PDA

View Full Version : Article: Large Cat Spotted at College Park Campus

Cheryl[_4_]
August 1st 08, 01:47 AM
Large Cat Spotted at College Park Campus
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/31/AR2008073102330.html

The University of Maryland and the state Department of Natural Resources
searched the College Park campus today in response to reports that a cougar
may have been prowling a wooded area.

What appeared to be a large cat was spotted about 6 a.m. near University
Boulevard, said Capt. John Brandt, a spokesman for the university's
Department of Public Safety. By late afternoon, the animal had been spotted
several times, but hadn't been caught on camera or seen by police.

The animal was described as light tan and tawny brown, about 4 feet long
with a 4-foot tail, and weighing about 50 pounds, Brandt said. The size
seemed to indicate that the animal was a cougar. Cougars are not native to
Maryland; experts say they've not lived wild in the area since the
mid-1800s.

Glenn Therres, associate director for wildlife and heritage service with the
Department of Natural Resources, said no zoo in the area had reported any
escaped cats. Keeping a cougar or any potentially dangerous cat such as a
lion or tiger is illegal in Maryland, Therres said.

"We get 20, 30 reports of cougars in the state of Maryland each year,"
Therres said. "We have yet to be able to confirm any cougar [sighting]."

Brandt said that the animal seen had not shown aggressive tendencies but
that it should not be approached.

"We're obviously concerned," Brandt said. "We're going to be looking hard
because we don't know what the threat is."

Candace
August 1st 08, 05:08 AM
On Jul 31, 5:47*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> Large Cat Spotted at College Park Campushttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/31/AR200...
>
> The University of Maryland and the state Department of Natural Resources
> searched the College Park campus today in response to reports that a cougar
> may have been prowling a wooded area.
>
> What appeared to be a large cat was spotted about 6 a.m. near University
> Boulevard, said Capt. John Brandt, a spokesman for the university's
> Department of Public Safety. By late afternoon, the animal had been spotted
> several times, but hadn't been caught on camera or seen by police.
>
> The animal was described as light tan and tawny brown, about 4 feet long
> with a 4-foot tail, and weighing about 50 pounds, Brandt said. The size
> seemed to indicate that the animal was a cougar. Cougars are not native to
> Maryland; experts say they've not lived wild in the area since the
> mid-1800s.
>
> Glenn Therres, associate director for wildlife and heritage service with the
> Department of Natural Resources, said no zoo in the area had reported any
> escaped cats. Keeping a cougar or any potentially dangerous cat such as a
> lion or tiger is illegal in Maryland, Therres said.
>
> "We get 20, 30 reports of cougars in the state of Maryland each year,"
> Therres said. "We have yet to be able to confirm any cougar [sighting]."
>
> Brandt said that the animal seen had not shown aggressive tendencies but
> that it should not be approached.
>
> "We're obviously concerned," Brandt said. "We're going to be looking hard
> because we don't know what the threat is."

Bummer, these stories never turn out happy for the animals.

Candace

James
August 4th 08, 03:54 PM
On Aug 1, 12:08*am, Candace > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 5:47*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>

> > Large Cat Spotted atCollegeParkCampushttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/31/AR200...
>
> > The University of Maryland and the state Department of Natural Resources
> > searched theCollegeParkcampus today in response to reports that a cougar
> > may have been prowling a wooded area.
>
> > What appeared to be a large cat was spotted about 6 a.m. near University
> > Boulevard, said Capt. John Brandt, a spokesman for the university's
> > Department of Public Safety. By late afternoon, the animal had been spotted
> > several times, but hadn't been caught on camera or seen by police.
>
> > The animal was described as light tan and tawny brown, about 4 feet long
> > with a 4-foot tail, and weighing about 50 pounds, Brandt said. The size
> > seemed to indicate that the animal was a cougar. Cougars are not native to
> > Maryland; experts say they've not lived wild in the area since the
> > mid-1800s.
>
> > Glenn Therres, associate director for wildlife and heritage service with the
> > Department of Natural Resources, said no zoo in the area had reported any
> > escaped cats. Keeping a cougar or any potentially dangerous cat such as a
> > lion or tiger is illegal in Maryland, Therres said.
>
> > "We get 20, 30 reports of cougars in the state of Maryland each year,"
> > Therres said. "We have yet to be able to confirm any cougar [sighting]."
>
> > Brandt said that the animal seen had not shown aggressive tendencies but
> > that it should not be approached.
>
> > "We're obviously concerned," Brandt said. "We're going to be looking hard
> > because we don't know what the threat is."
>
> Bummer, these stories never turn out happy for the animals.
>
> Candace- Hide quoted text -

Cameras showed it to be a DSH African cross that grows to around 35
pounds. Guess some one else let a big pet cat escape.

Cheryl[_4_]
August 4th 08, 11:38 PM
"James" > wrote in message

> Cameras showed it to be a DSH African cross that grows to around 35
> pounds. Guess some one else let a big pet cat escape.

Yeah, they're saying it's likely a Savannah. Now it's even more upsetting
since it is a pet not even meant to live in the wild.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1453497

Large cat roaming U. of Maryland caught on tape
August 4, 2008 - 2:18pm

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The large feline roaming the University of Maryland
campus has now been caught on tape, and officials believe the cat could be
an expensive pet.
The feline is believed to be a Savannah cat, a domestic crossbreed of a
short-haired cat and an African Serval cat.

"It's something people have done over the years to create an extra-large pet
kitty," says Maryland Department of Natural Resources Wildlife and Heritage
Service Director Paul Peditto.

The Savannah is known as the "great dane" of the cat family, weighing up to
50 pounds.

"I suspect someone is missing a big and probably not inexpensive pet," says
Peditto.

It could be worth between $4,000 and $10,000.

In Maryland, owning a Savannah is legal, however in some places, including
Massachusetts, Georgia and New York City, it is illegal to have one as a
pet.

The animal was spotted last Friday around Cole Field House near the Clarice
Smith Performing Arts Center and through wooded areas around the Comcast
Center and Arena Drive Garage. The cat hasn't shown aggression toward
anyone, but officials advise people to stay away if they see the animal.

The cat is still on the loose.

Phil P.
August 5th 08, 01:50 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
. ..
> "James" > wrote in message
>
> > Cameras showed it to be a DSH African cross that grows to around 35
> > pounds. Guess some one else let a big pet cat escape.
>
> Yeah, they're saying it's likely a Savannah. Now it's even more upsetting
> since it is a pet not even meant to live in the wild.

Actually, it looks like an Asian Leopard Cat. It looks too big to be a
Savannah.

Phil

Cheryl[_4_]
August 5th 08, 02:41 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "James" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Cameras showed it to be a DSH African cross that grows to around 35
>> > pounds. Guess some one else let a big pet cat escape.
>>
>> Yeah, they're saying it's likely a Savannah. Now it's even more
>> upsetting
>> since it is a pet not even meant to live in the wild.
>
> Actually, it looks like an Asian Leopard Cat. It looks too big to be a
> Savannah.
>
> Phil

I just hope it works out well for the cat. It looks non-threatening in the
video. Just like our cats would be. She can't help she's big.

Cheryl[_4_]
August 5th 08, 02:48 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "James" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Cameras showed it to be a DSH African cross that grows to around 35
>> > pounds. Guess some one else let a big pet cat escape.
>>
>> Yeah, they're saying it's likely a Savannah. Now it's even more
>> upsetting
>> since it is a pet not even meant to live in the wild.
>
> Actually, it looks like an Asian Leopard Cat. It looks too big to be a
> Savannah.
>
> Phil

I just looked up Asian Leopard cat and they are about the same size as
domestic cats. Serval or Savannah seems more likely based on the reports of
its size.

Phil P.
August 5th 08, 09:02 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> >> Yeah, they're saying it's likely a Savannah. Now it's even more
> >> upsetting
> >> since it is a pet not even meant to live in the wild.
> >
> > Actually, it looks like an Asian Leopard Cat. It looks too big to be a
> > Savannah.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> I just looked up Asian Leopard cat and they are about the same size as
> domestic cats.

Some are bigger- I've seen ALCs up close..

Serval or Savannah seems more likely based on the reports of
> its size.

Reports are usually exaggerated.

I watched the video again on my desktop this time with a larger monitor. It
had the markings of an ALC but it doesn't have the ears of a Serval. could
be a Savannah.

Look at the Amur Leopard Cat

http://www.nitewindes.com/alcAmurLeopardCat1.jpg

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:23 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >
>> > "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> > . ..

>> > Actually, it looks like an Asian Leopard Cat. It looks too big to be a
>> > Savannah.
>> >
>> > Phil
>> >

>> I just looked up Asian Leopard cat and they are about the same size as
>> domestic cats.
>
> Some are bigger- I've seen ALCs up close..
>
> Serval or Savannah seems more likely based on the reports of
>> its size.
>
> Reports are usually exaggerated.
>
> I watched the video again on my desktop this time with a larger monitor.
> It
> had the markings of an ALC but it doesn't have the ears of a Serval. could
> be a Savannah.
>
> Look at the Amur Leopard Cat
>
> http://www.nitewindes.com/alcAmurLeopardCat1.jpg

What a striking cat.