PDA

View Full Version : Optimum ID tags

AKT
August 28th 08, 06:00 AM
I have to get my cat a collar and tags (in addition to microchip). She
spends a few hours out side everyday and while she knows our block
well, it would be safer for her to be ID'd.

But here is what I am struggling with: The vet (@Banfield) gave us two
tags after vaccinations that she should have. They'll give us another
one after microchipping. Then there's the usual one with address and
phone. That's four tags: isn't that too much for a little animal to
carry all the time?

I was thinking if I could consolidate some of this info and cut down on
the number of tags. What would you put there and were is the best place
to get the tag?

Space being at premium, I was thinking of skipping her name (what good
that does?) and including the following:

1. Our address.
2. Our phone number(s)
3. If we cannot be reached, take her to a Banfield with their 800
number.

All comments appreciated.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
August 28th 08, 08:01 AM
In ,
AKT > typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
:
[...]

Personally I'm not a great fan of collars. Working for a rescue charity
I've heard of too many cases of injury where the collar has caught in
something. All most people here in the UK do, where a collar is used, is
to have a small tag attached to the collar with *your* name (not the
cat's) and a contact phone number.

The essential thing is to ensure the collar is a quick-release type that
will break apart if the cat gets it caught on anything.

Plus of course the most important ID, the microchip.

Ivor

Ted Davis[_3_]
August 28th 08, 02:20 PM
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:01:22 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

> The essential thing is to ensure the collar is a quick-release type that
> will break apart if the cat gets it caught on anything.

I, too, have no love for collars, but I found it necessary to color code
three nearly identical red tabbies so I could tell them apart. After much
thought and consideration of the probable attrition rate for bought
collars, I settled on a simple and very inexpensive solution that can
easily be adapted to the name and phone number text use: a strip of 1/2
inch or 1 cm elastic from the sewing notions department. The ends can be
sewn, or even stapled, together and the white elastic can be written on
with a permanent marker or some kinds of pens. Do the writing *before*
closing the ends. I spent less in their first year of losing collars
about once a month for elsatic and pens than the cost of a single
break-away collar. The cats tolerate them quite well too: they are light
weight and don't irritate their skin.

--
T.E.D. )

Spider
August 30th 08, 08:05 PM
"AKT" > wrote in message
>I have to get my cat a collar and tags (in addition to microchip). She
> spends a few hours out side everyday and while she knows our block
> well, it would be safer for her to be ID'd.
>
> But here is what I am struggling with: The vet (@Banfield) gave us two
> tags after vaccinations that she should have. They'll give us another
> one after microchipping. Then there's the usual one with address and
> phone. That's four tags: isn't that too much for a little animal to
> carry all the time?
>
> I was thinking if I could consolidate some of this info and cut down on
> the number of tags. What would you put there and were is the best place
> to get the tag?
>
> Space being at premium, I was thinking of skipping her name (what good
> that does?) and including the following:
>
> 1. Our address.
> 2. Our phone number(s)
> 3. If we cannot be reached, take her to a Banfield with their 800
> number.
>
> All comments appreciated.

When a cat is microchipped, it is not necessary for the 'chip-code tag to be
worn by the cat. All vets and the police (in the UK, at any rate) have
microchip readers and routinely 'read' lost cats in the hope of reuniting
the cat with its owner. So that's one less to worry about.

My cats are both collared and tagged - part of the agreement when taking on
a UK rescue cat. Their tags have their name and my telephone number on it,
but your name and your tel. no. is just as appropriate. The collars are
quick- release types.

I think it was Ted who mentioned the plain elastic collars, and it's a great
idea if the cats are happy with it.

Spider

Outsider
August 30th 08, 09:44 PM
"Spider" > wrote in
:

> "AKT" > wrote in message
>>I have to get my cat a collar and tags (in addition to microchip). She
>> spends a few hours out side everyday and while she knows our block
>> well, it would be safer for her to be ID'd.
>>
>> But here is what I am struggling with: The vet (@Banfield) gave us
>> two tags after vaccinations that she should have. They'll give us
>> another one after microchipping. Then there's the usual one with
>> address and phone. That's four tags: isn't that too much for a little
>> animal to carry all the time?
>>
>> I was thinking if I could consolidate some of this info and cut down
>> on the number of tags. What would you put there and were is the best
>> place to get the tag?
>>
>> Space being at premium, I was thinking of skipping her name (what
>> good that does?) and including the following:
>>
>> 1. Our address.
>> 2. Our phone number(s)
>> 3. If we cannot be reached, take her to a Banfield with their 800
>> number.
>>
>> All comments appreciated.
>

> When a cat is microchipped, it is not necessary for the 'chip-code tag
> to be worn by the cat. All vets and the police (in the UK, at any
> rate) have microchip readers and routinely 'read' lost cats in the
> hope of reuniting the cat with its owner. So that's one less to worry
> about.
>
> My cats are both collared and tagged - part of the agreement when
> taking on a UK rescue cat. Their tags have their name and my
> telephone number on it, but your name and your tel. no. is just as
> appropriate. The collars are quick- release types.
>
> I think it was Ted who mentioned the plain elastic collars, and it's a
> great idea if the cats are happy with it.
>
> Spider

How about "If you find me please take me to a vet; I have a micro-chip
and someone misses me"

I guess that is longer than you wanted :)

jmc
August 31st 08, 12:11 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Spider exclaimed (8/30/2008 3:05 PM):
> "AKT" > wrote in message
>> I have to get my cat a collar and tags (in addition to microchip). She
>> spends a few hours out side everyday and while she knows our block
>> well, it would be safer for her to be ID'd.
>>
>> But here is what I am struggling with: The vet (@Banfield) gave us two
>> tags after vaccinations that she should have. They'll give us another
>> one after microchipping. Then there's the usual one with address and
>> phone. That's four tags: isn't that too much for a little animal to
>> carry all the time?
>>
>> I was thinking if I could consolidate some of this info and cut down on
>> the number of tags. What would you put there and were is the best place
>> to get the tag?
>>
>> Space being at premium, I was thinking of skipping her name (what good
>> that does?) and including the following:
>>
>> 1. Our address.
>> 2. Our phone number(s)
>> 3. If we cannot be reached, take her to a Banfield with their 800
>> number.
>>
>> All comments appreciated.
>

> When a cat is microchipped, it is not necessary for the 'chip-code tag to be
> worn by the cat. All vets and the police (in the UK, at any rate) have
> microchip readers and routinely 'read' lost cats in the hope of reuniting
> the cat with its owner. So that's one less to worry about.
>
> My cats are both collared and tagged - part of the agreement when taking on
> a UK rescue cat. Their tags have their name and my telephone number on it,
> but your name and your tel. no. is just as appropriate. The collars are
> quick- release types.
>
> I think it was Ted who mentioned the plain elastic collars, and it's a great
> idea if the cats are happy with it.
>
> Spider

Meep's tag just has her name and her chip number - so they know she's
been chipped, and so the information can be found even if for some
reason the reader can't read the chip. Supposedly it's dangerous to put
a phone number on a pet's collar these days - nefarious types can hold
your pet to ransom or somesuch. With the chips, in the US at least it's
the company you registered your info with, that contacts the owner directly.

jmc