PDA

View Full Version : The Furminator

LauraM[_2_]
August 27th 08, 03:01 AM
I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
like that much.

Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
I figured it would help with hairballs.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 03:13 AM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
>got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
>out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
>side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
>other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>like that much.
>
>Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
>One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
>pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>I figured it would help with hairballs.

Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator

http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg

http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg

It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
the texture of his coat a bit.

Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.

He's a drama queen when it comes to maintenance, so I
usually need to pn him down to comb him or cut his claws.

He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.

You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.

LauraM[_2_]
August 27th 08, 03:33 AM
On Aug 26, 7:13*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>
> LauraM > wrote:
> >I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. *I must say it sure
> >got a lot of hair out. *Hair was a-flyin'! *I had to get the vacuum
> >out after that. *Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. *He laid on his
> >side and purred while I brushed away. *When it was time to do the
> >other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
> >(so cute) *I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
> >like that much.
>
> >Has anyone else used this tool? *Just curious as to your impressions.
> >One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. *It sure
> >pulls out a lot of hair. *And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
> >I figured it would help with hairballs.
>
> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>
> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
> the texture of his coat a bit.
>
> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.
>
> He's a drama queen when it comes to maintenance, so I
> usually need to pn him down to comb him or cut his claws.
>
> He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.
>
> You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.

You crack me up! Those pictures are hilarious! That pile of
fur....and your Bubba's expression. Priceless!

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 03:48 AM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On Aug 26, 7:13*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> LauraM > wrote:
>> >I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. *I must say it sure
>> >got a lot of hair out. *Hair was a-flyin'! *I had to get the vacuum
>> >out after that. *Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. *He laid on his
>> >side and purred while I brushed away. *When it was time to do the
>> >other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>> >(so cute) *I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>> >like that much.
>>
>> >Has anyone else used this tool? *Just curious as to your impressions.
>> >One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. *It sure
>> >pulls out a lot of hair. *And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>> >I figured it would help with hairballs.
>>
>> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>>
>> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
>> the texture of his coat a bit.
>>
>> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
>> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.
>>
>> He's a drama queen when it comes to maintenance, so I
>> usually need to pn him down to comb him or cut his claws.
>>
>> He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.
>>
>> You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.
>
>You crack me up! Those pictures are hilarious! That pile of
>fur....and your Bubba's expression. Priceless!

Those pix are about two weeks apart...

*Two* different giant piles of fur...

Stampir
August 27th 08, 04:31 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> LauraM > wrote:
>>I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
>>got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
>>out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
>>side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
>>other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>>(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>>like that much.
>>
>>Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
>>One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
>>pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>>I figured it would help with hairballs.
>
> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>
> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
> the texture of his coat a bit.

That's one big cat. Is he a Maine Coon? Talk about the fur
flying!

> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.

He must be miserable in that heat.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 05:08 AM
In article >,
Stampir > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,
>> LauraM > wrote:
>>>I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
>>>got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
>>>out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
>>>side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
>>>other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>>>(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>>>like that much.
>>>
>>>Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
>>>One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
>>>pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>>>I figured it would help with hairballs.
>>
>> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>>
>> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
>> the texture of his coat a bit.
>>

>That's one big cat. Is he a Maine Coon? Talk about the fur
>flying!

Yeah, he's a Maine Coon.

I have him starved down to under 25 pounds.

Barely.

:^)

>> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
>> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.
>>

>He must be miserable in that heat.

He knows where the air conditioners blow cold
air and he hangs out there most of the time.

Rene S.
August 27th 08, 02:02 PM
> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
> the texture of his coat a bit.

It *seems* to change the texture because it's removing the dead, soft
undercoat, leaving the more dense top coat in place.

I love the Furminator! I use it once per week with my guys. It
continues to amaze me how much fur it removes, despite weekly
grooming. I have noticed a lot less fur around the house, on cushions,
etc.

Great product.

LauraM[_2_]
August 27th 08, 02:49 PM
On Aug 26, 9:08*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Stampir > wrote:
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> >> In article

> >> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>
> >>http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>
> >>http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>
> >> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
> >> the texture of his coat a bit.
>
> >That's one big cat. Is he a Maine Coon? Talk about the fur
> >flying!
>
> Yeah, he's a Maine Coon.
>
> I have him starved down to under 25 pounds.
>
> Barely.
>
> :^)
>

> >> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
> >> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.
>
> >He must be miserable in that heat.
>
> He knows where the air conditioners blow cold
> air and he hangs out there most of the time.- Hide quoted text -

Next time I'll take a picture of Hobbes with his piles of fur.
Fortunately he loves being brushed, as long as I stay away from his
tail.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 03:17 PM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On Aug 26, 9:08*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> Stampir > wrote:

>> >That's one big cat. Is he a Maine Coon? Talk about the fur
>> >flying!
>>
>> Yeah, he's a Maine Coon.
>>
>> I have him starved down to under 25 pounds.
>>
>> Barely.
>>
>> :^)

>> >He must be miserable in that heat.
>>
>> He knows where the air conditioners blow cold
>> air and he hangs out there most of the time.- Hide quoted text -

>Next time I'll take a picture of Hobbes with his piles of fur.
>Fortunately he loves being brushed, as long as I stay away from his
>tail.

Bubba likes being brushed, but doesn't like it when I comb him which
I have to do every couple of weeks to keep his fur from getting
mats.

When I got him from the shelter he was so matted that I had to
take him in and have his belly shaved because there was no way
to comb it out.

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 03:21 PM
In article >,
Rene S. > wrote:

>> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
>> the texture of his coat a bit.
>
>It *seems* to change the texture because it's removing the dead, soft
>undercoat, leaving the more dense top coat in place.
>
>I love the Furminator! I use it once per week with my guys. It
>continues to amaze me how much fur it removes, despite weekly
>grooming. I have noticed a lot less fur around the house, on cushions,
>etc.
>
>Great product.

It cuts some of the top coat as well on Bubba, but it's worth it
to get rid of as much extra hair as it does.

It's not as if he doesn't have plenty left afterwards.

Stampir
August 27th 08, 05:13 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Rene S. > wrote:
>>
>>> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
>>> the texture of his coat a bit.
>>
>>It *seems* to change the texture because it's removing the dead, soft
>>undercoat, leaving the more dense top coat in place.
>>
>>I love the Furminator! I use it once per week with my guys. It
>>continues to amaze me how much fur it removes, despite weekly
>>grooming. I have noticed a lot less fur around the house, on cushions,
>>etc.
>>
>>Great product.
>
> It cuts some of the top coat as well on Bubba, but it's worth it
> to get rid of as much extra hair as it does.
>
> It's not as if he doesn't have plenty left afterwards.

Just too be stupid, but, during the summer, wouldn't it be
better to just give Bubba a buzz cut? Get some barbers clippers
and cut his fur short? Less fur would keep him cooler right?

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 05:33 PM
In article >,
Stampir > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,

>>>It *seems* to change the texture because it's removing the dead, soft
>>>undercoat, leaving the more dense top coat in place.
>>>
>>>I love the Furminator! I use it once per week with my guys. It
>>>continues to amaze me how much fur it removes, despite weekly
>>>grooming. I have noticed a lot less fur around the house, on cushions,
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>Great product.
>>
>> It cuts some of the top coat as well on Bubba, but it's worth it
>> to get rid of as much extra hair as it does.
>>
>> It's not as if he doesn't have plenty left afterwards.
>
>Just too be stupid, but, during the summer, wouldn't it be
>better to just give Bubba a buzz cut? Get some barbers clippers
>and cut his fur short? Less fur would keep him cooler right?

I thought about getting him a Lion cut, but decided that I'd be
afraid to sleep in the same house with him afterwards.

Hell hath no fury like a vengeful kitty, or something...

CatNipped[_2_]
August 27th 08, 07:26 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> LauraM > wrote:
>>I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
>>got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
>>out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
>>side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
>>other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>>(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>>like that much.
>>
>>Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
>>One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
>>pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>>I figured it would help with hairballs.
>
> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>
> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>
> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
> the texture of his coat a bit.

Same here - it has a razor at the bottom of the "teeth" that cuts the hair
and makes it rough. I didn't like the way it made Sammy's coat feel so I
stopped using it. Her coat is normally silky to the touch.

> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.

DH keeps our A/C set on "deep freeze" so Sammy doesn't get too hot.

> He's a drama queen when it comes to maintenance, so I
> usually need to pn him down to comb him or cut his claws.

Gawd, so is Sammy! My other four will sit quietly for, even enjoying, their
mani-pedi and hair styling, but Sammy reacts with teeth and claws, trying
for *serious* damage. She has some matts now (she only seems to get them in
the hair on her hips). Like I did last night, I have to try to get them out
a little at a time. I have a short go with a slicker, let her go when I'm
in danger of having my hand chewed off, play with her for a while or
distract her with treats, then try again about 15 minutes later. However,
by the 4th or 5th time she catches on to what I'm going and as soon as I
approach her she lunges at me with teeth bared. I'm thinking about either
getting a tranquilizer gun or some kevlar armor.

> He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.

Sammy minds! She does *NOT* like her hair touched - I even have to pet her
sparingly or I'll get bitten.

> You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.

Of course, he's a Maine Coon - Sammy *always* prefers eating to anything
else! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 08:07 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,
>> LauraM > wrote:
>>>I just bought a Furminator brush for Hobbes today. I must say it sure
>>>got a lot of hair out. Hair was a-flyin'! I had to get the vacuum
>>>out after that. Hobbes seemed to enjoy being brushed. He laid on his
>>>side and purred while I brushed away. When it was time to do the
>>>other side, I merely rolled him over all the while he was purring.
>>>(so cute) I did stay away from his tail because I know he doesn't
>>>like that much.
>>>
>>>Has anyone else used this tool? Just curious as to your impressions.
>>>One thing I don't want to do, however, is over-groom him. It sure
>>>pulls out a lot of hair. And being that Hobbes has long, thick hair,
>>>I figured it would help with hairballs.
>>
>> Bubba's had two go rounds with the Furminator
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg
>>
>> It *does* get out a lot of hair, but seems to degrade
>> the texture of his coat a bit.
>
>Same here - it has a razor at the bottom of the "teeth" that cuts the hair
>and makes it rough. I didn't like the way it made Sammy's coat feel so I
>stopped using it. Her coat is normally silky to the touch.

Yeah. I don't really like the results either for the same reason,
but it's *so* hot I still am going to use it a few times in the summer.

His hair seems to regain it's texture after a while.

>> Since we're not doing any cat shows any time soon and since
>> it's usually ~110 degrees every day we'll put up with it.
>
>DH keeps our A/C set on "deep freeze" so Sammy doesn't get too hot.
>
>> He's a drama queen when it comes to maintenance, so I
>> usually need to pn him down to comb him or cut his claws.
>
>Gawd, so is Sammy! My other four will sit quietly for, even enjoying, their
>mani-pedi and hair styling, but Sammy reacts with teeth and claws, trying
>for *serious* damage. She has some matts now (she only seems to get them in
>the hair on her hips). Like I did last night, I have to try to get them out
>a little at a time. I have a short go with a slicker, let her go when I'm
>in danger of having my hand chewed off, play with her for a while or
>distract her with treats, then try again about 15 minutes later. However,
>by the 4th or 5th time she catches on to what I'm going and as soon as I
>approach her she lunges at me with teeth bared. I'm thinking about either
>getting a tranquilizer gun or some kevlar armor.

Or both...

From your previous posting I think kevlar to the shoulders and
an apron might just do it...

I absolutely refuse to let Bubba get matted again. He looked
*awful* when I got him and I'm too cheap to pay another $100
to get the mats cut off him again.

Have you tried using the Furminator just on the matted spots?

>> He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.
>
>Sammy minds! She does *NOT* like her hair touched - I even have to pet her
>sparingly or I'll get bitten.
>

>> You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.
>
>Of course, he's a Maine Coon - Sammy *always* prefers eating to anything
>else! ;>

We've finally just got to the point where Bubba's lost the
"I swallowed a baseball" look. Had to cut his rations and
treats quite a bit to do it but he seems to have gotten used
to it. Usually there's a bit of food left in the dish when
it's time for the refill so I don't think I'm starving him
or anything. He still begs people food whenever anyone is
eating. He was even eating steamed carrots the other day...

LauraM[_2_]
August 27th 08, 08:34 PM
On Aug 27, 12:07*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> [...]
>
> Have you tried using the Furminator just on the matted spots?
>

> >> He doesn't seem to mind the Furminator as much as the comb, though.
>
> >Sammy minds! *She does *NOT* like her hair touched - I even have to pet her
> >sparingly or I'll get bitten.
>
> >> You can see by his expression he'd rather be eating or something.
>
> >Of course, he's a Maine Coon - Sammy *always* prefers eating to anything
> >else! *;>
>
> We've finally just got to the point where Bubba's lost the
> "I swallowed a baseball" look. Had to cut his rations and
> treats quite a bit to do it but he seems to have gotten used
> to it. Usually there's a bit of food left in the dish when
> it's time for the refill so I don't think I'm starving him
> or anything. He still begs people food whenever anyone is
> eating. He was even eating steamed carrots the other day...- Hide quoted text -

Regarding the texture, I'm wondering if I should only use the
Furminator when Hobbes is going through his bi-annual heavy shedding.
Then, the rest of the time I can use the regular "rake". He's a maine
coon as well and had a huge pile of hair when I was done with him
yesterday. I can't wait to do it again so I can take a picture of him
next to his fur like Bubba. Only Hobbes will be laying there in
ecstacy because he enjoyed the brushing so much. :)

Claude V. Lucas
August 27th 08, 08:43 PM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On Aug 27, 12:07*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> CatNipped > wrote:

>> >Same here - it has a razor at the bottom of the "teeth" that cuts the hair
>> >and makes it rough. *I didn't like the way it made Sammy's coat feel so I
>> >stopped using it. *Her coat is normally silky to the touch.
>>
>> Yeah. I don't really like the results either for the same reason,
>> but it's *so* hot I still am going to use it a few times in the summer.
>>
>> His hair seems to regain it's texture after a while.

>> >DH keeps our A/C set on "deep freeze" so Sammy doesn't get too hot.

>> >Gawd, so is Sammy! *My other four will sit quietly for, even enjoying, their
>> >mani-pedi and hair styling, but Sammy reacts with teeth and claws, trying
>> >for *serious* damage. *She has some matts now (she only seems to get them in
>> >the hair on her hips). *Like I did last night, I have to try to get them out
>> >a little at a time. *I have a short go with a slicker, let her go when I'm
>> >in danger of having my hand chewed off, play with her for a while or
>> >distract her with treats, then try again about 15 minutes later. *However,
>> >by the 4th or 5th time she catches on to what I'm going and as soon as I
>> >approach her she lunges at me with teeth bared. *I'm thinking about either
>> >getting a tranquilizer gun or some kevlar armor.
>>
>> Or both...
>>
>> From your previous posting I think kevlar to the shoulders and
>> an apron might just do it...
>>
>> I absolutely refuse to let Bubba get matted again. He looked
>> *awful* when I got him and I'm too cheap to pay another $100
>> to get the mats cut off him again.
>>
>> Have you tried using the Furminator just on the matted spots?

>> >Sammy minds! *She does *NOT* like her hair touched - I even have to pet her
>> >sparingly or I'll get bitten.

>> >Of course, he's a Maine Coon - Sammy *always* prefers eating to anything
>> >else! *;>
>>
>> We've finally just got to the point where Bubba's lost the
>> "I swallowed a baseball" look. Had to cut his rations and
>> treats quite a bit to do it but he seems to have gotten used
>> to it. Usually there's a bit of food left in the dish when
>> it's time for the refill so I don't think I'm starving him
>> or anything. He still begs people food whenever anyone is
>> eating. He was even eating steamed carrots the other day...- Hide quoted text -

>Regarding the texture, I'm wondering if I should only use the
>Furminator when Hobbes is going through his bi-annual heavy shedding.
>Then, the rest of the time I can use the regular "rake". He's a maine
>coon as well and had a huge pile of hair when I was done with him
>yesterday. I can't wait to do it again so I can take a picture of him
>next to his fur like Bubba. Only Hobbes will be laying there in
>ecstacy because he enjoyed the brushing so much. :)

I don't think it causes any permanent damage or anything, but Bubba's
coat definitely loses it's smoothness after using it. I'm going to
keep using it occasionally, but carefully. I've also heard of it
causing skin damage if used too enthusiastically... YMMV.

LauraM[_2_]
August 27th 08, 09:53 PM
On Aug 27, 12:43*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> LauraM > wrote:
> >On Aug 27, 12:07*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> >> Yeah. I don't really like the results either for the same reason,
> >> but it's *so* hot I still am going to use it a few times in the summer..
>
> >> His hair seems to regain it's texture after a while.

> >> Or both...
>
> >> From your previous posting I think kevlar to the shoulders and
> >> an apron might just do it...
>
> >> I absolutely refuse to let Bubba get matted again. He looked
> >> *awful* when I got him and I'm too cheap to pay another $100
> >> to get the mats cut off him again.
>
> >> Have you tried using the Furminator just on the matted spots?

> >> We've finally just got to the point where Bubba's lost the
> >> "I swallowed a baseball" look. Had to cut his rations and
> >> treats quite a bit to do it but he seems to have gotten used
> >> to it. Usually there's a bit of food left in the dish when
> >> it's time for the refill so I don't think I'm starving him
> >> or anything. He still begs people food whenever anyone is
> >> eating. He was even eating steamed carrots the other day...- Hide quoted text -

> >Regarding the texture, I'm wondering if I should only use the
> >Furminator when Hobbes is going through his bi-annual heavy shedding.
> >Then, the rest of the time I can use the regular "rake". *He's a maine
> >coon as well and had a huge pile of hair when I was done with him
> >yesterday. *I can't wait to do it again so I can take a picture of him
> >next to his fur like Bubba. *Only Hobbes will be laying there in
> >ecstacy because he enjoyed the brushing so much. *:)
>
> I don't think it causes any permanent damage or anything, but Bubba's
> coat definitely loses it's smoothness after using it. I'm going to
> keep using it occasionally, but carefully. I've also heard of it
> causing skin damage if used too enthusiastically... YMMV.- Hide quoted text -

Damage my precious poopsy's skin? Perish the thought!! I'll brush
tenderly. :)