PDA

View Full Version : flea baths vs once a month stuff


James
August 17th 08, 05:56 PM
Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
stuff to work? If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
flea bites?

Bobblespin
August 17th 08, 06:34 PM
James > wrote in news:e62a45e4-1498-4aa4-b9ab-
:

> Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
> stuff to work? If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
> flea bites?
>

The idea behind the once a month treatments is also to kill the fleas so
they don't reproduce, i.e. lay eggs in your house and hatch, and you end up
in a neverending cycle. You'd have to bathe your cat very often to get rid
of fleas - not fun for either of you. My cat doesn't mind the Advantage
treatment since I caught on to warming up the tube before putting it on.

Bobble

greg[_2_]
August 17th 08, 08:10 PM
On Aug 17, 1:34*pm, bobblespin > wrote:
> James > wrote in news:e62a45e4-1498-4aa4-b9ab-
> :
>
> > Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
> > stuff to work? *If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
> > flea bites?
>
> The idea behind the once a month treatments is also to kill the fleas so
> they don't reproduce, i.e. lay eggs in your house and hatch, and you end up
> in a neverending cycle. *You'd have to bathe your cat very often to get rid
> of fleas - not fun for either of you. My cat doesn't mind the Advantage
> treatment since I caught on to warming up the tube before putting it on.
>
> Bobble

.

Petzl
August 17th 08, 10:25 PM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:56:46 -0700 (PDT), James
> wrote:

>Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
>stuff to work? If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
>flea bites?

Don't know how "Advantage" works but it does
It also kills fleas where ever the cat goes

I only "dose" the cat when fleas appear not monthly,
Last "dose" of Advantage was well over 4 months ago

Tried some supposed no name brands from supermarket they did not work

Bath your cat and it will hate you and hide in fear when bath water is
heard running (I used to do this years back)

Even Advantage stinks and cat is not pleased.Make sure dose is applied
between cat ears as this stuff is deadly poisonous.
Cat cannot lick between ears

Petzl
--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?
<http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_to_post>
** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

MaryL
August 17th 08, 10:52 PM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
...
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:56:46 -0700 (PDT), James
> > wrote:
>
>>Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
>>stuff to work? If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
>>flea bites?
>
> Don't know how "Advantage" works but it does
> It also kills fleas where ever the cat goes
>
> I only "dose" the cat when fleas appear not monthly,
> Last "dose" of Advantage was well over 4 months ago
>
> Tried some supposed no name brands from supermarket they did not work
>
> Bath your cat and it will hate you and hide in fear when bath water is
> heard running (I used to do this years back)
>
> Even Advantage stinks and cat is not pleased.Make sure dose is applied
> between cat ears as this stuff is deadly poisonous.
> Cat cannot lick between ears
>
> Petzl
> --
>

I have not needed to use Advantage for a couple of years (indoor only cats),
but it was very effective. I agree with the previous advice -- do not use
*no name* flea preparations. They are not effective, but more important,
they can be dangerous.

I am responding to this part of the thread because Petzl said to be sure to
apply the dose between the ears. My vet said to apply at the *base of the
skull* (the area below the ears where there is a slight indentation at the
base of the head), not between the ears. Cats cannot reach that area to
lick (just as Petzl described), but that is the areas that vets recommend.

Here is a pictorial illustration from Bayer:
http://advantage.petparents.com/howToApplyCats.cfm

MaryL

Petzl
August 17th 08, 11:07 PM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:52:30 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>
>"Petzl" > wrote in message
...
>> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:56:46 -0700 (PDT), James
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Am I correct that fleas have to bite you cat for the once a month
>>>stuff to work? If so, which is more annoying to the pussy, bathing or
>>>flea bites?
>>
>> Don't know how "Advantage" works but it does
>> It also kills fleas where ever the cat goes
>>
>> I only "dose" the cat when fleas appear not monthly,
>> Last "dose" of Advantage was well over 4 months ago
>>
>> Tried some supposed no name brands from supermarket they did not work
>>
>> Bath your cat and it will hate you and hide in fear when bath water is
>> heard running (I used to do this years back)
>>
>> Even Advantage stinks and cat is not pleased.Make sure dose is applied
>> between cat ears as this stuff is deadly poisonous.
>> Cat cannot lick between ears
>>
>> Petzl
>> --
>>
>
>I have not needed to use Advantage for a couple of years (indoor only cats),
>but it was very effective. I agree with the previous advice -- do not use
>*no name* flea preparations. They are not effective, but more important,
>they can be dangerous.
>
>I am responding to this part of the thread because Petzl said to be sure to
>apply the dose between the ears. My vet said to apply at the *base of the
>skull* (the area below the ears where there is a slight indentation at the
>base of the head), not between the ears. Cats cannot reach that area to
>lick (just as Petzl described), but that is the areas that vets recommend.
>
>Here is a pictorial illustration from Bayer:
>http://advantage.petparents.com/howToApplyCats.cfm
>
>MaryL

Brilliant thanks

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox
** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **