PDA

View Full Version : Cat litter spreading

Janet
August 23rd 08, 03:17 PM
I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the floor
around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat" if
it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm fairly
certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when peeing close
to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing the trick--to
tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid stepping on it
because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm thinking about
getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It would seem like
common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses becoming habitual
and more common due to scent, and I don't want to inadvertently de-box-train
her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's Miracle).

Riannon via CatKB.com
August 23rd 08, 06:27 PM
Janet wrote:
>I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the floor
>around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
>although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat" if
>it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm fairly
>certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when peeing close
>to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing the trick--to
>tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid stepping on it
>because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm thinking about
>getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It would seem like
>common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses becoming habitual
>and more common due to scent, and I don't want to inadvertently de-box-train
>her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's Miracle).

My mats outside the boxes are quite old and they are made out of rubber. I
was thinking of replacing them but I notice that they are now made out of
plastic and some of them have little plastic points on them too which look
like they would be hard on their feet. If that's what you have, you could
try a rubber foot mat from the car section in stores instead. As for litter
scattering on the floor, the mats only help a bit. They carry a lot of the
litter between the toes as they walk and then it scatters. I just keep a
broom in the room and sweep it up a couple times a day.

Riannon

Janet
August 23rd 08, 10:09 PM
"Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Janet wrote:
>>I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the floor
>>around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
>>although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat"
>>if
>>it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm
>>fairly
>>certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when peeing
>>close
>>to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing the
>>trick--to
>>tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid stepping on it
>>because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm thinking about
>>getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It would seem like
>>common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses becoming
>>habitual
>>and more common due to scent, and I don't want to inadvertently
>>de-box-train
>>her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's Miracle).
>
> My mats outside the boxes are quite old and they are made out of rubber.
> was thinking of replacing them but I notice that they are now made out of
> plastic and some of them have little plastic points on them too which look
> like they would be hard on their feet. If that's what you have, you could
> try a rubber foot mat from the car section in stores instead. As for
> litter
> scattering on the floor, the mats only help a bit. They carry a lot of
> the
> litter between the toes as they walk and then it scatters. I just keep a
> broom in the room and sweep it up a couple times a day.
>

> Riannon

Yes, the kind of mat I have has those hard little points. I know that *I*
would avoid stepping on it! <G>

Ralph
August 24th 08, 02:44 AM
pile some of the litter against the side of the pan near the entrance to the
box.

That way she'll be further into the box.

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Janet wrote:
>>>I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the
>>>floor
>>>around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
>>>although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat"
>>>if
>>>it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm
>>>fairly
>>>certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when peeing
>>>close
>>>to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing the
>>>trick--to
>>>tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid stepping on it
>>>because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm thinking about
>>>getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It would seem like
>>>common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses becoming
>>>habitual
>>>and more common due to scent, and I don't want to inadvertently
>>>de-box-train
>>>her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's Miracle).
>>
>> My mats outside the boxes are quite old and they are made out of rubber.
>> was thinking of replacing them but I notice that they are now made out of
>> plastic and some of them have little plastic points on them too which
>> look
>> like they would be hard on their feet. If that's what you have, you
>> could
>> try a rubber foot mat from the car section in stores instead. As for
>> litter
>> scattering on the floor, the mats only help a bit. They carry a lot of
>> the
>> litter between the toes as they walk and then it scatters. I just keep
>> broom in the room and sweep it up a couple times a day.
>>

>> Riannon
>
> Yes, the kind of mat I have has those hard little points. I know that *I*
> would avoid stepping on it! <G>

S.Smith
August 24th 08, 05:19 PM
"Ralph" > wrote in message ...
> pile some of the litter against the side of the pan near the entrance to
> the box.
>
> That way she'll be further into the box.
>
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> My mats outside the boxes are quite old and they are made out of rubber.
>>> was thinking of replacing them but I notice that they are now made out
>>> of
>>> plastic and some of them have little plastic points on them too which
>>> look
>>> like they would be hard on their feet. If that's what you have, you
>>> could
>>> try a rubber foot mat from the car section in stores instead. As for
>>> litter
>>> scattering on the floor, the mats only help a bit. They carry a lot of
>>> the
>>> litter between the toes as they walk and then it scatters. I just keep
>>> broom in the room and sweep it up a couple times a day.
>>>

>>> Riannon
>>
>> Yes, the kind of mat I have has those hard little points. I know that *I*
>> would avoid stepping on it! <G>

For the past few years, I have used a large open box (from PetSmart) and it
was large enough that the litter stayed mostly in the box. I have a puppy
now and had to go back to a closed box. I selected one with a swinging door
that makes it difficult for the dog to get in there. My 12 yr. old Calico
is cool and layed back and seems to accept what comes her way. She had not
problems adjusting back to a closed box. I do have a plastic mat in
front...no sharp points that gets whatever she tracks out. This box also
has a secondary area just inside that will collect litter as she exits the
box. It also holds a small scoop.
Shirley

Spot[_2_]
August 24th 08, 06:09 PM
I have my box sitting inside of an old plastic pet carrier. This way if
they miss it ends up in the carrier. I know mine avoid the litter box and
deliberatly pee over the edge if the litter is dirty. I avoid the it mostly
by scooping the box 3 or 4 times daily. Occasionally I don't get it done in
time and someone goes over the edge because they don't like getting their
feet messy.

They also have those huge deep floor mats for big trucks that have a deep
lip. You could try slipping one of these under the box to catch the mess.
I use them for the dogs water bowls this way when they slop it ends up in
the mat and not on the floor. They are easy to clean you just pick them up
and rinse them off.

Celeste

"Janet" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the floor
> around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
> although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat"
> if it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm
> fairly certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when
> peeing close to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing
> the trick--to tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid
> stepping on it because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm
> thinking about getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It
> would seem like common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses
> becoming habitual and more common due to scent, and I don't want to
> inadvertently de-box-train her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's
> Miracle).

Rene S.
August 25th 08, 04:57 PM
You might try buying a storage container that's larger, such as a
Sterlite or Rubbermaid, to see if that helps with her "missing"
problem. It's possible she just doesn't have enough room to go in the
covered box.

I use high-pile carpet squares to catch excess litter, and shake them
outside periodically. I find they work better than the cat mats they
sell (and are much less expensive).

tension_on_the_wire
August 26th 08, 04:52 AM
On Aug 23, 7:17*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> I'm wondering what others do to prevent cat litter scattering on the floor
> around the box? Miss Kitty has a covered box, which she always uses,
> although she occasionally pees right outside it on the plastic "cat mat" if
> it's there, or on the floor if I've taken it away for cleaning. (I'm fairly
> certain that this happens only because she "misses" a bit when peeing close
> to the edge of the box.) The cat mat doesn't seem to be doing the trick--to
> tell you the truth, I'm wondering if she attempts to avoid stepping on it
> because she doesn't like the texture or something--and I'm thinking about
> getting some kind of easily-washed cotton rug instead. It would seem like
> common sense, but I'm a little concerned about the misses becoming habitual
> and more common due to scent, and I don't want to inadvertently de-box-train
> her (or have to invest in gallons of Nature's Miracle).

We have a BoodaDome box which is well-covered and with a cornered ramp
for access. We still have the same problem as you, occasionally.
Part of it is definitely that if the box has anything in it, she will
pee out the edge, almost as a protest. She is 16 years old, and tends
to pee standing up, straight backwards, and so always hits the lid
rather than the litter, so that has a risk of missing the lid and
coming out the doorway. But other times it was happening because it
was darker than usual in there, and the cat is getting cataracts so
she just plain missed. The ramp has a plastic mat underneath with no
sticky-outy things, but it is a pain to clean when wet or dirty, so on
top of that, just under where the feet first hit upon leaving the
ramp, are a few old cotton undershirt rags to grab the litter bits and
to soak up any of those accidents. Other than that, we can't think of
anything better than a rubber room to pee in, and we don't have quite
the luxury of giving the cat a whole little room to pee in. It's bad
enough providing enough facilities for the humans in this house!

--tension