PDA

View Full Version : First time cat owner...

prickles_2005
September 2nd 08, 07:23 AM
Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
member of the family. He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
too cute for words. I just have one problem. Every morning at 6 on
the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?

I usually dont have to get up until 7, so this is a major annoyance.
Most of the time I just wake up long enough to shut him in the
bathroom (where his litterbox is). Is this proper training procedure?
I have never had anything except for dogs, so Iím not exactly sure...

Any replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/time-cat-owner-ftopict72524.html

Claude V. Lucas
September 2nd 08, 08:25 AM
In article <[email protected] com>,
prickles_2005 > wrote:
>Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
>member of the family. He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
>too cute for words. I just have one problem. Every morning at 6 on
>the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
>biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
>is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
>regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?

Many, if not all cats rise with the sun.

Your new friend wants to eat and/or play.

Possibly a well stocked food dish will stop him from waking you
up, maybe not if he's after a playmate rather than a meal.

Bubba, the Maine Coon reminds me every morning at dawn that
the empty dish in the kitchen is not acceptable. I have to ration
his food or else he'd be one of those "world's fattest cats" on TV.

If I try to ignore him, he licks my eyelids which he knows I can't ignore.

It's part of the joy of feline companionship.

I probably wouldn't do it to a kitten, but if it *really* bothered me and
the cat was full grown I'd close the bedroom door so they couldn't get in.

Rene S.
September 2nd 08, 04:53 PM
*Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
> regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?

Yes. Cats have amazing internal clocks. What you're doing is fine--
just shut him in there. Don't talk to him, etc. Just be matter of
fact.

The key is, when you get up, do NOT feed him immediately. Take a
shower, etc. and then feed him. Do the same thing when you get home
from work. Eat supper, etc. THEN feed him. This will teach him that he
can't associate you waking up (or coming home) with food. It might
take a little time, but he will learn. And you'll be able to sleep in
until your alarm goes off.

CatNipped[_2_]
September 2nd 08, 05:42 PM
"prickles_2005" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] rumz.com...
> Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
> member of the family. He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
> too cute for words. I just have one problem. Every morning at 6 on
> the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
> biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
> is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
> regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?
>
> I usually dont have to get up until 7, so this is a major annoyance.
> Most of the time I just wake up long enough to shut him in the
> bathroom (where his litterbox is). Is this proper training procedure?
> I have never had anything except for dogs, so I'm not exactly sure...
>

> Any replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Cats are crepuscular - which means they're most active at dawn and dusk.
You can't "train" him to be less active at that time, but he may calm down
as he gets older. Do you feed him as soon as you get up? I put a small
bowl of dry food out when mine get their evening meal of canned - this
usually keeps them satisfied on the weekends when I don't get up at 6 to
feed them their morning meal of canned.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com
> interface
> Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/time-cat-owner-ftopict72524.html

Matthew[_3_]
September 2nd 08, 07:59 PM
one thing I have learned about cats and sleep

You got two choices one allow them in your bedroom when you sleep or close
your door maybe confine them to a certain part of the house

I choose to allow the in my bedroom there is something about them sleeping
in your arms purring away and peter pattering your arm telling you that
they love you Maybe sleeping on your back purring in your ear or keeping
your legs warm.

Mine know they can wake me up at any time for loving a treat or some
scrtiches. I call this being a good cat slave to me losing a few minutes of
sleep is worth there the loss

"prickles_2005" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] rumz.com...
> Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
> member of the family. He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
> too cute for words. I just have one problem. Every morning at 6 on
> the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
> biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
> is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
> regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?
>
> I usually dont have to get up until 7, so this is a major annoyance.
> Most of the time I just wake up long enough to shut him in the
> bathroom (where his litterbox is). Is this proper training procedure?
> I have never had anything except for dogs, so I'm not exactly sure...
>

> Any replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com
> interface
> Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/time-cat-owner-ftopict72524.html

James
September 2nd 08, 10:31 PM
On Sep 2, 2:23*am, prickles_2005 > wrote:
> Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
> member of the family. *He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
> too cute for words. * *I just have one problem. *Every morning at 6 on
> the dot, my kitten wakes me up. *Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
> biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
> is extremely noisy as well. *Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
> regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?
>
> I usually dont have to get up until 7, so this is a major annoyance.
> Most of the time I just wake up long enough to shut him in the
> bathroom (where his litterbox is). *Is this proper training procedure?
> *I have never had anything except for dogs, so Iím not exactly sure....
>
> Any replies will be greatly appreciated! *Thanks...
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using moderatedhttp://www.PetForumz.cominterface
> Thread archive:http://www.PetForumz.com/time-cat-owner-ftopict72524.html

My pussy used to try to wake me including diving 3' on to me. My
being too tired to wake up finally put a stop to it. Now if she jumps
around she avoids stepping on me and waits till I get up. Of course
she's probably full grown now and don't need to bounce around like
crazy.

Stan Brown
September 3rd 08, 01:00 AM
Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:23:13 -0500 from prickles_2005 >:
> Every morning at 6 on the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by
> batting, pouncing and biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes
> with the blinds, which is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for
> a cat to wake up so regularly? Or will this pass with his
> kittenhood?

Every cat is different, but it is quite common for them to be most
active around dawn. The good news is that in the wintertime that's
after 7 AM.

Milo wakes me around 6 AM now (or he would if I weren't already awake
most days). This is an improvement from the beginning of July, when
days were longer and he was charging around the house at 4:30.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

barb
September 3rd 08, 06:17 PM
You might try ignoring the little kitten and pretend to be sleeping until 7.
My way is just to roll with the punches and get up when the fur babies say
it's time. Getting up earlier has its advantages.

Barb

honeybunch
September 3rd 08, 10:31 PM
On Sep 3, 1:17*pm, "Barb" > wrote:
> You might try ignoring the little kitten and pretend to be sleeping until 7.
> My way is just to roll with the punches and get up when the fur babies say
> it's time. *Getting up earlier has its advantages.
>
> Barb

dang...You have to know cats are by nature crepuscular.

T[_4_]
September 4th 08, 01:58 AM
In article >,
says...
> Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:23:13 -0500 from prickles_2005 >:
> > Every morning at 6 on the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by
> > batting, pouncing and biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes
> > with the blinds, which is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for
> > a cat to wake up so regularly? Or will this pass with his
> > kittenhood?
>
> Every cat is different, but it is quite common for them to be most
> active around dawn. The good news is that in the wintertime that's
> after 7 AM.
>
> Milo wakes me around 6 AM now (or he would if I weren't already awake
> most days). This is an improvement from the beginning of July, when
> days were longer and he was charging around the house at 4:30.

My schedule is such that I'm now awake before sunrise. It compltely
messes with Angie's schedule. Today I got to work from home and she was
a complete attention hound.

ReillyNCalleigh
September 5th 08, 07:40 AM
[...]

Wow, your kitten is starting at 6am? Consider yourself lucky, I would love if my kitten would wait til 6! I have been exhausted for the passed 3 months because she was starting her shenanigans at around 3:00am but she's been getting better lately and doesn't start til about 4:30 or 5am. What I have noticed that helps is trying to play more at night before bedtime and not letting her nap too much before then also. This way she's tired enough to sleep longer. She still hasn't quite learned that pouncing on me in the middle of the night is a no no but she'll get there. My adult cat used to do the same things as a kitten and now he gets up around 5am but doesn't even wake me, he goes downstairs and hunts birds in the windows and chases all of his fuzzy toy mice under the couch.

Stampir
September 6th 08, 06:12 AM
"James" > wrote in message
On Sep 2, 2:23 am, prickles_2005 > wrote:
> Just got a new kitten...my dog is finally starting to accept him as a
> member of the family. He is extremely energetic and extremely cuddly,
> too cute for words. I just have one problem. Every morning at 6 on
> the dot, my kitten wakes me up. Mainly its by batting, pouncing and
> biting my feet...but sometimes he just messes with the blinds, which
> is extremely noisy as well. Is it normal for a cat to wake up so
> regularly? Or will this pass with his kittenhood?
>
> I usually dont have to get up until 7, so this is a major annoyance.
> Most of the time I just wake up long enough to shut him in the
> bathroom (where his litterbox is). Is this proper training procedure?
> I have never had anything except for dogs, so Iím not exactly sure...
>
> Any replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using
> moderatedhttp://www.PetForumz.cominterface
> Thread archive:http://www.PetForumz.com/time-cat-owner-ftopict72524.html

My pussy used to try to wake me including diving 3' on to me. My
being too tired to wake up finally put a stop to it. Now if she jumps
around she avoids stepping on me and waits till I get up. Of course
she's probably full grown now and don't need to bounce around like
crazy.

I've been similarly dive bombed. It's a great way to wake up -- better
than any alarm clock!

I can't sleep w/Big Red in my bedroom -- especially w/the windows open.
If the windows are open, he'll hear something interesting, go check it out
for a while, then dive bomb me -- all 23 pounds of reddish orange tabby!