PDA

View Full Version : Whisker color question

Robotech_Master
August 6th 08, 12:21 AM
My Bengal cat Benjamin just lost a whisker, and I'm looking it
it. It's funny. Most of it is white, but the centimeter or so
nearest the root is dark brown--but the very root seems to be white.

What causes that?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

---MIKE---
August 6th 08, 01:22 PM
I collect the discarded whiskers (I must have over 100 in the "whisker"
jar). Amber (orange) has all white whiskers. Tiger's are white with a
black root.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Jean B.
August 6th 08, 04:29 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I collect the discarded whiskers (I must have over 100 in the "whisker"
> jar). Amber (orange) has all white whiskers. Tiger's are white with a
> black root.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a little bag that I keep
whiskers in. I have very few, but those I find are treasures.

--
Jean B.

---MIKE---
August 6th 08, 06:03 PM
Jean B. wrote:

>Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a
> little bag that I keep whiskers in. I have
> very few, but those I find are treasures.

I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. It's surprising how fast these
things add up!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

LauraM[_2_]
August 6th 08, 08:20 PM
On Aug 6, 10:03*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
> >Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a
> > little bag that I keep whiskers in. I have
> > very few, but those I find are treasures.
>
> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. *It's surprising how fast these
> things add up!
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

This is just too funny! I don't collect my cat's whiskers, but I've
studied them thoroughly. :) I've noticed he has mostly white ones,
but he also has some all-black ones as well! He's an orange maine
coon. Also, some of his whiskers curl up at the ends. In case you'd
like to check his whiskers out intimately, here's the quickee website
I put together of my cherished beast, Hobbes. Click on the first one
for a close-up of his face where you can see what I mean about his
whiskers.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP

Jean B.
August 6th 08, 10:41 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a
>> little bag that I keep whiskers in. I have
>> very few, but those I find are treasures.
>
> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. It's surprising how fast these
> things add up!

Oh, I have those too--but I did stop collecting them since they
are more common findings!

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 6th 08, 10:43 PM
LauraM wrote:
> On Aug 6, 10:03 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a
>>> little bag that I keep whiskers in. I have
>>> very few, but those I find are treasures.
>> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. It's surprising how fast these
>> things add up!
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

> This is just too funny! I don't collect my cat's whiskers, but I've
> studied them thoroughly. :) I've noticed he has mostly white ones,
> but he also has some all-black ones as well! He's an orange maine
> coon. Also, some of his whiskers curl up at the ends. In case you'd
> like to check his whiskers out intimately, here's the quickee website
> I put together of my cherished beast, Hobbes. Click on the first one
> for a close-up of his face where you can see what I mean about his
> whiskers.
>
> http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP

Heh. Am I going to have to go scrutinize the faces here for
interesting variations?

--
Jean B.

LauraM[_2_]
August 6th 08, 11:09 PM
On Aug 6, 2:43*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> LauraM wrote:
> >> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. *It's surprising how fast these
> >> things add up!
>
> >> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')
>
> > This is just too funny! *I don't collect my cat's whiskers, but I've
> > studied them thoroughly. *:) *I've noticed he has mostly white ones,
> > but he also has some all-black ones as well! *He's an orange maine
> > coon. *Also, some of his whiskers curl up at the ends. *In case you'd
> > like to check his whiskers out intimately, here's the quickee website
> > I put together of my cherished beast, Hobbes. *Click on the first one
> > for a close-up of his face where you can see what I mean about his
> > whiskers.
>
> >http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP
>
> Heh. *Am I going to have to go scrutinize the faces here for
> interesting variations?
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

Scrutinize away! Open your eyes slowly once you see my boy's
beautiful face. I wouldn't want you shocked to death over his
handsomeness. :)

Pi2nya AKA Sweetee
August 8th 08, 12:34 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> ---MIKE--- wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> Oh! You mean I am not crazy? I have a
>>> little bag that I keep whiskers in. I have
>>> very few, but those I find are treasures.
>>
>> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. It's surprising how fast
>> these
>> things add up!
>>

> Oh, I have those too--but I did stop collecting them since they are
> more common findings!
>
> --
> Jean B.

I save Pit2nya's all year, and then enclose them in Kissamouse cards.

Sylvia M, (I've been lurking here a while)

LauraM[_2_]
August 8th 08, 12:58 AM
On Aug 6, 2:43*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> LauraM wrote:
> >> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. *It's surprising how fast these
> >> things add up!
>
> >> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')
>
> > This is just too funny! *I don't collect my cat's whiskers, but I've
> > studied them thoroughly. *:) *I've noticed he has mostly white ones,
> > but he also has some all-black ones as well! *He's an orange maine
> > coon. *Also, some of his whiskers curl up at the ends. *In case you'd
> > like to check his whiskers out intimately, here's the quickee website
> > I put together of my cherished beast, Hobbes. *Click on the first one
> > for a close-up of his face where you can see what I mean about his
> > whiskers.
>
> >http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP
>
> Heh. *Am I going to have to go scrutinize the faces here for
> interesting variations?
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

LOL. We're really sick ya' know!

dejablues[_4_]
August 8th 08, 03:12 AM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> My Bengal cat Benjamin just lost a whisker, and I'm looking it
> it. It's funny. Most of it is white, but the centimeter or so
> nearest the root is dark brown--but the very root seems to be white.
>
> What causes that?

Whiskers are part of the cat's hair coat, like the hair on your head
resembles the hair on your eyebrows
Bengals, like tabbies, have ticked fur. The fur on their bodies is a
different color at the root, middle, and tip, so whiskers are multicolored
as well.
This explains it better than I can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_coat_genetics#Genes_involved_in_fur_pattern_an d_shading

LauraM[_2_]
August 8th 08, 03:46 AM
On Aug 7, 7:12*pm, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
>
> g...
>
> > My Bengal cat Benjamin just lost a whisker, and I'm looking it
> > it. *It's funny. *Most of it is white, but the centimeter or so
> > nearest the root is dark brown--but the very root seems to be white.
>
> > What causes that?
>
> Whiskers are part of the cat's hair coat, like the hair on your head
> resembles the hair on your eyebrows
> Bengals, like tabbies, have ticked fur. The fur on their bodies is a
> different color at the root, middle, and tip, so whiskers are multicolored
> as well.
> This explains it better than I can:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_coat_genetics#Genes_involved_in_fur_...

I love all this whisker talk. :)

Robotech_Master
August 8th 08, 04:56 AM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:12:43 -0400, dejablues > wrote:

> Bengals, like tabbies, have ticked fur. The fur on their bodies is a
> different color at the root, middle, and tip, so whiskers are multicolored
> as well.

Thanks, that was an interesting link.

But I'm just wondering, how does the hair "know" to change color like
that? Since the hairs are always growing out, and hair is dead tissue
except for the root, how do they change color when they get to be a
certain length?

Probably something I'll never know. Oh well.
--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

dejablues[_4_]
August 8th 08, 05:18 AM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:12:43 -0400, dejablues >
> wrote:
>
>> Bengals, like tabbies, have ticked fur. The fur on their bodies is a
>> different color at the root, middle, and tip, so whiskers are
>> multicolored
>> as well.
>
> Thanks, that was an interesting link.
>
> But I'm just wondering, how does the hair "know" to change color like
> that? Since the hairs are always growing out, and hair is dead tissue
> except for the root, how do they change color when they get to be a
> certain length?
>
> Probably something I'll never know. Oh well.

The agouti gene.
This may help.
http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib162/Week3a.htm
An explanation of banded hairs:
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/873.html

Jean B.
August 8th 08, 05:31 PM
LauraM wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:43 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> LauraM wrote:
>>> This is just too funny! I don't collect my cat's whiskers, but I've
>>> studied them thoroughly. :) I've noticed he has mostly white ones,
>>> but he also has some all-black ones as well! He's an orange maine
>>> coon. Also, some of his whiskers curl up at the ends. In case you'd
>>> like to check his whiskers out intimately, here's the quickee website
>>> I put together of my cherished beast, Hobbes. Click on the first one
>>> for a close-up of his face where you can see what I mean about his
>>> whiskers.
>>> http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564874232vMBnPP
>> Heh. Am I going to have to go scrutinize the faces here for
>> interesting variations?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

> Scrutinize away! Open your eyes slowly once you see my boy's
> beautiful face. I wouldn't want you shocked to death over his
> handsomeness. :)

LOL! Don't we all feel that way about our babies?

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 8th 08, 05:31 PM
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> ---MIKE--- wrote:

>>> I also have a jar full of claw sheathes. It's surprising how fast these
>>> things add up!
>>>

>> Oh, I have those too--but I did stop collecting them since they are
>> more common findings!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> I save Pit2nya's all year, and then enclose them in Kissamouse cards.
>
> Sylvia M, (I've been lurking here a while)

LOL! I hope those are appreciated!

--
Jean B.