PDA

View Full Version : question about antibiotic (Enrofloxacin-Baytril) dosage

Nadia N.
August 12th 08, 09:26 PM
Well, it figures that since last week I had a scare with the new kitten,
this week it was my older cat's turn. He had a cystitis flare-up today.
It was very scary. In addition to the usual running to the litterbox
every 10 minutes, straining, leaving blood in the box, he was also
panting, hissing and growling in pain, which he has never done before.

So off to the vet we went. He got a shot for the pain, a shot of
antibiotics and also an anti-inflammatory. The vet also gave us medicine
to give him at home for the next few days. Buprex (Buprenorphine) for
the pain, Tolfedine for inflammation and Enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have been looking up information about these drugs since we got home,
and I now have some doubts about the dosage the vet prescribed for the
antibiotic (Enrofloxacin). He prescribed half a 50mg pill every 12 hours
for 7-10 days. My cat weighs 6.2 kg, and I read online that the
manufacturer's (Bayer) recommended dosage for Baytril for cats is 5mg
per kg per 24 hrs
(http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/enrofloxacin-baytril/page1.aspx).
The dosage the vet has prescribed for my Kotyo is actually 8mg per kg. I
read that higher doses of this drug could lead to blindness in cats
(http://www.drugs.com/vet/baytril-enrofloxacin-antibacterial-tablets.html).

So should I follow the dosage prescribed by the vet? If I follow the
dosage recommended by the manufacturer, I should be giving my cat 31mg
per day, not 50mg. I could give him 1/3 of a 50mg pill every 12 hours
instead of the 1/2 pill prescribed by the vet. It should be ok to do
that, shouldn't it?

Nadia (and Kotyo and little Sweety)
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Riannon via CatKB.com
August 14th 08, 02:29 AM
Nadia N. wrote:
>the pain, Tolfedine for inflammation and Enrofloxacin (Baytril).
>I have been looking up information about these drugs since we got home,
>and I now have some doubts about the dosage the vet prescribed for the
>antibiotic (Enrofloxacin). He prescribed half a 50mg pill every 12 hours
>for 7-10 days. My cat weighs 6.2 kg, and I read online that the
>manufacturer's (Bayer) recommended dosage for Baytril for cats is 5mg
>per kg per 24 hrs
>(http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/enrofloxacin-baytril/page1.aspx).
>The dosage the vet has prescribed for my Kotyo is actually 8mg per kg. I
>read that higher doses of this drug could lead to blindness in cats
>So should I follow the dosage prescribed by the vet? If I follow the

If it were me, I would definitely follow the manufacturer's recommendation of
5 mg per kg, not your vet's recommendation. Vets can make mistakes, believe
me.

http://felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#baytril

Riannon

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 01:21 PM
Riannon via CatKB.com wrote:
> Nadia N. wrote:
>> the pain, Tolfedine for inflammation and Enrofloxacin (Baytril).
>> I have been looking up information about these drugs since we got home,
>> and I now have some doubts about the dosage the vet prescribed for the
>> antibiotic (Enrofloxacin). He prescribed half a 50mg pill every 12 hours
>> for 7-10 days. My cat weighs 6.2 kg, and I read online that the
>> manufacturer's (Bayer) recommended dosage for Baytril for cats is 5mg
>> per kg per 24 hrs
>> (http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/enrofloxacin-baytril/page1.aspx).
>> The dosage the vet has prescribed for my Kotyo is actually 8mg per kg. I
>> read that higher doses of this drug could lead to blindness in cats
>> So should I follow the dosage prescribed by the vet? If I follow the
>
> If it were me, I would definitely follow the manufacturer's recommendation of
> 5 mg per kg, not your vet's recommendation. Vets can make mistakes, believe
> me.
>
> http://felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#baytril
>

> Riannon

Thanks for the link. The more information I can get about this, the better.

I have started giving him the manufacturer recommended dose. Or at least
I tried. The first dose mostly dissolved in the food I tried to hide it
in, which he barely touched. Of the second dose 12 hrs later, I managed
to get half of it into him only :-(

He's lost his appetite since I gave him the first dose of the Tolfedine
yesterday afternoon, so it's really hard to give him the pills hidden
inside food, as I've always done when I've needed to medicate him
before. He's very strong and fights me when I try to stick the pills in
his mouth - that's how he only got half the 2nd dose of the Baytril -
the other half of the pill crumbled while I was fighting to get it into
him. I've enlisted someone to help hold him, so hopefully the next time
I'll be able to get the whole dose into him...

But what's worrying me now is that, since he's lost his appetite, he's
not drinking either. He always gets water added to his food so that he
will urinate more often (otherwise he'll hold it in for 24 hrs at a
time). He always devours the food and drinks up all the water added to
it. I gave him the first dose of Tolfedine yesterday afternoon, as well
as some of the Baytril (but very little, most of it ended up dissolved
in the food and he wouldn't eat it). He ate fine that afternoon and
later that night, but sometime this morning he threw up - with lots of
undigested food from his dinner - and he has been eating very little
today. I had to hand-feed him some tuna in jelly (cat food, not human
food) with a bit of water added, and later I managed to get him to eat a
few slivers of canned chicken, but not to drink again. I need him to
drink lots so he'll feel the need to urinate again, but if he won't eat,
he doesn't drink either... I made him some chicken broth (no salt or
anything else added), but he wouldn't drink it either. He just licked my
finger when I dipped it in the broth and put it under his nose, and he
sniffed at the broth, and that's all. So it's back to the vet again I
guess - I'm just waiting until they open in 3 hours...

This not drinking is very worrying. He needs to drink a lot so he'll get
rid of the stuff that's in the pills he's taking. Not to mention that it
looks like the Baytril can actually cause the formation of enrofloxacin
crystals in the bladder, which is the last thing a kitty with cystitis
needs. So far it's been about 12 hours or so since he last peed. It's
about time for him to go again, but he's not showing any signs of
wanting to go. I'll give him water with a syringe if I have to, but it
would be pretty stressful for him, so I'd rather get his appetite
stimulated so he'll take the water with his food, as usual.

Sorry for the novel-length post. I guess I just need to vent all my
worries somewhere, and this group seems like the right place for it :-)

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

CatNipped[_2_]
August 14th 08, 02:00 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> [...]
> all. So it's back to the vet again I guess - I'm just waiting until they
> open in 3 hours...
>
> This not drinking is very worrying. He needs to drink a lot so he'll get
> rid of the stuff that's in the pills he's taking. Not to mention that it
> looks like the Baytril can actually cause the formation of enrofloxacin
> crystals in the bladder, which is the last thing a kitty with cystitis
> needs. So far it's been about 12 hours or so since he last peed. It's
> about time for him to go again, but he's not showing any signs of wanting
> to go. I'll give him water with a syringe if I have to, but it would be
> pretty stressful for him, so I'd rather get his appetite stimulated so
> he'll take the water with his food, as usual.
>
> Sorry for the novel-length post. I guess I just need to vent all my
> worries somewhere, and this group seems like the right place for it :-)

Yeah, I think he needs to see a vet again - there's just too much going on
there for anyone on here to be able to help.

I do have one suggestion, though, for pilling a cat. Coat the pill
(especially tablets) heavily with butter - this not only hides the taste of
the pill, but it will also help it slide down his throat. As soon as the
pill is down, follow it up with several syringes of water to make sure it's
gone all the way down (if not, pills or portions of pill can get caught in
the throat lining and cause strictures).

For pilling a cat, I kneel down on the floor then sit in my heels. I put
the cat, backwards, in the "V" I make with my legs so that his butt is
pushed firmly against my groin. I cup my left had under his chin both
pulling his head up (nose pointed at the ceiling) and prying his mouth open
with the thumb and forefinger of that hand. I put the pill on my right
index finger (with butter it should stick there for a second or two) and
insert is as far towards the back of his throat as I can get. I immediately
close his mouth with my left hand, still holding his head up and rubbing his
neck and I lean over and blow gently into his nose (this triggers a
swallowing response). Then, as mentioned above, I put several syringes of
water in his cheek to make sure the pill goes all the way down.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 03:07 PM
CatNipped wrote:

>> This not drinking is very worrying. He needs to drink a lot so he'll get
>> rid of the stuff that's in the pills he's taking. Not to mention that it
>> looks like the Baytril can actually cause the formation of enrofloxacin
>> crystals in the bladder, which is the last thing a kitty with cystitis
>> needs. So far it's been about 12 hours or so since he last peed. It's
>> about time for him to go again, but he's not showing any signs of wanting
>> to go. I'll give him water with a syringe if I have to, but it would be
>> pretty stressful for him, so I'd rather get his appetite stimulated so
>> he'll take the water with his food, as usual.
>>

> Yeah, I think he needs to see a vet again - there's just too much going on
> there for anyone on here to be able to help.
>
> I do have one suggestion, though, for pilling a cat. Coat the pill
> (especially tablets) heavily with butter - this not only hides the taste of
> the pill, but it will also help it slide down his throat. As soon as the
> pill is down, follow it up with several syringes of water to make sure it's
> gone all the way down (if not, pills or portions of pill can get caught in
> the throat lining and cause strictures).
>
> For pilling a cat, I kneel down on the floor then sit in my heels. I put
> the cat, backwards, in the "V" I make with my legs so that his butt is
> pushed firmly against my groin. I cup my left had under his chin both
> pulling his head up (nose pointed at the ceiling) and prying his mouth open
> with the thumb and forefinger of that hand. I put the pill on my right
> index finger (with butter it should stick there for a second or two) and
> insert is as far towards the back of his throat as I can get. I immediately
> close his mouth with my left hand, still holding his head up and rubbing his
> neck and I lean over and blow gently into his nose (this triggers a
> swallowing response). Then, as mentioned above, I put several syringes of
> water in his cheek to make sure the pill goes all the way down.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Thank you for the pilling advice, Catnipped. I will get a chance to try
it out in just a couple of hours, when it's time for his next pills.

My vet's still not open, so we still haven't gone. But, I managed to get
Kotyo to eat about half a bowl of canned chicken mixed with broth and
water! And 20 minutes later he used the litterbox!!! I'm so happy :-)
:-) :-)

I'm beginning to think that the meds have affected his sense of smell.
To get him to eat the chicken I had to literally push some of it into
his mouth. Before that he was just turning his head away from it. But
once he tasted it, he became interested and started licking my finger.
So I kept moving my finger with the chicken on it closer and closer to
the bowl, until finally he realized there was food inside. Then he
started eating, but very very slowly, and I had to keep encouraging him
by pushing the bits of chicken closer to the rim of the bowl. Eventually
he finished it all off.

I'll be asking the vet if these meds can cause loss of the sense of
smell. I didn't find anything about this anywhere online. Maybe I just
have a weird cat :-)

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

CatNipped[_2_]
August 14th 08, 04:26 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> [...]
> water! And 20 minutes later he used the litterbox!!! I'm so happy :-) :-)
> :-)
>
> I'm beginning to think that the meds have affected his sense of smell. To
> get him to eat the chicken I had to literally push some of it into his
> mouth. Before that he was just turning his head away from it. But once he
> tasted it, he became interested and started licking my finger. So I kept
> moving my finger with the chicken on it closer and closer to the bowl,
> until finally he realized there was food inside. Then he started eating,
> but very very slowly, and I had to keep encouraging him by pushing the
> bits of chicken closer to the rim of the bowl. Eventually he finished it
> all off.
>
> I'll be asking the vet if these meds can cause loss of the sense of smell.
> I didn't find anything about this anywhere online. Maybe I just have a

He may have a stuffed up nose - that is one of the main reasons cats stop
eating. Sometimes warming up their food helps because it causes it to smell
more.

Also, you might ask your vet about giving him pepcid since the medicines may
be upsetting his stomach.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 07:55 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> He may have a stuffed up nose - that is one of the main reasons cats stop
> eating. Sometimes warming up their food helps because it causes it to smell
> more.
>
> Also, you might ask your vet about giving him pepcid since the medicines may
> be upsetting his stomach.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Well, we're back from the vet but without any answers :-(

He seems to be fine, doesn't have a stuffed up nose. They think he's
just off his food because of the meds, which are known to suppress the
appetite. And since he did eat some food today, although not as much as
I'd like, they just told me to watch him for now. If he stops eating
completely or starts vomiting, then I should bring him in again. This
doesn't solve my problem of getting him to drink enough :-(

I asked the vet if I could give him some milk (if it won't interfere
with the medication), and he said it was ok. So I bought some cat milk,
as well as some Whiskas turkey pate - I'm hoping that it is stinkier
than Kotyo's regular food and he might eat it. So far the only thing he
hasn't turned away from has been some Hill's kitten dry kibble (*very
stinky*) that the new kitten can't eat because it gives her the runs.
All I have to do is open the bag and wave it in the air, and Kotyo comes
out from under the bed. But of course I can't give him dry when he's got
cystitis. So I'm hoping that some canned "junk food" might tempt him
too, and maybe he'll also drink the milk... That would take care of both
my big worries...

I took your pilling advice and it helped. Thanks again. But now my poor
baby is hiding under the bed, very unhappy with me. I don't know if I'll
be able to get him out from under there tomorrow morning for the next
pill :-( I've never had any trouble giving him pills before. He's never
met food he didn't like, and so all I've ever had to do was put the pill
inside a bit of hotdog or sausage or ham, and he would gulp it down
without even chewing. This thing of forcing pills down his throat is
unfamiliar and very stressful for both of us :-(

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

CatNipped[_2_]
August 14th 08, 08:05 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> CatNipped wrote:
>>
>> He may have a stuffed up nose - that is one of the main reasons cats stop
>> eating. Sometimes warming up their food helps because it causes it to
>> smell more.
>>
>> Also, you might ask your vet about giving him pepcid since the medicines
>> may be upsetting his stomach.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> Well, we're back from the vet but without any answers :-(
>
> He seems to be fine, doesn't have a stuffed up nose. They think he's just
> off his food because of the meds, which are known to suppress the
> appetite. And since he did eat some food today, although not as much as
> I'd like, they just told me to watch him for now. If he stops eating
> completely or starts vomiting, then I should bring him in again. This
> doesn't solve my problem of getting him to drink enough :-(
>
> I asked the vet if I could give him some milk (if it won't interfere with
> the medication), and he said it was ok. So I bought some cat milk, as well
> as some Whiskas turkey pate - I'm hoping that it is stinkier than Kotyo's
> regular food and he might eat it. So far the only thing he hasn't turned
> away from has been some Hill's kitten dry kibble (*very stinky*) that the
> new kitten can't eat because it gives her the runs. All I have to do is
> open the bag and wave it in the air, and Kotyo comes out from under the
> bed. But of course I can't give him dry when he's got cystitis. So I'm
> hoping that some canned "junk food" might tempt him too, and maybe he'll
> also drink the milk... That would take care of both my big worries...
>
> I took your pilling advice and it helped. Thanks again. But now my poor
> baby is hiding under the bed, very unhappy with me. I don't know if I'll
> be able to get him out from under there tomorrow morning for the next pill
> :-( I've never had any trouble giving him pills before. He's never met
> food he didn't like, and so all I've ever had to do was put the pill
> inside a bit of hotdog or sausage or ham, and he would gulp it down
> without even chewing. This thing of forcing pills down his throat is
> unfamiliar and very stressful for both of us :-(

I know this must be stressful for you both. Mine have never turned down
Fancy Feast - and since it was bought out by Purina, they changed the
ingredients to make it healthy too. Here's the nutritional information I
got from Purina: http://www.possibleplaces.com/Fancy%5FFeast%5FValues/. And
believe me, *nothing* stinks as good as Fancy Feast (I have to rinse out the
cans before I put them in the kitchen garbage pail)! ;>

Mine hate to be pilled also, but cats tend to live in the here-and-now so
I'm sure he'll come around soon. He's probably staying under the bed
because he's feeling bad - predators try to find the safest place to rest
when they are ill because they are *so* vulnerable during illness.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Riannon via CatKB.com
August 14th 08, 08:46 PM
Nadia N. wrote:
>I asked the vet if I could give him some milk (if it won't interfere
>with the medication), and he said it was ok. So I bought some cat milk,
>as well as some Whiskas turkey pate - I'm hoping that it is stinkier
>than Kotyo's regular food and he might eat it. So far the only thing he
>hasn't turned away from has been some Hill's kitten dry kibble (*very
>stinky*) that the new kitten can't eat because it gives her the runs.
>All I have to do is open the bag and wave it in the air, and Kotyo comes
>out from under the bed. But of course I can't give him dry when he's got
> cystitis. So I'm hoping that some canned "junk food" might tempt him
>too, and maybe he'll also drink the milk... That would take care of both
>my big worries...

Humans are *not* supposed to drink milk while taking antibiotics - but I
don't know if that would also apply to animals.

Agree with Catnipped - Fancy Feast is kitty crack; also Sheba (in the plastic
square container)

Riannon

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 08:53 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> I know this must be stressful for you both. Mine have never turned down
> Fancy Feast - and since it was bought out by Purina, they changed the
> ingredients to make it healthy too. Here's the nutritional information I
> got from Purina: http://www.possibleplaces.com/Fancy%5FFeast%5FValues/. And
> believe me, *nothing* stinks as good as Fancy Feast (I have to rinse out the
> cans before I put them in the kitchen garbage pail)! ;>

No Fancy Feast in pet stores or grocery stores in Spain, unfortunately
:-( I found Whiskas and Friskies, as well as some store brands. We'll
see how he likes the Whiskas tonight. If he doesn't like it, I'm going
on a cat food shopping spree tomorrow morning.

At least he's not in pain and running to the litterbox every 5 minutes.
It just broke my heart to see him panting and hissing with pain on
Tuesday. So if I have to force pills down his throat so he'll get
better, we'll both just have to endure it for a little while...

Thanks again Catnipped. You've been a great help, both in providing
useful advice and in keeping my spirits up :-)

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 09:05 PM
Riannon via CatKB.com wrote:

> Humans are *not* supposed to drink milk while taking antibiotics - but I
> don't know if that would also apply to animals.

Yes, that's what I've been told too. That's why I asked the vet. But
Baytril is an animals-only antibiotic. Maybe it's different... Still,
I've been holding off on giving him any milk until a few more hours have
passed since his latest antibiotics pill. If I can get him to drink some
water with his food, I won't risk giving him the milk.

> Agree with Catnipped - Fancy Feast is kitty crack; also Sheba (in the plastic
> square container)
>

> Riannon

I wish I could find either of these here in Spain. All I've seen in the
stores is Whiskas, Friskies, Purina One, as well as some brands I've
never heard of, like Felix and Brekkies. I might just have to buy one of
everything and hope he likes at least one. If he ever gets out from
under the bed, that is.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

CatNipped[_2_]
August 14th 08, 09:07 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> CatNipped wrote:
>>
>> I know this must be stressful for you both. Mine have never turned down
>> Fancy Feast - and since it was bought out by Purina, they changed the
>> ingredients to make it healthy too. Here's the nutritional information I
>> got from Purina: http://www.possibleplaces.com/Fancy%5FFeast%5FValues/.
>> And believe me, *nothing* stinks as good as Fancy Feast (I have to rinse
>> out the cans before I put them in the kitchen garbage pail)! ;>
>
> No Fancy Feast in pet stores or grocery stores in Spain, unfortunately
> :-( I found Whiskas and Friskies, as well as some store brands. We'll see
> how he likes the Whiskas tonight. If he doesn't like it, I'm going on a
> cat food shopping spree tomorrow morning.

Ah, well, then I'd just advise something as smelly as possible - they seem
to like that! ;> When they're sick it's not so important *what* they eat,
just that they *do* eat. Have you tried the water from a can of human tuna?
I wouldn't advise that normally because of the salt and mercury content, but
a limited amout, just to get some liquids down him, wouldn't hurt.

> At least he's not in pain and running to the litterbox every 5 minutes. It
> just broke my heart to see him panting and hissing with pain on Tuesday.
> So if I have to force pills down his throat so he'll get better, we'll
> both just have to endure it for a little while...

Yeah, there's nothing as heartbreaking as seeing a loved one in pain - I'd
rather bear the pain myself!

> Thanks again Catnipped. You've been a great help, both in providing useful
> advice and in keeping my spirits up :-)

Well, it sounds like you have a handle on things, all I can do at this point
is cheer you on and send my clowder's healing purrs along with my well
wishes.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

Nadia N.
August 14th 08, 09:31 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> Ah, well, then I'd just advise something as smelly as possible - they seem
> to like that! ;> When they're sick it's not so important *what* they eat,
> just that they *do* eat. Have you tried the water from a can of human tuna?
> I wouldn't advise that normally because of the salt and mercury content, but
> a limited amout, just to get some liquids down him, wouldn't hurt.

Good idea, I'll have to add human tuna to my shopping list for tomorrow.

>> Thanks again Catnipped. You've been a great help, both in providing useful
>> advice and in keeping my spirits up :-)
>
> Well, it sounds like you have a handle on things, all I can do at this point
> is cheer you on and send my clowder's healing purrs along with my well
> wishes.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Purrs and good wishes greatly appreciated :-)