PDA

View Full Version : Warring with a loudmouthed Siamese cat

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 24th 08, 10:34 PM
The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
with a loudmouthed siamese *******.

He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
time to eat.

I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
were ready to strangle him.

He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
"dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
psychiatric medication to calm down.

Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
without being awakened.

DWMeowMix
August 25th 08, 09:09 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese ******* <snip>

When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

DWMeowMix

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 25th 08, 10:07 PM
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:09:33 -0600, DWMeowMix > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
>> with a loudmouthed siamese ******* <snip>
>>
>When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
>bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
>started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
>looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
>quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
>wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!

Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
tantrum. I reserve the squirt gun for 1am howls when I have to flush him
out from under the bed to carry him off to "the dungeon".

Maybe I need to get earplugs. I have some heavy over-the-ear headphones
I could use.

I don't understand why he things his howling will get him anything but the
dungeon. I haven't let him outside at night since the middle of June and have
hardly slept 4 hours in a row since then.

cybercat
August 25th 08, 11:22 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:09:33 -0600, DWMeowMix > wrote:
>
>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
>>> with a loudmouthed siamese ******* <snip>
>>>
>>When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
>>bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
>>started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
>>looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
>>quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
>>wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!
>
> Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
> then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
> tantrum.

hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake. :)

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 26th 08, 01:41 AM
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:22:06 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

>>>When my "loudmouth siamese *******" gets that way I make use of the squirt
>>>bottle. He learned really fast that every time he started screaming, I
>>>started squirting. So, now when he waits by the door to go out, he just
>>>looks at me and maybe, just maybe will give a little breathy meow and
>>>quickly looks guilty. Until he put 2 and 2 together, sqawking = getting
>>>wet, I used earplugs when I went to bed!
>>
>> Squirting mongo won't shut him up. In fact it makes him more excited and
>> then he'll get in strangling sounding howls like a child having a temper
>> tantrum.

>hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
>and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake. :)

I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and is
going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending more than
15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is exactly how
he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.

tension_on_the_wire
August 26th 08, 04:44 AM
On Aug 25, 2:07*pm, AZ Nomad > wrote:

> I don't understand why he things his howling will get him anything but the
> dungeon. *I haven't let him outside at night since the middle of June and have
> hardly slept 4 hours in a row since then. *

Given your most recent post which seems to indicate you are about to
give in, his persistence appears to have been the intelligent thing to
do if he knew you would cave in the end. Sheer bloodimindedness can
go a long way in life, as he obviously has figured out at some point.

--tension

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 26th 08, 05:07 PM
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:41:08 -0500, AZ Nomad > wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:22:06 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>>hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a Siamese
>>and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake. :)

>I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and is
>going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending more than
>15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is exactly how
>he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.

Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour after
coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle of
the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until I got
up at 6:30am.

Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go out
until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.

cybercat
August 26th 08, 05:26 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:41:08 -0500, AZ Nomad
> > wrote:
>>On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:22:06 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>>>hahaha! I love Siamese cats. My Gracie is a tabby but built like a
>>>Siamese
>>>and she is very vocal, especially when conquering her rubber snake. :)
>
>>I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and
>>is
>>going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending
>>more than
>>15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is
>>exactly how
>>he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.
>
> Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour
> after
> coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
> howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle
> of
> the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until
> I got
> up at 6:30am.
>
> Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go
> out
> until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.

The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they will
not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing science.

I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 27th 08, 03:39 AM
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:26:31 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:41:08 -0500, AZ Nomad
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm finding it hard to love him right now. I think he has won the war and
>>>is
>>>going to get to be 99.9% feral again. He really doesn't like spending
>>>more than
>>>15 minutes indoors and paces like a caged animal which I supposed is
>>>exactly how
>>>he feels. I need my sleep; I haven't slept 5 hours in a row in weeks.
>>
>> Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour
>> after
>> coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
>> howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle
>> of
>> the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until
>> I got
>> up at 6:30am.
>>
>> Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go
>> out
>> until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.
>>

>The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they will
>not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing science.

>I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.

Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a siamese cat capapable for
howling for six months straight.

You don't have to be such an asshole about it.
Must be nice not needing sleep.

cybercat
August 27th 08, 05:43 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote:

>>The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they
>>will
>>not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing
>>science.
>
>>I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.
>
> Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a siamese cat capapable for
> howling for six months straight.
>
> You don't have to be such an asshole about it.
> Must be nice not needing sleep.

I don't mean to be an asshole, I just wonder why you won't train your cat to
stay inside. He will howl for a while, then he will stop. They are
trainable. And he is safer inside, anyway. You suffer through the time he is
making the transition, then you don't have a problem. If he howls, confine
him to a room farthest from where you sleep, and sleep with a large HEPA
filter by the head of your bed. You won't be able to hear him, unless you
live in an 800 square foot apartment.

(By the way, I have lived with a loudmouthed Siamese. We had a female as a
child. They really are a thing apart, vocally.)

DWMeowMix
August 27th 08, 07:12 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

> Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour
> after
> coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
> howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle
> of
> the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until
> I got
> up at 6:30am.
>
> Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go
> out
> until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.

It IS a battle of the wills. My Waco's father was about 3/4 feral and
Waco's temperment is just like his! You can't give in. Waco now knows his
limitations. Like someone else said...they ARE trainable you just have to
be more stubborn than them! I won't yank your chain and say life is
perfect...it's not. He still occasionally has to be reminded by the squirt
bottle who's boss but we don't go round and round and round anymore.
Usually one squirt is enough to remind him. :-)

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 27th 08, 07:45 PM
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:12:17 -0600, DWMeowMix > wrote:

>It IS a battle of the wills. My Waco's father was about 3/4 feral and
>Waco's temperment is just like his! You can't give in. Waco now knows his
>limitations. Like someone else said...they ARE trainable you just have to
>be more stubborn than them! I won't yank your chain and say life is
>perfect...it's not. He still occasionally has to be reminded by the squirt
>bottle who's boss but we don't go round and round and round anymore.
>Usually one squirt is enough to remind him. :-)

Squirts don't help. He does his pacing around the room and house and simply
sprints past when he sees me reach for a squirt bottle. It never causes him to
shut up; rather the opposite. He'll get even more excited and noisy.

Mongo has his good times and bad times. He is unbelieably stubborn. He
is very very very slowly learning that I go through a sequence of warnings
ranging from "settle down." to "dungeon!" and if he howls for a whole hour,
he will get a timeout. If he howls for 30 minutes in the middle of the night
he gets a timeout for the rest of the night.

This war has been going on for 2 and a half months now. Only in the last week
has he had any periods when he is a nice cat. He has zero interest in playing,
but he's very affectionate and I greet him, pet him, rub his back, neck and
tummy every time I walk by.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 07:56 PM
In article >,
AZ Nomad > wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:12:17 -0600, DWMeowMix > wrote:
>
>>It IS a battle of the wills. My Waco's father was about 3/4 feral and
>>Waco's temperment is just like his! You can't give in. Waco now knows his
>>limitations. Like someone else said...they ARE trainable you just have to
>>be more stubborn than them! I won't yank your chain and say life is
>>perfect...it's not. He still occasionally has to be reminded by the squirt
>>bottle who's boss but we don't go round and round and round anymore.
>>Usually one squirt is enough to remind him. :-)
>
>Squirts don't help. He does his pacing around the room and house and simply
>sprints past when he sees me reach for a squirt bottle. It never causes him to
>shut up; rather the opposite. He'll get even more excited and noisy.
>
>Mongo has his good times and bad times. He is unbelieably stubborn. He
>is very very very slowly learning that I go through a sequence of warnings
>ranging from "settle down." to "dungeon!" and if he howls for a whole hour,
>he will get a timeout. If he howls for 30 minutes in the middle of the night
>he gets a timeout for the rest of the night.
>
>This war has been going on for 2 and a half months now. Only in the last week
>has he had any periods when he is a nice cat. He has zero interest in playing,
>but he's very affectionate and I greet him, pet him, rub his back, neck and
>tummy every time I walk by.

Try picking him up and petting him when he gets noisy.

Can't make things much worse from your description.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
August 27th 08, 08:11 PM
On 27 Aug 2008 18:56:46 GMT, Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>Try picking him up and petting him when he gets noisy.
Done that. Sometimes it helps.
He's the kind of a ******* who'd howl for attention if he thought it would
work.

He used to attack a room-mates kitty when he wanted to go outside. He learned
that we'd let him outside to separate the two. So many mistakes made.

>Can't make things much worse from your description.

I try to reward him most when he's calm.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 08:15 PM
In article >,
AZ Nomad > wrote:
>On 27 Aug 2008 18:56:46 GMT, Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>>Try picking him up and petting him when he gets noisy.
>Done that. Sometimes it helps.
>He's the kind of a ******* who'd howl for attention if he thought it would
>work.
>
>He used to attack a room-mates kitty when he wanted to go outside. He learned
>that we'd let him outside to separate the two. So many mistakes made.
>
>>Can't make things much worse from your description.
>
>I try to reward him most when he's calm.

Makes sense.

T[_4_]
August 29th 08, 09:21 PM
In article >,
says...
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:26:31 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>
> >"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:41:08 -0500, AZ Nomad

> >> Last night I simply had to get some sleep. Mongo started howling an hour
> >> after
> >> coming inside, so he got the dungeon at 6pm. for 40 minutes. When he was
> >> howling at 8pm, he got the dungeon all night, until I got up in the middle
> >> of
> >> the night at at 3:30 am and released him. He came to bed and slept until
> >> I got
> >> up at 6:30am.
> >>
> >> Now he's fine. I opened the pet door at the usual 8am, but he didn't go
> >> out
> >> until after 9am. In the meantime, he was all affectionate and friendly.
> >>

> >The simple answer is, don't let your cats outside. After a while, they will
> >not howl to go out. Been there, done that. It's not rocket ****ing science.
>
> >I'd hate to see how you geniuses face real problems. Jesus.
>
> Spoken like somebody who doesn't have a siamese cat capapable for
> howling for six months straight.
>
> You don't have to be such an asshole about it.
> Must be nice not needing sleep.

I've had two very vocal cats in my lifetime. My first was Randy the
tuxedo cat. He was a very talkative cat but not annoyingly so.

Angie on the other hand, she's a complainer.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 1st 08, 03:21 AM
Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:

Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
more than a few minutes.

He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
his emotional state. Does he need medication?

I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
rid of him or 2) let him go feral.

Matthew[_3_]
September 1st 08, 03:53 AM
get a no bark collar like they use on dogs if you can't figure a way to
stop him

I am sure I would have used my super soaker by now

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
> who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:
>
> Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
> function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
> that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
> more than a few minutes.
>
> He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
> his emotional state. Does he need medication?
>
> I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
> rid of him or 2) let him go feral.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 1st 08, 04:41 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:53:27 -0400, Matthew > wrote:
>get a no bark collar like they use on dogs if you can't figure a way to
>stop him

Normally you'd be killfiled, but I did a view all just to see if there
was any advice at all.

You're a successful troll; I had to responsd.

Your advice sucks. Collars of any sort simply don't work on cats.
Shock collars are an insanely nasty varient. A cat will never remember
why you hit the button; a cat will only remember that you're an
asshole.

The only objective of my so far pointless war was to not have a feral
cat who only comes in to eat.

Right now I think the only solution is to let him out at night when I
go to bed.

I'm most vulnerable to his howling at sleeptime and he's obstinately
nocturnal.

cybercat
September 1st 08, 05:22 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
> who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:
>
> Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
> function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
> that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
> more than a few minutes.
>
> He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
> his emotional state. Does he need medication?
>
> I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
> rid of him or 2) let him go feral.

Nonsense. You can keep him in. Stop wasting our time.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 1st 08, 05:50 AM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:22:09 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
>> who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:
>>
>> Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
>> function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
>> that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
>> more than a few minutes.
>>
>> He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
>> his emotional state. Does he need medication?
>>
>> I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
>> rid of him or 2) let him go feral.

>Nonsense. You can keep him in. Stop wasting our time.

And he'll keep me from sleeping.
If you haven't anything helpful, why won't you kindly shut the **** up.

Matthew[_3_]
September 1st 08, 06:48 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
>> who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:
>>
>> Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
>> function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
>> that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
>> more than a few minutes.
>>
>> He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
>> his emotional state. Does he need medication?
>>
>> I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
>> rid of him or 2) let him go feral.
>
> Nonsense. You can keep him in. Stop wasting our time.
He is POS cyber no one to ****ing care about

cybercat
September 1st 08, 07:08 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:22:09 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
>
>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
>>> who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:
>>>
>>> Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
>>> function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
>>> that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
>>> more than a few minutes.
>>>
>>> He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
>>> his emotional state. Does he need medication?
>>>
>>> I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
>>> rid of him or 2) let him go feral.
>
>>Nonsense. You can keep him in. Stop wasting our time.
>
> And he'll keep me from sleeping.
> If you haven't anything helpful, why won't you kindly shut the **** up.

I have already told you exactly how to keep him in and keep him from keeping
you awake.

You don't want a solution, you want everyone to think this cat is going to
lose his home. This is called trolling.

HTH.

cybercat
September 1st 08, 07:11 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
> When he gets hurts don't whine to the group

He won't. He doesn't care. The only thing that matters is his sleep, and he
is too stupid to confine the cat at night in a distant room and either use
ear plugs or a large HEPA by the head of his bed or both until the cat
adapts. And they do adapt. is a complete moron and an
irresponsible cat owner.

:D

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 02:45 PM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:21:59 -0500, AZ Nomad > wrote:
>Some things I've learned while at war w/ a loud mouthed siamese kitty
>who likes nothing more than be outside almost all of the time:

>Negative reinforcement doesn't work. His howling is basicaly a
>function of how excited he is. Telling him to shut up or warning him
>that he's going to get "the dungeon" rarely works and never works for
>more than a few minutes.

>He's a smart kitty, but dumb as a rock when it comes to controlling
>his emotional state. Does he need medication?

>I'm getting really tired of this. I see only two conclusions: 1) get
>rid of him or 2) let him go feral.

We seem to have reached an impass. He's stopped his howling and we're
getting to be buddies again.

I've had to learn to let him do a little bit of howling, even his
temper tantrum gargling howling and now the fits pass quickly.
Telling him to shut up just prolongs his excitation. He's now gone two
nights without having to get locked up in the "dungeon".

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 02:47 PM
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:43:34 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>I don't mean to be an asshole, I just wonder why you won't train your cat to
>stay inside. He will howl for a while, then he will stop. They are
>trainable. And he is safer inside, anyway. You suffer through the time he is
>making the transition, then you don't have a problem. If he howls, confine
>him to a room farthest from where you sleep, and sleep with a large HEPA
>filter by the head of your bed. You won't be able to hear him, unless you
>live in an 800 square foot apartment.

>(By the way, I have lived with a loudmouthed Siamese. We had a female as a
>child. They really are a thing apart, vocally.)

This was going on since 6/16. He has kept me from sleeping 3 hours in
a row nearly the whole time. But I think I see the light at the end
of the tunnel and it isn't an oncoming train.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 04:44 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:53:27 -0400, Matthew
> > wrote:
>>get a no bark collar like they use on dogs if you can't figure a way to
>>stop him
>
> Normally you'd be killfiled, but I did a view all just to see if there
> was any advice at all.
>
> You're a successful troll; I had to responsd.
>
> Your advice sucks. Collars of any sort simply don't work on cats.
> Shock collars are an insanely nasty varient. A cat will never remember
> why you hit the button; a cat will only remember that you're an
> asshole.

The no-bark collars I've seen don't use an electric shock. There is one
that sprays a bit of water onto the dog's chin when it is activated by him
barking. The "shock" of the spritz of water is enough to interrupt his
barking for a few seconds. Eventually they come to associate the spray with
the barking and quit barking. I think this type might be especially
successful, however I don't know if they would "activate" to a meow as well
as a bark.

> The only objective of my so far pointless war was to not have a feral
> cat who only comes in to eat.
>
> Right now I think the only solution is to let him out at night when I
> go to bed.
>
> I'm most vulnerable to his howling at sleeptime and he's obstinately
> nocturnal.

How many times do you have to be told to house him in the farthest room of
your home at night and use a "white noise" generator that will cover his
meowing and let you sleep? If you *never* let him out he will eventually
quit crying to be let out. If you continue to allow him out some of the
time he will *always* cry to be let out.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cat Protector
September 2nd 08, 04:47 PM
Never argue with a cat. You'll lose every time. When my cats meow, I ask
"how high?"

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>
> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
> time to eat.
>
> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
> were ready to strangle him.
>
> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>
> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
> without being awakened.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 05:00 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:44:40 -0500, CatNipped > wrote:
>How many times do you have to be told to house him in the farthest room of
>your home at night and use a "white noise" generator that will cover his
>meowing and let you sleep? If you *never* let him out he will eventually
>quit crying to be let out. If you continue to allow him out some of the
>time he will *always* cry to be let out.

He is such a howler, that the only way to block his yowls is to have him
in a kenel under two heavy comforters. He doesn't have a litterbox in there
and if I have him in for more than a couple of hours, there's a chance of he
having to pee himself.

It is inhumane and is why I don't like the current situation.

So far after nearly three months, he hasn't gone 3 days without an AM tantrum.

He's smart and can take care of himself outside. It's a quality of life issue
for both of us and I current think the best solution might be to let him out at
night.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 05:01 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:47:34 -0700, Cat Protector > wrote:
>Never argue with a cat. You'll lose every time. When my cats meow, I ask
>"how high?"

Mongo knows he's the boss.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 06:13 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:44:40 -0500, CatNipped
> > wrote:
>>How many times do you have to be told to house him in the farthest room of
>>your home at night and use a "white noise" generator that will cover his
>>meowing and let you sleep? If you *never* let him out he will eventually
>>quit crying to be let out. If you continue to allow him out some of the
>>time he will *always* cry to be let out.
>
> He is such a howler, that the only way to block his yowls is to have him
> in a kenel under two heavy comforters. He doesn't have a litterbox in
> there
> and if I have him in for more than a couple of hours, there's a chance of
> he
> having to pee himself.

When Archer broke his leg and wasn't allowed to jump on anything - even
windowsills - we bought a large dog kennel from PetsMart (it cost about
$125). It was large enough to fit a covered litter box, a cat bed, and his
food and water dishes along with quite a few toys. You could still cover
that with comforters while you sleep - however, I think a "white noise
generator" would cover any howls even if you didn't cover it, as long as it
was far enough away from your bedroom.

> It is inhumane and is why I don't like the current situation.
>
> So far after nearly three months, he hasn't gone 3 days without an AM
> tantrum.
>
> He's smart and can take care of himself outside. It's a quality of life
> issue
> for both of us and I current think the best solution might be to let him
> out at
> night.

If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say to
stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being hit
by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to read
about preventable harm being done to a cat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 07:16 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped > wrote:
>If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say to
>stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being hit
>by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to read
>about preventable harm being done to a cat.

I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go nearly
100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but when
it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we just
give in to his demands.

cybercat
September 2nd 08, 07:31 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Never argue with a cat. You'll lose every time. When my cats meow, I ask
> "how high?"

Nonsense. Do you allow your cats out into harm's way? Particularly when you
can see that it is resulting in behavior (like loud vocalizing when they
want out) that you cannot live with?

Because AZ is stupid, this cat will be homeless soon. But hell, he is almost
homeless now. If anyone knows where this asshole is, call animal control.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 07:46 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:31:39 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Never argue with a cat. You'll lose every time. When my cats meow, I ask
>> "how high?"
>>

>Nonsense. Do you allow your cats out into harm's way? Particularly when you
>can see that it is resulting in behavior (like loud vocalizing when they
>want out) that you cannot live with?

>Because AZ is stupid, this cat will be homeless soon. But hell, he is almost
>homeless now. If anyone knows where this asshole is, call animal control.

You're such an asshole. The cat is 8 years old. He can take care of himself.

Cat Protector
September 2nd 08, 08:17 PM
That wasn't what I was saying. Just merely commenting on something else that
was said.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Nonsense. Do you allow your cats out into harm's way? Particularly when
> you can see that it is resulting in behavior (like loud vocalizing when
> they want out) that you cannot live with?
>
> Because AZ is stupid, this cat will be homeless soon. But hell, he is
> almost homeless now. If anyone knows where this asshole is, call animal
> control.

Cat Protector
September 2nd 08, 08:19 PM
Actually, the cat shouldn't be allowed to roam outside. He could get hit by
a car, get in fights with other cats, or get picked up by an animal abuser.
My cats strictly indoors. The only time they go out is on the back patio
which is enclosed and I'm there to watch.

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> You're such an asshole. The cat is 8 years old. He can take care of
> himself.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 08:35 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped
> > wrote:
>>If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say to
>>stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being
>>hit
>>by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to
>>read
>>about preventable harm being done to a cat.
>
> I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go
> nearly
> 100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but when
> it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we
> just
> give in to his demands.

Please tell me you don't have children!

Hugs,

CatNipped

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 08:43 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:17:08 -0700, Cat Protector > wrote:
>That wasn't what I was saying. Just merely commenting on something else that
>was said.

I'm getting the opinion that cybercat is a psychopath, barely
different than the crazies in PETA.

Cybercat thinks that a vermont barn cat is exposed to exactly the same
dangers as a cat living under a NYC highway overpass. Cybercat is
incapable of realizing that a cat sleeping 24 hours a day on a couch
lives a lower quality of life than a cat that goes out hunting.

In our town house community, I've had the HOA members and the president
thank me for ridding them of their roof rat problem. Mongo has dozens
of fans and is a well loved member of the community.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 08:57 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:35:18 -0500, CatNipped > wrote:
>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped
>> > wrote:
>>>If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say to
>>>stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being
>>>hit
>>>by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to
>>>read
>>>about preventable harm being done to a cat.
>>
>> I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go
>> nearly
>> 100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but when
>> it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we
>> just
>> give in to his demands.

>Please tell me you don't have children!

If you had children, you'd have them locked inside 100% of the time.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 10:01 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:35:18 -0500, CatNipped
> > wrote:
>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped
>>>
>>> I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go
>>> nearly
>>> 100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but
>>> when
>>> it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we
>>> just
>>> give in to his demands.
>
>>Please tell me you don't have children!
>
> If you had children, you'd have them locked inside 100% of the time.

I have children. No, they weren't locked inside 100% of the time *AFTER*
they were old enough to know about and avoid the hazards waiting for them
outside. Yes, they *were* locked inside, or closely supervised, before
then. Unfortunately, cats can't be taught like children can, they don't
have the mental capacity of humans, so there is *never* a time when they can
comprehend the dangers to them outside. What I *didn't* do was to allow my
children to go outside and play in traffic just because they "howled" at me
to do so - gee, what an awful parent I was to put my children's safety ahead
of my peace and quiet!

Hugs,

CatNipped

J a c k
September 3rd 08, 05:38 AM
AZ Nomad wrote:

> ...a cat sleeping 24 hours a day on a couch
> lives a lower quality of life than a cat that goes out hunting.

And you know this, how?

Jack

Cat Protector
September 3rd 08, 06:40 PM
There is a simple solution. Keep the cat indoors and give him plenty of cat
towers, scratching posts, food, water, toys, love, and perhaps another cat
to keep him company.

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped
> > wrote:
>>If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say to
>>stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being
>>hit
>>by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to
>>read
>>about preventable harm being done to a cat.
>
> I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go
> nearly
> 100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but when
> it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we
> just
> give in to his demands.

cybercat
September 3rd 08, 06:55 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> There is a simple solution. Keep the cat indoors and give him plenty of
> cat towers, scratching posts, food, water, toys, love, and perhaps another
> cat to keep him company.

Excellent advice, CP!

> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:13:05 -0500, CatNipped
>> > wrote:
>>>If you are determined to let him out there's noting anyone here can say
>>>stop you. Just please do me a favor and don't post here about him being
>>>hit
>>>by a car, savaged by dogs, or "disappearing" - it's very distressful to
>>>read
>>>about preventable harm being done to a cat.
>>
>> I'm actually trying to do something about a cat that has chosen to go
>> nearly
>> 100% feral. We've tried several times to reverse the situation, but when
>> it comes to the point where me or my wife are ready to strangle him, we
>> just
>> give in to his demands.

Matthew[_3_]
September 3rd 08, 07:18 PM
"J a c k" > wrote in message
. ..
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>

> > ...a cat sleeping 24 hours a day on a couch
>> lives a lower quality of life than a cat that goes out hunting.
>

> And you know this, how?
>

> Jack

He doesn't he is our resident whining troll that does stuff like this to
look for attention and to stir the group up

cybercat
September 3rd 08, 07:28 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "J a c k" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> AZ Nomad wrote:
>>

>> > ...a cat sleeping 24 hours a day on a couch
>>> lives a lower quality of life than a cat that goes out hunting.
>>

>> And you know this, how?
>>

>> Jack
>
> He doesn't he is our resident whining troll that does stuff like this to
> look for attention and to stir the group up

Somebody did some great study and found that cats who went outside slept
under a shrub or house or bench 95% of the time.

Cat Protector
September 3rd 08, 10:11 PM
I have two cats and it worked out great for us having this plan.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Excellent advice, CP!

CatNipped[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 10:13 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>>
>> "J a c k" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> And you know this, how?
>>>

>>> Jack
>>
>> He doesn't he is our resident whining troll that does stuff like this to
>> look for attention and to stir the group up
>>

> Somebody did some great study and found that cats who went outside slept
> under a shrub or house or bench 95% of the time.

LOL! A-yup. Cats need to sleep 18 hours a day no matter *where* they are!
And I have to believe that sleeping safely and peacefully inside must be
better than trying to sleep while feeling the stress of being exposed to the
dangers that outside cats face. Their other 6 hours are spent grooming,
eating, and eliminating with only about 20 minutes of vigorous activity (for
young cats). While inside cats may spend that 20 minutes playing with their
toys, chasing companion cats or climbing cat trees, it's likely that outside
cats may need to spend that time running for their lives from dogs!

Hugs,

CatNipped

T[_4_]
September 4th 08, 01:54 AM
In article >,
says...
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:53:27 -0400, Matthew
> > > wrote:
> >>get a no bark collar like they use on dogs if you can't figure a way to
> >>stop him
> >
> > Normally you'd be killfiled, but I did a view all just to see if there
> > was any advice at all.
> >
> > You're a successful troll; I had to responsd.
> >
> > Your advice sucks. Collars of any sort simply don't work on cats.
> > Shock collars are an insanely nasty varient. A cat will never remember
> > why you hit the button; a cat will only remember that you're an
> > asshole.
>
> The no-bark collars I've seen don't use an electric shock. There is one
> that sprays a bit of water onto the dog's chin when it is activated by him
> barking. The "shock" of the spritz of water is enough to interrupt his
> barking for a few seconds. Eventually they come to associate the spray with
> the barking and quit barking. I think this type might be especially
> successful, however I don't know if they would "activate" to a meow as well
> as a bark.
>

> > The only objective of my so far pointless war was to not have a feral
> > cat who only comes in to eat.
> >
> > Right now I think the only solution is to let him out at night when I
> > go to bed.
> >
> > I'm most vulnerable to his howling at sleeptime and he's obstinately
> > nocturnal.
>
> How many times do you have to be told to house him in the farthest room of
> your home at night and use a "white noise" generator that will cover his
> meowing and let you sleep? If you *never* let him out he will eventually
> quit crying to be let out. If you continue to allow him out some of the
> time he will *always* cry to be let out.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Angie was a nocturnal cat when I first got her. I cured her of that by
keeping her up ALL day once and now she sleeps at night. Very easy to
break that habit.

DWMeowMix
September 4th 08, 07:59 PM
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:22:09 -0400, cybercat > wrote:
> You don't want a solution, you want everyone to think this cat is going to
> lose his home.

I tend to agree with this statement. Some very good, solid,
responsible ideas that have been proven to work have been put out
there and "Nomad" has shot every single one of them down. Getting rid
of him or letting him go feral are both highly irresponsible actions.
Pets are not tissues, they are not disposable. When you adopt you
adopt for life. Domesticated animals depend on you and it is your
responsibility to work through the problems to find a solution. At
this point I would say to Nomad, since your not listening, buy a book
and figure it out for yourself. Good luck to you.

DWMeowMix

DWMeowMix
September 4th 08, 08:15 PM
On Sep 3, 12:28*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Somebody did some great study and found that cats who went outside slept
> under a shrub or house or bench 95% of the time.

HA! Mine do. I'm lucky in that my babies are so happy and complacent
with their lives they don't even try to jump the fence. My 10 yr old
siamese has a favorite place outside that he likes to sleep. Under my
big azalia bush with his back up next to the foundation of the house.
My 15 yr old orange tabby loves to sit on the cab of my truck under
the carport. I'm very careful with my kitties and it took a LONG time
to train them not to jump the fence, but I do think that if they
weren't so spoiled and happy they'd jump the fence in a heartbeat! If
they did that, they'd be INDOOR kitties.

DWMeowMix

"DWMeowMix" > wrote in message
On Sep 3, 12:28 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> If they did that, they'd be INDOOR kitties.

That's good. My sister has cats that walk the top of the fence around her
yard but supposedly never jump it. Still makes me nervous. I love the idea
of cats enjoying the sunshine and grass and bugs and such, but grew up with
"indoor outdoor" cats in areas that were not too terribly busy, and my
earliest memories are of finding them dying after crawling under azalea
bushes after getting hit, etc.

DWMeowMix
September 4th 08, 09:19 PM
On Sep 4, 2:00*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

<snip> but grew up with
> "indoor outdoor" cats in areas that were not too terribly busy, and my
> earliest memories are of finding them dying after crawling under azalea
> bushes after getting hit, etc.

Unfortunately, I have some of those memories as well. I guess that's
why I keep such a close watch on mine now. Even if the yard is fenced
I'm still out there checking on them every 1/2 hr or so. Everyone who
knows me well thinks I'm obsessive about my furkids. I guess I am!
No shame in that! :-)

DWMeowMix and Furkids: Woody, Waco and Yotabyte

Stampir
September 11th 08, 03:13 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:35:18 -0500, CatNipped
>> > wrote:

>>>Please tell me you don't have children!
>>
>> If you had children, you'd have them locked inside 100% of the time.
>
> I have children. No, they weren't locked inside 100% of the time *AFTER*
> they were old enough to know about and avoid the hazards waiting for them
> outside. Yes, they *were* locked inside, or closely supervised, before
> then. Unfortunately, cats can't be taught like children can, they don't
> have the mental capacity of humans, so there is *never* a time when they
> can comprehend the dangers to them outside. What I *didn't* do was to
> allow my children to go outside and play in traffic just because they
> "howled" at me to do so - gee, what an awful parent I was to put my
> children's safety ahead of my peace and quiet!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

There's a silver tabby in my mom's neighborhood that has repeatedly tried
to take over her house and garage -- despite the fact she already has two
cats. He's amazingly friendly and too brave for his own good, nothing seems
to scare him, well, except Owls. I've seen him stand up to a full grown
Doberman and convince the Doberman to leave him alone. He's not feral
either! I'm always amazed that he's still alive. He's a survivor.

My mom has lost two outside cats, one to a vicious cat fight and another
to either an owl or coyote.

tension_on_the_wire
September 11th 08, 03:48 AM
On Sep 10, 7:13*pm, "Stampir" > wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

> > "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> >> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:35:18 -0500, CatNipped

> >> If you had children, you'd have them locked inside 100% of the time.
>
> > I have children. *No, they weren't locked inside 100% of the time *AFTER*
> > they were old enough to know about and avoid the hazards waiting for them
> > outside. *Yes, they *were* locked inside, or closely supervised, before
> > then. *Unfortunately, cats can't be taught like children can, they don't
> > have the mental capacity of humans, so there is *never* a time when they
> > can comprehend the dangers to them outside. *What I *didn't* do was to
> > allow my children to go outside and play in traffic just because they
> > "howled" at me to do so - gee, what an awful parent I was to put my
> > children's safety ahead of my peace and quiet!
>
> > Hugs,
>
> > CatNipped
>
> There's a silver tabby in my mom's neighborhood that has repeatedly tried
> to take over her house and garage -- despite the fact she already has two
> cats. He's amazingly friendly and too brave for his own good, nothing seems
> to scare him, well, except Owls. I've seen him stand up to a full grown
> Doberman and convince the Doberman to leave him alone. He's not feral
> either! I'm always amazed that he's still alive. He's a survivor.
>
> My mom has lost two outside cats, one to a vicious cat fight and another
> to either an owl or coyote.- Hide quoted text -

I know this link is only about a rabbit, but he is evidence that
there's hope even for feral cats out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEgNe89IzjE

--tension

CatNipped[_2_]
September 11th 08, 04:55 PM
"tension_on_the_wire" > wrote in message
On Sep 10, 7:13 pm, "Stampir" > wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

> > "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> >> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:35:18 -0500, CatNipped

> >> If you had children, you'd have them locked inside 100% of the time.
>
> > I have children. No, they weren't locked inside 100% of the time *AFTER*
> > they were old enough to know about and avoid the hazards waiting for
> > them
> > outside. Yes, they *were* locked inside, or closely supervised, before
> > then. Unfortunately, cats can't be taught like children can, they don't
> > have the mental capacity of humans, so there is *never* a time when they
> > can comprehend the dangers to them outside. What I *didn't* do was to
> > allow my children to go outside and play in traffic just because they
> > "howled" at me to do so - gee, what an awful parent I was to put my
> > children's safety ahead of my peace and quiet!
>
> > Hugs,
>
> > CatNipped
>
> There's a silver tabby in my mom's neighborhood that has repeatedly tried
> to take over her house and garage -- despite the fact she already has two
> cats. He's amazingly friendly and too brave for his own good, nothing
> seems
> to scare him, well, except Owls. I've seen him stand up to a full grown
> Doberman and convince the Doberman to leave him alone. He's not feral
> either! I'm always amazed that he's still alive. He's a survivor.
>
> My mom has lost two outside cats, one to a vicious cat fight and another
> to either an owl or coyote.- Hide quoted text -

I know this link is only about a rabbit, but he is evidence that
there's hope even for feral cats out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEgNe89IzjE

--tension

I'd seen that one before - too funny. There's also this one of a cat
chasing a bear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIgQdpZDeY

Hugs,

CatNipped

Stampir
September 12th 08, 05:37 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>
> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
> time to eat.
>
> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
> were ready to strangle him.
>
> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>
> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
> without being awakened.

Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
as recalcitrant as that siamese.

cybercat
September 12th 08, 05:45 AM
"Stampir" > wrote:

> Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
> as recalcitrant as that siamese.
It is also horse ****.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 12th 08, 06:36 AM
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:37:57 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
>> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>>
>> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
>> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
>> time to eat.
>>
>> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
>> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
>> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
>> were ready to strangle him.
>>
>> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
>> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
>> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
>> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
>> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
>> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
>> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
>> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
>> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>>
>> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
>> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
>> without being awakened.

>Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
>as recalcitrant as that siamese.

And he is still having his setbacks. He let me sleep through the night three
times in a row last week, but the last two nights he's had to be shut out in
the "dungeon", a dog carrier in a spare bedroom under two heavy comforters where
he can howl until he's ready to pass out and I won't hear it. Last night he came
in at 5pm and immediately started pacing around and howling. Into the dungeon
at 6:30pm. I let him out at 8pm and went to bed at 9. Even at 1am, he wouldn't
stop trying to work the flap on the cat door and he had to go back into the
dungeon until I got up at 6am. I think he's been thrown into the dungeon a
hundred times now since this experement starged 6/16 and he still won't calm
down. I think he needs psychiatric medication.

I ordered some feliway last week and it's been plugged in for two days. Hasn't
made the slightest difference so far.

Stampir
September 12th 08, 08:54 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:37:57 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
>>> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>>>
>>> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
>>> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
>>> time to eat.
>>>
>>> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
>>> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
>>> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
>>> were ready to strangle him.
>>>
>>> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
>>> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
>>> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
>>> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
>>> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
>>> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
>>> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
>>> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
>>> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>>>
>>> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
>>> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
>>> without being awakened.
>
>>Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
>>as recalcitrant as that siamese.
>
> And he is still having his setbacks. He let me sleep through the night
> three
> times in a row last week, but the last two nights he's had to be shut out
> in
> the "dungeon", a dog carrier in a spare bedroom under two heavy comforters
> where
> he can howl until he's ready to pass out and I won't hear it. Last night
> he came
> in at 5pm and immediately started pacing around and howling. Into the
> dungeon
> at 6:30pm. I let him out at 8pm and went to bed at 9. Even at 1am, he
> wouldn't
> stop trying to work the flap on the cat door and he had to go back into
> the
> dungeon until I got up at 6am. I think he's been thrown into the dungeon
> hundred times now since this experement starged 6/16 and he still won't
> calm
> down. I think he needs psychiatric medication.
>
> I ordered some feliway last week and it's been plugged in for two days.
> Hasn't
> made the slightest difference so far.

Is there anything wrong with him? Have you brought him to the vet? How
about a feline psychiatrist?

I've never really known a siamese cat. The ones I met didn't seem THAT
bad either.

Is he/she fixed/neutered?

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 12th 08, 02:53 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:54:24 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>Is there anything wrong with him? Have you brought him to the vet? How
>about a feline psychiatrist?
I'm not sure even such a thing exists. Last time I drugged a cat was for
travel and that was a disaster. All it did was make kitty miserable *and*
drunk.

I'm going to make him an appointment anyway. What it it's something like
hyperthryoid?

>I've never really known a siamese cat. The ones I met didn't seem THAT
>bad either.

>Is he/she fixed/neutered?
Yes.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 12th 08, 04:41 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:45:57 -0400, cybercat > wrote:

>"Stampir" > wrote:
>>
>> Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
>> as recalcitrant as that siamese.
>It is also horse ****.

Nobody asked you.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 14th 08, 06:18 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:53:46 -0500, AZ Nomad > wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:54:24 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>>Is there anything wrong with him? Have you brought him to the vet? How
>>about a feline psychiatrist?
>I'm not sure even such a thing exists. Last time I drugged a cat was for
>travel and that was a disaster. All it did was make kitty miserable *and*
>drunk.

Next day he immediately started pacing around the perimeter, howling
away and was given a timeout, in the dungeon, for 90 minutes.
Afterwards, he wouldn't shut up and I had to lock him up again at
midnight as I needed to sleep.

However, for the last two days, he's made it through the night with
getting uptight and howling. Last night, he was a perfect love and
didn't pace around at all. He'd follow me around like the good old
days and slept against a pillow on the bed in peace all night long.

I think the feliway might actually be working. I think the monster
20lb tabby I took in a year ago has been the reason he was hating to
be inside and the feliway has made him be able to relax.

Stampir
September 15th 08, 09:03 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:53:46 -0500, AZ Nomad
> > wrote:
>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:54:24 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>>>Is there anything wrong with him? Have you brought him to the vet? How
>>>about a feline psychiatrist?
>>I'm not sure even such a thing exists. Last time I drugged a cat was for
>>travel and that was a disaster. All it did was make kitty miserable *and*
>>drunk.
>
> Next day he immediately started pacing around the perimeter, howling
> away and was given a timeout, in the dungeon, for 90 minutes.
> Afterwards, he wouldn't shut up and I had to lock him up again at
> midnight as I needed to sleep.

Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.

> However, for the last two days, he's made it through the night with
> getting uptight and howling. Last night, he was a perfect love and
> didn't pace around at all. He'd follow me around like the good old
> days and slept against a pillow on the bed in peace all night long.
>
> I think the feliway might actually be working. I think the monster
> 20lb tabby I took in a year ago has been the reason he was hating to
> be inside and the feliway has made him be able to relax.

What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
yowling/howling monster cat?

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 15th 08, 12:41 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 01:03:28 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:53:46 -0500, AZ Nomad
>> > wrote:
>>>I'm not sure even such a thing exists. Last time I drugged a cat was for
>>>travel and that was a disaster. All it did was make kitty miserable *and*
>>>drunk.
>>
>> Next day he immediately started pacing around the perimeter, howling
>> away and was given a timeout, in the dungeon, for 90 minutes.
>> Afterwards, he wouldn't shut up and I had to lock him up again at
>> midnight as I needed to sleep.
>>

>Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.

>> However, for the last two days, he's made it through the night with
>> getting uptight and howling. Last night, he was a perfect love and
>> didn't pace around at all. He'd follow me around like the good old
>> days and slept against a pillow on the bed in peace all night long.
>>
>> I think the feliway might actually be working. I think the monster
>> 20lb tabby I took in a year ago has been the reason he was hating to
>> be inside and the feliway has made him be able to relax.
>>

>What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
>yowling/howling monster cat?

I have catnip available for the kitties stuffed in a knotted sock.
Mongo is usually uninterested unless it is really fresh.

Feliway is the equivelent to the smell of a loving mom-cat. It seems
to mellow the kitties out.

It is always difficult to know what is the cause and effect when one
is trying a lot of things at the same time. I've been paying a *lot*
of attention to mongo and trying not to get ****ed off at him when he
howls. He still paces around a bit and tries to claw his way out of
the cat-door, but he doesn't howl as much while he's doing it. He
seems to be a lot more content and willing to just sleep against his
pillow at night.

I'm very skeptical about new products, but I think the stuff might
actually work. Problem is that it is rather expensive.
http://catfaeries.com/feliwayfaq.html

Matthew[_3_]
September 15th 08, 12:45 PM
"Stampir" > wrote in message
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:53:46 -0500, AZ Nomad
>> > wrote:
>>>I'm not sure even such a thing exists. Last time I drugged a cat was for
>>>travel and that was a disaster. All it did was make kitty miserable
>>>*and*
>>>drunk.
>>
>> Next day he immediately started pacing around the perimeter, howling
>> away and was given a timeout, in the dungeon, for 90 minutes.
>> Afterwards, he wouldn't shut up and I had to lock him up again at
>> midnight as I needed to sleep.
>>

> Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.
>
>> However, for the last two days, he's made it through the night with
>> getting uptight and howling. Last night, he was a perfect love and
>> didn't pace around at all. He'd follow me around like the good old
>> days and slept against a pillow on the bed in peace all night long.
>>
>> I think the feliway might actually be working. I think the monster
>> 20lb tabby I took in a year ago has been the reason he was hating to
>> be inside and the feliway has made him be able to relax.
>>

> What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
> yowling/howling monster cat?
it is a airborne pheromone that calms furballs

jmc
September 15th 08, 11:49 PM
Suddenly, without warning, AZ Nomad exclaimed (9/12/2008 1:36 AM):
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:37:57 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
>>> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>>>
>>> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
>>> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
>>> time to eat.
>>>
>>> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
>>> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
>>> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
>>> were ready to strangle him.
>>>
>>> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
>>> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
>>> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
>>> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
>>> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
>>> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
>>> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
>>> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
>>> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>>>
>>> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
>>> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
>>> without being awakened.
>
>> Damn, that is ONE obnoxious feline. I've never met a feline that's
>> as recalcitrant as that siamese.
>
> And he is still having his setbacks. He let me sleep through the night three
> times in a row last week, but the last two nights he's had to be shut out in
> the "dungeon", a dog carrier in a spare bedroom under two heavy comforters where
> he can howl until he's ready to pass out and I won't hear it. Last night he came
> in at 5pm and immediately started pacing around and howling. Into the dungeon
> at 6:30pm. I let him out at 8pm and went to bed at 9. Even at 1am, he wouldn't
> stop trying to work the flap on the cat door and he had to go back into the
> dungeon until I got up at 6am. I think he's been thrown into the dungeon a
> hundred times now since this experement starged 6/16 and he still won't calm
> down. I think he needs psychiatric medication.
>
> I ordered some feliway last week and it's been plugged in for two days. Hasn't
> made the slightest difference so far.

It can take up to three months for Feliway to have any effect. I think
it takes a couple of weeks at a minimum. We've been using it here for
some months now, seems to have helped, will discontinue when this one
runs out. It has a relatively limited area of effect, so if you are
only using one, put it as close to his favorite sleeping or hanging-out
spot as you can.

jmc

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 16th 08, 01:26 AM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:49:05 -0400, jmc > wrote:

>It can take up to three months for Feliway to have any effect. I think
>it takes a couple of weeks at a minimum. We've been using it here for
>some months now, seems to have helped, will discontinue when this one
>runs out. It has a relatively limited area of effect, so if you are
>only using one, put it as close to his favorite sleeping or hanging-out
>spot as you can.

I have the difuser in the bedroom. It's was only day three when I
thought I noticed an effect. However, I'm trying to get him to settle
down to sleeping inside at night on several fronts so it is hard to
know wether or not it is working. One thing I've learned is that his
level of excitement leads to his pacing and howling. If I pretty
much ignore him at night, he's more likely to settle in and sleep.
When he goes over to the catdoor, the only thing that works is to
either ignore him, or call him over for hugs and petting.

Stampir
September 17th 08, 05:02 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:53:46 -0500, AZ Nomad
>>>
>>> Next day he immediately started pacing around the perimeter, howling
>>> away and was given a timeout, in the dungeon, for 90 minutes.
>>> Afterwards, he wouldn't shut up and I had to lock him up again at
>>> midnight as I needed to sleep.
>>>

>> Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.
>>
>>> However, for the last two days, he's made it through the night with
>>> getting uptight and howling. Last night, he was a perfect love and
>>> didn't pace around at all. He'd follow me around like the good old
>>> days and slept against a pillow on the bed in peace all night long.
>>>
>>> I think the feliway might actually be working. I think the monster
>>> 20lb tabby I took in a year ago has been the reason he was hating to
>>> be inside and the feliway has made him be able to relax.
>>>

>> What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
>> yowling/howling monster cat?
> it is a airborne pheromone that calms furballs

Can you use it to stop Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Leopards and Cougars
from attacking?

Matthew[_3_]
September 17th 08, 06:02 AM
"Stampir" > wrote in message
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...

>>> Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.

>>> What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
>>> yowling/howling monster cat?
>> it is a airborne pheromone that calms furballs
>
> Can you use it to stop Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Leopards and Cougars
> from attacking?
you can try but before you do please tell me I want to take a insurance
policy out on you ;-)

LesleyM via CatKB.com
September 17th 08, 12:48 PM
Stampir wrote:
I've seen him stand up to a full grown
>Doberman and convince the Doberman to leave him alone.

PAH! Where we used to live our next door neighbour had a Doberman and she
once knocked on our door to see if we could persuade Speedy Joe (RB) to give
her Doberman her bone back! He waltzed in and snatched it from her!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

--
Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 17th 08, 02:51 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:02:50 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

>>> Unreal. I know how loud cats can yowl too.

>>> What is feliway? Some sort of cat nip? Does cat nip work on the
>>> yowling/howling monster cat?
>> it is a airborne pheromone that calms furballs

>Can you use it to stop Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Leopards and Cougars
>from attacking?

You'd need about fifty thousand dollars worth of the stuff to affect an outdoor
area.

Petzl
September 18th 08, 10:49 AM
On Aug 25, 7:34*am, AZ Nomad > wrote:
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese *******. *
>
> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
> time to eat.
>
> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
> were ready to strangle him.
>
> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. *It feels very cruel but I
> don't know what else to do. *He would pace around the house and meow
> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. *I'd release him after a 40
> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
> up for the night. *I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>
> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
> a week without throwing a tantrum. *Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
> without being awakened.

Attention deficiet?
Try giving a friendly firm snuggle (Hug) whenever he talks to you.
This should/maybe make the cat quieter

Petzl

alanr
September 18th 08, 08:11 PM
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>
> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
> time to eat.
>
> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
> were ready to strangle him.
>
> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>
> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
> without being awakened.

Cats tend to be nocturnal. Perhaps do what Fred Flintstone did and put the
feller out for the night and leave him in for the day....
The cat can yowl while you are at work during the day and you can sleep at
night. Not purrfect by any means but sanity is a necessary item in today's
society.
Seriously, if you have a large enough yard, you may consider one of those
cat-proof fences. They're on the web. Kitty can stay out or come and go and
you are content knowing he's safe.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 18th 08, 08:58 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:11:40 GMT, alanr > wrote:

>Cats tend to be nocturnal. Perhaps do what Fred Flintstone did and put the
>feller out for the night and leave him in for the day....
That might not be a bad idea.

>The cat can yowl while you are at work during the day and you can sleep at
>night. Not purrfect by any means but sanity is a necessary item in today's
>society.
>Seriously, if you have a large enough yard, you may consider one of those
>cat-proof fences. They're on the web. Kitty can stay out or come and go and
>you are content knowing he's safe.

We don't have a large yard. It's a townhouse with a couple of patios.
The petdoor is a patio door sliding door insert. The other patio has
a regular door and puting the petdoor would take major work.

Right now he makes his escape by climbing up an 7' 4x4 pole. I've
thought of afixing some kind of plastic sheeting around the top that
would prevent his claws from sinking in. We tried afixing an inverted
elizabethan colar, but he was able to reach around it and grab its top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuFWKpw8Ro

Stampir
September 19th 08, 12:02 AM
"LesleyM via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Stampir wrote:
> I've seen him stand up to a full grown
>>Doberman and convince the Doberman to leave him alone.
>
> PAH! Where we used to live our next door neighbour had a Doberman and she
> once knocked on our door to see if we could persuade Speedy Joe (RB) to
> give
> her Doberman her bone back! He waltzed in and snatched it from her!
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
> --
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Domestic Cats like bones? I didn't know that. R U sure your cat isn't
a Mountain Lion or Lynx?

Stampir
September 19th 08, 12:05 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> ng.com...

>>> it is a airborne pheromone that calms furballs
>>
>> Can you use it to stop Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Leopards and Cougars
>> from attacking?
> you can try but before you do please tell me I want to take a insurance
> policy out on you ;-)

They have shark repellant but I guess feliway isn't really a cat repellant
anyway.

I was just curious if you could spray it at them or something and it
would calm them.

I wonder if you could use some sort of super powerful catnip on Cougars,
Jaguars, Lions, Tigers etc.? I wonder if they're even affected by it?

Stampir
September 19th 08, 12:06 AM
"zob" <[email protected] cox.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:37:57 -0700, "Stampir" > wrote:
>

>>> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
>>> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
>>> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters.
>
> Here's what you need!: ;-D
>
> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gcBmk4vnL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

A cat muzzle? Doesn't look very comfortable.

Stampir
September 19th 08, 12:09 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:11:40 GMT, alanr > wrote:
>
>>Cats tend to be nocturnal. Perhaps do what Fred Flintstone did and put the
>>feller out for the night and leave him in for the day....
> That might not be a bad idea.
>

>>The cat can yowl while you are at work during the day and you can sleep at
>>night. Not purrfect by any means but sanity is a necessary item in today's
>>society.
>>Seriously, if you have a large enough yard, you may consider one of those
>>cat-proof fences. They're on the web. Kitty can stay out or come and go
>>and
>>you are content knowing he's safe.
>
> We don't have a large yard. It's a townhouse with a couple of patios.
> The petdoor is a patio door sliding door insert. The other patio has
> a regular door and puting the petdoor would take major work.
>
> Right now he makes his escape by climbing up an 7' 4x4 pole. I've
> thought of afixing some kind of plastic sheeting around the top that
> would prevent his claws from sinking in. We tried afixing an inverted
> elizabethan colar, but he was able to reach around it and grab its top.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuFWKpw8Ro

That cat is a loud-mouthed, feline MONSTER! I always thought cats
prided themselves on being quiet!

One time, I was at my 2nd story window, on my computer and noticed
big red doing his low crawl across the roof of the house next door. I
began yelling his name and he flinched then looked at me like I was
an idiot, then I saw that he was stalking some morning doves up along
the roof line.

Matthew[_3_]
September 19th 08, 12:28 AM
"Stampir" > wrote in message
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>>
>> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> ng.com...

>>> Can you use it to stop Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Leopards and Cougars
>>> from attacking?
>> you can try but before you do please tell me I want to take a insurance
>> policy out on you ;-)
>
> They have shark repellant but I guess feliway isn't really a cat repellant
> anyway.
>
> I was just curious if you could spray it at them or something and it
> would calm them.
>
> I wonder if you could use some sort of super powerful catnip on Cougars,
> Jaguars, Lions, Tigers etc.? I wonder if they're even affected by it?
a 400 pound cat that is high that would be a bull in a china shop

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 19th 08, 12:35 AM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:06:27 -0700, Stampir > wrote:

>> Here's what you need!: ;-D
>>
>> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gcBmk4vnL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

>A cat muzzle? Doesn't look very comfortable.

Not as bad as their cat carrier.
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/Carrier.htm

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 19th 08, 12:40 AM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:09:31 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:11:40 GMT, alanr > wrote:
>>
>>>Cats tend to be nocturnal. Perhaps do what Fred Flintstone did and put the
>>>feller out for the night and leave him in for the day....
>> That might not be a bad idea.
>>

>>>The cat can yowl while you are at work during the day and you can sleep at
>>>night. Not purrfect by any means but sanity is a necessary item in today's
>>>society.
>>>Seriously, if you have a large enough yard, you may consider one of those
>>>cat-proof fences. They're on the web. Kitty can stay out or come and go
>>>and
>>>you are content knowing he's safe.
>>
>> We don't have a large yard. It's a townhouse with a couple of patios.
>> The petdoor is a patio door sliding door insert. The other patio has
>> a regular door and puting the petdoor would take major work.
>>
>> Right now he makes his escape by climbing up an 7' 4x4 pole. I've
>> thought of afixing some kind of plastic sheeting around the top that
>> would prevent his claws from sinking in. We tried afixing an inverted
>> elizabethan colar, but he was able to reach around it and grab its top.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuFWKpw8Ro

>That cat is a loud-mouthed, feline MONSTER! I always thought cats
>prided themselves on being quiet!

We have two other cats: a female persian puffball, and a enormous
(20lb) male tabby. Both will meow little pipsqueaks when they want
something, but are basically silent.

Siamese cats are very talkative, but I think mongo was inbred and is a
little insane. He'll sometimes work himself into such a lather that
he sounds like he's hyperventalating (like a gargling howl)

He's going to the vet next week.

>One time, I was at my 2nd story window, on my computer and noticed
>big red doing his low crawl across the roof of the house next door. I
>began yelling his name and he flinched then looked at me like I was
>an idiot, then I saw that he was stalking some morning doves up along
>the roof line.

Stampir
September 28th 08, 12:56 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> ng.com...

>>> you can try but before you do please tell me I want to take a
>>> insurance policy out on you ;-)
>>
>> They have shark repellant but I guess feliway isn't really a cat
>> repellant
>> anyway.
>>
>> I was just curious if you could spray it at them or something and it
>> would calm them.
>>
>> I wonder if you could use some sort of super powerful catnip on Cougars,
>> Jaguars, Lions, Tigers etc.? I wonder if they're even affected by it?
> a 400 pound cat that is high that would be a bull in a china shop

True enough, but I've never seen a cat on catnip act aggressively.

Matthew[_3_]
September 28th 08, 06:46 AM
"Stampir" > wrote in message
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>
>> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> ng.com...

>>> They have shark repellant but I guess feliway isn't really a cat
>>> repellant
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> I was just curious if you could spray it at them or something and it
>>> would calm them.
>>>
>>> I wonder if you could use some sort of super powerful catnip on Cougars,
>>> Jaguars, Lions, Tigers etc.? I wonder if they're even affected by it?
>> a 400 pound cat that is high that would be a bull in a china shop
>
> True enough, but I've never seen a cat on catnip act aggressively.
Lucky you

September 28th 08, 08:53 PM
On Sep 28, 1:46*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Stampir" > wrote in message

> > "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...

> ng.com...

> ng.com...

> >> a 400 pound cat that is high *that would be a bull in a china shop
>
> > True enough, but I've never seen a cat on catnip act aggressively.
>
> Lucky you- Hide quoted text -

Why/how does a cat get to be "99% outdoors" anyway? Why bother having
a cat, then?
You constantly call the cat a '*******'. You deserve to be awoken at
night by the '*******'.

Stampir
October 23rd 08, 04:39 AM
So is the war finally over? I hope a peace treaty was signed.

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> The last couple of months have been interesting in my relationship
> with a loudmouthed siamese *******.
>
> He has slowly over the years grown to be almost totally feral and
> before I laid down the law was only coming inside for 5 minutes at a
> time to eat.
>
> I decided that I didn't want the situation any more and have closed
> the petdoor when he comes in after 4pm and I keep it closed until dawn.
> Last time we attempted to make him an indoor cat, we gave up when we
> were ready to strangle him.
>
> He uses his tremendous mouth as a weapon and the only way I can get
> any sleep and keep him in at night is to lock him in a dog kenel in a
> spare bedroom under two heavy comforters. It feels very cruel but I
> don't know what else to do. He would pace around the house and meow
> nonstop and if he wouldn't shut up when I warned him with the word
> "dungeon!", he'd eventually got locked up. I'd release him after a 40
> minute timeout, and it did it again before midnight, he'd get locked
> up for the night. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be put on
> psychiatric medication to calm down.
>
> Finally at week 8, he is able to sleep through the night several times
> a week without throwing a tantrum. Finally I can sleep to 4:00am
> without being awakened.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
October 23rd 08, 06:06 AM
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:39:49 -0700, Stampir > wrote:
>So is the war finally over? I hope a peace treaty was signed.

Yes. I capitulated. The war was a pointless as israel's lebonese
war.

He is now indoors more than he was before, doesn't pace the house's perimeter
(like a literally caged animal), and is as happy as I've ever seen him.
From being locked inside at nights for 4 1/2 months, he learned to tolerate
the 20lb new tabby who was part of the reason mongo went nearly 100% feral.

He'll sometimes go in and out 3 times in an hour, but more often than not
will be inside for 6-8 hours at a time. He's is a purring snuggle machine
and his headbutts can knock a person down (well, almost).