PDA

View Full Version : change of litter brand - cud it lead to UTI?

val189
September 4th 08, 07:39 PM
Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
been straining and not peeing very much.

Thanks
(Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)

cshenk
September 4th 08, 07:59 PM
"val189" wrote

> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.

While there is a problem obviously, it's not apt to be the actual cat
*litter*. Bowel obstruction (constipation?) comes to mind. Change in diet
may have accompanied cheaper litter?

If the cat isnt drinking much, it will pee less. Some cats seem to get most
of their water from wet food eating. Mine gets it from both wet food, fresh
water, and a daily dose of various salt-free (or very salt low) broths.

Today's diet for her was a 3oz portion of wet food (pedigree this time, beef
with liver) in the morning (rest of can tonight), and 3 TB of dashi (dipped
out before I added the miso for the rest of us for our breakfast). I dont
know how much fresh water she drinks because she and Cash-pup share both the
bowl in the back room and the 'feeder bottle' in the kitchen. I can only
say it holds about 1G and when we stick the one in the dishwasher and pull
out the clean one, there is about 1/2g left. Mostly Cash-pup but she loves
to use his water-feeder now and will mostly ignore her old water bowl.

Oh, she gets only 2 TB or so of dry kibble at this stage, per day. She eats
about 1 TB of it and the rest tends to land in Cash-pup's tummy.

DWMeowMix
September 4th 08, 08:38 PM
On Sep 4, 12:39*pm, val189 > wrote:
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? *Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. *He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.
>
> Thanks
> (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)

Very well could be. Clay based litters create a lot of dust and since
kitties are so close to the source with their scratching around, the
dust ends up clogging their plumbing, so to speak. Males are much
more susceptible to this than females. If your friend is looking for
a cheaper littler, have her transition her kitty over to a wood based
litter. No dust, no smell, much more absorbant, and it's an all
natural, not chemically treated, organic, renewable resource (you can
also compost it if that's an option for you). I use wood stove
pellets myself. 40 lb bag costs about $4.00 and lasts MUCH longer
than anything you can buy in the grocery store.

AND I agree...change the kitty over to a high quality diet. What you
save in cat litter can pay for premium food. I'll read up and see
what I find about treating UTI's naturally.

DWMeowMix

dejablues[_4_]
September 5th 08, 03:18 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.

Cat litter does not cause UTI's. UTI's in cats are pretty random. They are
more common in males. Some say diet is a factor, some say genetics, but as
my vet said , you can never really know. Some cats get them, some don't .
<shrug>

If a cat is straining to pee and nothing is coming out, that is a serious
matter. It can get very deadly, very fast. Cat's will also lick themselves -
frequent genital licking is often the first sign of urinary problems.
A vet can do a dipstick on a urine sample and give the results almost
immediately, telling you if the urine contains blood, lymphocytes, or the pH
is off. Testing for stones and crystals might take a bit longer. A cat's
bladder is sometimes hard to feel, it can ride way up in the pelvis and
appear empty when it really isn't. If the bladder is full enough to feel,
the cat has to be in distress.

I'm over 2K poorer (no regrets!) because of a cat's urinary tract issues.
It is not anything to mess with Your friends cat needs another vet visit,
or a better vet.

Cat Protector
September 5th 08, 04:56 AM
No. UTI's usually happen because of diet. If your cat is straining and
nothing is coming out, it could be a blockage or the cat is urinating in
areas around the house. That usually happens with UTI cases. My cat Icarus
has had UTI's and two blockages. His change to an all canned diet really
helped. He's on Science Diet prescription and it's worked pretty well. He
hasn't been back to the vet for any urinary issues since April. Hopefully
the vet put the cat on anti-biotics and also Prednisone for the
inflammation. A UTI is very painful and uncomfortable for the cat. BTW, if
you got a bad sample, I'd get one that was much fresher and bring it to the
vet so they can see if there's blood or crystals in the urine.

Has the cat vomited at all lately? If they have, get the cat to the vet.
That's usually another symptom of the problem. Good luck. I hope the cat
gets better because a UTI is pretty serious business.

"val189" > wrote in message
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.
>
> Thanks
> (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)

Cat Protector
September 5th 08, 04:57 AM
Yes, constant hydration is important besides an all canned diet especially
with cats that consistantly get UTI's or blockages.

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "val189" wrote
>
>> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
>> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
>> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
>> been straining and not peeing very much.
>
> While there is a problem obviously, it's not apt to be the actual cat
> *litter*. Bowel obstruction (constipation?) comes to mind. Change in
> diet may have accompanied cheaper litter?
>
> If the cat isnt drinking much, it will pee less. Some cats seem to get
> most of their water from wet food eating. Mine gets it from both wet
> food, fresh water, and a daily dose of various salt-free (or very salt
> low) broths.
>
> Today's diet for her was a 3oz portion of wet food (pedigree this time,
> beef with liver) in the morning (rest of can tonight), and 3 TB of dashi
> (dipped out before I added the miso for the rest of us for our breakfast).
> I dont know how much fresh water she drinks because she and Cash-pup share
> both the bowl in the back room and the 'feeder bottle' in the kitchen. I
> can only say it holds about 1G and when we stick the one in the dishwasher
> and pull out the clean one, there is about 1/2g left. Mostly Cash-pup but
> she loves to use his water-feeder now and will mostly ignore her old water
> bowl.
>
> Oh, she gets only 2 TB or so of dry kibble at this stage, per day. She
> eats about 1 TB of it and the rest tends to land in Cash-pup's tummy.

dejablues[_4_]
September 5th 08, 05:20 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.

The precise etiology of feline UTI's is unknown. Some can be dealt with by
dietary management, but to state that diet is the usual cause of FLUTD
(feline lower urinary tract disease, the preferred terminology) is
inaccurate.

Rhonda[_3_]
September 5th 08, 05:35 AM
I would suspect that as at least part of the problem.

Stress can cause a flare up if changing litters upset the kitty. Also,
if the cat doesn't want to use the litter and is holding the urine too
long, that can also cause bladder problems.

Rhonda

val189 wrote:
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.
>
> Thanks
> (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)

Rhonda[_3_]
September 5th 08, 05:42 AM
Cat Protector wrote:
> No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.

Well, not always. We have a cat with bladder issues and he has flare-ups
every 8 mos or so. This last time, it was not a true infection, but some
crystals and trace bacteria and lots of blood and straining. He has now
been diagnosed with "idiopathic cystitis" which means, he's just going
to have flare ups probably no matter what.

The vet says new research points to a virus in cats that can cause the
cystitus, and the bleeding and straining will last about a week at a
time. We have to give the cat pain meds and antibiotics if there's any
trace of bacteria.

Wet food diet and low-stress will help, but he's in this for the long
haul. The good news is that most cats will outgrow the condition at
about 8 years old.

I'm counting the days...

Rhonda

Cat Protector
September 5th 08, 06:51 AM
It isn't unknown. Diet plays a huge role and even our vet stated that.
Icarus has been through UTIs and 2 blockages. Having him on an all canned
prescription diet seemed to solve the issue.

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.
>
> The precise etiology of feline UTI's is unknown. Some can be dealt with by
> dietary management, but to state that diet is the usual cause of FLUTD
> (feline lower urinary tract disease, the preferred terminology) is
> inaccurate.

Phil P.
September 6th 08, 12:22 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause?

Unlikely.

Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.

If the cat is a male, he could have a partial urethral obstruction- which
can quickly become a complete, life-threatening obstruction that can result
in acute renal failure if not treated promptly, or he could have Feline
Interstitial Cystitis (FIC). If the cat is a female, she probably has FIC.
Tell your friend to make sure her vet rules out urethral obstruction.

UTIs are grossly overdiagnosed in cats and are actually uncommon in all but
older and geriatric cats. Cats have many defense mechanisms that help
prevent bacterial invasion and colonization of the urinary tract.

Phil

Phil P.
September 6th 08, 12:24 AM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> > No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.
>
> The precise etiology of feline UTI's is unknown. Some can be dealt with by
> dietary management, but to state that diet is the usual cause of FLUTD
> (feline lower urinary tract disease, the preferred terminology) is
> inaccurate.

UTI and FLUTD are not the same- the terms are not interchangeable. UTI is a
urinary tract infection caused by bacteria. FLUTD is an exclusion diagnosis
that can only be reached after all known causes have been eliminated. IOW,
urinary tract obstruction, urolithiasis (struvite or calcium oxalate or any
other type of crystal or urolith or plug), urinary tract infection,
crystalluria-- are not FLUTD since they are all specific disease entities
with known etiologies.

FLUTD was previously called "FUS" (Feline Urological Syndrome) until the
late 80s and early 90s. Most cases of FLUTD are now called Feline
Interstitial Cystitis (FIC) since the clinical signs are very similar to
interstitial cystitis in women. The only real species difference is that
male and female cats are affected about the same, in the human form of IC
the incidence is much higher in women than in men.

Phil

Phil P.
September 6th 08, 12:24 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> No. UTI's usually happen because of diet.

No. UTIs aren't caused by diet, idiot. UTIs are cause by bacteria.

val189
September 7th 08, 05:46 PM
On Sep 4, 2:39 pm, val189 > wrote:
> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> been straining and not peeing very much.
>
> Thanks
> (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)

Update - the cat is back to normal and it seems nature has healed
her. The vet said no trouble found in the urine sample. Just one of
those things? This cat is about 8 or 9. She does live with another
male and a female cat but they show no signs of trouble.

Cat Protector
September 8th 08, 01:22 AM
Is this cat urinating outside the litterbox?

"val189" > wrote in message
> On Sep 4, 2:39 pm, val189 > wrote:
>> Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
>> litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
>> yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
>> been straining and not peeing very much.
>>
>> Thanks
>> (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)
>
> Update - the cat is back to normal and it seems nature has healed
> her. The vet said no trouble found in the urine sample. Just one of
> those things? This cat is about 8 or 9. She does live with another
> male and a female cat but they show no signs of trouble.

Phil P.
September 18th 08, 02:34 AM
"val189" > wrote in message
> On Sep 4, 2:39 pm, val189 > wrote:
> > Friend's cat seems to have UTI - she wonders if a change to a cheaper
> > litter a month ago might be a cause? Vet hasn't given her any results
> > yet of urine sample. He said the bladder was empty, but the cat's
> > been straining and not peeing very much.
> >
> > Thanks
> > (Arm and Hammer Loyalist,me)
>
> Update - the cat is back to normal and it seems nature has healed
> her. The vet said no trouble found in the urine sample. Just one of
> those things? This cat is about 8 or 9. She does live with another
> male and a female cat but they show no signs of trouble.

FIC flare-ups are usually self limiting in ~5-10 days. Judging by the dates
of your posts, I think your friend's cat might have had an FIC episode. If
she's feeding her cat dry food, advise her to switch over to canned food.
Dry food doesn't actually cause FIC but clinical studies have shown dry food
can exacerbate or aggravate FIC in cats that are predisposed to it.

Phil