PDA

View Full Version : FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"

Cat Protector
August 31st 08, 04:33 PM
FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"

By Nohl Rosen

Cat Galaxy

As Hurricane Gustav heads towards the United States, emergency evacuations
are happening in the area of New Orleans, Biloxi and other cities and towns
along the Gulf coast . This means that unlike Katrina, the Federal Emergency
Management Agency (better known as FEMA) is asking those who have cats and
other animals to prepare their own emergency plans for them, and not leave
them behind. Animal shelters including the Louisiana SPCA and others are
stocking up on carriers and other items to help assist those that need their
services but FEMA is advising that people who can find animals shelters to
help, to take advantage of them.

"If people have shelter resources for animals available, they should use
them. If you get separated for any reason, then make sure the animal has
proper ID or a microchip," said Tara Dunlop a FEMA spokesperson.

FEMA also stated that as part of the plan for evacuations, that some
shelters for humans may not accept animals so having a backup plan is a wise
move. For those in need of transport for themselves and their cat or other
small animal they won't get assistance from FEMA. The agency says that the
busses, planes and trains they're supplying to evacuate the people will not
allow them to take their cat, dogs or other small animals with them.

"People should not rely on emergency vehicles (used by FEMA) to transport
their animals," Dunlop added.

Meanwhile, the Humane Society of the United States is rushing to help
evacuees with their animals and has secured buses and other transportation
to help ship animals out of the areas that would be most affected by Gustav
which is growing into a Category 5 storm and is due to hit the Lousiana and
neighboring states early next week.

"Our entire animal rescue team has been put on standby to deploy at a
moment's notice if our assistance is needed. The Humane Society of the
United States has already deployed a core team of responders to begin
transporting our specially equipped disaster response vehicles and rescue
boat to the Gulf Coast," said Scotlund Haisley, senior director of Emergency
Services of the HSUS.

The Louisiana SPCA has already evacuated their animals to safer areas but
some rescue organizations like Animal Rescue of New Orleans are still
prepping to move their animals to a temporay location in nothern Lousiana,
and have stated more people are taking their four-legged family members with
them instead of leaving them behind like they did when Hurricane Katrina hit
3 years ago.

"People have been evacuating and taking their pets. Animal shelters have
been opened in northern Louisiana for those participating in city assisted
evacuations. We have not currently evacuated yet but our shelter has trucks
and people standing by if necessary," said Robin Beaulieu of Animal Rescue.

For more about Cat Galaxy check out their web site at www.catgalaxymedia.com

cybercat
August 31st 08, 05:22 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"
>

> By Nohl Rosen
>
> Cat Galaxy

[snips good article]

Excellent content, CP, and timely too. Thanks for posting.

Cat Protector
September 1st 08, 04:13 AM
Actually, there have been updates to the story. Go to www.catgalaxymedia.com
for the latest. On Monday morning, the radio station will be interviewing
someone from the Humane Society of the United States that is on the ground
in Shreveport, LA where animal rescue agencies have set up shop to help the
animals that have been evacuated from New Orleans and surrounding
communities.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"
>>

>> By Nohl Rosen
>>
>> Cat Galaxy
>>

> [snips good article]
>
> Excellent content, CP, and timely too. Thanks for posting.

Matthew[_3_]
September 1st 08, 05:09 AM
I thought the new law said that all shelters are required in an emergency to
be required to accept pets as long as they can be controlled

Hey cat protector how is your furball doing I have not kept up with the
group.

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Actually, there have been updates to the story. Go to
> www.catgalaxymedia.com for the latest. On Monday morning, the radio
> station will be interviewing someone from the Humane Society of the United
> States that is on the ground in Shreveport, LA where animal rescue
> agencies have set up shop to help the animals that have been evacuated
> from New Orleans and surrounding communities.
>

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> FEMA's Message To Cat Servants: "Take Them With You"
>>>

>>> By Nohl Rosen
>>>
>>> Cat Galaxy
>>>

>> [snips good article]
>>
>> Excellent content, CP, and timely too. Thanks for posting.

Cat Protector
September 1st 08, 06:24 AM
Actually, shelters can refuse people's animals because some think they can
just dump their animals off and leave them. That happened during Hurricanes
Rita & Katrina. One lady got into a fight with an animal rescue worker
because they couldn't take her animal as they were already filled to
capacity. FEMA's plan was supposed to include animal rescue but a lot of
times the rescues are on their own. First FEMA said people couldn't take
their cats, dogs or other small animals with them on the planes, buses, and
trains, but the Humane Society of the United States says that only two
weren't allowed due to medical reasons. The HSUS worked under the Louisiana
SPCA to help evacuate animals that were already in shelters. Today, about
100 cats were dropped off in Baton Rouge and the rest of the animals were on
their way to Shreveport. Tomorrow on Cat Galaxy's morning show the HSUS will
be giving everyone the latest news on the animal rescue efforts. I'd tune in
to find out more.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...
>I thought the new law said that all shelters are required in an emergency
>to be required to accept pets as long as they can be controlled
>
> Hey cat protector how is your furball doing I have not kept up with the
> group.
>

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Actually, there have been updates to the story. Go to
>> www.catgalaxymedia.com for the latest. On Monday morning, the radio
>> station will be interviewing someone from the Humane Society of the
>> United States that is on the ground in Shreveport, LA where animal rescue
>> agencies have set up shop to help the animals that have been evacuated
>> from New Orleans and surrounding communities.

>>> [snips good article]
>>>
>>> Excellent content, CP, and timely too. Thanks for posting.

Matthew[_3_]
September 1st 08, 06:50 AM
no I meant at a emergency evacuation shelter not an animal shelter

I would love to see some one tell me I can't bring my furballs into safety

ps you did not tell me about your furball did I miss something I hope it is
alright

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Actually, shelters can refuse people's animals because some think they can
> just dump their animals off and leave them. That happened during
> Hurricanes Rita & Katrina. One lady got into a fight with an animal rescue
> worker because they couldn't take her animal as they were already filled
> to capacity. FEMA's plan was supposed to include animal rescue but a lot
> of times the rescues are on their own. First FEMA said people couldn't
> take their cats, dogs or other small animals with them on the planes,
> buses, and trains, but the Humane Society of the United States says that
> only two weren't allowed due to medical reasons. The HSUS worked under the
> Louisiana SPCA to help evacuate animals that were already in shelters.
> Today, about 100 cats were dropped off in Baton Rouge and the rest of the
> animals were on their way to Shreveport. Tomorrow on Cat Galaxy's morning
> show the HSUS will be giving everyone the latest news on the animal rescue
> efforts. I'd tune in to find out more.
>

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>>I thought the new law said that all shelters are required in an emergency
>>to be required to accept pets as long as they can be controlled
>>
>> Hey cat protector how is your furball doing I have not kept up with the
>> group.
>>

>> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>>> Actually, there have been updates to the story. Go to
>>> www.catgalaxymedia.com for the latest. On Monday morning, the radio
>>> station will be interviewing someone from the Humane Society of the
>>> United States that is on the ground in Shreveport, LA where animal
>>> rescue agencies have set up shop to help the animals that have been
>>> evacuated from New Orleans and surrounding communities.

Cat Protector
September 1st 08, 11:42 AM
Actually, FEMA says that not all emergency evacuation shelters accepts
animals. However, the Department of Agriculture in Tennessee set one up
where you can go with your animals. Did that answer your question?

"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
> no I meant at a emergency evacuation shelter not an animal shelter
>
> I would love to see some one tell me I can't bring my furballs into safety
>

> ps you did not tell me about your furball did I miss something I hope it
> is alright
>

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Actually, shelters can refuse people's animals because some think they
>> can just dump their animals off and leave them. That happened during
>> Hurricanes Rita & Katrina. One lady got into a fight with an animal
>> rescue worker because they couldn't take her animal as they were already
>> filled to capacity. FEMA's plan was supposed to include animal rescue
>> but a lot of times the rescues are on their own. First FEMA said people
>> couldn't take their cats, dogs or other small animals with them on the
>> planes, buses, and trains, but the Humane Society of the United States
>> says that only two weren't allowed due to medical reasons. The HSUS
>> worked under the Louisiana SPCA to help evacuate animals that were
>> already in shelters. Today, about 100 cats were dropped off in Baton
>> Rouge and the rest of the animals were on their way to Shreveport.
>> Tomorrow on Cat Galaxy's morning show the HSUS will be giving everyone
>> the latest news on the animal rescue efforts. I'd tune in to find out
>> more.
>>

>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> ng.com...
>>>I thought the new law said that all shelters are required in an emergency
>>>to be required to accept pets as long as they can be controlled
>>>
>>> Hey cat protector how is your furball doing I have not kept up with the
>>> group.

-Lost
September 4th 08, 12:24 PM
Response to "Cat Protector" >:

> Did that answer your question?

Cat Protector how is your cat doing? Is YOUR cat OK? If you have
more than one are THEY OK? : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.