PDA

View Full Version : My cat is boycotting me after first Vet visit!

AKT
August 1st 08, 12:14 PM
She showed up at our door about a year ago, when she was just a kitten,
visited us regularly, and soon decided she'd like to move in with us. I
ended up canceling many planned vacations on a short notice, just to be
home to take care of her. She doesn't like to be picked up by anyone,
but in every other way I was her favorite and she followed me room to
room. She asked me to open the door to go outside, slept in a chair
near my desk, and slept near my feet in the night and woke me up at 4AM
for a snack, impatiently circling my legs as I prepared it. She'd hide
under the table and play the game of ambushing my legs as I walked by.

All this time, I knew that one day I'll have to take her to the vet for
her shots. With no experience, I postponed it as long as possible, the
excuse being that I am researching pet carriers and haven't found the
right one.

Finally the day came. That morning she didn't even wake me up at 4AM,
but continued to snuggle against me. When I put her in the carrier, she
thought it was a game. But when the game didn't end, she cried all the
way to the wet. In the exam room, she circled my legs, expecting me to
protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
her indoors for 24 hours.

So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.

I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

CatNipped[_2_]
August 1st 08, 02:11 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> She showed up at our door about a year ago, when she was just a kitten,
> visited us regularly, and soon decided she'd like to move in with us. I
> ended up canceling many planned vacations on a short notice, just to be
> home to take care of her. She doesn't like to be picked up by anyone,
> but in every other way I was her favorite and she followed me room to
> room. She asked me to open the door to go outside, slept in a chair
> near my desk, and slept near my feet in the night and woke me up at 4AM
> for a snack, impatiently circling my legs as I prepared it. She'd hide
> under the table and play the game of ambushing my legs as I walked by.
>
> All this time, I knew that one day I'll have to take her to the vet for
> her shots. With no experience, I postponed it as long as possible, the
> excuse being that I am researching pet carriers and haven't found the
> right one.
>
> Finally the day came. That morning she didn't even wake me up at 4AM,
> but continued to snuggle against me. When I put her in the carrier, she
> thought it was a game. But when the game didn't end, she cried all the
> way to the wet. In the exam room, she circled my legs, expecting me to
> protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
> checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
> her indoors for 24 hours.
>
> So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
> She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
> table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
> she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.
>
> I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
> have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
> health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

I know how you feel - Sammy does that to me after vet visits. All I can say
is that she'll come around soon - cats mostly live in the "now". Just give
her some good treats and know that what you do you're doing for her
continued health and happiness.

Hugs,

CatNipped

studio
August 1st 08, 02:45 PM
On Aug 1, 7:14 am, AKT > wrote:
> How do I
> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

I remember taking Big Mama for her vet visit.
She cried the whole time, but I put my finger inside the carrier
to let her gnaw on it gently, as we waited for about an hour.
When I brought her back home, she was wore out!
She just laid down and panted for about an hour outside on the deck
while I petted her.
By the next day she was back to her regular routine.

Me[_5_]
August 1st 08, 03:03 PM
Sometimes the shots will have an effect on a cat. After visits with my crew,
they all take the afternoon off to sleep it off. Although Feisty, at his
last yearly visit, seemed to recupe longer. It was almost a week before he
was his "feisty" self again.
"studio" > wrote in message
> On Aug 1, 7:14 am, AKT > wrote:
>> How do I
>> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
>> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)
>
> I remember taking Big Mama for her vet visit.
> She cried the whole time, but I put my finger inside the carrier
> to let her gnaw on it gently, as we waited for about an hour.
> When I brought her back home, she was wore out!
> She just laid down and panted for about an hour outside on the deck
> while I petted her.
> By the next day she was back to her regular routine.

barb
August 1st 08, 03:30 PM
I know it's heart-breaking but the cats do come around after a while and
next time she will probably know she'll go back home after the vet. I came
back after a week in California and my first Siamese cat wouldn't speak to
me for a day or so. Cats have feelings.

Barb

cybercat
August 1st 08, 07:12 PM
"AKT" > wrote>
> So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
> She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
> table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
> she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.
>
> I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
> have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
> health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

She is pouting and playing you like a fiddle. :) You feel just like she
wants you to feel for taking her to the vet. Yes, grovel. Love's a bitch,
ain't it? :D

William E. Graham
August 1st 08, 08:53 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> She showed up at our door about a year ago, when she was just a kitten,
> visited us regularly, and soon decided she'd like to move in with us. I
> ended up canceling many planned vacations on a short notice, just to be
> home to take care of her. She doesn't like to be picked up by anyone,
> but in every other way I was her favorite and she followed me room to
> room. She asked me to open the door to go outside, slept in a chair
> near my desk, and slept near my feet in the night and woke me up at 4AM
> for a snack, impatiently circling my legs as I prepared it. She'd hide
> under the table and play the game of ambushing my legs as I walked by.
>
> All this time, I knew that one day I'll have to take her to the vet for
> her shots. With no experience, I postponed it as long as possible, the
> excuse being that I am researching pet carriers and haven't found the
> right one.
>
> Finally the day came. That morning she didn't even wake me up at 4AM,
> but continued to snuggle against me. When I put her in the carrier, she
> thought it was a game. But when the game didn't end, she cried all the
> way to the wet. In the exam room, she circled my legs, expecting me to
> protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
> checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
> her indoors for 24 hours.
>
> So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
> She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
> table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
> she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.
>
> I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
> have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
> health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

18 hours is way too soon.....Wait another day or two, and she'll be her old
former self. Cats have very short memories, especially when they are
unharmed.....We have 5, and 4 of them hate the vet. (one is so mellow, he'll
follow anyone....When the vet shows up in her mobile unit, he says, "Take
me! Take me!"

Rene S.
August 1st 08, 09:38 PM
routine, so once she sees things are back to normal, she'll be fine.
One tip for her next appointment: get some Feliway and spray it in her
carrier about 15 minutes before you leave. It will help calm her. I do
this for one of my cats and it does make a difference.

James
August 2nd 08, 02:42 AM
On Aug 1, 4:38*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> routine, so once she sees things are back to normal, she'll be fine.
> One tip for her next appointment: get some Feliway and spray it in her
> carrier about 15 minutes before you leave. It will help calm her. I do
> this for one of my cats and it does make a difference.

My used to sleep in the pet carrier so it was no big deal for her to
be transported to the vet.

AKT
August 2nd 08, 03:27 AM
In article

:
: My used to sleep in the pet carrier so it was no big deal for her to
: be transported to the vet.

Well, after buying the carrier, I did leave it out for about two weeks,
so she was familiar with it and initially thought it was a fun game to
be carried around in it. :)

AKT
August 2nd 08, 08:10 PM
I am most grateful to all who expressed support and provided
information. It is now 48 hours later, and the situation has improved
somewhat. I cannot say she is showering me with affection, but she is
increasingly able to bear being near me. :)

Another thing I am realizing is that while she was certainly angry with
me, she was also under the weather because of all the shots and
probably wanted to be left alone to rest.

Even two days later, she is a little sluggish. She hesitates to jump to
places that she normally reaches very easily. For the first 24 hours
she had no appetite, which was beginning to worry me, but now she is
eating a little. All in all, she seems to be on the upswing and I can
relax.

Thanks again.

AKT > wrote:

[...]

August 3rd 08, 12:13 AM
Feisty acted the very same way AKT when he had his shots this year.
"AKT" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
> : checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
> : her indoors for 24 hours.
> :
> : So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
> : She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
> : table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
> : she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.
> :
> : I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
> : have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
> : health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
> : grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> : supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

August 3rd 08, 06:51 PM
One of my cats always was under the weather after her shots so the vet did
the shots in 2 visits instead of one.

Barb

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
August 3rd 08, 11:18 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> She showed up at our door about a year ago, when she was just a kitten,
> visited us regularly, and soon decided she'd like to move in with us. I
> ended up canceling many planned vacations on a short notice, just to be
> home to take care of her. She doesn't like to be picked up by anyone,
> but in every other way I was her favorite and she followed me room to
> room. She asked me to open the door to go outside, slept in a chair
> near my desk, and slept near my feet in the night and woke me up at 4AM
> for a snack, impatiently circling my legs as I prepared it. She'd hide
> under the table and play the game of ambushing my legs as I walked by.
>
> All this time, I knew that one day I'll have to take her to the vet for
> her shots. With no experience, I postponed it as long as possible, the
> excuse being that I am researching pet carriers and haven't found the
> right one.
>
> Finally the day came. That morning she didn't even wake me up at 4AM,
> but continued to snuggle against me. When I put her in the carrier, she
> thought it was a game. But when the game didn't end, she cried all the
> way to the wet. In the exam room, she circled my legs, expecting me to
> protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
> checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
> her indoors for 24 hours.
>
> So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
> She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
> table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
> she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.
>
> I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
> have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
> health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
> grovel in front of her to make her feel better? :) (And, we are
> supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

They know how to push your buttons. She'll come around soon. They can only
carry on like that for just so long. Just give her space and let her sulk.
Best not to get to tightly wrapped around their paws. Oh and do not be
worried when she is very lethargic and sleeps for 2 days. This is very
normal after vaccinations. She'll be all groggy and sleepy for probably 48
hours. She won't remember a thing when she wakes up.

Paul

AKT
August 4th 08, 02:07 AM
Paul M. Cook > wrote:

: They know how to push your buttons. She'll come around soon. They can
: only carry on like that for just so long. Just give her space and let her sulk.
: Best not to get to tightly wrapped around their paws. Oh and do not be
: worried when she is very lethargic and sleeps for 2 days. This is very
: normal after vaccinations. She'll be all groggy and sleepy for probably 48
: hours. She won't remember a thing when she wakes up.

Thanks. That is what seems to have happened. Three days later, her
jumps are normal, her appetite is almost normal, and she seems to have
almost forgiven me - not 100% but I am hopeful for the next week. :)

Me[_5_]
August 4th 08, 01:09 PM
Our vet always reminds us that the cat may sleep the rest of the day and may
feel tenderness on the shot site. And if any thing unusual happens, to call
her ASAP.
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> : They know how to push your buttons. She'll come around soon. They can
> : only carry on like that for just so long. Just give her space and let
> her sulk.
> : Best not to get to tightly wrapped around their paws. Oh and do not be
> : worried when she is very lethargic and sleeps for 2 days. This is very
> : normal after vaccinations. She'll be all groggy and sleepy for probably
> 48
> : hours. She won't remember a thing when she wakes up.
>
> Thanks. That is what seems to have happened. Three days later, her
> jumps are normal, her appetite is almost normal, and she seems to have
> almost forgiven me - not 100% but I am hopeful for the next week. :)

Cat Protector
August 11th 08, 11:59 PM
My cat Icarus hates going to the vet, and when he's there he almost turns
feral. When he gets home he's usually a bit upset but after a while he comes
up to me and relaxes. I'd give your cat some treats and be patient with her.
She'll come around and forgive you eventually. I do that with both my cats
and as long as I appease them, they're fine.