first ingredient and no wheat gluten. There are times I mix them up and just
> buy a variety, just to keep them from getting into such a rut. As with
> humans, *a little of something not so good for them is not so bad. It's a
> steady diet of starch and crap that is bad over time. CN posted a good link
> to the nutritional content. Also, if you go to petfooddirect.com, then to
> canned food, you can pull the current labels up. The formula change pretty
> frequently.
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels. I chose Wellness
specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less fake stuff in
the food, the better. And for us humans too!

cybercat
August 1st 08, 07:43 PM
"LauraM" > wrote
>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.

What is it in, in people food?

> I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less
> fake stuff in
>the food, the better. And for us humans too!

True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.

Janet
August 1st 08, 08:18 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> This is from about a year ago...
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/Fancy%5FFeast%5FValues/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Wow! Thanks, that's really useful, and far better than standing around in
stores peering at the tiny print on cans!

Janet
August 1st 08, 08:19 PM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
On Aug 1, 11:11 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote
>
> > Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an
> > occasional Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be
> > enthusiastic about any other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the
> > top
> > of your head which flavors have you found that meet your nutritional
> > standards? (Or which don't?)
>
> The ones with gravy usually have wheat gluten. Also, I don't buy that kind
> because Gracie will lick all the gravy off and not eat the food. The
> all-time fav is Tender Beef Feast, which has beef as a first ingredient
> and
> no wheat gluten. One of the ground chicken varieties also has chicken as a
> first ingredient and no wheat gluten. There are times I mix them up and
> just
> buy a variety, just to keep them from getting into such a rut. As with
> humans, a little of something not so good for them is not so bad. It's a
> steady diet of starch and crap that is bad over time. CN posted a good
> link
> to the nutritional content. Also, if you go to petfooddirect.com, then to
> canned food, you can pull the current labels up. The formula change pretty
> frequently.
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels. I chose Wellness
>specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less fake stuff in
>the food, the better. And for us humans too!

Gluten is not fake.

Janet
August 1st 08, 08:24 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "LauraM" > wrote
>>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>
> What is it in, in people food?
>
>> I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less
>> fake stuff in
>>the food, the better. And for us humans too!
>
> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.

Gluten is simply a natural part of wheat and some other grasses, just like
wheat germ or bran. It's the part of flour that creates the stretchiness
that enables dough to capture tiny gas particles and cause bread to rise.

Some people have a sensitivity to it. Others have celiac disease
(diagnosable by biopsy), in which a reaction to gluten causes the cilia
lining their intestine to die, which negatively impacts absorbtion of
nutrients.

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 08:29 PM
On Aug 1, 11:43*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote
>
> >I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. *I try to limit my intake
> >of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>
> What is it in, in people food?
>
> > I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. *The less
> > fake stuff in
> >the food, the better. *And for us humans too!
>
> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Lord, wheat gluten is in a lot of foods. I have a wheat intolerance
and have to stay away from that stuff. It's in a lot of canned goods,
pre-packaged food stuff, breads, cereals, some soy sauces, caramel,
and lots of other stuff. For the person that said gluten is not fake,
well, yeah, but it is an allergan for a lot of people. Some people
who have stopped intaking gluten have recovered from things like
rashes, inflammation and even fibromyalgia. I'm not a doctor, nor do
I make these statements to say that it's all-encompassing or perfect,
but this is my experience. And I've had a lot of it! My rule of
thumb is the less ingredients and the fresher, the better.

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 08:31 PM
On Aug 1, 11:43*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote
>
> >I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. *I try to limit my intake
> >of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>
> What is it in, in people food?
>
> > I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. *The less
> > fake stuff in
> >the food, the better. *And for us humans too!
>
> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I wonder why kitties are so finicky when it comes to food? I used to
have another cat that was fussy about what she ate. My current cat,
Hobbes, will eat anything put down in front of him.

AKT
August 1st 08, 09:50 PM
: I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
: of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels...

From <http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm>

"The following are Fancy Feast flavors contain NO wheat gluten and are
below 10% carbs:

Tender Beef Feast (brown label color)
Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta)
Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red)

Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just
like another chicken variety with gluten!)

Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green)
Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange)
Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green)
Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue)
Savory Salmon Feast (orange)
Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink)
Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label)

*Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few
times a week."

Outsider
August 1st 08, 10:00 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in news:a5761$48935965$20102
@news.teranews.com:

> "LauraM" > wrote
>>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>
> What is it in, in people food?
>
>> I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less
>> fake stuff in
>>the food, the better. And for us humans too!
>
> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.

Have you tried the chicken?

LauraM[_2_]
August 1st 08, 10:59 PM
On Aug 1, 1:50*pm, AKT > wrote:
> : I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. *I try to limit my intake
> : of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels...
>
> From <http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm>
>
> "The following are Fancy Feast flavors contain NO wheat gluten and are
> below 10% carbs:
>
> * * *Tender Beef Feast (brown label color)
> * * *Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta)
> * * *Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red)
>
> * * *Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just
> like another chicken variety with gluten!)
>
> * * *Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green)
> * * *Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange)
> * * *Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green)
> * * *Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue)
> * * *Savory Salmon Feast (orange)
> * * *Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink)
> * * *Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label)
>
> *Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few
> times a week."

Thanks for that!! I did know that certain Fancy Feasts didn't contain
gluten, but it's certainly handier to have a list!

Janet
August 1st 08, 11:04 PM
"LauraM" > wrote in message

> My rule of
> thumb is the less ingredients and the fresher, the better.

Certainly most of us would agree with that.

Janet
August 1st 08, 11:05 PM
"Janet" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "LauraM" > wrote
>>>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>>>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>>
>> What is it in, in people food?
>>
>>> I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less
>>> fake stuff in
>>>the food, the better. And for us humans too!
>>
>> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.

> Gluten is simply a natural part of wheat and some other grasses, just like
> wheat germ or bran. It's the part of flour that creates the stretchiness
> that enables dough to capture tiny gas particles and cause bread to rise.
>
> Some people have a sensitivity to it. Others have celiac disease
> (diagnosable by biopsy), in which a reaction to gluten causes the cilia
> lining their intestine to die, which negatively impacts absorbtion of
> nutrients.
Sorry, they are villi. Those interested in the subject could visit
www.celiac.com, which appears to have scientific information.

cybercat
August 2nd 08, 01:07 AM
"outsider" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in news:a5761$48935965$20102
> @news.teranews.com:
>

>> "LauraM" > wrote
>>>I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. I try to limit my intake
>>>of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels.
>>
>> What is it in, in people food?
>>
>>> I chose Wellness specifically because it's wheat gluten free. The less
>>> fake stuff in
>>>the food, the better. And for us humans too!
>>
>> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.

> Have you tried the chicken?

I think so, but I am not sure, it was a while ago. I think I would have
because one of my cats like chicken the best. Why do you ask, do yours like
it better than the other varieties?

Cheryl[_4_]
August 2nd 08, 01:13 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

> Here's some more Bubba...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba00.jpg
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba02.jpg

He's just majestic and beautiful!

Claude V. Lucas
August 2nd 08, 01:22 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>
>> Here's some more Bubba...
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba00.jpg
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba02.jpg
>
>He's just majestic and beautiful!

Thanks.

He's been having a tough go the last few days
between the heat and the harness training.

I passed the complement along...

Cheryl[_4_]
August 2nd 08, 01:32 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Cheryl > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Here's some more Bubba...
>>>
>>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba00.jpg
>>>
>>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba02.jpg
>>
>>He's just majestic and beautiful!
>>

> Thanks.
>
> He's been having a tough go the last few days
> between the heat and the harness training.
>
> I passed the complement along...

Shamrock does well with the harness. The problem with getting him used to
going out for a walk is that every waking minute he wants to be out there
and howls at the doors and windows. I haven't taken him out on the harness
since last summer because he was just so relentless and sad at the doors.
It just isn't safe to let him out here and the outdoor enclosure needs some
repair after a morning dove got in somehow and I had to cut it open to get
the bird out. It's also overgrown with grass that I need to take a weed
whacker to.

Claude V. Lucas
August 2nd 08, 01:59 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Cheryl > wrote:

>>>He's just majestic and beautiful!
>>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> He's been having a tough go the last few days
>> between the heat and the harness training.
>>
>> I passed the complement along...
>
>Shamrock does well with the harness. The problem with getting him used to
>going out for a walk is that every waking minute he wants to be out there
>and howls at the doors and windows. I haven't taken him out on the harness
>since last summer because he was just so relentless and sad at the doors.
>It just isn't safe to let him out here and the outdoor enclosure needs some
>repair after a morning dove got in somehow and I had to cut it open to get
>the bird out. It's also overgrown with grass that I need to take a weed
>whacker to.

The range of personalities in cats really amazes me.

We haven't gotten close to going outside yet. I'm dreading it
because Bubba absolutely hates being outside. The last time
I carried him outside he put on the most pitiful dramatic
performance I've ever heard. He didn't struggle, but he
cut loose with the saddest howling I've ever heard from
an animal. It sounded as if I was sticking pins in him or
something. That was with me holding him. When I put him down
he rocketed back to the door and kept caterwauling until I
opened it up and let him back inside. I'm not sure what happened
to him before I got him at the shelter, but it's a safe bet
that he had a bad outdoor experience. He's the same way when
I take him in the car in a carrier. The most mournful howling
one could imagine. I talk to him, but he seems to be too
wrapped up in his performance to listen.

As least we don't have the "cat bolts out the door whenever
it gets a chance and is gone for days afterward" problem.

As far as the harness goes, when I put it on him he goes
completely limp & passive. He won't take three steps across
the carpet for a pile of kitty treats. That's *very* unBubba
to blow off food. He acts as if he can't move his legs because
of the harness which is silly because it's so loose that I
can slip all the fingers of both hands under it...

Drama Queen.

He tries to back out of it, but can't without it being
attached to anything. If it wasn't so sad, it would be
kinda funny.

I'm sure that he'll get used to it before we actually need it.

The leash around the house is next in a few days, and then
the dreaded outdoors...

LauraM[_2_]
August 2nd 08, 02:42 AM
On Aug 1, 5:59*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Cheryl > wrote:
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

> >> Thanks.
>
> >> He's been having a tough go the last few days
> >> between the heat and the harness training.
>
> >> I passed the complement along...
>
> >Shamrock does well with the harness. *The problem with getting him used to
> >going out for a walk is that every waking minute he wants to be out there
> >and howls at the doors and windows. *I haven't taken him out on the harness
> >since last summer because he was just so relentless and sad at the doors..
> >It just isn't safe to let him out here and the outdoor enclosure needs some
> >repair after a morning dove got in somehow and I had to cut it open to get
> >the bird out. *It's also overgrown with grass that I need to take a weed
> >whacker to.
>
> The range of personalities in cats really amazes me.
>
> We haven't gotten close to going outside yet. I'm dreading it
> because Bubba absolutely hates being outside. The last time
> I carried him outside he put on the most pitiful dramatic
> performance I've ever heard. He didn't struggle, but he
> cut loose with the saddest howling I've ever heard from
> an animal. It sounded as if I was sticking pins in him or
> something. That was with me holding him. When I put him down
> he rocketed back to the door and kept caterwauling until I
> opened it up and let him back inside. I'm not sure what happened
> to him before I got him at the shelter, but it's a safe bet
> that he had a bad outdoor experience. He's the same way when
> I take him in the car in a carrier. The most mournful howling
> one could imagine. I talk to him, but he seems to be too
> wrapped up in his performance to listen.
>
> As least we don't have the "cat bolts out the door whenever
> it gets a chance and is gone for days afterward" problem.
>
> As far as the harness goes, when I put it on him he goes
> completely limp & passive. He won't take three steps across
> the carpet for a pile of kitty treats. That's *very* unBubba
> to blow off food. He acts as if he can't move his legs because
> of the harness which is silly because it's so loose that I
> can slip all the fingers of both hands under it...
>
> Drama Queen.
>
> He tries to back out of it, but can't without it being
> attached to anything. If it wasn't so sad, it would be
> kinda funny.
>
> I'm sure that he'll get used to it before we actually need it.
>
> The leash around the house is next in a few days, and then
> the dreaded outdoors...- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like Bubba is very vocal. My Hobbes is too. Is this also a
characteristic of Maine Coons? I swear he has a repertoire of
sounds. There's the evening sound where he walks around the house
yowling. Then there's the "mrrrraugh" sound...not quite a meow.
There's the lonnnng meeeeooooooowwww when he wants something, etc.

Claude V. Lucas
August 2nd 08, 03:01 AM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On Aug 1, 5:59*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> Cheryl > wrote:

>> >Shamrock does well with the harness. *The problem with getting him used to
>> >going out for a walk is that every waking minute he wants to be out there
>> >and howls at the doors and windows. *I haven't taken him out on the harness
>> >since last summer because he was just so relentless and sad at the doors.
>> >It just isn't safe to let him out here and the outdoor enclosure needs some
>> >repair after a morning dove got in somehow and I had to cut it open to get
>> >the bird out. *It's also overgrown with grass that I need to take a weed
>> >whacker to.
>>
>> The range of personalities in cats really amazes me.
>>
>> We haven't gotten close to going outside yet. I'm dreading it
>> because Bubba absolutely hates being outside. The last time
>> I carried him outside he put on the most pitiful dramatic
>> performance I've ever heard. He didn't struggle, but he
>> cut loose with the saddest howling I've ever heard from
>> an animal. It sounded as if I was sticking pins in him or
>> something. That was with me holding him. When I put him down
>> he rocketed back to the door and kept caterwauling until I
>> opened it up and let him back inside. I'm not sure what happened
>> to him before I got him at the shelter, but it's a safe bet
>> that he had a bad outdoor experience. He's the same way when
>> I take him in the car in a carrier. The most mournful howling
>> one could imagine. I talk to him, but he seems to be too
>> wrapped up in his performance to listen.
>>
>> As least we don't have the "cat bolts out the door whenever
>> it gets a chance and is gone for days afterward" problem.
>>
>> As far as the harness goes, when I put it on him he goes
>> completely limp & passive. He won't take three steps across
>> the carpet for a pile of kitty treats. That's *very* unBubba
>> to blow off food. He acts as if he can't move his legs because
>> of the harness which is silly because it's so loose that I
>> can slip all the fingers of both hands under it...
>>
>> Drama Queen.
>>
>> He tries to back out of it, but can't without it being
>> attached to anything. If it wasn't so sad, it would be
>> kinda funny.
>>
>> I'm sure that he'll get used to it before we actually need it.
>>
>> The leash around the house is next in a few days, and then
>> the dreaded outdoors...- Hide quoted text -

>Sounds like Bubba is very vocal. My Hobbes is too. Is this also a
>characteristic of Maine Coons? I swear he has a repertoire of
>sounds. There's the evening sound where he walks around the house
>yowling. Then there's the "mrrrraugh" sound...not quite a meow.
>There's the lonnnng meeeeooooooowwww when he wants something, etc.

I think talking is a MC characteristic. I'm far from an expert, though.

Bubba also does a perfect "no". He seems to know the meaning too.

When I pick him up he goes "nnnoooooooo"

AKT
August 2nd 08, 03:22 AM
In article
LauraM > wrote:

: On Aug 1, 1:50*pm, AKT > wrote:
: > : I noticed all the wheat gluten in cat food. *I try to limit my intake
: > : of the stuff as well, so I'm used to reading labels...
: >
[...]

You are welcome and I do understand how you feel, it *is* painful
trying to read the fine print on those cans. That would have been a
challenge even when I was younger. :)

If you take the trouble to worry about such issues, the following is a
good resource: <http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html>

Both Old and New tables contain much useful information, but Fancy
Feast is in the Old ones.

Outsider
August 2nd 08, 04:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> "outsider" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" > wrote in news:a5761$48935965$20102
>> @news.teranews.com:
>>

>>> "LauraM" > wrote
>>>
>>> What is it in, in people food?

>>> True. I wish my cats would eat Wellness.
>>>

>>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
>>>

>> Have you tried the chicken?
>>

> I think so, but I am not sure, it was a while ago. I think I would
> have because one of my cats like chicken the best. Why do you ask, do
> yours like it better than the other varieties?

They do. In fact they only like the flavors with chicken and they like the
plain chicken the best. I am not sure they _love_ the chicken but they eat
it all throughout the day and don't complain for food hardly ever like they
did when they ate royal canin dry or more "carby" canned foods. I think it
is like _I_ would rather have potato chips or ice cream but in the end a
good round meal satisfies me the best (if that makes sense). The pure fish
wellness they don't seem to like at all.

Andy

Janet
August 2nd 08, 02:12 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> : > *Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few
> : > times a week."

Why?

Janet
August 2nd 08, 02:16 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote
>
>> Fancy Feast is beginning to look like the winner, with perhaps an
>> occasional Nutro pouch. Next step may be to see if she will be
>> enthusiastic about any other flavors. Cybercat, can you think off the top
>> of your head which flavors have you found that meet your nutritional
>> standards? (Or which don't?)
>
> The ones with gravy usually have wheat gluten. Also, I don't buy that kind
> because Gracie will lick all the gravy off and not eat the food. The
> all-time fav is Tender Beef Feast, which has beef as a first ingredient
> and no wheat gluten. One of the ground chicken varieties also has chicken
> as a first ingredient and no wheat gluten. There are times I mix them up
> and just buy a variety, just to keep them from getting into such a rut. As
> with humans, a little of something not so good for them is not so bad.
> It's a steady diet of starch and crap that is bad over time. CN posted a
> good link to the nutritional content. Also, if you go to
> petfooddirect.com, then to canned food, you can pull the current labels
> up. The formula change pretty frequently.

Thanks again. Miss Kitty didn't like the Wellness seafood combo I gave her
yesterday. She ate some of it grudgingly, and left the remainder in her
dish. She also did a certain amount of walking around and complaining. <G>

AKT
August 2nd 08, 05:08 PM
Janet > wrote:

: "AKT" > wrote in message
: ...
: > : > *Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few
: > : > times a week."
:
: Why?

I am not an expert on this, so maybe someone else can clarify, but I
think it is because of certain impurities, perhaps mercury.