PDA

View Full Version : Communication

Kermit Tisdale
August 19th 08, 01:28 PM
Hi I have a question that I would appreciate it if someone can help me
with.

Where my cats eats....every now and then, she scatches the floor (4 or 5
times repeatedly) in front of her bowls. I have no idea whats she's
trying to tell me. My cat prior to this, one would from time to time do
the same thing....scratch in front of his eating bowl. Does anyone know
what that communication is? I'm stumped

Thank You!

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 19th 08, 01:43 PM
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:28:18 -0700, Kermit Tisdale wrote:

> Hi I have a question that I would appreciate it if someone can help me
> with.
>
> Where my cats eats....every now and then, she scatches the floor (4 or 5
> times repeatedly) in front of her bowls. I have no idea whats she's trying
> to tell me. My cat prior to this, one would from time to time do the same
> thing....scratch in front of his eating bowl. Does anyone know what that
> communication is? I'm stumped

Often, that means the cat would prefer to bury the food than to eat it.
Try a different brand/type of food. Also, make sure the food and water
bowls are not too near each other and are well away from litter pans.

--
T.E.D. )

Ralph
August 19th 08, 08:04 PM
The instinct is to cover the food so that other animals don't smell it. The
same reason applies to burying in the litterbox.
If your cat is overweight, try a *little* less in the bowl at one feeding.
I'm told two feedings a day is good.

If the food has a lot of odour, you might try another brand, but I'd stay
with it if the cat is otherwise healthy. They really, really don't like
change.
Gradual change, if necessary, over weeks.

"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:28:18 -0700, Kermit Tisdale wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a question that I would appreciate it if someone can help me
>> with.
>>
>> Where my cats eats....every now and then, she scatches the floor (4 or 5
>> times repeatedly) in front of her bowls. I have no idea whats she's
>> trying
>> to tell me. My cat prior to this, one would from time to time do the same
>> thing....scratch in front of his eating bowl. Does anyone know what that
>> communication is? I'm stumped
>
> Often, that means the cat would prefer to bury the food than to eat it.
> Try a different brand/type of food. Also, make sure the food and water
> bowls are not too near each other and are well away from litter pans.
>
> --
> T.E.D. )

K Tisdale
August 20th 08, 06:39 AM
Ted you're a blessing! And all this time ,I've always placed the bowls
(water and food) right beside each other. But just out of curiosity..why
is that not a good idea?

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 20th 08, 01:47 PM
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:39:05 -0700, K Tisdale wrote:

> Ted you're a blessing! And all this time ,I've always placed the bowls
> (water and food) right beside each other. But just out of curiosity..why
> is that not a good idea?

Cats don't like it. In nature, they don't eat and drink at the same
places. Other than that, and the collected experiences of cat slaves over
the years, I really don't have a clue. Mine are about four feet apart,
and still some of the cats insist on drinking from a bowl in the kitchen
sink or from puddles outside, and a couple of them prefer to eat the
leftovers I throw out the door than to eat fresh kibble from the bowl.

--
T.E.D. )

Stan Brown
August 20th 08, 02:35 PM
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:47:15 -0500 from Ted Davis >:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:39:05 -0700, K Tisdale wrote:
>
> > Ted you're a blessing! And all this time ,I've always placed the bowls
> > (water and food) right beside each other. But just out of curiosity..why
> > is that not a good idea?
>
> Cats don't like it. In nature, they don't eat and drink at the same
> places.

You mean they would ignore a bird that was standing on a birdbath?
Somehow I'm just a tad skeptical. :-)

Seriously, I have no problem believing that*some* cats don't like it,
but to say "cats don't like it" seems like a big overgeneralization.
I've had probably a dozen cats over the course of my life, and all
have been quite content with food and water in close proximity.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 20th 08, 08:58 PM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:35:23 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:47:15 -0500 from Ted Davis >:
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:39:05 -0700, K Tisdale wrote:
>>
>> > Ted you're a blessing! And all this time ,I've always placed the bowls
>> > (water and food) right beside each other. But just out of
>> > curiosity..why is that not a good idea?
>>
>> Cats don't like it. In nature, they don't eat and drink at the same
>> places.
>
> You mean they would ignore a bird that was standing on a birdbath? Somehow
> I'm just a tad skeptical. :-)

It's highly unlikely that a cat would be able to catch a bird in a bird
bath or to drink from one.

> Seriously, I have no problem believing that*some* cats don't like it,
> but to say "cats don't like it" seems like a big overgeneralization.
> I've had probably a dozen cats over the course of my life, and all have
> been quite content with food and water in close proximity.

Doing what you have to to stay alive is not quite the same thing as being
quite content.

--
T.E.D. )

Ralph
August 21st 08, 02:02 AM
I have to go with Ted on the separation of food, water and litter.
I knew to keep the litter a good distance away, but only recently found that
my tabby preferred the water a distance apart.
I tested by having two dishes available, and then switching the dishes to
see if the actual dish was a preference.

She also prefers filtered water to the municipal supply, but I think
temperature might be an influence, too. I use a Brita. Well, I like it,
too.

"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:35:23 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

>>> Cats don't like it. In nature, they don't eat and drink at the same
>>> places.
>>
>> You mean they would ignore a bird that was standing on a birdbath?
>> Somehow
>> I'm just a tad skeptical. :-)
>
> It's highly unlikely that a cat would be able to catch a bird in a bird
> bath or to drink from one.
>

>> Seriously, I have no problem believing that*some* cats don't like it,
>> but to say "cats don't like it" seems like a big overgeneralization.
>> I've had probably a dozen cats over the course of my life, and all have
>> been quite content with food and water in close proximity.
>
> Doing what you have to to stay alive is not quite the same thing as being
> quite content.
>
> --
> T.E.D. )

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 21st 08, 01:42 PM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:02:46 -0400, Ralph wrote:

> I have to go with Ted on the separation of food, water and litter. I knew
> to keep the litter a good distance away, but only recently found that my
> tabby preferred the water a distance apart. I tested by having two dishes
> available, and then switching the dishes to see if the actual dish was a
> preference.
>
> She also prefers filtered water to the municipal supply, but I think
> temperature might be an influence, too. I use a Brita. Well, I like it,
> too.

I have well water - deep well, highly mineralized. Several of the cats
prefer rain water, no matter how old and infested. One of them so likes
rain water that he walks out into puddles to find it deep enough. They
also like the stock pond water, but the pond is too far away for most of
them most of the time. It's also popular with the local wildlife: all the
game trails on my property lead there.

--
T.E.D. )

Kermit Tisdale
August 22nd 08, 02:07 PM
Thanks to ALL that replied to my original question . Your answers have
been very insightful. This is only my 2nd cat, but I've already learned
much about her (from this Discussion group).

Again; Thanks!!

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 22nd 08, 09:04 PM
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:07:29 -0700, Kermit Tisdale wrote:

> Thanks to ALL that replied to my original question . Your answers have
> been very insightful. This is only my 2nd cat, but I've already learned
> much about her (from this Discussion group).
>
> Again; Thanks!!

Second at the same time or second sequential? The optimum number of cats
is usually two or three at the same time.

--
T.E.D. )

Kermit Tisdale
August 22nd 08, 10:40 PM
This is my 2nd cat sequentially....see in the building I live, we can
only have one cat or dog at a time and the dog can't be over a certain
size You can have more birds and fish though.

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 23rd 08, 01:30 AM
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:40:22 -0700, Kermit Tisdale wrote:

> This is my 2nd cat sequentially....see in the building I live, we can only
> have one cat or dog at a time and the dog can't be over a certain size You
> can have more birds and fish though.

Well, I guess not everybody can live out in the country ... with fourteen
cats, plus visiting families of skunks, coons and possums ... and
hummingbirds, more of those than I can count or even estimate.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Stampir
August 24th 08, 09:24 PM
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:07:29 -0700, Kermit Tisdale wrote:
>
>> Thanks to ALL that replied to my original question . Your answers have
>> been very insightful. This is only my 2nd cat, but I've already learned
>> much about her (from this Discussion group).
>>
>> Again; Thanks!!
>
> Second at the same time or second sequential? The optimum number of cats
> is usually two or three at the same time.
>
> --
> T.E.D. )

Why is that? My family has usually had only one cat at a time. The cats
always seemed
happy. I guess w/two or more they have company and someone to play with
though.

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 25th 08, 01:55 AM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:24:20 -0700, Stampir wrote:

> Why is that? My family has usually had only one cat at a time. The cats
> always seemed
> happy. I guess w/two or more they have company and someone to play with
> though.

It's usually held that two will be playmates; with three, two will gang ou
on the third. That may or may not be true: three may get along well with
each other, or two will be a team and ignore the third while the third
ignores them; on the other hand, two may never become friends, but they do
provide interest for each other.

Personally, I prefer enough so that there is almost always one handy for
lap duty. Until I got CJ, that took over a dozen - him, I can't get rid
of when I *don't* want a lap cat. The current count (indoor/outdoor cats
living out in the country) is fourteen.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Stampir
August 29th 08, 01:44 AM
"Ted Davis" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:24:20 -0700, Stampir wrote:
>
>> Why is that? My family has usually had only one cat at a time. The cats
>> always seemed
>> happy. I guess w/two or more they have company and someone to play with
>> though.
>
> It's usually held that two will be playmates; with three, two will gang ou
> on the third. That may or may not be true: three may get along well with
> each other, or two will be a team and ignore the third while the third
> ignores them; on the other hand, two may never become friends, but they do
> provide interest for each other.
>
> Personally, I prefer enough so that there is almost always one handy for
> lap duty. Until I got CJ, that took over a dozen - him, I can't get rid
> of when I *don't* want a lap cat. The current count (indoor/outdoor cats
> living out in the country) is fourteen.
>
> --
>
> T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and
> Technology)
> used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

YOu have your own cat clowder!