PDA

View Full Version : Do cats fart?

James
September 6th 08, 05:54 PM
Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

kraut
September 6th 08, 06:35 PM
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James >
wrote:

>Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

My Sam fart on occassion and man does it smell bad!! Do not know why
because he eats mainly dry food plus an occassonal chicken breast
strip for a treat.

Stan Brown
September 6th 08, 11:11 PM
Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:35:53 -0400 from kraut
>:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James >
> wrote:
> >Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.
>
> My Sam fart on occassion and man does it smell bad!! Do not know why
> because he eats mainly dry food plus an occassonal chicken breast
> strip for a treat.

Same with Milo -- SBD, Silent But Deadly. And he's an indoor cat, so
I know what he's been eating.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

-Lost
September 6th 08, 11:46 PM
Response to James >:

> Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

Our newest addition Phat Kat was a gasser when he first came to us.
Our vet said something about larger animals being more prone to
passing stinky gas because of something about protein... ?

Anyway, on dry food for a month or so to solidify his poops and then
gradually to canned he's still a gasser but it doesn't smell like
death anymore.

I'd say, "yes."

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

dejablues[_4_]
September 7th 08, 01:14 AM
"kraut" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James >
> wrote:
>
>>Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.
>

> My Sam fart on occassion and man does it smell bad!! Do not know why
> because he eats mainly dry food plus an occassonal chicken breast
> strip for a treat.

The only flatulent cat we have ever had is our youngest, a one-year-old
former dumpster kitty that we got when he was about six weeks old. He is
also wool-sucker (he must have lost his mom early on).
His gas was *deadly* until he was wormed 3x and had been on a steady diet
of good food. His sucking habit has been decreasing, but he still sucks in
some air which results in the occasional fart.
Next time he goes to the vet, have them check a stool sample. Maybe he has
some parasites.

alanr
September 7th 08, 01:15 AM
Yes.

"James" > wrote in message
> Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 7th 08, 01:32 AM
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James > wrote:
>Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

Do cats have an anus?
Do cats digest food?

Cheryl[_4_]
September 7th 08, 03:52 AM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James >
> wrote:
>>Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.
>
> Do cats have an anus?
> Do cats digest food?

Being able to pass gas isn't a given in mammals. For example, mice can't
burp. I think it was a valid question.

-Lost
September 7th 08, 07:53 AM
Response to "Cheryl" >:

>> Do cats have an anus?
>> Do cats digest food?
>
> Being able to pass gas isn't a given in mammals. For example,
> mice can't burp. I think it was a valid question.

That's where the "give them soda" to get rid of them "trick" comes
from, I believe. No clue if it's true... never tried.

Or was it artificial sweetener?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

jmc
September 7th 08, 01:48 PM
Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (9/6/2008 12:54 PM):
> Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

Yes, Meep could clear a room in seconds, when she was a kitten.

We changed her food and the SBDs went away. She still flatulates
sometimes, but not as much or as odoriferous as in the past.

*silent but deadly

jmc

AZ Nomad[_2_]
September 7th 08, 04:12 PM
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 08:48:44 -0400, jmc > wrote:
>Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (9/6/2008 12:54 PM):
>> Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.

>Yes, Meep could clear a room in seconds, when she was a kitten.

>We changed her food and the SBDs went away. She still flatulates
>sometimes, but not as much or as odoriferous as in the past.

>*silent but deadly

Of course, if I fart, I blame it on my cat, even if I'm in another
state.

---MIKE---
September 7th 08, 06:59 PM
I've never notice a fart but Tiger makes up for this with his poops
which are awful!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

T[_4_]
September 7th 08, 07:59 PM
In article >,
says...
> Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:35:53 -0400 from kraut
> >:
> > On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), James >
> > wrote:
> > >Smelled like a fart. I didn't fart but the cat was in the room.
> >
> > My Sam fart on occassion and man does it smell bad!! Do not know why
> > because he eats mainly dry food plus an occassonal chicken breast
> > strip for a treat.
>
> Same with Milo -- SBD, Silent But Deadly. And he's an indoor cat, so
> I know what he's been eating.

Oh this is fantastic news. Used to be that you could only blame it on
the dog, but now you can blame it on the cat too.