PDA

View Full Version : how do you get a cat active?

September 6th 08, 05:19 PM
my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

Cat Protector
September 6th 08, 07:22 PM
Why not get a cat toy and start playing with her. It'll help perfect her
prey and pouncing technique. I'd also get her a cat tower as well. Cats like
to climb.

> wrote in message
> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

jmc
September 7th 08, 04:52 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Cat Protector exclaimed (9/6/2008 2:22 PM):

> > wrote in message
>> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?
>

> Why not get a cat toy and start playing with her. It'll help perfect her
> prey and pouncing technique. I'd also get her a cat tower as well.
Cats like
> to climb.

Sometimes it's not that easy. Meep isn't big into playing unless the
Mood is upon her, though she'll sit and watch a slithering string all day :)

Put her food out in different places throughout the house. Hide kibble
here and there, so she has to go hunting in order to find her food. You
can do this with wet, you'll just need more bowls.

Ditto the tower though, if you don't have one already. You might also
look at the food you're feeding her, if it's low quality it could be
contributing both to her weight and lack of energy.

Also, if you haven't already, talk to your vet. Meep isn't terribly
active because she has a congenital heart problem (she has a bit of
cardiomyopathy - small murmur). I think she's had it from birth). When
I do get her to play, she only can for a couple of minutes before she
wears out.

Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try a
bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't forget
plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts for the Cat
Dancer.

Good luck, you're doing the right thing trying to get her to be more active!

jmc

Cat Protector
September 7th 08, 04:24 PM
Actually, it is that easy. A proper diet (no garbage foods), playing with
her, and getting things for her to climb on are excellent ways of getting
her to be more active. Cats should have an all canned diet of healthier
foods.

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Sometimes it's not that easy. Meep isn't big into playing unless the Mood
> is upon her, though she'll sit and watch a slithering string all day :)
>
> Put her food out in different places throughout the house. Hide kibble
> here and there, so she has to go hunting in order to find her food. You
> can do this with wet, you'll just need more bowls.
>
> Ditto the tower though, if you don't have one already. You might also
> look at the food you're feeding her, if it's low quality it could be
> contributing both to her weight and lack of energy.
>
> Also, if you haven't already, talk to your vet. Meep isn't terribly
> active because she has a congenital heart problem (she has a bit of
> cardiomyopathy - small murmur). I think she's had it from birth). When I
> do get her to play, she only can for a couple of minutes before she wears
> out.
>
> Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try a
> bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't forget
> plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts for the Cat
> Dancer.
>
> Good luck, you're doing the right thing trying to get her to be more
> active!
>
> jmc

Stan Brown
September 7th 08, 04:58 PM
Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:52:28 -0400 from jmc
>:
> Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try
> a bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't
> forget plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts
> for the Cat Dancer.

Milo's favorite is Squeaky Mouse. I bought it for about $3 a Wal-
mart. (Squeaky Mouse is my name for it; I forget what the package is
labeled.)

It's a gray catnip mouse with a pink tail, and contains a microchip
that makes it squeak whenever it moves. Milo bats it around and
chases it several times a day for minutes on end.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

val189
September 7th 08, 05:50 PM
On Sep 6, 12:19 pm, wrote:
> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

Mine goes nuts chasing a white fur mouse or a peacock feather dragged
by him on the floor. A rolling pingpong ball also works, but not like
that mouse., NOw, he has black fur mice and won't give them a look,
so it's gotta be that white (rabbit?) fur.

Try to devote 15 mins. a day on the floor with him. If he ever gets
the crazies and starts tearing thru the house, they love to be chased,
if you're up to it and have on the right footgear..

jmc
September 7th 08, 10:52 PM
Suddenly, without warning, val189 exclaimed (9/7/2008 12:50 PM):
> On Sep 6, 12:19 pm, wrote:
>> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?
>
> Mine goes nuts chasing a white fur mouse or a peacock feather dragged
> by him on the floor. A rolling pingpong ball also works, but not like
> that mouse., NOw, he has black fur mice and won't give them a look,
> so it's gotta be that white (rabbit?) fur.
>
> Try to devote 15 mins. a day on the floor with him. If he ever gets
> the crazies and starts tearing thru the house, they love to be chased,
> if you're up to it and have on the right footgear..

I'm never sure about that "loves to be chased" thing, since when I do
that, Meep's tail gets really big and she hides under the table...

jmc

Spot[_2_]
September 7th 08, 11:03 PM
My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
the floor at the front door for me.

I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.

Celeste

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Cat Protector exclaimed (9/6/2008 2:22 PM):
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?
>>
>> Why not get a cat toy and start playing with her. It'll help perfect her
> > prey and pouncing technique. I'd also get her a cat tower as well.
> Cats like
> > to climb.
> >

> Sometimes it's not that easy. Meep isn't big into playing unless the Mood
> is upon her, though she'll sit and watch a slithering string all day :)
>
> Put her food out in different places throughout the house. Hide kibble
> here and there, so she has to go hunting in order to find her food. You
> can do this with wet, you'll just need more bowls.
>
> Ditto the tower though, if you don't have one already. You might also
> look at the food you're feeding her, if it's low quality it could be
> contributing both to her weight and lack of energy.
>
> Also, if you haven't already, talk to your vet. Meep isn't terribly
> active because she has a congenital heart problem (she has a bit of
> cardiomyopathy - small murmur). I think she's had it from birth). When I
> do get her to play, she only can for a couple of minutes before she wears
> out.
>
> Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try a
> bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't forget
> plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts for the Cat
> Dancer.
>
> Good luck, you're doing the right thing trying to get her to be more
> active!
>
> jmc

jmc
September 8th 08, 12:43 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):
> My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
> places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
> the floor at the front door for me.
>
> I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
> him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.
>
> Celeste

That's really cool. My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
the hamper, and hide them under the couch.

jmc

val189
September 8th 08, 03:03 AM
On Sep 7, 7:43 pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):
>
> > My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
> > places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
> > the floor at the front door for me.
>
> > I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
> > him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.
>
> > Celeste
>
> That's really cool. My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
> the hamper, and hide them under the couch.
>
> jmc

How did he get things out of the hamper?
Mine LOVES to lie on shoes of real leather.

jmc
September 8th 08, 10:20 AM
Suddenly, without warning, val189 exclaimed (9/7/2008 10:03 PM):
> On Sep 7, 7:43 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):
>>
>>> My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
>>> places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
>>> the floor at the front door for me.
>>> I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
>>> him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.
>>> Celeste
>> That's really cool. My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
>> the hamper, and hide them under the couch.
>>
>> jmc
>
> How did he get things out of the hamper?
> Mine LOVES to lie on shoes of real leather.

actually, it was a basket. I just still call the things hampers :)

Meep also like to sit on various things:

1. Polarfleece
2. Any clothes just out of the washer, injudiciously left on the bed

:)

jmc

Rene S.
September 8th 08, 02:17 PM
On Sep 6, 11:19*am, wrote:
> my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

A better diet will help too. An all canned diet with no grains or a
raw diet can give them more energy. When I switched my cat to this,
his energy level increased (and now that he's maintaining, he's still
pretty active).

See his web site for ideas and information: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

DWMeowMix
September 8th 08, 08:34 PM
On Sep 8, 7:17*am, "Rene S." > wrote:

> A better diet will help too. An all canned diet with no grains or a
> raw diet can give them more energy. When I switched my cat to this,
> his energy level increased (and now that he's maintaining, he's still
> pretty active).

I started feeding mine raw and my really BIG kitty went from and 18 lb
bowling ball to a 12 lb hottie, all svelte and sleek. Not to mention
he has increased energy and his fur is pure silk. I love burying my
face in it. So soft... He's 15 years old and is (almost) bouncing
around like a kitten!

DWMeowMix

DWMeowMix
September 8th 08, 09:11 PM
On Sep 7, 5:43*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):
>
> > My one cat loved to find clean socks. *I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
> > places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
> > the floor at the front door for me.
>
> > I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
> > him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.
>
> > Celeste
>
> That's really cool. *My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
> the hamper, and hide them under the couch.
>
> jmc

What is it about socks? My mom had a little burmese that couldn't
resist chewing on DIRTY socks...EWWW ICK!

Outsider
September 9th 08, 11:37 PM
DWMeowMix > wrote in news:8663b66f-382c-4c01-8723-
:

> On Sep 8, 7:17*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
>

>> A better diet will help too. An all canned diet with no grains or a
>> raw diet can give them more energy. When I switched my cat to this,
>> his energy level increased (and now that he's maintaining, he's still
>> pretty active).
>>
> I started feeding mine raw and my really BIG kitty went from and 18 lb
> bowling ball to a 12 lb hottie, all svelte and sleek. Not to mention
> he has increased energy and his fur is pure silk. I love burying my
> face in it. So soft... He's 15 years old and is (almost) bouncing
> around like a kitten!
>
> DWMeowMix

Raw what? Do you leave the bones in? Do you have trouble with him
carrying raw meat around the house and making a mess? What else do you
feed him?

Andy

Eric T Duckman
September 10th 08, 10:56 PM
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:37:08 +0000, outsider wrote:

> DWMeowMix > wrote in news:8663b66f-382c-4c01-8723-
> :
>
>> On Sep 8, 7:17*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
>>

>>> A better diet will help too. An all canned diet with no grains or a
>>> raw diet can give them more energy. When I switched my cat to this,
>>> his energy level increased (and now that he's maintaining, he's still
>>> pretty active).
>>>
>> I started feeding mine raw and my really BIG kitty went from and 18 lb
>> bowling ball to a 12 lb hottie, all svelte and sleek. Not to mention
>> he has increased energy and his fur is pure silk. I love burying my
>> face in it. So soft... He's 15 years old and is (almost) bouncing
>> around like a kitten!
>>
>> DWMeowMix
>>

> Raw what? Do you leave the bones in? Do you have trouble with him
> carrying raw meat around the house and making a mess? What else do you
> feed him?
>
> Andy

As a last resort, you could try Confuse-A-Cat, Ltd..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM

--
"...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"

Stan Brown
September 10th 08, 11:03 PM
09 Sep 2008 22:37:08 GMT from outsider >:
> Raw what? Do you leave the bones in?

"If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Outsider
September 11th 08, 03:10 PM
Stan Brown > wrote in
t:

> 09 Sep 2008 22:37:08 GMT from outsider >:
>> Raw what? Do you leave the bones in?
>
> "If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
>
> Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

Places I see raw meat discussed they recommend leaving it whole since
crunching the bones will help keep the teeth clean. As I understand it
cooked bones are bad but not so raw. So your comment is more serious than
you might have meant!

The folks I know who feed raw say the cats carry chicken around and leave
raw chicken pieces all over so they feed cut up meat (I think I am
remebering this right). I may need to just try it; I worry that the canned
only diet I now feed leaves too much stuff sitting on their teeth all the
time. I don't believe dry food _cleans_ the teeth but I suspect it just
leaves less behind seeing as the cats don't really "chew" their food.

Andy

jmc
September 11th 08, 09:06 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Eric T Duckman exclaimed (9/10/2008 5:56 PM):

> As a last resort, you could try Confuse-A-Cat, Ltd..
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM

How the heck did I miss that one? Been a Python fan for years, and
never saw that skit!

Lol.

jmc

DWMeowMix
September 12th 08, 03:37 PM
On Sep 11, 8:10*am, outsider > wrote:
> Stan Brown > wrote . net:
> Places I see raw meat discussed they recommend leaving it whole since
> crunching the bones will help keep the teeth clean. *As I understand it
> cooked bones are bad but not so raw. *So your comment is more serious than
> you might have meant! *
>
> The folks I know who feed raw say the cats carry chicken around and leave
> raw chicken pieces all over so they feed cut up meat (I think I am
> remebering this right). *I may need to just try it; I worry that the canned
> only diet I now feed leaves too much stuff sitting on their teeth all the
> time. *I don't believe dry food _cleans_ the teeth but I suspect it just
> leaves less behind seeing as the cats don't really "chew" their food.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy, leaving the bone in cut up in chunks or whole is the
recommended method. This way the kitty has to work at it and the
bones will scrape the teeth clean. Some of the people in the raw
feeding groups I belong to will feed kitty in a quiet area on a mat or
a towel if you can get them to leave it there. Some kitties you just
have to throw your hands up and say "oh well". One of my kitties who
I feel whole pieces, likes to carry it to her blanket and knaw on it
there. My other 3 are toothless so they get ground (with bone) meat.
Oh, and I might add that they are toothless because I didn't know that
canned food DOES promote tooth decay and there is nothing in kibble
that a cat can derive any nutrition from.

Debbie

Outsider
September 12th 08, 11:18 PM
DWMeowMix > wrote in
:

> On Sep 11, 8:10*am, outsider > wrote:
>> Stan Brown > wrote
>> innews:MPG.23320e1daac0a645
> :
>> Places I see raw meat discussed they recommend leaving it whole since
>> crunching the bones will help keep the teeth clean. *As I understand
>> it cooked bones are bad but not so raw. *So your comment is more
>> serious t
> han
>> you might have meant! *
>>
>> The folks I know who feed raw say the cats carry chicken around and
>> leave raw chicken pieces all over so they feed cut up meat (I think I
>> am remebering this right). *I may need to just try it; I worry that
>> the ca
> nned
>> only diet I now feed leaves too much stuff sitting on their teeth all
>> the time. *I don't believe dry food _cleans_ the teeth but I suspect
>> it jus
>> leaves less behind seeing as the cats don't really "chew" their food.
>>
>> Andy
>
> Hi Andy, leaving the bone in cut up in chunks or whole is the
> recommended method. This way the kitty has to work at it and the
> bones will scrape the teeth clean. Some of the people in the raw
> feeding groups I belong to will feed kitty in a quiet area on a mat or
> a towel if you can get them to leave it there. Some kitties you just
> have to throw your hands up and say "oh well". One of my kitties who
> I feel whole pieces, likes to carry it to her blanket and knaw on it
> there. My other 3 are toothless so they get ground (with bone) meat.
> Oh, and I might add that they are toothless because I didn't know that
> canned food DOES promote tooth decay and there is nothing in kibble
> that a cat can derive any nutrition from.
>
> Debbie

What meat do they get (chicken, beef, etc)? Do you suppliment with
anything? How much do they eat?

Thanks,

DWMeowMix
September 16th 08, 03:30 PM

> What meat do they get (chicken, beef, etc)? *Do you suppliment with
> anything? *How much do they eat? *
>
> Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

Andy,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you. I don't have internet
access at home so I do this while I'm at work when I have a half a
second. Anyway, to answer your question, variety is best. I feed
fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, cornish game hen and pork and when I can
afford it and can get it I will feed rabbit, duck, or goose and I'm
always on the look out for anything else. Other raw feeders use some
other more exotic meats but I'm on a budget so I have to be a little
more realistic. I feed very little actual beef (my cats don't care
for it much) but I do use alot of beef organs in my ground foods. The
organs are just as important in raw feeding as the actual meat. Liver
gives Vitamins A & D, heart gives Taurine which is absolutely
necessary for cats.

I do choose to supplement although others would argue that it's not
necessary. I would rather err on the side of caution than risk my
furkids health. I use natural whole food supplements such as Avoderm
and Jungle Kitty as they #1 are more readily absorbed by the body and
#2 they are the whole food "complex" not the specific ingredient that
is identified as the vitamin that is pulled out from the rest and
chemically synthesized. You are not getting the benefit of the whole
aspect of the vitamin that way. Anyway...that's a WHOLE nuther ball
of wax and won't get into that here.

A full grown cat will eat about 2-3 oz per feeding. That can go plus
or minus depending on the cat of course. Think "mouse" size. Cats
probably should eat 4-6 small meals a day at that size but I work so I
double up on the amounts and feed twice a day. Not ideal but we do
the best we can. And, don't freak out if they don't eat for a day.
Raw feeding has a ton of nutritients and some times kitty just takes a
small break. If they stop eating for 2 days, somethings wrong and get
thee to a vet pronto!

If you are very interested in raw feeding email me privately and I
will send you some links to the groups I belong to. They are
moderated so you will get good, solid info without any of the nonsense
that is typical of usenet groups.

Debbie

Outsider
September 18th 08, 08:44 PM
DWMeowMix > wrote in news:df1d0b2e-463c-4c65-9c26-
:

>> What meat do they get (chicken, beef, etc)? *Do you suppliment with
>> anything? *How much do they eat? *
>>
>> Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

> Andy,
>
> Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you. I don't have internet
> access at home so I do this while I'm at work when I have a half a
> second. Anyway, to answer your question, variety is best. I feed
> fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, cornish game hen and pork and when I can
> afford it and can get it I will feed rabbit, duck, or goose and I'm
> always on the look out for anything else. Other raw feeders use some
> other more exotic meats but I'm on a budget so I have to be a little
> more realistic. I feed very little actual beef (my cats don't care
> for it much) but I do use alot of beef organs in my ground foods. The
> organs are just as important in raw feeding as the actual meat. Liver
> gives Vitamins A & D, heart gives Taurine which is absolutely
> necessary for cats.
>
> I do choose to supplement although others would argue that it's not
> necessary. I would rather err on the side of caution than risk my
> furkids health. I use natural whole food supplements such as Avoderm
> and Jungle Kitty as they #1 are more readily absorbed by the body and
> #2 they are the whole food "complex" not the specific ingredient that
> is identified as the vitamin that is pulled out from the rest and
> chemically synthesized. You are not getting the benefit of the whole
> aspect of the vitamin that way. Anyway...that's a WHOLE nuther ball
> of wax and won't get into that here.
>
> A full grown cat will eat about 2-3 oz per feeding. That can go plus
> or minus depending on the cat of course. Think "mouse" size. Cats
> probably should eat 4-6 small meals a day at that size but I work so I
> double up on the amounts and feed twice a day. Not ideal but we do
> the best we can. And, don't freak out if they don't eat for a day.
> Raw feeding has a ton of nutritients and some times kitty just takes a
> small break. If they stop eating for 2 days, somethings wrong and get
> thee to a vet pronto!
>
> If you are very interested in raw feeding email me privately and I
> will send you some links to the groups I belong to. They are
> moderated so you will get good, solid info without any of the nonsense
> that is typical of usenet groups.
>
> Debbie

Don't worry about the delay; I've been half indisposed anyway. This info
is terrific. I think, at a minimum, I will see how they react to whole
food and move on from there. I will email you if I need more help.

Thanks!

Andy