PDA

View Full Version : Great Big Cat Show

jmc
September 6th 08, 01:51 PM
I'm going to the National Capital Cat Show today, despite Hanna bearing
down on us. Supposed to be the biggest on the East Coast. Not for the
showing of cats, actually, but for the vendors! I want to find Meep and
easy-to-climb (like the smaller one I have with spiral steps), tall tree
with real wood posts, and no sissal (since she hates it) and I've been
having trouble finding one.

Apparently there's a lot to see, agility cats and such, so it should be
fun. I've never been to one of these before!

Did/is anyone else going to this show?

jmc

cshenk
September 6th 08, 02:34 PM
"jmc" wrote

> I'm going to the National Capital Cat Show today, despite Hanna bearing
> down on us. Supposed to be the biggest on the East Coast. Not for the
> showing of cats, actually, but for the vendors! I want to find Meep and
> easy-to-climb (like the smaller one I have with spiral steps), tall tree
> with real wood posts, and no sissal (since she hates it) and I've been
> having trouble finding one.
>
> Apparently there's a lot to see, agility cats and such, so it should be
> fun. I've never been to one of these before!
>
> Did/is anyone else going to this show?

DC I presume? No, but tell us about it when you get back? I'm at home
waiting for the call to pickup Daisy-cat and Cash-pup from the vets.
Probably sometime this afternoon.

Hanna has lots of wind and bands of rain for here (Norfolk area). We dont
expect much more.

jmc
September 7th 08, 04:45 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (9/6/2008 9:34 AM):
> "jmc" wrote
>
>> I'm going to the National Capital Cat Show today, despite Hanna bearing
>> down on us. Supposed to be the biggest on the East Coast. Not for the
>> showing of cats, actually, but for the vendors! I want to find Meep and
>> easy-to-climb (like the smaller one I have with spiral steps), tall tree
>> with real wood posts, and no sissal (since she hates it) and I've been
>> having trouble finding one.
>>
>> Apparently there's a lot to see, agility cats and such, so it should be
>> fun. I've never been to one of these before!
>>
>> Did/is anyone else going to this show?
>
> DC I presume? No, but tell us about it when you get back? I'm at home
> waiting for the call to pickup Daisy-cat and Cash-pup from the vets.
> Probably sometime this afternoon.
>
> Hanna has lots of wind and bands of rain for here (Norfolk area). We dont
> expect much more.

Yea, outside DC, Chantilly, VA.

Cat show was big, and fun. Lots of beautiful cats, and tons of cat
things.I bought a good bit of odds and ends - bed, horizontal scratcher
and toys for Meep, belt (has cat paw prints) and a beautiful painting of
a black cat that looks EXACTLY like Meep. I looked at all the furniture
vendors, and found one I hope she'll like.

But, because it was seriously BUCKETING down, I couldn't bring it home,
so I didn't buy it. I have a pickup truck, and there's just no way I'd
get the thing home dry with the weather. Will probably go back again
tomorrow for another shopping run and to pick up the tree of my choice.

We got something over SIX AND A HALF INCHES of rain today, then it
suddenly stopped midafternoon. Creeks around here are extremely flooded.

At least my truck and my bird feeders are now cleaned :)

jmc

Cat Protector
September 7th 08, 07:07 PM
If rain is an issue, then I'd have gotten the vendors card and see if you
could order the item online and have it shipped. At least it stays dry that
way.

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (9/6/2008 9:34 AM):
>> "jmc" wrote
>>
>>> I'm going to the National Capital Cat Show today, despite Hanna bearing
>>> down on us. Supposed to be the biggest on the East Coast. Not for the
>>> showing of cats, actually, but for the vendors! I want to find Meep and
>>> easy-to-climb (like the smaller one I have with spiral steps), tall tree
>>> with real wood posts, and no sissal (since she hates it) and I've been
>>> having trouble finding one.
>>>
>>> Apparently there's a lot to see, agility cats and such, so it should be
>>> fun. I've never been to one of these before!
>>>
>>> Did/is anyone else going to this show?
>>
>> DC I presume? No, but tell us about it when you get back? I'm at home
>> waiting for the call to pickup Daisy-cat and Cash-pup from the vets.
>> Probably sometime this afternoon.
>>
>> Hanna has lots of wind and bands of rain for here (Norfolk area). We
>> dont expect much more.
>>

> Yea, outside DC, Chantilly, VA.
>
> Cat show was big, and fun. Lots of beautiful cats, and tons of cat
> things.I bought a good bit of odds and ends - bed, horizontal scratcher
> and toys for Meep, belt (has cat paw prints) and a beautiful painting of a
> black cat that looks EXACTLY like Meep. I looked at all the furniture
> vendors, and found one I hope she'll like.
>
> But, because it was seriously BUCKETING down, I couldn't bring it home, so
> I didn't buy it. I have a pickup truck, and there's just no way I'd get
> the thing home dry with the weather. Will probably go back again tomorrow
> for another shopping run and to pick up the tree of my choice.
>
> We got something over SIX AND A HALF INCHES of rain today, then it
> suddenly stopped midafternoon. Creeks around here are extremely flooded.
>
> At least my truck and my bird feeders are now cleaned :)
>
> jmc

jmc
September 7th 08, 10:34 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Cat Protector exclaimed (9/7/2008 2:07 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, cshenk exclaimed (9/6/2008 9:34 AM):
>>> "jmc" wrote

>>> DC I presume? No, but tell us about it when you get back? I'm at home
>>> waiting for the call to pickup Daisy-cat and Cash-pup from the vets.
>>> Probably sometime this afternoon.
>>>
>>> Hanna has lots of wind and bands of rain for here (Norfolk area). We
>>> dont expect much more.
>>>

>> Yea, outside DC, Chantilly, VA.
>>
>> Cat show was big, and fun. Lots of beautiful cats, and tons of cat
>> things.I bought a good bit of odds and ends - bed, horizontal scratcher
>> and toys for Meep, belt (has cat paw prints) and a beautiful painting of a
>> black cat that looks EXACTLY like Meep. I looked at all the furniture
>> vendors, and found one I hope she'll like.
>>
>> But, because it was seriously BUCKETING down, I couldn't bring it home, so
>> I didn't buy it. I have a pickup truck, and there's just no way I'd get
>> the thing home dry with the weather. Will probably go back again tomorrow
>> for another shopping run and to pick up the tree of my choice.
>>
>> We got something over SIX AND A HALF INCHES of rain today, then it
>> suddenly stopped midafternoon. Creeks around here are extremely flooded.
>>
>> At least my truck and my bird feeders are now cleaned :)
>>
>> jmc
>

> If rain is an issue, then I'd have gotten the vendors card and see if
you
> could order the item online and have it shipped. At least it stays
dry that
> way.

Yea, coulda, but neither were local and one didn't ship.

Weather not an issue today! It's a beautiful, sunny day, and I even got
my better half to join me. He wants to pick out our next feline
(because Meep is lonely) but is having committment issues :)

Picked up a nice, midsized (about 4' tall), cat tree with natural wooden
posts. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer than her rest. By
"last", I mean, it won't look like a pride of lions thought it was prey,
a month after I buy it :) - Meep is a bigtime scratcher, and just tears
apart the carpet, but Will Not Touch sissal (sigh).

Didn't get anything more except an inexpensive "purr pad" like square.
Hubby got a cute little kitten tent, and another Chat Noir poster.

There were absolutely TONS more people there today than yesterday. I
had narrowed down my tree choices to two from two different vendors -
the other one was sold, making the final decision easy :)

I did see a Great Big Multicat one that I sort of liked, about 6' tall I
think but narrow, but it was in a pale pink that'd be a little jarring
in our generally sagey green decor. And there was this other one I
liked, quite elaborate, so big it said "crazy cat lady" all over it -
would hold a dozen cats, I think - and nearly $900. Do people really
spend that much money on something that'll be shredded in a year?

Still gotta find a place for the "I Love to be Kneaded" sticker I got
yesterday :)

jmc

cshenk
September 7th 08, 11:25 PM
"jmc" wrote

> Cat show was big, and fun. Lots of beautiful cats, and tons of cat
> things.I bought a good bit of odds and ends - bed, horizontal scratcher
> and toys for Meep, belt (has cat paw prints) and a beautiful painting of a
> black cat that looks EXACTLY like Meep. I looked at all the furniture
> vendors, and found one I hope she'll like.
>
> But, because it was seriously BUCKETING down, I couldn't bring it home, so
> I didn't buy it. I have a pickup truck, and there's just no way I'd get
> the thing home dry with the weather. Will probably go back again tomorrow
> for another shopping run and to pick up the tree of my choice.

I see you did go back. Hopefully got the picture too!

It sounds like so much fun! Ah well. Daisy came out of the anesthetics
fast and was normal by the time she got home. Cash-pup didnt normal up til
around noonish and now he's raring to go! Poor little conehead though.
Has to wear it for a week and because he's such an oddly muscular dog, he
has to use their big one (big neck) for large breed dogs but he's not but
about 20 inches at the shoulder!
I'd like to cut it down but afraid it will be sharp then.

(pulled from other post)
> Picked up a nice, midsized (about 4' tall), cat tree with natural wooden
> posts. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer than her rest. By
> "last", I mean, it won't look like a pride of lions thought it was prey, a
> month after I buy it :) - Meep is a bigtime scratcher, and just tears
> apart the carpet, but Will Not Touch sissal (sigh).

I've never had a cat actually 'damage' carpet o a cat climber, so perhaps
I've been lucky! Daisy has a small one, not more than a foot stool, but she
likes it and knows it's 'cat terratory'. I need to relocate it better. I
used to have one of those wild 5 ft tall with 3 holes and 2 arms 'things',
picked up for free. It was nice but took up to much space really to be
wanted once I'd had it for a bit. 4ft is about right for real use and you
can put it in front of a window as a perch.