PDA

View Full Version : kitten not eating


Nadia N.
August 5th 08, 04:12 PM
My 5 month old kitten Sweety is suddenly refusing her dry kitten food,
as of this morning. She was eating it fine last night, but this morning
she actually pulls away when I bring the dish with dry food next to her,
or when I put a few kibbles on my hand and hold them up to her nose/mouth.

This morning she did eat some canned chicken cat food that I give my
older cat (real chunks of chicken in broth). Then around noon I tried
mixing the dry food with more chicken, and she wouldn't eat it. I had to
pick up the chicken pieces out of the dry food and hand-feed them to
her. When I tried to give her more canned food in the early afternoon
she turned up her nose at it.

She seems fine otherwise, she's drinking water, she's playful and she
doesn't have a fever. She is changing her baby teeth right now - she's
lost the lower fangs and she's got 4 upper fangs at the moment. Could
this be the reason that she won't eat? Also, it's very hot here (we're
in Spain and it's 34 degrees Celsius outside), so maybe that's why she
refused the chicken in the afternoon? She's usually napping on the cool
floor tiles between noon and 5pm, during the worst of the heat. I've had
her for a bit over a month and she's never seemed affected by the heat
until now, though...

Has anyone else experienced something similar with kittens of that age?
I suppose I'm overly paranoid when it comes to any change in the routine
behaviour of my cats, but I can't help it - I worry.

I will keep trying to tempt her with more chicken, and if she continues
to refuse all food I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. As
she is still drinking and she did eat some chicken earlier today I don't
think it's an emergency, so won't be rushing her to the vet today. But I
would really like to hear people's opinions on what might be causing
this sudden lack of appetite in a kitten that usually *really* likes her
food.

Nadia (and Kotyo and little Sweety)
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Rene S.
August 5th 08, 04:57 PM
If she likes the canned food, can you give her that instead? Long
term, wet food is better for cats anyway. (Here's an article you
should read: http://www.catinfo.org )

It's possible the weather is affecting her appetite. Even with air
conditioning, during really humid times, my cats won't eat as much.
Keep a close eye on her and make sure she keeps eating something. If
she doesn't perk up soon, give your vet a call, just to be on the safe
side.

Nadia N.
August 5th 08, 05:45 PM
Rene S. wrote:
> If she likes the canned food, can you give her that instead? Long
> term, wet food is better for cats anyway. (Here's an article you
> should read: http://www.catinfo.org )
>
> It's possible the weather is affecting her appetite. Even with air
> conditioning, during really humid times, my cats won't eat as much.
> Keep a close eye on her and make sure she keeps eating something. If
> she doesn't perk up soon, give your vet a call, just to be on the safe
> side.

Thanks for the reply Rene :-)

I'm happy to report that she just ate some more of the canned food. So
things are not as scary as I thought - I'm very very relieved. Still,
she's not eating nearly as much as she usually does during the day. I am
keeping a very close eye on her.

I will be switching her to canned-only food when she grows up a bit more
(my older cat is already eating canned only). The problem is that I
can't find good quality canned kitten food in Spain. There are all kinds
of dry, and absolutely no canned. At least not in all the pet stores
I've been able to find :-( The vets here are still recommending a dry
food only diet for cats, and I guess the stores stock whatever people
buy, which is 99% dry food.

So at the moment she is eating Royal Canin dry kitten food (or at least
she was until this morning). The canned food she's been eating today is
for adult cats, not kittens, so I don't want her to eat that long-term.
But at the moment I'm just happy she's eating anything at all :-)

I suppose if she insists on refusing dry kitten food, I'll have to see
if I can order some canned kitten food online...

Nadia (and Kotyo and little Sweety)

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Rene S.
August 5th 08, 07:13 PM
> I will be switching her to canned-only food when she grows up a bit more
> (my older cat is already eating canned only). The problem is that I
> can't find good quality canned kitten food in Spain. There are all kinds
> of dry, and absolutely no canned. At least not in all the pet stores
> I've been able to find :-( The vets here are still recommending a dry
> food only diet for cats, and I guess the stores stock whatever people
> buy, which is 99% dry food.

I'm glad she's eating more. It's too bad that the selection of canned
is so limited, but, like you said, the internet is a good resource.

AKT
August 7th 08, 05:02 AM
Nadia N. > wrote:

: My 5 month old kitten Sweety is suddenly refusing her dry kitten food,
: as of this morning...This morning she did eat some canned chicken cat
: food that I give my older cat (real chunks of chicken in broth)...

Looks like either she doesn't like dry, or she is feeling competitive
towards the older cat and wants to eat the same thing.

Cats are well known to be finicky eaters, which is different from "not
eating".

In a way, you are lucky because canned is better for her health. I
would consider the news more challenging if she loved dry and hated
canned. I feed mine almost all canned, with dry as occasional treat, in
treat-like quantity.

Nadia N.
August 8th 08, 03:02 PM
AKT wrote:
> Nadia N. > wrote:
>
> : My 5 month old kitten Sweety is suddenly refusing her dry kitten food,
> : as of this morning...This morning she did eat some canned chicken cat
> : food that I give my older cat (real chunks of chicken in broth)...
>
> Looks like either she doesn't like dry, or she is feeling competitive
> towards the older cat and wants to eat the same thing.
>
> Cats are well known to be finicky eaters, which is different from "not
> eating".
>
> In a way, you are lucky because canned is better for her health. I
> would consider the news more challenging if she loved dry and hated
> canned. I feed mine almost all canned, with dry as occasional treat, in
> treat-like quantity.

She's back to eating her dry food. I guess she stopped because her teeth
were hurting her. She lost 4 or 5 of her baby teeth in the last couple
of days. And she's still got a few more to go, poor baby.

I'm lucky because she's usually got a really, *really* good appetite.
Finicky she is not. She'll eat dry food, she'll eat the older cat's
canned food, she'll try to sneak human food from the table... That's why
I got so scared when she just stopped eating the dry the other day - it
was very unusual for her.

I've managed to find her some kitten food from the same brand as my
other cat is eating, and she's devouring one 90 gram can per day, but
she still begs for dry also. I hope she's not overeating... And as soon
as she's old enough to stop eating kitten food, I'm switching her to all
canned food, same as my other cat is eating. I just hope I am still
sane by the time she actually grows up. It's been 7 years since I last
had a kitten and I'd forgotten how crazy they are and all the trouble
they get into :-)

Nadia (and Kotyo and little Sweety)


--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

cybercat
August 8th 08, 03:18 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote

> I've managed to find her some kitten food from the same brand as my other
> cat is eating, and she's devouring one 90 gram can per day

You're much, much better off keeping her on canned, and so is she.

AKT
August 8th 08, 03:40 PM
Nadia N. > wrote:

: She's back to eating her dry food. I guess she stopped because her teeth
: were hurting her. She lost 4 or 5 of her baby teeth in the last couple
: of days. And she's still got a few more to go, poor baby.
:
: I've managed to find her some kitten food from the same brand as my
: other cat is eating, and she's devouring one 90 gram can per day, but
: she still begs for dry also. I hope she's not overeating... And as soon
: as she's old enough to stop eating kitten food, I'm switching her to all
: canned food, same as my other cat is eating...

If she'd eat both but just craves dry, you should start 1/2 canned and
1/2 dry now. Slowly work to mostly canned, using dry as treats. If her
teeth are hurting, then soft food makes sense on that count too.