PDA

View Full Version : old cat with carpet

Robin
September 1st 08, 02:28 AM
Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.

Any suggestions?

Robin
September 1st 08, 05:17 AM
On Aug 31, 8:30*pm, hopitus > wrote:
> On Aug 31, 7:28 pm, Robin > wrote:
>
> > Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> > with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> > places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> > up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> > to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> If *you* don't insist on carpet in your apt., if possible research
> apts. near
> a beach or places where weather is usually warm. You will find many
> with
> not only hardwood floors, but laminate and tile of all sorts, where
> the old
> cat can have an accident now and then without you having a cow.
> People don't like digging sand out of carpets.

Great idea, but almost all the places that are reasonably priced, and
more importantly, the house we really really want, has carpets.

Judy[_3_]
September 1st 08, 05:51 AM
"Robin" > wrote in message
> Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> Any suggestions?

What is he currently using to scratch on? If you take those items with you,
he should continue to scratch on those.

dejablues[_4_]
September 1st 08, 06:26 AM
"Robin" > wrote in message
> Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hmm...what a dilemma.
Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be kinder
to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again.

Petzl
September 2nd 08, 08:39 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
wrote:

>Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
>with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
>places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
>up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
>to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
>Any suggestions?

Don't worry about it

While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
bacteria & smells

With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
carpets.

dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available.

I personally prefer steam cleaning

Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
competitive rates

The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
carpet dry and ready

If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")

Petzl

Robin
September 3rd 08, 04:55 AM
On Aug 31, 11:26*pm, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message

> > Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> > with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> > places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> > up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> > to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Hmm...what a dilemma.
> Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... *Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
> has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
> Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
> Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
> If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be kinder
> to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again..

EXCUSE ME..... I am renting. All of the places my husband was able to
find on a week's notice had carpet. I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE. Not
putting the cat down, not leaving him behind, he is MY cat.

What kind of idiot says things like that to someone asking for help.

I don't want carpet. but the fabulous AND cheap house my husband found
HAS CARPET and I'm going to have to deal with it.

SO hence, how do I keep my healthy enthusiastic 17 year old cat from
scratching it and damaging it.

Someone should put down YOUR cats.

Robin
September 3rd 08, 04:56 AM
On Aug 31, 10:51*pm, "Judy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message

> > Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> > with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> > places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> > up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> > to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> What is he currently using to scratch on? If you take those items with you,
> he should continue to scratch on those.

thank you for your sensible input.

Robin
September 3rd 08, 04:57 AM
On Sep 2, 1:39*am, Petzl > wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> >with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> >places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> >up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> >to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> >Any suggestions?
>
> Don't worry about it
>
> While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
> bacteria & smells
>
> With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
> carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
> carpets.
>
> dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available. *
>
> I personally prefer steam cleaning
>
> Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
> competitive rates
>
> The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
> soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
> carpet dry and ready
>
> If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
> water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")
>
> Petzl
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
good vacuum like you describe.

Petzl
September 3rd 08, 05:59 AM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
wrote:

>On Sep 2, 1:39*am, Petzl > wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:28:23 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
>> >with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
>> >places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
>> >up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
>> >to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>>
>> >Any suggestions?
>>
>> Don't worry about it
>>
>> While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
>> bacteria & smells
>>
>> With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
>> carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
>> carpets.
>>
>> dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available. *
>>
>> I personally prefer steam cleaning
>>
>> Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
>> competitive rates
>>
>> The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
>> soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
>> carpet dry and ready
>>
>> If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
>> water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")
>>
>> Petzl
>> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**
>
>thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
>good vacuum like you describe.

The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
These services are offered by professional cleaners
check local paper
In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)

Although your own vacuum will also be needed
Petzl

Petzl
September 3rd 08, 06:08 AM
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl > wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sep 2, 1:39*am, Petzl > wrote:

>>> Don't worry about it
>>>
>>> While many pluses with carpet, negatives are hygiene, they harbor bugs
>>> bacteria & smells
>>>
>>> With carpet (regardless of pets) you need to get them cleaned by
>>> carpet cleaners (6 monthly?) who will deodorize and steam clean
>>> carpets.
>>>
>>> dry clean versions of carpet cleaning available. *
>>>
>>> I personally prefer steam cleaning
>>>
>>> Your local paper should be full of businesses that do this at very
>>> competitive rates
>>>
>>> The one I use uses water as fast as tap delivers it heats it up with
>>> soap/detergent(?) and pumps sudsy water down drain/sewer leaving
>>> carpet dry and ready
>>>
>>> If pet/cat has accident you need paper towels then finish with mop and
>>> water (disinfectant added, I use "wool wash with Eucalyptus")
>>>
>>> Petzl
>>> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**
>>
>>thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
>>good vacuum like you describe.
>
>The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
>These services are offered by professional cleaners
>check local paper
>In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)
>
>Although your own vacuum will also be needed
>Petzl
>** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
this service
http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/

But shop around locals offer much better pricing
Petzl

CatNipped[_2_]
September 3rd 08, 03:57 PM
"Robin" > wrote in message
> Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> Any suggestions?

Bring your scratching post(s) with you and he should just continue using
them and not the carpet. If you don't have scratching posts I'd suggest
getting one (make sure it's tall enough so your cat can stretch fully and
stable enough that it won't tip over). Some cats like horizontal surfaces
to scratch on, and they're the ones more likely to scratch carpet, but there
are several nice horizontal scratching posts out there now - get whichever
kind your cat likes (at 17, I'm sure you know his preferences). If he's
never had a scratching post before, try rubbing catnip on the new post to
encourage him to use it.

Pet hair on carpet is a PITA, but I've heard the Dyson "Animal" is great for
getting it out.

I wouldn't worry about damage to the carpet, most landlords replace carpet
in their rentals every two years or so and I doubt a cat could do so much
damage that it would need replacing sooner. This expense is just one of the
requirements of being a landlord, so don't let him give you a lot of flack
over it. A pet deposit (if you're paying one) should more than cover an
damage your cat may do.

Good luck with the move!

Hugs,

CatNipped

dejablues[_4_]
September 5th 08, 04:38 AM
"Robin" > wrote in message
On Aug 31, 11:26 pm, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message

> > Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> > with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> > places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> > up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> > to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Hmm...what a dilemma.
> Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
> has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
> Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
> Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
> If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be
> kinder
> to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again.

>EXCUSE ME..... I am renting. All of the places my husband was able to
f>ind on a week's notice had carpet. I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE. Not
>putting the cat down, not leaving him behind, he is MY cat.

You are not putting your cats needs first.

>What kind of idiot says things like that to someone asking for help.>

You're the idiot. Just listen to yourself! I hope you can live with yourself
making your cats last few years a confused mess.

>I don't want carpet. but the fabulous AND cheap house my husband found
>HAS CARPET and I'm going to have to deal with it.

Keep looking. Hmm, fabulous! Cheap! Carpet! Cat! You choose.

SO hence, how do I keep my healthy enthusiastic 17 year old cat from
>scratching it and damaging it.

You can't. Your 17-year-old cat is the equivalent of an 84-year-old person.
It is cruel to expect them to change.

>Someone should put down YOUR cats.

Hahaha, asshat.

John Doe
September 5th 08, 06:41 AM
"dejablues" <dejablues comcast.net> wrote:

> "Robin" <vitalflame gmail.com> wrote in message

>>Someone should put down YOUR cats.
>
> Hahaha, asshat.

I wonder why so many trolls have

> From: "dejablues" <dejablues comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: old cat with carpet
> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:38:00 -0400

John Doe
September 5th 08, 06:48 AM
Robin > wrote:

> Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an
> apartment with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it
> seems like all the places have carpet. So what can I do to keep
> him from scratching it up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about
> putting down an area rug to protect their carpet, but not sure if
> that will help.
>
> Any suggestions?

Cats scratch things for exercise. If you give it lots of exercise
equipment, it won't excessively scratch other things. My setup is
probably considered elaborate, but there are lots of other
possibilities. Just think "scratching exercise".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2821044558/

Unfortunately, there is some debate about whether fire retarding
chemicals on carpet can lead to problems for cats, maybe
time/research will tell us about that someday.

--
I realize it's an old post, so this is for the archive.

Stampir
September 6th 08, 06:16 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT), Robin >
>>wrote:

>>>thank you very much for your sensible advice. I will be purchasing a
>>>good vacuum like you describe.
>>
>>The "Vacuums" are truck mounted.
>>These services are offered by professional cleaners
>>check local paper
>>In Sydney Australia they are not expensive (AU$40)
>>
>>Although your own vacuum will also be needed
>>Petzl
>>** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
>
> Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
> this service
> http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/
>
> But shop around locals offer much better pricing
> Petzl

Petzl, you don't post to aus.politics do you? If so, you're one of the
good people over there!

Stampir
September 6th 08, 06:18 AM
"Robin" > wrote in message
On Aug 31, 11:26 pm, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message

> > Hi there- I have a 17 year old cat who has never lived in an apartment
> > with carpet. We are moving to the East Coast and it seems like all the
> > places have carpet. So what can I do to keep him from scratching it
> > up, or worse, peeing on it. I thought about putting down an area rug
> > to protect their carpet, but not sure if that will help.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Hmm...what a dilemma.
> Old cat or carpet, old cat or carpet... Screw the ****ing carpet, your cat
> has only a few years left to live, let him do what he wants.
> Not all places on the east coat have carpet, why would you think that?
> Apparently your cat is a bother to your hardwood floors also.
> If your cat is a hindrance to your frequent moving plans, it would be
> kinder
> to put him down rather than subject him to the stress of moving yet again.

EXCUSE ME..... I am renting. All of the places my husband was able to
find on a week's notice had carpet. I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE. Not
putting the cat down, not leaving him behind, he is MY cat.

What kind of idiot says things like that to someone asking for help.

I don't want carpet. but the fabulous AND cheap house my husband found
HAS CARPET and I'm going to have to deal with it.

SO hence, how do I keep my healthy enthusiastic 17 year old cat from
scratching it and damaging it.

Someone should put down YOUR cats.

***********************8
I just wanted to say that guy/gal was way outta line jumping all over
you like that. Sometimes it seems like common courtesy is a dead concept.

Petzl
September 6th 08, 11:47 AM
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:16:52 -0700, "Stampir" > wrote:

>"Petzl" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:59:26 +1000, Petzl > wrote:
[snip]
>> Just to make things clearer here is a Sydney wide company that offers
>> this service
>> http://www.targetcarpetcleaning.com.au/
>>
>> But shop around locals offer much better pricing
>> Petzl
>>

>Petzl, you don't post to aus.politics do you? If so, you're one of the
>good people over there!

Thanks
Yes I do regularly post to "aus.politics"

Petzl