PDA

View Full Version : sprained paw

August 13th 08, 05:40 PM
My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
cat, her sister, is hissing at her).

I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
relievers I can give her.

Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Thx!

Debby Hanoka[_2_]
August 13th 08, 06:15 PM
On Aug 13, 12:40*pm, wrote:
> My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
> night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
> her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
> cat, her sister, is hissing at her).
>
> I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
> She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
> and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
> more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
> earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
> and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
> relievers I can give her.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?
>
> Thx!

One suggestion seems to have been overlooked: Find a new vet!

Debby

cybercat
August 13th 08, 06:51 PM
> wrote in message
> My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
> night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
> her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
> cat, her sister, is hissing at her).
>
> I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
> She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
> and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
> more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
> earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
> and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
> relievers I can give her.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?

Take your cat to the vet when you want to know what is wrong with her paw.
You CAN get her in any time you want, you just won't.

August 13th 08, 07:35 PM
On Aug 13, 3:51*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
> > night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
> > her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
> > cat, her sister, is hissing at her).
>
> > I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
> > She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
> > and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
> > more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
> > earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
> > and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
> > relievers I can give her.
>
> > Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?
>
> Take your cat to the vet when you want to know what is wrong with her paw..
> You CAN get her in any time you want, you just won't.

<sigh>

Forget that I asked. Obviously, some are just too smart for their own
good.

And NO, I can't get her to the vet. They don't consider a sprained paw
to be an emergency. She is eating and is now going to the litter. I'm
an hour away from the nearest vet in the middle of summer (with part
of the staff is on vacation) in a part of the world where labour
shortages are hampering every facet of the economy including
veterinarians. What do you expect me to do? Tell the receptionist that
she can get me in anytime I want??? Sheesh.

I'll go find a forum where people give out helpful advice instead of
baseless and childish accusations.

<unsubscribe>

Riannon via CatKB.com
August 13th 08, 08:03 PM
>And NO, I can't get her to the vet. They don't consider a sprained paw
>to be an emergency. She is eating and is now going to the litter. I'm

So, the receptionist has diagnosed it as a sprained paw over the phone? Wow.
It could be something else and waiting a week to find out is a bad idea.
They don't consider a cat that's been hurt and is not going to the bathroom
at all a big deal?

>an hour away from the nearest vet in the middle of summer (with part
>of the staff is on vacation) in a part of the world where labour
>shortages are hampering every facet of the economy including
>veterinarians. What do you expect me to do? Tell the receptionist that

So it's an hour drive and there's less vets there than usual. So what's the
problem? Get in the car, drive for an hour and see one of those vets.
That's what I would do.

Riannon

MaryL
August 14th 08, 06:49 AM
> wrote in message
On Aug 13, 3:51 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
> > night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
> > her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
> > cat, her sister, is hissing at her).
>
> > I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
> > She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
> > and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
> > more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
> > earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
> > and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
> > relievers I can give her.
>
> > Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?
>
> Take your cat to the vet when you want to know what is wrong with her paw.
> You CAN get her in any time you want, you just won't.

<sigh>

Forget that I asked. Obviously, some are just too smart for their own
good.

And NO, I can't get her to the vet. They don't consider a sprained paw
to be an emergency. She is eating and is now going to the litter. I'm
an hour away from the nearest vet in the middle of summer (with part
of the staff is on vacation) in a part of the world where labour
shortages are hampering every facet of the economy including
veterinarians. What do you expect me to do? Tell the receptionist that
she can get me in anytime I want??? Sheesh.

I'll go find a forum where people give out helpful advice instead of
baseless and childish accusations.

<unsubscribe>

One problem is that you called it a "sprained paw." You don't know that.
Instead, you should be describing a cat that is limping and needs to be seen
*now.* Tell the receptionist you are willing to sit in the waiting room and
wait for a short break between other patients, but you are very concerned
about your cat.

My cat, Holly, suddenly started to limp some time ago. I coudn't see
anything. It turned out that she had an abscess! She is black and her pads
are black. She had a tiny little cut that even the vet had difficulty
finding. When he probed, pus came shooting out. If I had delayed, I would
have risked serious infection.

MaryL

honeybunch
August 14th 08, 07:52 PM
On Aug 13, 12:40 pm, wrote:
> My 13 year old indoor cat snuck outside and ended up spending the
> night on the deck before I realized she was missing. When I brought
> her back in, she was limping on her front right paw (and the other
> cat, her sister, is hissing at her).
>
> I've manipulated the whole paw and am pretty sure nothing is broken.
> She can walk short distances in a pinch, but prefers just to lay down
> and do nothing. She eats a little but hasn't gone to the litter in
> more than a day. I can't get her to a vet until next week at the
> earliest. The vet receptionist suggested a cold compress on the paw
> and I've managed that a few times. I know there's no human pain
> relievers I can give her.
>
> Any suggestions on what to do for the paw and litter problem?
>
> Thx!

Why do you think its the paw? It could be a pulled ligament. But
she's not going to die from it before you get her to the vet next
week. You sound like a very caring person. Probably your could give
her treatment for hairball if she is having problems in the litter
box. She might have hairball anyhow. Get her some hairball food if
you can and brush her coat well. Royal Canin dry and Science canned.