PDA

View Full Version : Any DVD to understand cat sounds, postures and behavior?

AKT
August 4th 08, 02:09 AM
Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

cybercat
August 4th 08, 02:20 AM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
> cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

No, I don't. But those of us who have had cats for a while might have some
ideas.

The one I love the best is the "left front leg stretch, right front leg
stretch, simultaneous yawn with ear flattening and chirpy vocal" welcome. :)

MaryL
August 4th 08, 02:27 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
> cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.

I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen Bailey.
It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed some good
reviews.

MaryL

cybercat
August 4th 08, 03:02 PM
. ..

> "AKT" > wrote in message
>> Are you aware of any good DVD that cat newbies can use to understand
>> cat sounds, postures, behavior, etc? Thanks.
>
> I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
> Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
> Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed
> some good reviews.

This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

AKT
August 4th 08, 03:43 PM
cybercat > wrote:
: > I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
: > Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
: > Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed
: > some good reviews.
: >
: This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.

Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.

cybercat
August 4th 08, 03:57 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
> : > I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
> : > Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
> : > Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I
> noticed
> : > some good reviews.
> : >
> : This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.
>
> Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
> difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
> postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
> appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.

A lot of it is common sense and will emerge as you get to know your cat. :)
When they run by you and say, "mrrrp!" they are greeting you in a playful
way, for example. When you pick them up or put your face in theirs and they
make a whiny little "eeeee" with their mouths closed, you are getting on
their nerves. The wide-eyed, open faced, inquisitive "me OW?" Gracie gives
me when she approaches on the bed (usually made when she jumps up and
repeated when she stands on the top of my pillows and stares down at me)
means "You up? Can I come get some petting?" Because she then plops by my
side and snuggles and stretches and if I get sleepy and stop petting her she
nuzzles my hand.

And the nose-up sniffing she does as she sits on the pillow next to mine,
after I say good morning means, "ahhhhh, there is nothing like the morning
breath of the human I love, except maybe a nice cat butt."

:D

Have fun and keep us posted.

CatNipped[_2_]
August 4th 08, 05:45 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "AKT" > wrote in message
>> cybercat > wrote:
>> : > I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
>> : > Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
>> : > Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I
>> noticed
>> : > some good reviews.
>> : >
>> : This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.
>>
>> Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
>> difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
>> postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
>> appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.
>
> A lot of it is common sense and will emerge as you get to know your cat.
> :) When they run by you and say, "mrrrp!" they are greeting you in a
> playful way, for example. When you pick them up or put your face in theirs
> and they make a whiny little "eeeee" with their mouths closed, you are
> getting on their nerves. The wide-eyed, open faced, inquisitive "me OW?"
> Gracie gives me when she approaches on the bed (usually made when she
> jumps up and repeated when she stands on the top of my pillows and stares
> down at me) means "You up? Can I come get some petting?" Because she then
> plops by my side and snuggles and stretches and if I get sleepy and stop
> petting her she nuzzles my hand.
>
> And the nose-up sniffing she does as she sits on the pillow next to mine,
> after I say good morning means, "ahhhhh, there is nothing like the morning
> breath of the human I love, except maybe a nice cat butt."
>
> :D
>
> Have fun and keep us posted.

But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
the area *immediately*! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
August 4th 08, 07:56 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
> the area *immediately*! ;>

Yep. The hard-swishing tail, too.

William E. Graham
August 4th 08, 10:11 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

> But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
> the area *immediately*! ;>

Too late! - I got scratched......

Phil P.
August 4th 08, 10:23 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
> : > I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
> : > Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen
> : > Bailey. It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I
noticed
> : > some good reviews.
> : >
> : This reminds me, there is also "Cat Watching" by Desmond Morris.
>
> Thanks. Of course a book will do no harm, but at least I find it
> difficult to understand from written description which sounds,
> postures, and walking style are meant. A movie (dvd or VHS) seems more
> appropriate medium. Let's see what turns up.

A good feline behavior text has illustrations as well as photographs to
clarify the text.

Understanding Cat Behavior by Roger Tabor
Although not really a behavior text is still a good warm-up- a "Feline
Behavior 101". About $15.00

Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians by Bonnie Beaver

is much more detailed and thorough and has a lot more illustrations, and
photographs of *all* aspects of feline behavior. About $50.00- but well
worth it. I have it and I highly recommend it.

The "bible" of feline behavior is probably "The Domestic Cat: The Biology of
its Behavior" by Turner and Bateson- the *first* edition (1988). The second
edition (2000) isn't as thorough or detailed, or illustrated. I have both-
the second edition is more of a continuation of the first ed. The second
edition has a lot more information on animal welfare issues (almost half the
book)- which is great if you're involved in animal welfare like I am. But if
you want to learn *all* about *all* aspects of feline behavior- the first
edition is the book you want. It'll probably be hard to find, but its
definitely worth the effort.

There are many books on feline behavior- just stay away from books written
by "writers" who just sell books.

Phil

AKT
August 5th 08, 08:10 AM

:
: Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians by Bonnie Beaver
:
: is much more detailed and thorough and has a lot more illustrations, and
: photographs of *all* aspects of feline behavior. About $50.00- but well
: worth it. I have it and I highly recommend it.
:
: The "bible" of feline behavior is probably "The Domestic Cat: The Biology of
: its Behavior" by Turner and Bateson- the *first* edition (1988)...

Thanks. If I get the last one, would I still need the first two? Any
DVD's to illustrate visual/sound issues that might be better watched
that read about?

Phil P.
August 5th 08, 09:10 AM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote:
>
> : Understanding Cat Behavior by Roger Tabor
> : Although not really a behavior text is still a good warm-up- a "Feline
> : Behavior 101". About $15.00
> :
> : Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians by Bonnie Beaver
> :
> : is much more detailed and thorough and has a lot more illustrations, and
> : photographs of *all* aspects of feline behavior. About $50.00- but well
> : worth it. I have it and I highly recommend it.
> :
> : The "bible" of feline behavior is probably "The Domestic Cat: The
Biology of
> : its Behavior" by Turner and Bateson- the *first* edition (1988)...
>
> Thanks. If I get the last one, would I still need the first two?

When it comes to understanding feline behavior- we need all the help we can
get! Turner and Bateson's first edition is pretty hard to find. Start with
Roger Tabor - buy it on Amazon.com. If you don't like it, send it back and
buy #2.

Any
> DVD's to illustrate visual/sound issues that might be better watched
> that read about?

Not that I know of. You can learn enough from text with illustrations and
photographs- sounds aren't as important. Cats speak more with their posture
than with their voice.

Stan Brown
August 6th 08, 03:33 AM
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:27:59 -0500 from MaryL -
OUT-THE-LITTER>:
> I don't know of any DVDs, but there is a book called "What Is My Cat
> Thinking? TheEssential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior," by Gwen Bailey.
> It's available on amazon.com. I have not read it, but I noticed some good
> reviews.

Thanks for the recommendation! I was going to post a query asking for
book recommendations. Milo the Express Cat's meow for "Pick me up!"
sounds exactly like his meow for "Hello, don't pick me up". :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Stan Brown
August 6th 08, 03:35 AM
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:56:52 -0400 from cybercat >:

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
> > But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail, evacuate
> > the area *immediately*! ;>
>
> Yep. The hard-swishing tail, too.

What do you mean by the "hard-swishing tail"? Milo's tail swishes
back and forth when I pet him, while he's all relaxed and purring
quite loud.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

cybercat
August 6th 08, 04:25 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:56:52 -0400 from cybercat >:
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> > But whatever you do, if you see laid-back ears and a puffy tail,
>> > evacuate
>> > the area *immediately*! ;>
>>
>> Yep. The hard-swishing tail, too.
>
> What do you mean by the "hard-swishing tail"? Milo's tail swishes
> back and forth when I pet him, while he's all relaxed and purring
> quite loud.

With my girls, it swishes gently when they are contented, but fast
"switching" means annoyance.

AKT
August 7th 08, 01:05 AM
Phil P. > wrote:

: Turner and Bateson's first edition is pretty hard to find.

Thanks to the Internet it is possible to locate a few used copies. I
was able to order a copy from Canada. Should have it in a few weeks.
Thanks for the recommendation!

AKT
August 7th 08, 01:09 AM
Stan Brown > wrote:

: Milo the Express Cat's meow for "Pick me up!" sounds exactly
: like his meow for "Hello, don't pick me up". :-)

I feel the same way. Experts here think everyone will notice the
difference between "meow" with one ear tipped and "meeow" with the
other one tipped. :) I am just not in the same class yet! Which is why
I am still looking for a dvd with commentary.

MaryL
August 7th 08, 01:33 AM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Stan Brown > wrote:
>
> : Milo the Express Cat's meow for "Pick me up!" sounds exactly
> : like his meow for "Hello, don't pick me up". :-)
>
> I feel the same way. Experts here think everyone will notice the
> difference between "meow" with one ear tipped and "meeow" with the
> other one tipped. :) I am just not in the same class yet! Which is why
> I am still looking for a dvd with commentary.

One problem with what you are saying is that cats are individuals with
unique personalities, just like people. It is not as simple as listening to
bird call to identify a particular species (or mood, in the case of a cat).
There are certain signs to watch for -- such as the rapidly swishing tail
that Cybercat described or the laid-backears and puffed-up tail that CN
described -- and certain sounds that a cat makes can sound either contented
or angry, but I'm not at all sure that you would learn any more from a DVD
than from a good book. Possibly less, since the book will have pictures and
descriptions that you can bookmark and quickly find later for reference.

MaryL

Phil P.
August 7th 08, 03:37 AM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote:
>
> : Turner and Bateson's first edition is pretty hard to find.
>
> Thanks to the Internet it is possible to locate a few used copies. I
> was able to order a copy from Canada. Should have it in a few weeks.
> Thanks for the recommendation!

Are you sure they're the first edition? If so, let me know where you found
them. I want to buy a few copies for my friends so they stop asking to
borrow mine.

Phil

AKT
August 7th 08, 04:24 AM
Phil P. > wrote:

: Are you sure they're the first edition? If so, let me know where you found
: them. I want to buy a few copies for my friends so they stop asking to
: borrow mine.

Reasonably sure. The shop I ordered from had just one copy, but others
have them. I think these URL's are for the 1st edition:

<http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521354471/ref=ed_o
e_h> (hardcover)

<http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521357276/ref=ed_o
e_p> (softcover)

The edition (or publication date) is identified under Product Details.

Another good source for book search is <http://Bookfinder.com> .

These are used books, so I'd pay attention to the description of the
condition. "Good" can be questionable, but "very good", "like new" etc
are reliable from professional sellers. :)

Phil P.
August 7th 08, 05:31 AM
"AKT" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote:
>
> : Are you sure they're the first edition? If so, let me know where you
found
> : them. I want to buy a few copies for my friends so they stop asking to
> : borrow mine.
>
> Reasonably sure. The shop I ordered from had just one copy, but others
> have them. I think these URL's are for the 1st edition:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521354471/ref=ed_o
> e_h> (hardcover)
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521357276/ref=ed_o
> e_p> (softcover)
>
> The edition (or publication date) is identified under Product Details.
>
> Another good source for book search is <http://Bookfinder.com> .
>
> These are used books, so I'd pay attention to the description of the
> condition. "Good" can be questionable, but "very good", "like new" etc
> are reliable from professional sellers. :)

Wow! It looks too good to be true so I emailed a few of the sellers for
confirmation.

If its really the 1st ed. I think you'll really enjoy reading it.

Thanks for the refs!

Phil

Stan Brown
August 7th 08, 12:53 PM
Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:09:03 -0500 from AKT >:
> Stan Brown > wrote:
>
> : Milo the Express Cat's meow for "Pick me up!" sounds exactly
> : like his meow for "Hello, don't pick me up". :-)
>
> I feel the same way. Experts here think everyone will notice the
> difference between "meow" with one ear tipped and "meeow" with the
> other one tipped. :) I am just not in the same class yet! Which is why
> I am still looking for a dvd with commentary.

Sometimes he'll raise his forefeet off the ground, and that's usually
a sign he wants to be picked up. Other times he doesn't do it, and if
I pick him up it's a crapshoot whether he'll start purring loudly and
snuggle, or squirm about in a clear request to "put me down!"

I'm going to get a couple of the books that have been mentioned.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

AKT
August 28th 08, 08:37 PM
: Phil P. > wrote:
:
: : Are you sure they're the first edition? If so, let me know where you found
: : them. I want to buy a few copies for my friends so they stop asking to
: : borrow mine.
:
: Reasonably sure. The shop I ordered from had just one copy, but others
: have them. I think these URL's are for the 1st edition:
:
: <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521354471/ref=ed_o
: e_h> (hardcover)
:
: <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521357276/ref=ed_o
: e_p> (softcover)
:
: The edition (or publication date) is identified under Product Details.

Hi Phil and everyone, just wanted to let you know that my copy arrived
today and it is indeed the first edition. Thank you for the reference.
Now I merely have to read and understand it!

Phil P.
August 29th 08, 11:09 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message

> : Phil P. > wrote:
> :
> : : Are you sure they're the first edition? If so, let me know where you
found
> : : them. I want to buy a few copies for my friends so they stop asking to
> : : borrow mine.
> :
> : Reasonably sure. The shop I ordered from had just one copy, but others
> : have them. I think these URL's are for the 1st edition:
> :
> : <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521354471/ref=ed_o
> : e_h> (hardcover)
> :
> : <http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Cat-Dennis-Turner/dp/0521357276/ref=ed_o
> : e_p> (softcover)
> :
> : The edition (or publication date) is identified under Product Details.
>
> Hi Phil and everyone, just wanted to let you know that my copy arrived
> today and it is indeed the first edition. Thank you for the reference.
> Now I merely have to read and understand it!

You'll be amazed how often you'll refer to it over the years.

I hope you enjoy it.

Phil