PDA

View Full Version : Music and Cats

LauraM[_2_]
August 15th 08, 04:18 AM
It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
play. It's just the cutest thing! He stretches out on his side and
looks like a little angel laying there. I guess it's true that music
soothes the savage beast! (Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
kitty 'savage'.)

Wayne Mitchell
August 15th 08, 02:03 PM
LauraM > wrote:

>I guess it's true that music
>soothes the savage beast!

It's very individual. When I pick up my guitar, Will comes running, and
Heidi goes running. I got the same dichotomy of reactions -- though
less strong -- from my previous pair.
--

Wayne M.

Rene S.
August 15th 08, 03:32 PM
I wish one of mine would do that. One of mine in particular is very
afraid of the piano. However, when I was growing up, my parents shih
tzu would sit under my feet whenever I played. It was so cute.

LauraM[_2_]
August 15th 08, 05:47 PM
On Aug 15, 7:32*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> I wish one of mine would do that. One of mine in particular is very
> afraid of the piano. However, when I was growing up, my parents shih
> tzu would sit under my feet whenever I played. It was so cute.

I used to have two cats, but Emma died a few years ago. When she was
alive, both Hobbes *and* Emma would come down the stairs at the same
time and lay next to each other by my feet. It was so adorable. The
best part is their little angelic faces.

Debby Hanoka[_2_]
August 15th 08, 06:27 PM
> It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> play. *It's just the cutest thing! *He stretches out on his side and
> looks like a little angel laying there. *I guess it's true that music
> soothes the savage beast! *(Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> kitty 'savage'.)

When I was in college (1988 - 1993), I had a gray tabby and white
named Scrappy. She loved her classic rock, as did I. Whenever Lynrd
Skynrd came on the radio, she'd come running, jumping up on my desk
and face-rubbing the radio for the duration of the song. Then she'd
Blondie came on, she'd go running as far away as she could get. I
invariably had to turn it down (or even off) so she wouldn't try to
bite me or my housemates. Blue Oyster Cult, however, didn't phase her
at all. She just slept right through them.

On of my current cats, eighteen year old Kitty Schottland, stops what
she's doing and pays attention to the radio, tv, or whatever is
playing Fleetwood Mac. It must be something about Steve Nicks'
voice. Go figure.

Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com

LauraM[_2_]
August 15th 08, 07:45 PM
On Aug 15, 10:27*am, Debby Hanoka > wrote:
> > It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> > where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> > play. *It's just the cutest thing! *He stretches out on his side and
> > looks like a little angel laying there. *I guess it's true that music
> > soothes the savage beast! *(Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> > kitty 'savage'.)
>
> When I was in college (1988 - 1993), I had a gray tabby and white
> named Scrappy. *She loved her classic rock, as did I. *Whenever Lynrd
> Skynrd came on the radio, she'd come running, jumping up on my desk
> and face-rubbing the radio for the duration of the song. *Then she'd
> Blondie came on, she'd go running as far away as she could get. *I
> invariably had to turn it down (or even off) so she wouldn't try to
> bite me or my housemates. *Blue Oyster Cult, however, didn't phase her
> at all. *She just slept right through them.
>
> On of my current cats, eighteen year old Kitty Schottland, stops what
> she's doing and pays attention to the radio, tv, or whatever is
> playing Fleetwood Mac. *It must be something about Steve Nicks'
> voice. *Go figure.
>
> Debby Hanoka
> dhanoka at gmail dot com

Scrappy must've been a southern rocker. *snicker* At least Scrappy
had good taste....I'd run away too if Blondie came on the radio!

Debby Hanoka[_2_]
August 15th 08, 08:05 PM
On Aug 15, 2:45*pm, LauraM > wrote:
> On Aug 15, 10:27*am, Debby Hanoka > wrote:
>

> > > It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> > > where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> > > play. *It's just the cutest thing! *He stretches out on his side and
> > > looks like a little angel laying there. *I guess it's true that music
> > > soothes the savage beast! *(Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> > > kitty 'savage'.)
>
> > When I was in college (1988 - 1993), I had a gray tabby and white
> > named Scrappy. *She loved her classic rock, as did I. *Whenever Lynrd
> > Skynrd came on the radio, she'd come running, jumping up on my desk
> > and face-rubbing the radio for the duration of the song. *Then she'd
> > Blondie came on, she'd go running as far away as she could get. *I
> > invariably had to turn it down (or even off) so she wouldn't try to
> > bite me or my housemates. *Blue Oyster Cult, however, didn't phase her
> > at all. *She just slept right through them.
>
> > On of my current cats, eighteen year old Kitty Schottland, stops what
> > she's doing and pays attention to the radio, tv, or whatever is
> > playing Fleetwood Mac. *It must be something about Steve Nicks'
> > voice. *Go figure.
>
> > Debby Hanoka
> > dhanoka at gmail dot com
>
> Scrappy must've been a southern rocker. **snicker* *At least Scrappy
> had good taste....I'd run away too if Blondie came on the radio!

I recall her being quite tolerant of The Outlaws and Mollie Hatchet as
well (even when I sand along). My musical tastes are quite eclectic,
ranging from 1950's doo-wop (esp. Santo & Johnny), 1960's British
Invasion, and hard rock from the late 1960's and all of the 1970's.
That includes the glam and punk that originated from New York City
(Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, New York Dolls, Blondie, The Ramones,
Patti Smith, etc). The cat I have now, seven year old Lilith (brown
tabby and white) meows along with the MP3's I play on my computer.
I'm not sure who she likes the most, though. I think she could be
partial to the (early) Byrds ...

Debby

Stampir
August 16th 08, 05:45 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
> It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> play. It's just the cutest thing! He stretches out on his side and
> looks like a little angel laying there. I guess it's true that music
> soothes the savage beast! (Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> kitty 'savage'.)

Strange. I've never really noticed any cats I've known respond to
music in any way at all, maybe I'm just dense.

Xas
August 17th 08, 05:50 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
> It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> play. It's just the cutest thing! He stretches out on his side and
> looks like a little angel laying there. I guess it's true that music
> soothes the savage beast! (Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> kitty 'savage'.)

Pitch seems to be the issue for mine. They ignore the piano, but get
agitated when I scrape at the violin. I get my chin bitten if I try to
whistle, especially with the high notes. I have a feeling a mouth organ
would produce the same effect and I know they get perturbed with the tin
whistle.
bp

August 30th 08, 04:33 AM
On Aug 17, 12:50*am, "Xas" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote in message

> > It's the funniest thing....every time I play the piano, no matter
> > where Hobbes is in the house, he comes to lay next to me while I
> > play. *It's just the cutest thing! *He stretches out on his side and
> > looks like a little angel laying there. *I guess it's true that music
> > soothes the savage beast! *(Although I'd hardly call my big, cuddly
> > kitty 'savage'.)
>
> Pitch seems to be the issue for mine. They ignore the piano, but get
> agitated when I scrape at the violin. I get my chin bitten if I try to
> whistle, especially with the high notes. *I have a feeling a mouth organ
> would produce the same effect and I know they get perturbed with the tin
> whistle.
> bp

My SO's cat paws at my guitar case or sits by the keyboard when she
wants music. SO's reaction: you'll play for HER but not for ME?
(Playing for him feels too much like performing and I'm woefully out
of practice.).