PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Guest that didn't leave!

Phil P.
August 3rd 08, 12:03 AM
I was outside at about 9 PM working on my cats' pen when this handsome fella
strolls up, meows at me, and plops down about 10 feet away. I thought he
was probably someone's cat who got out because there aren't many strays or
ferals in my town. The few that I know of hang out by the restaurants in the
center of town. They're all TNR'd. I always keep a camera in my truck so I
can get picture of any unknown cats. I managed to get a few of him.

I always keep some Fancy Feast in my truck for bait, so I gave him a can.
He polished it off in about 30 secs. and meowed for more, so I gave him
another-- and another-- and another-- and two more before he finally laid
down and took a nap. When he was sitting, I noticed what appeared to be 2
lumps, one his right hip and one almost in the middle of his lower back.
Naturally, I wanted to get this cat to my vet ASAP.

You can see the lumps in these pictures:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg

The next night he showed up again at about the same time- almost to the
minute. I had loaned my drop traps out so all I had were a few Tru-Catch
live traps that I haven't used in years. I gave him a can of food to keep
him occupied while I set the traps. I wasn't worried about filling him up
because I knew one can was just an appetizer for this guy. He wouldn't go
into the traps. Instead, he tried pawing the food through the bars. When he
realized he couldn't get the food, he looked at me and meowed pitifully and
plopped down on the walk about 10 feet away.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-08.jpg http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-05.jpg

I went inside for more food but when I came back out he was gone. I figured
he went home and our meeting was just a one night stand. I was very worried
about the 2 lumps and thought maybe his owners dumped him because the lumps
were malignant and they didn't want to treat him. He wasn't even neutered.

That night after he left, I started making another drop trap. The next day,
I got home about noon and figured I'd finish the trap before he showed up. I
just finished putting on the transfer door and was carrying the trap outside
to paint it. As soon as I got outside- there he was under my truck! He must
have been hiding in the bushes waiting for me. To make a long story short, I
trapped him and took him straight to my vet. We couldn't get a good look at
lumps until we got him out of the carrier. To my relief, the lumps were just
very tightly packed mats! He's a long-hair that hasn't been brushed in
months- or even longer. Thankfully, he's FeLV/FIV negative.

He doesn't look malnourished, http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg but
under all that fur is nothing but skin and bones. I can feel his ribs, hip
bone, and his entire spine. Needless to say, he's on a strict diet of all
the canned kitten food he can eat! For the past week he's been polishing
off 8-10, 3 oz. cans a day.

He wasn't too happy his first night indoors- or he really ****ed at me for
neutering him- because he totally shredded the window screen.
http://maxshouse.com/misc/windowscreen_shredded.jpg. Its a good thing I
reinforced all the windows in the isolation room with 1/8" wire mesh-
otherwise he'd be gone.
http://maxshouse.com/misc/windowscreen_reinforced_screenoutside.jpg The
screen he shredded was in the only window that had the screen on the inside.
The new screen is now on the outside. I don't care that much about the
screen, I just don't want the cats cutting their mouths trying to bite
through the screen.

Anyway, here's what he looks like cleaned up a bit. He wasn't not all that
happy about being brushed, but I think he'll get used to it. He gets a treat
for each brush stroke.
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg

I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
cat. No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the town
and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the people
who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good story.
Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally
mine if I say so.

Phil

cybercat
August 3rd 08, 03:09 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I was outside at about 9 PM working on my cats' pen when this handsome
>fella
> strolls up, meows at me, and plops down about 10 feet away.

[snips great rescue story]

> I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
> cat. No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the
> town
> and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the
> people
> who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good
> story.
> Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally
> mine if I say so.

Phil, I love these stories! I am so glad his lumps were just mats, they
looked scary. Sly is a great name for him. He has a very unusual look about
him, in the shape of his face and head, and his coloring, even his
expression. Do you get a feel for how old he might be? I know it is hard to
tell in adults who are not geriatric.

Once again, good job! Every one of your rescue stories helps counteract the
helplessness the bad stories of abuse and neglect cause. Sly knew where to
come for help!

Candace
August 3rd 08, 05:06 AM
On Aug 2, 4:03*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> [...]
> screen he shredded was in the only window that had the screen on the inside.
> The new screen is now on the outside. I don't care that much about the
> screen, I just don't want the cats cutting their mouths trying to bite
> through the screen.
>
> Anyway, here's what he looks like cleaned up a bit. *He wasn't not all that
> happy about being brushed, but I think he'll get used to it. He gets a treat
> for each brush stroke.http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
>
> I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
> cat. *No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the town
> and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the people
> who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good story.
> Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally

What a cutie and what a funny expression! It's so cool what you do--
you just get it done. I always hem and haw and feed them but don't
get on with the trapping for awhile but you TCB right away. Awesome!

Candace

Jean B.
August 3rd 08, 05:32 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> [...]
> screen he shredded was in the only window that had the screen on the inside.
> The new screen is now on the outside. I don't care that much about the
> screen, I just don't want the cats cutting their mouths trying to bite
> through the screen.
>
> Anyway, here's what he looks like cleaned up a bit. He wasn't not all that
> happy about being brushed, but I think he'll get used to it. He gets a treat
> for each brush stroke.
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
>
> I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
> cat. No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the town
> and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the people
> who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good story.
> Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally

Cute boy! And, once again, you are "God's gift" to cats!

--
Jean B.

Phil P.
August 4th 08, 07:59 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Phil, I love these stories!

I've got a million of 'em! :-) Unfortunately, they all don't have happy
endings. But just one that does is enough to keep me going.

This one is probably the funniest: http://maxshouse.com/catergy.htm I still
get a good a laugh when I think about it.

Here's another funny one: http://maxshouse.com/now_this_is_funny.htm

>I am so glad his lumps were just mats,

Me too! I was really worried for awhile.

they
> looked scary.

They sure did! Here's what his skin looks like with the mats clipped off:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-25.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-matclipped.jpg

> Sly is a great name for him.

He didn't have a name when I took him to my vet. My vet's wife wrote "Phil
Jr." on his carrier tag- I had to change that.

He has a very unusual look
about
> him, in the shape of his face and head, and his coloring, even his
> expression.

I think he's a handsome fella. I took these right after he polished off 4
cans of Fancy Feast. I let him choose between PP Kitten and FF- He
definitely prefers Fancy Feast- which is ok with me. FF contains even more
protein than kitten food. He needs a lot of protein to get back his muscle
mass.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-24.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-23.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-21.jpg

Do you get a feel for how old he might be? I know it is hard
> tell in adults who are not geriatric.

Judging by his teeth and lenses, we figure between 1 1/2 and 2.

> Once again, good job! Every one of your rescue stories helps counteract
the
> helplessness the bad stories of abuse and neglect cause.

Fight back! I think you should get into rescue- you definitely have the
passion- and that's enough. Even if you only save one cat a month or even a
year, it will make a world of a difference to that cat. Remember: "Saving
one cat won't change the world, but it will surely change the world of one
cat".

Sly knew where to
> come for help!

Its really strange that he came to my house. He walked up like he knew
exactly where he was going. My town has very few ferals and strays- and
they usually hang out behind the restaurants in the center of town- about
1/2 mile away. Curious.

Phil

Phil P.
August 4th 08, 08:00 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message

> What a cutie and what a funny expression!

At first glance, he looks a lot like one of two brothers we placed a few
months ago. Sly has an almost perfect white triangle on his face where the
left side of Zak's face is almost all gray. We adopted Zak & Aidan to a
woman who lives
in the next town- about 1/4 mile from my house, so, it was a bit of a
shocker when I first saw him.

http://maxshouse.com/Adopted/Zak+Aidan_M_4yr.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adopted/Zak_4yr.jpg

> It's so cool what you do--

> you just get it done.

Actually, I think I waited too long. I'll never loan out my last droptrap
again- that's for sure. If I had my trap- I would have got him the first
night I saw him.

I always hem and haw and feed them but don't
> get on with the trapping for awhile but you TCB right away. Awesome!

I try to try to get 'em as soon as I can because I might not
see them again- or worse- AC could get them-- or a dog might get 'em--
or they could get hit by a car-- or if she's a female, she might get
pregnant or be pregnant and have her litter where I'll never find them-
until they have litters---
I'm
too scared to wait.

Phil

Phil P.
August 4th 08, 08:19 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message

> Cute boy!

He probably drove all the girl cats wild!

I think the white stripes down his front limbs are really cool:
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-26.jpg

> And, once again, you are "God's gift" to cats!

Thanks.

I think cats are god's gift to me.

Phil

CatNipped[_2_]
August 4th 08, 05:47 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> screen, I just don't want the cats cutting their mouths trying to bite
> through the screen.
>
> Anyway, here's what he looks like cleaned up a bit. He wasn't not all
> that
> happy about being brushed, but I think he'll get used to it. He gets a
> treat
> for each brush stroke.
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
>
> I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
> cat. No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the
> town
> and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the
> people
> who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good
> story.
> Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally

I thought they might be mats when I looked at the picture - that's how Percy
(15-year-old pure-bred Persian who was dropped off at a shelter by an owner
who "suddenly developed allergies"). We had to take him to a groomer and
have him completely shaved into a "lion cut".

Again, bless your enormous heart for all you do for the unwanted and unloved
waifs out there!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
August 4th 08, 05:49 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>

>> Phil, I love these stories!
>
> I've got a million of 'em! :-) Unfortunately, they all don't have happy
> endings. But just one that does is enough to keep me going.
>
> This one is probably the funniest: http://maxshouse.com/catergy.htm I
> still
> get a good a laugh when I think about it.

I've seen that one before, but it still makes me laugh out loud (and some
people consider them "dumb animals" - riiiiiiight) ;>

> Here's another funny one: http://maxshouse.com/now_this_is_funny.htm

LOL! Now that was the first time I've seen that one - cute!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Phil P.
August 5th 08, 12:50 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

> I thought they might be mats when I looked at the picture -

The lower lump in the picture sure didn't look like a mat to me. It looked
even worse "in cat".

that's how Percy
> (15-year-old pure-bred Persian who was dropped off at a shelter by an
owner
> who "suddenly developed allergies").

We've been getting a lot of those bull**** stories lately. If they
relinquish the cat at one of our in-store adoption centers, I have to bite
my tongue. But if they bring the cat to the shelter- I *really* grill them-
and I mean *really grill them*-- after they sign the surrender form, of
course. But I *never-ever* try to talk them into keeping the cat.

The more "forclosure pets" are in the news, the more pets are abandoned. Its
like surrender stories are some kind of absolution for low-involvement,
low-commitment, low-lives. The "everyone else is doing it so it must be ok"
mentality. Maybe one surrender story in 50 or more is actually true.

We had to take him to a groomer and
> have him completely shaved into a "lion cut".

I know what you mean. I found a cat covered in oil base paint- had to shave
off most of his coat.

> Again, bless your enormous heart for all you do for the unwanted and
unloved
> waifs out there!

Thanks- but there are no unwanted and unloved cats. I love and want them
all- I just don't have enough space for all of them... at the moment.

Phil

Jean B.
August 6th 08, 02:17 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>

>> Cute boy!
>
> He probably drove all the girl cats wild!
>
> I think the white stripes down his front limbs are really cool:
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-26.jpg
>

>> And, once again, you are "God's gift" to cats!
>
> Thanks.
>
> I think cats are god's gift to me.
>
> Phil

Good point! That is the way a true cat lover would and should think!

--
Jean B.

Phil P.
August 11th 08, 10:28 PM
Here's a shocker: Sly is declawed! Because he wasn't neutered, I didn't
even think of checking his claws- neither did anyone else. He trusts me
enough now to let me touch
and hold his paws. So I thought I would try to trim his claws. At first I
thought he had his claws tightly retracted, but I when I tried to unsheathe
them, he didn't have any- except one very small claw on the last digit. Its
probably a deformed regrowth- which means I have to x-ray both his front
paws. When there's regrowth in one digit, there's usually regrowth in
others. Deformed claws can regrow *inside* the paw and can be very painful.

http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/claws/claw_x-ray.jpg

No one in the 16 surrounding towns reported a missing cat matching his
description in the last 3 months. We've put up almost 300 posters in about 1
mile radius of my house. If I lost a cat, especially a declawed
cat- I'd be putting up missing cat posters all over and calling the police
and AC 2 in surrounding towns or 3 times a day.

Now, I'm almost completely convinced he was abused and dumped and that his
previous
owner was probably a male. A woman would've had him neutered and declawed.
But only a macho moron would declaw a cat but leave him intact. They're
under the delusion that the cat will "lose his manhood". Its the same
mentality as the idiots who buy neuticles for their neutered males.

I'm thinking he was dumped because he was marking around his house-
especially if he saw cats outside. He probably marked much more with urine
because he couldn't mark with his claws. Intact male urine--- nothing else
needs to be said. I hope the smell permeates all the way down to the
foundation.

On the brighter side- I can't feel his ribs and pelvis as easily as I could
when I trapped him. So, he's gained back some weight- muscle mass. He's not
devouring 10 cans of FF & PP anymore as if he didn't know when he would eat
again. He's down to about 6 or 7 cans and eats slowly like he's actually
enjoying his food. It took about a week, but now he purrs as soon as I
start petting him. So I think he's getting his trust back.

I got a few calls from the posters we put up from people wanting to adopt
him if I couldn't find his owner. I think he needs a little more time before
I put him up for adoption- *if* I put him up for adoption.

I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did before I
knew he was declawed
but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I will.
Its probably better for them and me if I don't.

Phil

cshenk
August 12th 08, 01:58 AM
"Phil P." wrote

> thought he had his claws tightly retracted, but I when I tried to
> unsheathe
> them, he didn't have any- except one very small claw on the last digit.
> Its
> probably a deformed regrowth- which means I have to x-ray both his front
> paws. When there's regrowth in one digit, there's usually regrowth in
> others. Deformed claws can regrow *inside* the paw and can be very
> painful.

Ouch. I am so sorry. 2 declawed cats i rescued had terribly bad jobs of
that and on all 4 feet. So bad, the vet tried from all the info I had, to
hunt down the previous owners as he suspected it was a home job with big
toenail clippers but they had moved (skipped town).

The vet was pretty cool though. He gave me a price break at 100$ a foot to
have them all fixed up as best as he could. Going rate was double that or
more. Although they were never truely 'comfortable' they were visibly more
so after he fixed as best as he could.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 12th 08, 03:14 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Here's a shocker: Sly is declawed! Because he wasn't neutered, I didn't
> even think of checking his claws- neither did anyone else. He trusts me
> enough now to let me touch
> and hold his paws. So I thought I would try to trim his claws. At first I
> thought he had his claws tightly retracted, but I when I tried to
> unsheathe
> them, he didn't have any- except one very small claw on the last digit.
> Its
> probably a deformed regrowth- which means I have to x-ray both his front
> paws. When there's regrowth in one digit, there's usually regrowth in
> others. Deformed claws can regrow *inside* the paw and can be very
> painful.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/claws/claw_x-ray.jpg
>
> No one in the 16 surrounding towns reported a missing cat matching his
> description in the last 3 months. We've put up almost 300 posters in about
> 1
> mile radius of my house. If I lost a cat, especially a declawed
> cat- I'd be putting up missing cat posters all over and calling the police
> and AC 2 in surrounding towns or 3 times a day.
>
> Now, I'm almost completely convinced he was abused and dumped and that
> his
> previous
> owner was probably a male. A woman would've had him neutered and
> declawed.
> But only a macho moron would declaw a cat but leave him intact. They're
> under the delusion that the cat will "lose his manhood". Its the same
> mentality as the idiots who buy neuticles for their neutered males.
>
> I'm thinking he was dumped because he was marking around his house-
> especially if he saw cats outside. He probably marked much more with
> urine
> because he couldn't mark with his claws. Intact male urine--- nothing else
> needs to be said. I hope the smell permeates all the way down to the
> foundation.

Tell me about it!! After we rescued Hunter, as I was bringing him home from
being neutered, he had an "accident" in the Sherpa carrier (which I'd
stupidly placed on the truck seat with a seatbelt around it rather than on
the floor). The pee soaked through the Sherpa bag and onto my truck's seat.
We've used *gallons* of "Natures Miracle" in there - regular and orange
fragrance. Now the truck smells like orange tom cat pee! And after sitting
in a parking lot in the hot sun all day during summer in Houston, the smell
in the truck will almost make me pass out when I get in it to go home after
work!

I agree - may that smell have soaked down to the foundations of that
@$$hole's house!

> On the brighter side- I can't feel his ribs and pelvis as easily as I
> could
> when I trapped him. So, he's gained back some weight- muscle mass. He's
> not
> devouring 10 cans of FF & PP anymore as if he didn't know when he would
> eat
> again. He's down to about 6 or 7 cans and eats slowly like he's actually
> enjoying his food. It took about a week, but now he purrs as soon as I
> start petting him. So I think he's getting his trust back.
>
> I got a few calls from the posters we put up from people wanting to adopt
> him if I couldn't find his owner. I think he needs a little more time
> before
> I put him up for adoption- *if* I put him up for adoption.

Even if you find the owner, I'd be hesitant to give him back to the person
who had him declawed. It might not be ethical, but if I were you I'd be
going around taking down those "found cat" posters.

> I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did before
> knew he was declawed
> but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I will.
> Its probably better for them and me if I don't.

Oh, ok, there you go then! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Phil

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 12th 08, 03:27 PM
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:14:48 -0500, CatNipped > wrote:

>Tell me about it!! After we rescued Hunter, as I was bringing him home from
>being neutered, he had an "accident" in the Sherpa carrier (which I'd
>stupidly placed on the truck seat with a seatbelt around it rather than on
>the floor). The pee soaked through the Sherpa bag and onto my truck's seat.
>We've used *gallons* of "Natures Miracle" in there - regular and orange
>fragrance. Now the truck smells like orange tom cat pee! And after sitting
>in a parking lot in the hot sun all day during summer in Houston, the smell
>in the truck will almost make me pass out when I get in it to go home after
>work!

Boiling water might be tried next; vacuum it up with a shopvac.

However, it is probably time to replace the seat. Find a used one at a
junkyard.

cybercat
August 12th 08, 07:05 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did before
> knew he was declawed
> but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I will.
> Its probably better for them and me if I don't.

I would say so. It is just unbelievable how stupid and/or cruel so many
people are.

Jean B.
August 13th 08, 10:18 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> Here's a shocker: Sly is declawed! Because he wasn't neutered, I didn't
> even think of checking his claws- neither did anyone else. He trusts me
> enough now to let me touch
> and hold his paws. So I thought I would try to trim his claws. At first I
> thought he had his claws tightly retracted, but I when I tried to unsheathe
> them, he didn't have any- except one very small claw on the last digit. Its
> probably a deformed regrowth- which means I have to x-ray both his front
> paws. When there's regrowth in one digit, there's usually regrowth in
> others. Deformed claws can regrow *inside* the paw and can be very painful.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/claws/claw_x-ray.jpg
>
> No one in the 16 surrounding towns reported a missing cat matching his
> description in the last 3 months. We've put up almost 300 posters in about 1
> mile radius of my house. If I lost a cat, especially a declawed
> cat- I'd be putting up missing cat posters all over and calling the police
> and AC 2 in surrounding towns or 3 times a day.
>
> Now, I'm almost completely convinced he was abused and dumped and that his
> previous
> owner was probably a male. A woman would've had him neutered and declawed.
> But only a macho moron would declaw a cat but leave him intact. They're
> under the delusion that the cat will "lose his manhood". Its the same
> mentality as the idiots who buy neuticles for their neutered males.
>
> I'm thinking he was dumped because he was marking around his house-
> especially if he saw cats outside. He probably marked much more with urine
> because he couldn't mark with his claws. Intact male urine--- nothing else
> needs to be said. I hope the smell permeates all the way down to the
> foundation.
>
> On the brighter side- I can't feel his ribs and pelvis as easily as I could
> when I trapped him. So, he's gained back some weight- muscle mass. He's not
> devouring 10 cans of FF & PP anymore as if he didn't know when he would eat
> again. He's down to about 6 or 7 cans and eats slowly like he's actually
> enjoying his food. It took about a week, but now he purrs as soon as I
> start petting him. So I think he's getting his trust back.
>
> I got a few calls from the posters we put up from people wanting to adopt
> him if I couldn't find his owner. I think he needs a little more time before
> I put him up for adoption- *if* I put him up for adoption.
>
> I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did before I
> knew he was declawed
> but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I will.
> Its probably better for them and me if I don't.
>
> Phil

Declawed and not neutered. That's a new one for me--but I'm sure
not for you. The worse of all worlds. :-(

--
Jean B.

Phil P.
August 15th 08, 06:38 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." wrote
>
> > thought he had his claws tightly retracted, but I when I tried to
> > unsheathe
> > them, he didn't have any- except one very small claw on the last digit.
> > Its
> > probably a deformed regrowth- which means I have to x-ray both his front
> > paws. When there's regrowth in one digit, there's usually regrowth in
> > others. Deformed claws can regrow *inside* the paw and can be very
> > painful.
>
> Ouch. I am so sorry. 2 declawed cats i rescued had terribly bad jobs of
> that and on all 4 feet. So bad, the vet tried from all the info I had, to
> hunt down the previous owners as he suspected it was a home job with big
> toenail clippers but they had moved (skipped town).

Actually, the Roscoe claw trimmer was used for declaws for many years. Some
butchers still use them because they can do a complete front declaw in 5
minutes- 5 times faster than a scapel. Some vets preform such botchy declaws
that they look like were done with a human toenail clipper.

Phil P.
August 15th 08, 07:05 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > start petting him. So I think he's getting his trust back.
> >
> > I got a few calls from the posters we put up from people wanting to
adopt
> > him if I couldn't find his owner. I think he needs a little more time
> > before
> > I put him up for adoption- *if* I put him up for adoption.
>
> Even if you find the owner, I'd be hesitant to give him back to the person
> who had him declawed. It might not be ethical, but if I were you I'd be
> going around taking down those "found cat" posters.
>

> > I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did
before
> > knew he was declawed
> > but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I
will.
> > Its probably better for them and me if I don't.

The owner will never call- he never even reported the cat missing.

The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet him-
I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly and
purrs up a storm. But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him, he'll
hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
only means one thing.

I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I found
out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of hospital
bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.

cshenk
August 15th 08, 08:13 AM
"Phil P." wrote

>> Ouch. I am so sorry. 2 declawed cats i rescued had terribly bad jobs of
>> that and on all 4 feet. So bad, the vet tried from all the info I had,
>> hunt down the previous owners as he suspected it was a home job with big
>> toenail clippers but they had moved (skipped town).
>
> Actually, the Roscoe claw trimmer was used for declaws for many years.
> Some
> butchers still use them because they can do a complete front declaw in 5
> minutes- 5 times faster than a scapel. Some vets preform such botchy
> declaws
> that they look like were done with a human toenail clipper.

Ewwwh! But then again, I like my cats as the 'great being' designed them
except I do nip off the very tips ever month or so. I prefer they have all
4 foots intact, just as designed and when I think of it, havent bothered to
give Daisy a manicure in 2 months now.

I do need to take Cash in for one though. I dont know how to safely trim
his nails (dog with fairly thick ones) so call me silly but i'd rather pay a
professional to do it.

Cash has heart problems so can not be 'run' much at all, hence his nails
dont naturally trim as much as most would. About every 3 months, he needs a
manicure ;-)

cshenk
August 15th 08, 08:21 AM
"Phil P." wrote

> The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet
> him-
> I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly and
> purrs up a storm. But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him,
> he'll
> hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
> only means one thing.

Same with Daisy-cat though she's eased up a bit from it over the past
months. She doesnt actualy 'hiss' but she does the rest with the back
scrunched up.

It's very notable and would be with kids, except she hides then if any but
our Charlotte is here. (oddly, she accepts Charlotte well).

> I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
> declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I found
> out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of
> hospital
> bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.

Grin, I'd help pay your bills off!

I would *never* declaw a cat, but I try to be moderate in reply to those who
have done so in the past due to ignorance.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 15th 08, 01:40 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> [...]
>> > Its probably better for them and me if I don't.
>>
>> Oh, ok, there you go then! ;>
>
> The owner will never call- he never even reported the cat missing.
>
> The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet
> him-
> I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly and
> purrs up a storm. But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him,
> he'll
> hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
> only means one thing.
>
> I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
> declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I found
> out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of
> hospital
> bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.

I hear you! And if you do find him, well, I wouldn't be able to help with
your arrest record, but write me if you need help paying fines! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:08 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Anyway, here's what he looks like cleaned up a bit. He wasn't not all
> that
> happy about being brushed, but I think he'll get used to it. He gets a
> treat
> for each brush stroke.
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg

He's a good looking cat alright. He seems calm too.

> I've already called the police and AC to see if anyone reported a missing
> cat. No luck. I'm going to get some kids to put posters up around the
> town
> and see if anyone calls-- although I don't want to return him to the
> people
> who let him get into that condition unless they have a *really* good
> story.
> Since he had no ID or chip and I trapped him on my property, he's legally
> mine if I say so.
>

> Phil

It's really nice what you've done for your handsome stranger. Kindness is
sorely lacking in today's world. Good job Phil!

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:10 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> He wasn't too happy his first night indoors- or he really ****ed at me for
> neutering him- because he totally shredded the window screen.
> http://maxshouse.com/misc/windowscreen_shredded.jpg. Its a good thing I
> reinforced all the windows in the isolation room with 1/8" wire mesh-
> otherwise he'd be gone.

He's a strong little guy isn't he!

> Phil

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:16 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>

>> Phil, I love these stories!
>
> I've got a million of 'em! :-) Unfortunately, they all don't have happy
> endings. But just one that does is enough to keep me going.
>
> This one is probably the funniest: http://maxshouse.com/catergy.htm I
> still
> get a good a laugh when I think about it.

LOL. Funny stuff.

> Here's another funny one: http://maxshouse.com/now_this_is_funny.htm

LOL. The black one saw you and still went for the bait. I guess his friend
was smarter.

>>I am so glad his lumps were just mats,
>
> Me too! I was really worried for awhile.
>

> they
>> looked scary.
>
> They sure did! Here's what his skin looks like with the mats clipped off:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-25.jpg
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-matclipped.jpg
>

>> Sly is a great name for him.
>

> He didn't have a name when I took him to my vet. My vet's wife wrote
> "Phil
> Jr." on his carrier tag- I had to change that.
>

> He has a very unusual look
> about
>> him, in the shape of his face and head, and his coloring, even his
>> expression.
>
> I think he's a handsome fella. I took these right after he polished off
> 4
> cans of Fancy Feast. I let him choose between PP Kitten and FF- He
> definitely prefers Fancy Feast- which is ok with me. FF contains even more
> protein than kitten food. He needs a lot of protein to get back his
> muscle
> mass.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-24.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-23.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-21.jpg
>

> Do you get a feel for how old he might be? I know it is hard
>> tell in adults who are not geriatric.
>

> Judging by his teeth and lenses, we figure between 1 1/2 and 2.
>

>> Once again, good job! Every one of your rescue stories helps counteract
> the
>> helplessness the bad stories of abuse and neglect cause.
>

> Fight back! I think you should get into rescue- you definitely have the
> passion- and that's enough. Even if you only save one cat a month or even
> year, it will make a world of a difference to that cat. Remember: "Saving
> one cat won't change the world, but it will surely change the world of one
> cat".
>

> Sly knew where to
>> come for help!
>
> Its really strange that he came to my house. He walked up like he knew
> exactly where he was going. My town has very few ferals and strays- and
> they usually hang out behind the restaurants in the center of town- about
> 1/2 mile away. Curious.
>

> Phil

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:17 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Cute boy! And, once again, you are "God's gift" to cats!

I'll second that.

> --
> Jean B.

Stampir
August 16th 08, 07:20 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> not
> devouring 10 cans of FF & PP anymore as if he didn't know when he would
> eat
> again. He's down to about 6 or 7 cans and eats slowly like he's actually
> enjoying his food. It took about a week, but now he purrs as soon as I
> start petting him. So I think he's getting his trust back.
>
> I got a few calls from the posters we put up from people wanting to adopt
> him if I couldn't find his owner. I think he needs a little more time
> before
> I put him up for adoption- *if* I put him up for adoption.
>
> I think I want to find his previous owner even more now than I did before
> knew he was declawed
> but not neutered- but for a different reason.... But I don't think I will.
> Its probably better for them and me if I don't.

I'd help you out w/that Phil. The guy must've been a real lowlife scumbag.
Especially to turn out a declawed cat into the wild.

> Phil

Lesley
August 16th 08, 06:53 PM
On 15 Aug, 23:20, "Stampir" > wrote:

> I'd help you out w/that Phil. The guy must've been a real lowlife scumbag.
> Especially to turn out a declawed cat into the wild.

Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
regard it as cruel to turn the cat out after all if they'd accquired
the cat with any real interest in cats they would have presumably
looked into the pro's and con's of declawing and not done it

I'm in the UK and you can say what you like about the UK but one thing
we do have is that unless it's done for good vet reasons eg a tumour
on the affected toe or a chronic infection that can't be sorted any
other way (and then it's only to be the affected toe) declawing is
illegal. I never really heard about it until I started coming online
and one day I made the mistake of looking at an anti-declawing
website..I very nearly threw up!

As someone else once said

"Leather sofa- 1,000 dollars
Armchair- 500 dollars
Knowing my cats are being cats and have all their claws- priceless"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Phil P.
August 17th 08, 02:37 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> [...]

> > > Its probably better for them and me if I don't.
> >
> > Oh, ok, there you go then! ;>
>
> The owner will never call- he never even reported the cat missing.
>
> The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet
him-
> I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly and
> purrs up a storm. But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him,
he'll
> hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
> only means one thing.
>
> I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
> declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I found
> out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of
hospital
> bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.

I changed my mind. I'm hunting down the scumbag. I came to the decision
when a friend of mine came over last night to see Sly. When we walked into
the room, he hissed and growled from the other side of the room and cowed
into the corner. We were more than 20' feet away from him and he was still
freaking out. Then he tried to scurry up the cat tree to get to his
security spot in the corner of the shelf in the closet. But when he jumped
up to the middle shelf of the cat tree, he couldn't hold on and started
paddling frantically trying to get a grip as he fell. For a few seconds he
just sat there where he fell. He looked totally bewildered and didn't
understand what just happened. The look on his face and his posture were
absolutely heartbreaking. He looked like he was afraid to move- and it
wasn't because we were there.

His scumbag owner not only beat and abused him, he broke his spirit and
ruined a beautiful, regal, cat's life. This cat won't be adoptable for a
long time- if ever. It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. I looked him in the
eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.

I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal". Calidor was a royal prince and the
son of Carbonel, the king of cats in a children's book of the 50s. His
markings look like a robe draped over his shoulders.

Phil

Lesley
August 17th 08, 03:39 PM
On 17 Aug, 06:37, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>

> > "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > > "Phil P." > wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]
> > didn't
> me
> first
> digit.
> front

> > about
> > police

> that
> They're

> > else
>
> > > Tell me about it!! *After we rescued Hunter, as I was bringing him home
> > from
> > > being neutered, he had an "accident" in the Sherpa carrier (which I'd
> > > stupidly placed on the truck seat with a seatbelt around it rather than
> on
> > > the floor). *The pee soaked through the Sherpa bag and onto my truck's
> > seat.
> > > We've used *gallons* of "Natures Miracle" in there - regular and orange
> > > fragrance. *Now the truck smells like orange tom cat pee! *And after
> > sitting
> > > in a parking lot in the hot sun all day during summer in Houston, the
> > smell
> > > in the truck will almost make me pass out when I get in it to go home
> > after
> > > work!
>
> > > I agree - may that smell have soaked down to the foundations of that
> > > @$$hole's house!

> He's
> would
> > actually

> > adopt
>
> > > Even if you find the owner, I'd be hesitant to give him back to the
> person
> > > who had him declawed. *It might not be ethical, but if I were you I'd be
> > > going around taking down those "found cat" posters.

> > before
> > will.
>
> > > Oh, ok, there you go then! *;>
>
> > The owner will never call- he never even reported the cat missing.
>
> > The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet
> him-
> > I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly and
> > purrs up a storm. *But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him,
> he'll
> > hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
> > only means one thing.
>
> > I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
> > declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I found
> > out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of
> hospital
> > bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.
>
> I changed my mind. *I'm hunting down the scumbag.

Can I send something via PayPal to get you some bullets?

*For a few seconds he
> just sat there where he fell. *He looked totally bewildered and didn't
> understand what just happened. *The look on his face and his posture were
> absolutely heartbreaking.

Poor Cal- he doesn''t understand why he can't climb anymore

> His scumbag owner not only beat and abused him, he broke his spirit and
> ruined a beautiful, regal, cat's life.

That's why I am offering to pay for the bullets or is that too damn
quick- for starters I'd like to use a pair of pliers and rip the
scumbag''s fingernails out with them- see if they like it!

This cat won't be adoptable for a
> long time- if ever. *It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
> him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. *I looked him in the
> eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.

At least he has you and you have all the time for him

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

cybercat
August 17th 08, 06:18 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
> him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. I looked him in
> the
> eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.

I love you, Phil.

> I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal". Calidor was a royal prince and
> the
> son of Carbonel, the king of cats in a children's book of the 50s. His
> markings look like a robe draped over his shoulders.

Very pretty. Don't get into trouble over his owner. Hand it over to those
Animal Abuse people or something.

J a c k
August 17th 08, 09:26 PM
Lesley wrote:

> Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
> regard it as cruel to turn the cat out....

Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I suppose.

Jack

J a c k
August 17th 08, 09:41 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Actually, the Roscoe claw trimmer was used for declaws for many years. Some
> butchers still use them because they can do a complete front declaw in 5
> minutes- 5 times faster than a scapel. Some vets preform such botchy declaws
> that they look like were done with a human toenail clipper.

One word: Laser.

Jack

Stampir
August 17th 08, 10:59 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
> On 15 Aug, 23:20, "Stampir" > wrote:
>

>> I'd help you out w/that Phil. The guy must've been a real lowlife
>> scumbag.
>> Especially to turn out a declawed cat into the wild.
>>

> Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
> regard it as cruel to turn the cat out after all if they'd accquired
> the cat with any real interest in cats they would have presumably
> looked into the pro's and con's of declawing and not done it
>
> I'm in the UK and you can say what you like about the UK but one thing
> we do have is that unless it's done for good vet reasons eg a tumour
> on the affected toe or a chronic infection that can't be sorted any
> other way (and then it's only to be the affected toe) declawing is
> illegal. I never really heard about it until I started coming online
> and one day I made the mistake of looking at an anti-declawing
> website..I very nearly threw up!
>
> As someone else once said
>
> "Leather sofa- 1,000 dollars
> Armchair- 500 dollars
> Knowing my cats are being cats and have all their claws- priceless"
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I suppose I'd rather have cats w/claws. I just wish they would learn
to control them better. Not so much for the furniture as for my
skin and scars. You can bat me w/open paws and get your message
across just as easily as you can w/paws and claws. And while playing
is fun, it would be a lot more fun for me if you could keep the claws
SHEATHED.

Stampir
August 17th 08, 11:03 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I changed my mind. I'm hunting down the scumbag. I came to the decision
> when a friend of mine came over last night to see Sly. When we walked
> into
> the room, he hissed and growled from the other side of the room and cowed
> into the corner. We were more than 20' feet away from him and he was
> still
> freaking out. Then he tried to scurry up the cat tree to get to his
> security spot in the corner of the shelf in the closet. But when he jumped
> up to the middle shelf of the cat tree, he couldn't hold on and started
> paddling frantically trying to get a grip as he fell. For a few seconds
> he
> just sat there where he fell. He looked totally bewildered and didn't
> understand what just happened. The look on his face and his posture were
> absolutely heartbreaking. He looked like he was afraid to move- and it
> wasn't because we were there.

Don't do it Phil. There are too many animals depending on you and too
many animals that love you (even the two-legged kind).

If anything, I'd not suggest some gentle vandalism though. I'd not make his
car/vehicle
feel some pain.

> His scumbag owner not only beat and abused him, he broke his spirit and
> ruined a beautiful, regal, cat's life. This cat won't be adoptable for a
> long time- if ever. It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
> him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. I looked him in
> the
> eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.

You're a good guy man, don't get thrown in jail, after all, Cal needs you.

> I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal". Calidor was a royal prince and
> the
> son of Carbonel, the king of cats in a children's book of the 50s. His
> markings look like a robe draped over his shoulders.
>
> Phil

cybercat
August 17th 08, 11:19 PM
"Stampir" > wrote
> I suppose I'd rather have cats w/claws. I just wish they would learn
> to control them better. Not so much for the furniture as for my
> skin and scars. You can bat me w/open paws and get your message
> across just as easily as you can w/paws and claws. And while playing
> is fun, it would be a lot more fun for me if you could keep the claws
> SHEATHED.

CLIP them. It is easy. You clip the tips once or twice a month, and they
cannot hurt you.

Phil P.
August 17th 08, 11:36 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote
>
> > It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
> > him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. I looked him in
> > the
> > eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.
>
> I love you, Phil.
>

> > I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal". Calidor was a royal prince and
> > the
> > son of Carbonel, the king of cats in a children's book of the 50s. His
> > markings look like a robe draped over his shoulders.
> >

> Very pretty. Don't get into trouble over his owner. Hand it over to those
> Animal Abuse people or something.

I'm furious- not stupid (maybe just a little for posting my intentions). I
have too many responsibilities to do something stupid. If I can hunt him
down, we're going to try to get him on an abandonment charge. I know it
doesn't sound serious, but at least I will make it expensive for him and
make his life as miserable as I can for as long as I can. I can't spend my
life hunting down all the people who abused the animals we get. But I'll
make an exception in this case.

I'm just thankful Cal wandered on my property instead of one of my
neighbors'. If AC got him first, they would have killed him right in their
van.

Phil P.
August 17th 08, 11:37 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
On 17 Aug, 06:37, "Phil P." > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The cat was definitely abused. If he doesn't see my hand coming to pet
> him-
> > I can pet him all over. He even rolls over so I can scratch his belly
and
> > purrs up a storm. But if I raise my hand in front of him to pet him,
> he'll
> > hiss and try to bite and swat it. He's definitely afraid of hands- which
> > only means one thing.
>
> > I was in the process of checking with vets in my area who might have
> > declawed him and know the owner- but then I said "why bother". If I
found
> > out, I'd probably end up in cuffs and with thousands of dollars of
> hospital
> > bills for putting the owner in ICU for a few months.
>
>> I changed my mind. I'm hunting down the scumbag.

>Can I send something via PayPal to get you some bullets?

Actually, I'd rather get him into a ring for say, 24 hours. But I'll have
to settle for an abandonment charge if I can hunt him down.

For a few seconds he
>> just sat there where he fell. He looked totally bewildered and didn't
>> understand what just happened. The look on his face and his posture were
..> absolutely heartbreaking.

>Poor Cal- he doesn''t understand why he can't climb anymore

>> His scumbag owner not only beat and abused him, he broke his spirit and
>> ruined a beautiful, regal, cat's life.

> That's why I am offering to pay for the bullets or is that too damn
> quick- for starters I'd like to use a pair of pliers and rip the
>scumbag''s fingernails out with them- see if they like it!

The cat's claw isn't like a human fingernail, its part of the last bone
(distal phalanx) in the cat's toe. The human equivalent to declawing would
be amputating the distal phalanges at the interphalangeal joints.

This cat won't be adoptable for a
> long time- if ever. It will take months or maybe years- maybe never- for
> him to trust humans enough again to be happy in a home. I looked him in
the
>> eyes and told him I have all the time he needs.
>

> At least he has you and you have all the time for him

That's a promise.

Phil P.
August 17th 08, 11:37 PM
"J a c k" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > Actually, the Roscoe claw trimmer was used for declaws for many years.
Some
> > butchers still use them because they can do a complete front declaw in 5
> > minutes- 5 times faster than a scapel. Some vets preform such botchy
declaws
> > that they look like were done with a human toenail clipper.
>

> One word: Laser.

One word: Deprivation.

Phil P.
August 17th 08, 11:37 PM
"J a c k" > wrote in message
> Lesley wrote:
>
> > Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
> > regard it as cruel to turn the cat out....
>

> Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I suppose.
>

> Jack

Oh no, another moron who doesn't have the intelligence to teach a cat where
to scratch. Have too many of them already.

jmc
August 18th 08, 12:46 AM
Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:26 PM):
> Lesley wrote:
>
>> Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
>> regard it as cruel to turn the cat out....
>

> Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I suppose.
>

> Jack

**sigh** Yup, I'm one too. D'ya know what declawing really is? I can
come over and demonstrate, if you'd like. Won't hurt much or anything,
I'm only gonna take your fingers off at the first joint.

Although, Lesley, sometimes "the sort of person who would declaw a cat"
is just ignorant. When I was 18 I had my first cat declawed. I had no
idea what the procedure entailed, nor did my vet tell me. Wasn't till a
few years later that I learned what a horrific thing I did to poor Mouse.

jmc

Stampir
August 18th 08, 10:28 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Stampir" > wrote
>> I suppose I'd rather have cats w/claws. I just wish they would learn
>> to control them better. Not so much for the furniture as for my
>> skin and scars. You can bat me w/open paws and get your message
>> across just as easily as you can w/paws and claws. And while playing
>> is fun, it would be a lot more fun for me if you could keep the claws
>> SHEATHED.
>
> CLIP them. It is easy. You clip the tips once or twice a month, and they
> cannot hurt you.

I've heard if you don't do it right, the cat will bleed. Also, I don't know
how cooperative Blackie would be -- I'm guessing he won't be.

jmc
August 18th 08, 10:58 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Stampir exclaimed (8/18/2008 5:28 PM):
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> "Stampir" > wrote
>>> I suppose I'd rather have cats w/claws. I just wish they would learn
>>> to control them better. Not so much for the furniture as for my
>>> skin and scars. You can bat me w/open paws and get your message
>>> across just as easily as you can w/paws and claws. And while playing
>>> is fun, it would be a lot more fun for me if you could keep the claws
>>> SHEATHED.
>> CLIP them. It is easy. You clip the tips once or twice a month, and they
>> cannot hurt you.
>
> I've heard if you don't do it right, the cat will bleed. Also, I don't know
> how cooperative Blackie would be -- I'm guessing he won't be.

So you err on the side of caution. "Right" just means - don't clip too
much off, and get the quick. Meep tells me if I'm too close - I apply
light pressure to start, and if she doesn't hiss, I clip.

Cooperation can be taught. I've not had to do that - Meep is pretty
compliant - so more experienced folks than I can surely offer ways to
train an adult cat to accept clipping.

And if that doesn't work, there's these things called "soft claws" (or
is it soft paws?) that are plastic caps for their claws, so they can't
hurt the furniture.

jmc

cybercat
August 18th 08, 11:35 PM
"Stampir" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stampir" > wrote
>>> I suppose I'd rather have cats w/claws. I just wish they would learn
>>> to control them better. Not so much for the furniture as for my
>>> skin and scars. You can bat me w/open paws and get your message
>>> across just as easily as you can w/paws and claws. And while playing
>>> is fun, it would be a lot more fun for me if you could keep the claws
>>> SHEATHED.
>>
>> CLIP them. It is easy. You clip the tips once or twice a month, and they
>> cannot hurt you.
>
> I've heard if you don't do it right, the cat will bleed. Also, I don't
> know
> how cooperative Blackie would be -- I'm guessing he won't be.

So learn to do it (you have Internet) and get a friend to hold the cat. Just
do it, don't whine about it. I wrap the cats in a towel, burrito style, pull
one foot out, my husband clips the very tip of their claws once a month.
Twice he went too deep and Gracie bled a little bit, but she forgot all
about it right after and nothing bad happened.

Stampir
August 19th 08, 08:02 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Stampir" > wrote
>>>
>>> CLIP them. It is easy. You clip the tips once or twice a month, and they
>>> cannot hurt you.
>>
>> I've heard if you don't do it right, the cat will bleed. Also, I don't
>> know
>> how cooperative Blackie would be -- I'm guessing he won't be.
>
> So learn to do it (you have Internet) and get a friend to hold the cat.
> Just do it, don't whine about it. I wrap the cats in a towel, burrito
> style, pull one foot out, my husband clips the very tip of their claws
> once a month. Twice he went too deep and Gracie bled a little bit, but she
> forgot all about it right after and nothing bad happened.

So it doesn't hurt the cat? He doesn't feel any pain when you do this?

cybercat
August 19th 08, 05:04 PM
"Stampir" > wrote

>> once a month. Twice he went too deep and Gracie bled a little bit, but
>> she forgot all about it right after and nothing bad happened.
>
> So it doesn't hurt the cat? He doesn't feel any pain when you do this?

Sure it hurt her. Have you ever clipped one of yours a bit too short? I was
upset. But it was no big deal, and he has since learned to be more careful
and just cut the tip off. We have been clipping our two cats' claws for
seven years once a month. It's no big deal. And it means the damage they can
do is really curtailed.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 19th 08, 05:33 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Stampir" > wrote
>
>>> once a month. Twice he went too deep and Gracie bled a little bit, but
>>> she forgot all about it right after and nothing bad happened.
>>
>> So it doesn't hurt the cat? He doesn't feel any pain when you do this?
>
> Sure it hurt her. Have you ever clipped one of yours a bit too short? I
> was upset. But it was no big deal, and he has since learned to be more
> careful and just cut the tip off. We have been clipping our two cats'
> claws for seven years once a month. It's no big deal. And it means the
> damage they can do is really curtailed.

With grandchildren and cats (and, I confess, being the klutz that I am and
the slob that my husband it) - we don't much care about the state of our
crappy furniture. But as you get older your skin gets thinner and I *bleed*
a lot less when I keep claws trimmed (even if they aren't being malicious,
accidents can happen when you're playing with them).

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
August 19th 08, 05:47 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> With grandchildren and cats (and, I confess, being the klutz that I am and
> the slob that my husband it) - we don't much care about the state of our
> crappy furniture. But as you get older your skin gets thinner and I
> *bleed* a lot less when I keep claws trimmed (even if they aren't being
> malicious, accidents can happen when you're playing with them).

I hear you. Once we made the mistake of taking Boo to the vet when it was
time to trim, her claws were long. Well, she HOWWWWWLLLLLLS piteously all
the way there, the kind of heart-wrenching, soulful, "whyyyyyy are you
torrrrrrrturing the fat little puddddddy tat that only lovvvvvvves youoooo"
howl that turns my knees to water. (Even though I KNOW I am not torturing
her, gd it! lol!) So I stick a finger in through the grated door to comfort
her, and she HOOKS me, and I mean deep. In Raleigh, narrowlaned, rush hour
traffic. She did not mean to, she was just reaching out and upset. She was
upset, I was upset. I screamed and she got more upset.

Yes, there are many reasons why one might want to clip claws. I could have
done without that whole scene and so could Booty.

Jean B.
August 19th 08, 06:28 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:26 PM):
>> Lesley wrote:
>>
>>> Sadly the sort of person who would declaw a cat probably wouldn't then
>>> regard it as cruel to turn the cat out....
>>

>> Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I suppose.
>>

>> Jack
>
> **sigh** Yup, I'm one too. D'ya know what declawing really is? I can
> come over and demonstrate, if you'd like. Won't hurt much or anything,
> I'm only gonna take your fingers off at the first joint.
>
> Although, Lesley, sometimes "the sort of person who would declaw a cat"
> is just ignorant. When I was 18 I had my first cat declawed. I had no
> idea what the procedure entailed, nor did my vet tell me. Wasn't till a
> few years later that I learned what a horrific thing I did to poor Mouse.
>
> jmc

I was MOST grateful that I had done some research before that
question arose when I arranged for Ming to neutered. At that
point, ca 10 years ago, the vet's office seemed to think it was
routine, not bad for the cat, etc. :-(

(MY ignorance was in getting a cat that undoubtedly came from a
kitten mill. I had never even heard that term.)

Thank goodness little Cal, has Phil!

--
Jean B.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 19th 08, 08:27 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> With grandchildren and cats (and, I confess, being the klutz that I am
>> and the slob that my husband it) - we don't much care about the state of
>> our crappy furniture. But as you get older your skin gets thinner and I
>> *bleed* a lot less when I keep claws trimmed (even if they aren't being
>> malicious, accidents can happen when you're playing with them).
>>

> I hear you. Once we made the mistake of taking Boo to the vet when it was
> time to trim, her claws were long. Well, she HOWWWWWLLLLLLS piteously all
> the way there, the kind of heart-wrenching, soulful, "whyyyyyy are you
> torrrrrrrturing the fat little puddddddy tat that only lovvvvvvves
> youoooo" howl that turns my knees to water. (Even though I KNOW I am not
> torturing her, gd it! lol!) So I stick a finger in through the grated door
> to comfort her, and she HOOKS me, and I mean deep. In Raleigh,
> narrowlaned, rush hour traffic. She did not mean to, she was just reaching
> out and upset. She was upset, I was upset. I screamed and she got more
> upset.
>
> Yes, there are many reasons why one might want to clip claws. I could have
> done without that whole scene and so could Booty.

Archer, who was always a *BIG* boy even as a kitten (9 pounds!) tried
jumping up on my lap one day and didn't quite make it all the way because my
arm was in the way. When he started to fall he instinctively grabbed on
with his claws and dug them into my arm. All 9 pounds of him were hanging
from my arm by his claws. Ever since them I have RELIGIOUSLY clipped claws
every 2 weeks or more often as needed!!! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmc
August 19th 08, 11:10 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/19/2008 1:28 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:26 PM):

>>> Oh good, an anti-declaw Nazi. Can never have too many of them, I
>>> suppose.
>>>

>>> Jack
>>
>> **sigh** Yup, I'm one too. D'ya know what declawing really is? I
>> can come over and demonstrate, if you'd like. Won't hurt much or
>> anything, I'm only gonna take your fingers off at the first joint.
>>
>> Although, Lesley, sometimes "the sort of person who would declaw a
>> cat" is just ignorant. When I was 18 I had my first cat declawed. I
>> had no idea what the procedure entailed, nor did my vet tell me.
>> Wasn't till a few years later that I learned what a horrific thing I
>> did to poor Mouse.
>>
>> jmc
>
> I was MOST grateful that I had done some research before that question
> arose when I arranged for Ming to neutered. At that point, ca 10 years
> ago, the vet's office seemed to think it was routine, not bad for the
> cat, etc. :-(
>
> (MY ignorance was in getting a cat that undoubtedly came from a kitten
> mill. I had never even heard that term.)
>
> Thank goodness little Cal, has Phil!

There was no internet when I adopted Mouse. I didn't even have a phone,
or a TV, back then.

jmc

Stampir
August 20th 08, 12:43 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>>
>>> With grandchildren and cats (and, I confess, being the klutz that I am
>>> and the slob that my husband it) - we don't much care about the state of
>>> our crappy furniture. But as you get older your skin gets thinner and I
>>> *bleed* a lot less when I keep claws trimmed (even if they aren't being
>>> malicious, accidents can happen when you're playing with them).
>>>

>> I hear you. Once we made the mistake of taking Boo to the vet when it was
>> time to trim, her claws were long. Well, she HOWWWWWLLLLLLS piteously all
>> the way there, the kind of heart-wrenching, soulful, "whyyyyyy are you
>> torrrrrrrturing the fat little puddddddy tat that only lovvvvvvves
>> youoooo" howl that turns my knees to water. (Even though I KNOW I am not
>> torturing her, gd it! lol!) So I stick a finger in through the grated
>> door to comfort her, and she HOOKS me, and I mean deep. In Raleigh,
>> narrowlaned, rush hour traffic. She did not mean to, she was just
>> reaching out and upset. She was upset, I was upset. I screamed and she
>> got more upset.
>>
>> Yes, there are many reasons why one might want to clip claws. I could
>> have done without that whole scene and so could Booty.
>
> Archer, who was always a *BIG* boy even as a kitten (9 pounds!) tried
> jumping up on my lap one day and didn't quite make it all the way because
> my arm was in the way. When he started to fall he instinctively grabbed
> on with his claws and dug them into my arm. All 9 pounds of him were
> hanging from my arm by his claws. Ever since them I have RELIGIOUSLY
> clipped claws every 2 weeks or more often as needed!!! ;>
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Yikes. That sounds painful. Sometimes Big Red will quickly roll over on his
back
while you're petting him (and ONLY if you have a long sleeve shirt on) then
grab
my arm w/his forepaws/claws, bare his teeth and begin wrassling. No
growling,
just arm wrassling.

Big Red has a 2 x 4 he loves scratching. What I don't understand is how he
doesn't get splinters in his paws from this activity.

Jean B.
August 22nd 08, 12:13 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/19/2008 1:28 PM):
>> jmc wrote:
>>> Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:26 PM):

>>> **sigh** Yup, I'm one too. D'ya know what declawing really is? I
>>> can come over and demonstrate, if you'd like. Won't hurt much or
>>> anything, I'm only gonna take your fingers off at the first joint.
>>>
>>> Although, Lesley, sometimes "the sort of person who would declaw a
>>> cat" is just ignorant. When I was 18 I had my first cat declawed. I
>>> had no idea what the procedure entailed, nor did my vet tell me.
>>> Wasn't till a few years later that I learned what a horrific thing I
>>> did to poor Mouse.
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> I was MOST grateful that I had done some research before that question
>> arose when I arranged for Ming to neutered. At that point, ca 10
>> years ago, the vet's office seemed to think it was routine, not bad
>> for the cat, etc. :-(
>>
>> (MY ignorance was in getting a cat that undoubtedly came from a kitten
>> mill. I had never even heard that term.)
>>
>> Thank goodness little Cal, has Phil!
>>

> There was no internet when I adopted Mouse. I didn't even have a phone,
> or a TV, back then.
>
> jmc

Well then... Still, we manage to feel guilty.

--
Jean B.

jmc
August 24th 08, 12:19 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/21/2008 7:13 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/19/2008 1:28 PM):

>>> I was MOST grateful that I had done some research before that
>>> question arose when I arranged for Ming to neutered. At that point,
>>> ca 10 years ago, the vet's office seemed to think it was routine, not
>>> bad for the cat, etc. :-(
>>>
>>> (MY ignorance was in getting a cat that undoubtedly came from a
>>> kitten mill. I had never even heard that term.)
>>>
>>> Thank goodness little Cal, has Phil!
>>>

>> There was no internet when I adopted Mouse. I didn't even have a
>> phone, or a TV, back then.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Well then... Still, we manage to feel guilty.

That, we most certainly do.

jmc

Phil P.
August 29th 08, 04:38 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > > I'm changing his name to Calidor "Cal".

Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
better.

He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some weight,
he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window sill
when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8 rubs
back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.

Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm

Phil

Stacey
August 29th 08, 06:03 PM
Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354 the
best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

Stacey

In article <[email protected]>, Phil P. says...

>"Phil P." > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]

>Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
>better.
>
>He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some weight,
>he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
>everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window sill
>when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
>from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8 rubs
>back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>
>Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
>

>Phil

cybercat
August 29th 08, 06:39 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> better.
>
> He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> weight,
> he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> sill
> when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
> from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> rubs
> back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>
> Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm

Hahaha!! He looks so happy and contented. I agree that Sly fits him. What a
great face!
> Phil

cybercat
August 29th 08, 06:57 PM
"Stacey" > wrote in message
> Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354
> the
> best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

In 2265 he looks like he just won Best In Show!!

cybercat
August 29th 08, 07:00 PM
"Stacey" > wrote in message
> Oh he is just beautiful! He looks like he's smiling. I like picture 2354
> the
> best. He looks like he is flirting with the camera.

In 2335 he's thinking, "I must be such a gooooood boy ...." :)

Jean B.
August 29th 08, 08:54 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> better.
>
> He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some weight,
> he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window sill
> when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
> from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8 rubs
> back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>
> Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
>

> Phil

He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
but I don't.

--
Jean B.

Phil P.
August 29th 08, 11:22 PM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:
> > "Phil P." > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

> > Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> > better.
> >
> > He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
weight,
> > he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> > everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
sill
> > when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive
down
> > from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
rubs
> > back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
> >
> > Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
> >

> > Phil
> >

> He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
> but I don't.

There're a few links to the first pictures I took of him in my first post in
this thread. In case you deleted it, here are the links:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg

Phil

Phil P.
August 29th 08, 11:27 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Phil P." > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

> > Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> > better.
> >
> > He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> > weight,
> > he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> > everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> > sill
> > when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive
down
> > from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> > rubs
> > back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
> >
> > Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
> >

> Hahaha!! He looks so happy and contented. I agree that Sly fits him. What
> great face!

He's a handsome fella, alright- and he sure likes to talk!

Stacey Weinberger
August 30th 08, 12:11 AM
Wow, he's definitely a different cat under your love and care Phil! He
looks so much on the defensive in these first photos and so open and loving
in the ones you sent today.

Stacey

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Phil P. wrote:
>> > "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]

>> > Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
>> > better.
>> >
>> > He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> weight,
>> > he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more
>> > trusting
>> > everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> sill
>> > when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive
> down
>> > from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> rubs
>> > back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>> >
>> > Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>> >
>> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
>> >

>> > Phil
>> >

>> He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
>> but I don't.
>
> There're a few links to the first pictures I took of him in my first post
> in
> this thread. In case you deleted it, here are the links:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
>
> Phil

cybercat
August 30th 08, 01:43 AM
"Phil P." > wrote
> He's a handsome fella, alright- and he sure likes to talk!

MPEGS!!! :D

Jean B.
September 1st 08, 04:47 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Phil P. wrote:
>>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>> Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
>>> better.
>>>
>>> He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> weight,
>>> he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
>>> everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> sill
>>> when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive
> down
>>> from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> rubs
>>> back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>>>
>>> Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>>>
>>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
>>>

>>> Phil
>>>

>> He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
>> but I don't.
>
> There're a few links to the first pictures I took of him in my first post in
> this thread. In case you deleted it, here are the links:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
>
> Phil

Thanks. Now I can see the difference instead of just remembering.
I am glad Sly is resilient--and has you!

--
Jean B.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 06:15 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> better.
>
> He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> weight,
> he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> sill
> when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive down
> from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> rubs
> back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
>
> Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
>

> Phil

GORgeous cat!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Phil P.
September 6th 08, 12:25 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
m...
> Wow, he's definitely a different cat under your love and care Phil! He
> looks so much on the defensive in these first photos and so open and
loving
> in the ones you sent today.

Its been a real joy watching him regain his 'catness'.

Now, if I could only get him to play! I tried every toy I have from a laser
to just a string. Nothing phased him. He'll go into stalk mode if he sees a
bird or squirrel outside and he chased and stalked a fly until he caught it-
but he just won't play with toys. I think he may have been outside on his
own for a lot longer than I originally thought.

Phil

> Stacey
>
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > weight,
> > sill
> > down
> > rubs

> >> He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
> >> but I don't.
> >
> > There're a few links to the first pictures I took of him in my first
post
> > in
> > this thread. In case you deleted it, here are the links:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
> >
> > Phil

Phil P.
September 6th 08, 12:37 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:

> > weight,
> > sill
> > down
> > rubs

> >> He's looking great! I was hoping I still had an earlier pic here,
> >> but I don't.
> >
> > There're a few links to the first pictures I took of him in my first
post in
> > this thread. In case you deleted it, here are the links:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-03.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-01.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-02.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly-07.jpg
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Thanks. Now I can see the difference instead of just remembering.
> I am glad Sly is resilient--and has you!

He's a great cat! I think I got the better end of the deal.

Phil

Stacey Weinberger
September 6th 08, 05:36 AM
>> Wow, he's definitely a different cat under your love and care Phil! He
>> looks so much on the defensive in these first photos and so open and
> loving
>> in the ones you sent today.
>
> Its been a real joy watching him regain his 'catness'.
>
> Now, if I could only get him to play! I tried every toy I have from a
> laser
> to just a string. Nothing phased him. He'll go into stalk mode if he sees
> bird or squirrel outside and he chased and stalked a fly until he caught
> it-
> but he just won't play with toys. I think he may have been outside on his
> own for a lot longer than I originally thought.
>
> Phil

Have you tried the Cat Dancer? My cats can't resist it.

Stacey

Phil P.
September 18th 08, 02:34 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
m...
> >> Wow, he's definitely a different cat under your love and care Phil! He
> >> looks so much on the defensive in these first photos and so open and
> > loving
> >> in the ones you sent today.
> >
> > Its been a real joy watching him regain his 'catness'.
> >
> > Now, if I could only get him to play! I tried every toy I have from a
> > laser
> > to just a string. Nothing phased him. He'll go into stalk mode if he
sees
> > bird or squirrel outside and he chased and stalked a fly until he caught
> > it-
> > but he just won't play with toys. I think he may have been outside on
his
> > own for a lot longer than I originally thought.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Have you tried the Cat Dancer? My cats can't resist it.

Yup. Thanks. I already tried it. He'll only swat it if I touch him with it-
like he's annoyed with it rather than playing. So I kept bugging him with
it. I stapled another one on the door. Now he'll roll over on his back and
swat it a few times- at least that's something.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2521.htm

I finally got him to play with the Turbo Scratcher and Turbo Mouse by
throwing treats into them. He'll push the ball and mouse around very gently
for a minute but loses interest quickly if I don't throw more treats in
them.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2530.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2531.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2541.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2542.htm

I ordered peek-a-prize box for him.

http://maxshouse.com/Toys/peek-a-prize.jpg

Instead of putting toys in the holes, I put treats. That should keep him
interested and satisfy his hunting and capturing instincts.

Outdoor cats lose most of their kitten characteristics sooner if they've
been raised or lived outdoors for a long time. So, I think its going to take
awhile before he gets his playfulness back. That's ok with me- I have all
the time he needs.

He seems to want to make friends with my other cats- he never hisses or
growls at any of them. But a few of them still hiss and growl when he comes
right up to them. I've been giving him and them treats through the wire in
the door so hopefully they'll associate each other with good things. It
seems to be working with a few of them.

Here's the latest pictures of him:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/index.htm

He's really filled out and looks great.

Phil

Phil P.
September 18th 08, 02:41 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Phil P." > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

> > Its back to Sly by popular demand. Actually, it does seem to fit him
> > better.
> >
> > He's really made remarkable progress. He's not only gained back some
> > weight,
> > he's gained back his dignity. He's also becoming more and more trusting
> > everyday. Instead of jumping up on the shelf in the closet or on window
> > sill
> > when he sees me, he now chirps when he sees me and makes a nose dive
down
> > from the window sill to greet me with a lot of chatter and the figure 8
> > rubs
> > back and forth between my feet! His eyes even seem to be brighter.
> >
> > Here're some new pictures of him. Whatdaya think?
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly_web_album/index.htm
> >

> > Phil
> >

> GORgeous cat!

Thanks. He thinks so, too. I think you're both right.

Phil

Stampir
September 20th 08, 11:18 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Yup. Thanks. I already tried it. He'll only swat it if I touch him with
> it-
> like he's annoyed with it rather than playing. So I kept bugging him with
> it. I stapled another one on the door. Now he'll roll over on his back
> and
> swat it a few times- at least that's something.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2521.htm
>

> I finally got him to play with the Turbo Scratcher and Turbo Mouse by
> throwing treats into them. He'll push the ball and mouse around very
> gently
> for a minute but loses interest quickly if I don't throw more treats in
> them.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2530.htm
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2531.htm
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2541.htm
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2542.htm
>
> I ordered peek-a-prize box for him.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Toys/peek-a-prize.jpg
>
> Instead of putting toys in the holes, I put treats. That should keep him
> interested and satisfy his hunting and capturing instincts.
>
> Outdoor cats lose most of their kitten characteristics sooner if they've
> been raised or lived outdoors for a long time. So, I think its going to
> take
> awhile before he gets his playfulness back. That's ok with me- I have all
> the time he needs.
>
> He seems to want to make friends with my other cats- he never hisses or
> growls at any of them. But a few of them still hiss and growl when he
> comes
> right up to them. I've been giving him and them treats through the wire in
> the door so hopefully they'll associate each other with good things. It
> seems to be working with a few of them.
>
> Here's the latest pictures of him:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/index.htm
>
> He's really filled out and looks great.
>
> Phil

He's a handsome cat alright! He seems pretty playful too. I
wonder how old he is?

You've done a great job rehabilitating him Phil. You're a kind
man!

MLB
September 22nd 08, 12:58 AM
Stampir wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> Yup. Thanks. I already tried it. He'll only swat it if I touch him with
>> it-
>> like he's annoyed with it rather than playing. So I kept bugging him with
>> it. I stapled another one on the door. Now he'll roll over on his back
>> and
>> swat it a few times- at least that's something.
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2521.htm
>>

>> I finally got him to play with the Turbo Scratcher and Turbo Mouse by
>> throwing treats into them. He'll push the ball and mouse around very
>> gently
>> for a minute but loses interest quickly if I don't throw more treats in
>> them.
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2530.htm
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2531.htm
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2541.htm
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2542.htm
>>
>> I ordered peek-a-prize box for him.
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Toys/peek-a-prize.jpg
>>
>> Instead of putting toys in the holes, I put treats. That should keep him
>> interested and satisfy his hunting and capturing instincts.
>>
>> Outdoor cats lose most of their kitten characteristics sooner if they've
>> been raised or lived outdoors for a long time. So, I think its going to
>> take
>> awhile before he gets his playfulness back. That's ok with me- I have all
>> the time he needs.
>>
>> He seems to want to make friends with my other cats- he never hisses or
>> growls at any of them. But a few of them still hiss and growl when he
>> comes
>> right up to them. I've been giving him and them treats through the wire in
>> the door so hopefully they'll associate each other with good things. It
>> seems to be working with a few of them.
>>
>> Here's the latest pictures of him:
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/index.htm
>>
>> He's really filled out and looks great.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> He's a handsome cat alright! He seems pretty playful too. I
> wonder how old he is?
>
> You've done a great job rehabilitating him Phil. You're a kind
> man!

He is gorgeous! MLB

Phil P.
September 23rd 08, 07:44 AM
"Stampir" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >

> > Yup. Thanks. I already tried it. He'll only swat it if I touch him with
> > it-
> > like he's annoyed with it rather than playing. So I kept bugging him
with
> > it. I stapled another one on the door. Now he'll roll over on his back
> > and
> > swat it a few times- at least that's something.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2521.htm
> >

> > I finally got him to play with the Turbo Scratcher and Turbo Mouse by
> > throwing treats into them. He'll push the ball and mouse around very
> > gently
> > for a minute but loses interest quickly if I don't throw more treats in
> > them.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2530.htm
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2531.htm
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2541.htm
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2542.htm
> >
> > I ordered peek-a-prize box for him.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Toys/peek-a-prize.jpg
> >
> > Instead of putting toys in the holes, I put treats. That should keep him
> > interested and satisfy his hunting and capturing instincts.
> >
> > Outdoor cats lose most of their kitten characteristics sooner if they've
> > been raised or lived outdoors for a long time. So, I think its going to
> > take
> > awhile before he gets his playfulness back. That's ok with me- I have
all
> > the time he needs.
> >
> > He seems to want to make friends with my other cats- he never hisses or
> > growls at any of them. But a few of them still hiss and growl when he
> > comes
> > right up to them. I've been giving him and them treats through the wire
in
> > the door so hopefully they'll associate each other with good things. It
> > seems to be working with a few of them.
> >
> > Here's the latest pictures of him:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/index.htm
> >
> > He's really filled out and looks great.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> He's a handsome cat alright! He seems pretty playful too.

He's just starting to become a little playful. He wouldn't play at all for
the first month I had him. It looks like he's feeling more secure every day.
He still scarfs down his food like he doesn't know when he'll eat again. It
isn't all that unusual for cat whose been on his own for awhile to eat like
that, but I'd still like to see him slow down a bit and enjoy his food.

> wonder how old he is?

We think he's about 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

> You've done a great job rehabilitating him Phil. You're a kind
> man!

He been a real joy to work with and its absolutely wonderful to see him
become a happy and trusting cat. He's got a helluva personality and an
opinion on everything! I've become quite attached to the little guy and I
know he trusts me. After all he's been though I don't think putting him up
for adoption is the best thing for him.

Thanks for the kind words.

Phil

cybercat
September 23rd 08, 02:57 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

>After all he's been though I don't think putting him up
> for adoption is the best thing for him.

Yay, Phil! You're my hero.

cybercat
September 23rd 08, 02:58 PM
"Phil P." > wrote :

>> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Aly_Album_5/pages/DSC_2521.htm

I love his face. You can tell that he is one of the ones who was just
waiting for a little love in order to bloom. Like my Gracie.

LesleyM via CatKB.com
September 24th 08, 03:18 PM
Phil P. wrote:

After all he's been though I don't think putting him up
>for adoption is the best thing for him.

Certainly not- as you say he trusts you- I think you're owned by yet another
cat!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

--
Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Phil P.
October 1st 08, 06:23 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> I love his face. You can tell that he is one of the ones who was just
> waiting for a little love in order to bloom. Like my Gracie.

He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg

He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm hanging
out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor. When I
wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
with head bunts!

I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them, but
they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.

Here're some new pictures of him:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm

Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.

Phil

cybercat
October 2nd 08, 12:46 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "cybercat" >
> He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg
>

> He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm hanging
> out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor. When
> wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
> with head bunts!
>
> I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
> they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them, but
> they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.
>
> Here're some new pictures of him:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm
>
> Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.

Oh, Phil, what a success story. I can tell he's a really special boy. I LOVE
his coloring. He seems so happy, too. It is great to see stories like this
when there are so many horror stories around. Bless you.

jmc
October 2nd 08, 02:15 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (10/1/2008 1:23 PM):

>> I love his face. You can tell that he is one of the ones who was just
>> waiting for a little love in order to bloom. Like my Gracie.
>

> He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg
>

> He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm hanging
> out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor. When I
> wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
> with head bunts!
>
> I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
> they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them, but
> they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.
>
> Here're some new pictures of him:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm
>
> Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.
>
> Phil

He looks great, Phil. For some reason, to me, he always looks a bit
peeved, something about his eyes. :)

jmc

Stampir
October 2nd 08, 03:55 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (10/1/2008 1:23 PM):
>>>>>>
>>> I love his face. You can tell that he is one of the ones who was just
>>> waiting for a little love in order to bloom. Like my Gracie.
>>

>> He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg
>>

>> He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm hanging
>> out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor. When
>> wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
>> with head bunts!
>>
>> I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
>> they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them,
>> but
>> they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.
>>
>> Here're some new pictures of him:
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm
>>
>> Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> He looks great, Phil. For some reason, to me, he always looks a bit
> peeved, something about his eyes. :)
>
> jmc

Maybe he doesn't like getting his picture taken?

cybercat
October 2nd 08, 05:24 AM
"jmc" > wrote

> He looks great, Phil. For some reason, to me, he always looks a bit
> peeved, something about his eyes. :)

I don't see that at all. I see intelligence and a little wariness in some
photos and just plain joy in others.

Phil P.
October 3rd 08, 03:52 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "cybercat" >
> > He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg
> >

> > He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm
hanging
> > out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor.
When
> > wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
> > with head bunts!
> >
> > I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
> > they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them,
but
> > they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.
> >
> > Here're some new pictures of him:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm
> >
> > Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.
> >

> Oh, Phil, what a success story. I can tell he's a really special boy. I
LOVE
> his coloring. He seems so happy, too. It is great to see stories like
this
> when there are so many horror stories around. Bless you.

He really is a special boy. Its almost like he didn't know what it was like
to be happy and pampered. I love how he chirps and runs over to me when he
sees me! The other night I got home a little late. He was so excited to see
me that he ran around the room, did the figure-8 thing between by feet and
*ran up the door*! The three tiny deformed claws that regrew aren't long
enough to dig into sisal and hold him up, but he can get them into the
screen! I was amazed!

Check this out: http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_Climbing.jpg

Here's another success story. Christy was adopted 4 days before I trapped
Sly! I was taking her home that Saturday. Is that a coincidence or what? Her
adoptive absolutely loves her and she adores him. It looks like a perfect
match. He's always in the store buying something for her.

Phil

Phil P.
October 3rd 08, 03:53 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (10/1/2008 1:23 PM):
> >>>>>
> >> I love his face. You can tell that he is one of the ones who was just
> >> waiting for a little love in order to bloom. Like my Gracie.
> >

> > He sure has blossomed! Look at the difference:
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After.jpg
> >

> > He's really a sensitive and affectionate cat. Sometimes when I'm
hanging
> > out with him after I get home, I end up falling asleep on the floor.
When I
> > wake up he's cuddled up right next to me. Sometimes he even wakes me up
> > with head bunts!
> >
> > I still have a problem with him and two of my other cats, but I think
> > they're starting to work things out. He just wants to play with them,
but
> > they don't see it that way. He's not aggressive at all.
> >
> > Here're some new pictures of him:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_album_09-30-08/index.htm
> >
> > Doesn't he look great? He really seems happy.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> He looks great, Phil. For some reason, to me, he always looks a bit
> peeved, something about his eyes. :)
>
> jmc

Can you imagine anyone who lives with me *not* being peeved about
something??? lol!

Seriously, after what he's been through and being outside on his own for at
least 3 or 4 months- probably much longer, I think he's doing great- better
than I expected in such a short time. If you saw him in the flesh, you'd
see he really seems happy.