PDA

View Full Version : Problems with our four different cats

catmando
September 6th 08, 08:18 PM
Four cats own my wife and I. Nugget, ex-female, delcawed, 18 year old
tortoiseshell, who is hyperthyroid, very thin but active, and on
hyperthyroid pills; Scrap, ex-male, declawed 11 year old domestic
shorthair; Smoke, ex-female longhair with claws, 3 year old; and
Freddie, ex-male, 1 year old with claws, who apparently was abandoned,
with congenital respiratory virus causing intermittent sneezing with
mucous and some occasional wheezing on strenuous activity - on
molasses-like goo food supplement to build up immune system. His
sneezing will never be cured but does not inhibit his activity or
appetite, which is tremendous.

The main problem we have is that we have four litter boxes, using Tidy
Cat. 3 boxes are in a row, the one remaining is across the room by
itself. Someone is urinating outside the row of litter boxes, and
outside the isolated one. No matter how frequently I empty the litter
boxes or change them, the behavior does not change. I have no way of
knowing who is doing the bad behavior without uninterrupted
observation of several hours duration. I could use a hidden camera,
but how expensive might that be?

The only thing I can think of is that Nugget, the oldest cat, might
not make it to the box quickly enough and wets outside the box. But
the most likely scenario might be antisocial behavior.

Can anyone offer any help?

-Lost
September 7th 08, 10:30 AM
Response to catmando >:

> Four cats own my wife and I. Nugget, ex-female, delcawed, 18
> year old tortoiseshell, who is hyperthyroid, very thin but
> active, and on hyperthyroid pills; Scrap, ex-male, declawed 11
> year old domestic shorthair; Smoke, ex-female longhair with
> claws, 3 year old; and Freddie, ex-male, 1 year old with claws,
> who apparently was abandoned, with congenital respiratory virus
> causing intermittent sneezing with mucous and some occasional
> wheezing on strenuous activity - on molasses-like goo food
> supplement to build up immune system. His sneezing will never
> be cured but does not inhibit his activity or appetite, which is
> tremendous.
>
> The main problem we have is that we have four litter boxes,
> using Tidy Cat. 3 boxes are in a row, the one remaining is
> across the room by itself. Someone is urinating outside the row
> of litter boxes, and outside the isolated one. No matter how
> frequently I empty the litter boxes or change them, the behavior
> does not change. I have no way of knowing who is doing the bad
> behavior without uninterrupted observation of several hours
> duration. I could use a hidden camera, but how expensive might
> that be?
>
> The only thing I can think of is that Nugget, the oldest cat,
> might not make it to the box quickly enough and wets outside the
> box. But the most likely scenario might be antisocial behavior.
>
> Can anyone offer any help?

The majority of this being speculation -- have you ruled out UTIs?
IBS-like symptoms?

I'm optimistic in thinking that if a kitty is in the box but uses
the bathroom outside of it, it must be purely accidental or perhaps
medical. Phat Kat used to shower us in runny goodness (down the
side of the box that is) until his #2 got under control. I blame
it on him missing and the fact he's fairly large so it's easy for
his rear to hang over. They don't have those reversing mirrors
after all. ; )

I don't know at all like I said, but antisocial behavior just seems
a bit odd to me in that scenario. Then again I've also not read
any cases of purely antisocial behavior causing bare-misses.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Rene S.
September 8th 08, 02:14 PM
Try moving the boxes to different locations, not line them up in a
row. Put them each in a different room. It's possible that one cat
might be preventing another from using those boxes.

Also, if you're concerned that your elderly cat can't make it to the
box, get a box that has lower sides so he can get in and out easily.