PDA

View Full Version : Feline Anemia

kittyluver
August 29th 08, 02:04 AM
I have a cat.1 yr old, he has been quite ill and recieving medical care as we
speak. He has anemia,and has recieved 2 transfusions, is on Epogen injections
1x week, and steroids,and a vitamin tonic. Vet thinks he might have pure red
cell aplasia. This all started out with a trip to the vet for a URI. CBC was
done, and Fel Luk test, negative, but my cat is anemic. His hct is only 12,
very low,and Im sure Im looking at another transfusion. But what i want to
know is if anyone has ever had this condition with their cat? He's my little
buddy, and one heck of a fighter thats for sure!! He was also diagnosed with
megaesophogus, his throat bulges when he breathes, scarey to watch, but not
life threatening. Thanks to antibiotics his nasal discharge has cleared, but
still has alot of nasal congestion....is there any decongestant he can have?
anybody ever heard of all these coditions my poor Charlie Boy has?? Any
opinions, comments,or info will be greatly appreciated, as I am always a
nervous wreck with my kitty, I am so worried about having to make "that
decision" to have him put down, and just watching him so sick....Thanks in
advance all.
Dawn and "CharlieBoy"

Phil P.
August 29th 08, 11:06 PM
"kittyluver" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> I have a cat.1 yr old, he has been quite ill and recieving medical care as
we
> speak. He has anemia,and has recieved 2 transfusions, is on Epogen
injections
> 1x week, and steroids,and a vitamin tonic. Vet thinks he might have pure
red
> cell aplasia. This all started out with a trip to the vet for a URI. CBC
was
> done, and Fel Luk test, negative, but my cat is anemic. His hct is only
12,
> very low,and Im sure Im looking at another transfusion. But what i want to
> know is if anyone has ever had this condition with their cat? He's my
little
> buddy, and one heck of a fighter thats for sure!! He was also diagnosed
with
> megaesophogus, his throat bulges when he breathes, scarey to watch, but
not
> life threatening. Thanks to antibiotics his nasal discharge has cleared,
but
> still has alot of nasal congestion....is there any decongestant he can
have?
> anybody ever heard of all these coditions my poor Charlie Boy has?? Any
> opinions, comments,or info will be greatly appreciated, as I am always a
> nervous wreck with my kitty, I am so worried about having to make "that
> decision" to have him put down, and just watching him so sick....Thanks in
> advance all.
> Dawn and "CharlieBoy"

I'm sorry to hear about CharlieBoy's problem. It always hurts so much more
when such a young cat is in trouble.

Did your check a blood smear for haemobartonellosis?

Best of luck,

Phil