PDA

View Full Version : Cat licking sandals with Off on them

Cheryl[_4_]
September 2nd 08, 01:27 AM
Well, I was at a holiday BBQ today and the flies were horrible. I used Off
insect repellant and some of the spray I assume got on my sandals because
later on when I got home I heard this weird noise and it turned out to be
Scarlett licking my sandals! When I got home I showered to get the oily
feeling and sweat off but it never occurred to me that one of my cats would
lick my shoes. Why would she do that, and should I be worried?

--
Cheryl

Cheryl[_4_]
September 2nd 08, 03:17 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message

> I know you - more or less - and so that is why I googled Off insect
> repellent
> products....can't find out much except something flammable called
> "Deet" is
> ingredient that repels bugs. I found a paragraph warning not to let
> pets ingest
> (as IF) the product(s) and there is eye and ingestion warnings for
> hoomins.
> If I were you, I'd try calling an emergency vet (where I come from
> (Miami) in
> south FL there are an abundance of emergency vet offices, open 24/7
> for
> 365 days a year....but I don't remember where you are.
> I'd call one right away, unless you believe only vapor drifted down to
> your
> sandals....your kitty may have just been licking up some food you
> stepped in.

She seems totally fine. She was licking the top part of the sandals, not
the bottom like where some food could have been stepped in. But she seemed
sort of in rapture licking and licking. I had to put them in the closet to
get her to leave them alone. It was probably only vapor and I do have
emergency vets here, but I am not trusting of them after a couple of
incidents. If she starts vomiting of course I will but I was curious what
it could be about the scent of Off that might set her off like that. Maybe
it was food, or maybe the dogs there.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Claude V. Lucas
September 2nd 08, 03:27 AM
In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>"hopitus" > wrote in message
>

>> I know you - more or less - and so that is why I googled Off insect
>> repellent
>> products....can't find out much except something flammable called
>> "Deet" is
>> ingredient that repels bugs. I found a paragraph warning not to let
>> pets ingest
>> (as IF) the product(s) and there is eye and ingestion warnings for
>> hoomins.
>> If I were you, I'd try calling an emergency vet (where I come from
>> (Miami) in
>> south FL there are an abundance of emergency vet offices, open 24/7
>> for
>> 365 days a year....but I don't remember where you are.
>> I'd call one right away, unless you believe only vapor drifted down to
>> your
>> sandals....your kitty may have just been licking up some food you
>> stepped in.
>
>She seems totally fine. She was licking the top part of the sandals, not
>the bottom like where some food could have been stepped in. But she seemed
>sort of in rapture licking and licking. I had to put them in the closet to
>get her to leave them alone. It was probably only vapor and I do have
>emergency vets here, but I am not trusting of them after a couple of
>incidents. If she starts vomiting of course I will but I was curious what
>it could be about the scent of Off that might set her off like that. Maybe
>it was food, or maybe the dogs there.

Maybe it's *you*...

:^)

Coincidentally over the last couple of weeks Bubba has taken
to licking me a couple of times a day for no apparent reason.

I'm not sure why. Salt craving, maybe? He does it at random
times. Face, arms, legs, hands. Before or after a shower...

The worst is when he does it in the middle of the night.

Weird.

At least he's not licking my sandals, although he rests
his head against them sometimes when he's napping.

Hope your's didn't get any Deet. It's probably not good for her.