PDA

View Full Version : Cat Licks Stop on Stomach Raw!

chatnoir
September 7th 08, 07:18 PM
So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! The Vet gave him a shot;
but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! Am giving the
cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
the cat started licking the area again! The only thing that keeps him
from licking the area is the head cone! This keeps the cat in one
room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
house and the enclosed cage! The Vet said it may be due to food
allergies! Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
could be any one of them! Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
does not deter Nebby! So, do allergy testings do any good? Am
wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! The
spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
That could itch! Any suggestions is welcomed!

"chatnoir" > wrote in message
> So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
> licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! The Vet gave him a shot;
> but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! Am giving the
> cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
> the cat started licking the area again! The only thing that keeps him
> from licking the area is the head cone! This keeps the cat in one
> room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
> house and the enclosed cage! The Vet said it may be due to food
> allergies! Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
> could be any one of them! Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
> does not deter Nebby! So, do allergy testings do any good? Am
> wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! The
> spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
> That could itch! Any suggestions is welcomed!

Your cat is anxious. My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of creamy,
spotted fur.

---MIKE---
September 7th 08, 08:58 PM
Amber licked a spot raw on her side when I was in the hospital for a
week. It cleared up after the vet gave her a prednisone shot.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmc
September 7th 08, 10:50 PM
Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (9/7/2008 2:18 PM):
> So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
> licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! The Vet gave him a shot;
> but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! Am giving the
> cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
> the cat started licking the area again! The only thing that keeps him
> from licking the area is the head cone! This keeps the cat in one
> room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
> house and the enclosed cage! The Vet said it may be due to food
> allergies! Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
> could be any one of them! Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
> does not deter Nebby! So, do allergy testings do any good? Am
> wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! The
> spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
> That could itch! Any suggestions is welcomed!

I went through this with Meep earlier this year. She wasn't actually
damaging her skin, but she mowed a large space on her belly naked.

It could be allergies, or anxiety. Of course, it is easier for the vet
to eliminate anxieties first. Keep up on the prednizone, I think it
takes a while to work.

Try to figure out what may be making your cat anxious. Is there a new
cat in the neighborhood, harassing your cat (through the window, if your
cat is indoors)? Recent move? Visitors? Did you move the furniture
around, or change something else in his environment, however small?

If it's allergies, you need to figure out from what. Best way is
through an elimination diet. Ideally, you could feed your cat a natural
diet of meat. I tried to do this with Meep but she wouldn't go for it.
If your cat's the same, go find something at the pet store, not the
grocery store, that has no grains or other allergens. Some Wellness
types are like that; others here I'm sure can offer other foods that
have worked for their kitties. If she gets better on the new diet, you
can then carefully reintroduce different foods, one at a time, until you
find the culprit, and know to avoid it.

One problem is, even if it is allergies, you could still end up with a
behavior issue because the licking can become habitual. I never really
saw Meep overgrooming that area - I think part of her problem may have
been separation anxiety. When I would see her, I'd let her groom for a
normal amount of time, then I'd make a loud noise that would distract
her, or I'd get up to walk to the kitchen. I wouldn't try playing with
her or distracting her in a "positive reinforcement" way, because I
didn't want her to think "hey, when I groom my belly, she plays with me
or gives me a treat! Cool!".

Good luck. If it's not allergies, one possibility is to put her on an
antidepressent - Clomicalm or Amitryptyline. She stopped mowing before
we put her on them; Clomi was too sedative for Meep, but Ami worked very
well to get her through the upheaval and anxiety of another overseas
move - she didn't take up fur mowing, or have a cystitis attack, the
whole time, which is awesome.

Good luck. Overgrooming is one of the more difficult disorders to
figure out, I think.

jmc

chatnoir
September 8th 08, 12:54 AM
On Sep 7, 12:40*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
> > licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! *The Vet gave him a shot;
> > but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! *Am giving the
> > cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
> > the cat started licking the area again! *The only thing that keeps him
> > from licking the area is the head cone! *This keeps the cat in one
> > room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
> > house and the enclosed cage! *The Vet said it may be due to food
> > allergies! *Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
> > could be any one of them! *Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
> > does not deter Nebby! *So, do allergy testings do any good? *Am
> > wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! *The
> > spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
> > That could itch! *Any suggestions is welcomed!
>
> Your cat is anxious. My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
> about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of creamy,
> spotted fur.

The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last 2 months is
the behavior of his brother Izzy (Not nec a girls name)! They were
rescue cats and raised together and I got them at the same time! They
were very affectionate to each other! And both cats were very
affectionate to me! Always jumping all over me for affection! Izzy
changed two months ago! He no longer jumps all over me for
affection! And when Nebby comes to play or lick Izzzy (They use to
lick each other all the time) Izzy gets and annoyed look and pushes
Nebby away! I don't know what changed Izzy; but it could be the
anxiety problem Nebby has!

jmc
September 8th 08, 02:07 AM
Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (9/7/2008 7:54 PM):
> On Sep 7, 12:40 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

>>> So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
>>> licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! The Vet gave him a shot;
>>> but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! Am giving the
>>> cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
>>> the cat started licking the area again! The only thing that keeps him
>>> from licking the area is the head cone! This keeps the cat in one
>>> room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
>>> house and the enclosed cage! The Vet said it may be due to food
>>> allergies! Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
>>> could be any one of them! Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
>>> does not deter Nebby! So, do allergy testings do any good? Am
>>> wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! The
>>> spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
>>> That could itch! Any suggestions is welcomed!
>> Your cat is anxious. My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
>> about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of creamy,
>> spotted fur.
>
> The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last 2 months is
> the behavior of his brother Izzy (Not nec a girls name)! They were
> rescue cats and raised together and I got them at the same time! They
> were very affectionate to each other! And both cats were very
> affectionate to me! Always jumping all over me for affection! Izzy
> changed two months ago! He no longer jumps all over me for
> affection! And when Nebby comes to play or lick Izzzy (They use to
> lick each other all the time) Izzy gets and annoyed look and pushes
> Nebby away! I don't know what changed Izzy; but it could be the
> anxiety problem Nebby has!

Hmmm. Behavior changes in Izzy suggest a trip to the vet is in order.
Any time a cat's personality or behavior changes, especially for the
worse, you should see a vet, because it could mean something is wrong.
And this certainly could be the cause of Nebby's overgrooming.

jmc

cybercat
September 8th 08, 05:30 AM
"chatnoir" > wrote
>The only thing I can think of that has changed in the last 2 months is
>the behavior of his brother Izzy (Not nec a girls name)! They were
>rescue cats and raised together and I got them at the same time! They
>were very affectionate to each other! And both cats were very
>affectionate to me! Always jumping all over me for affection! Izzy
>changed two months ago! He no longer jumps all over me for
>affection! And when Nebby comes to play or lick Izzzy (They use to
>lick each other all the time) Izzy gets and annoyed look and pushes
>Nebby away! I don't know what changed Izzy; but it could be the
>anxiety problem Nebby has!

There you go, you solved it, and I am not surprised because only you know
your cats. Comfort Nebby. Quit with the collar and the confining and give
Nebby lots of love and attention. It's emotional, not physical. You'll see
positive results soon.

Rene S.
September 8th 08, 02:12 PM
> Hmmm. *Behavior changes in Izzy suggest a trip to the vet is in order.
> Any time a cat's personality or behavior changes, especially for the
> worse, you should see a vet, because it could mean something is wrong.
> And this certainly could be the cause of Nebby's overgrooming.
>
> jmc

Yes, please take Izzy to the vet for a check up. Also, try using the
Feliway diffuser. It's helpful for times of stress (which your cats
seem to be under now).

Cat Protector
September 8th 08, 05:55 PM
Before I had to put my cats on Science Diet because of Icarus's UTI and
blockages, I fed them Blue Buffalo Spa Select which was a more natural food.
It worked well for them and they never threw it up. It can be found at
Petsmart. It's expensive but good for the cats that have food allergies.

"chatnoir" > wrote in message
> So, for the Last two months my cat Nebby, who is two years old, has
> licked a spot on his stomach till it is raw! The Vet gave him a shot;
> but it did not keep the cat from licking the area raw! Am giving the
> cat Prednisolone now! However after the One a day for a week routine,
> the cat started licking the area again! The only thing that keeps him
> from licking the area is the head cone! This keeps the cat in one
> room or a small cage as there are too many things to jump on in the
> house and the enclosed cage! The Vet said it may be due to food
> allergies! Since, I feed my cats lots of varieties of food, that
> could be any one of them! Have tried Grannick's Bitter Apple but that
> does not deter Nebby! So, do allergy testings do any good? Am
> wondering if Nebby will have to wear the neck cone all his life! The
> spot he licks gets a crust on it when I put him in the neck cone!
> That could itch! Any suggestions is welcomed!

Stan Brown
September 9th 08, 02:33 AM
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:40:57 -0400 from cybercat >:

> My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
> about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of creamy,
> spotted fur.

Don't leave us in suspense! What was the cause?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

cybercat
September 9th 08, 03:44 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:40:57 -0400 from cybercat >:
>>
>> My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
>> about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of
>> creamy,
>> spotted fur.
>
> Don't leave us in suspense! What was the cause?

Oh, sorry! We live in a split level, Gracie, (now age 9, then maybe age 6,
who was licking off her fur), hangs with me up on the top floor in my
office, in our bedroom, or in the guest room, which she seems to think of as
her room. Boo hangs out on the basement level in my husband's office most
times. Cats are very territorial. Once Boo got sick with fits, had to have
an ultrasound and such, and for some reason, began following me around after
I had taken her to the vet a few times. (It was sweet, I never figured it
out, since I was the one who stuffed her in the carrier and took her to the
vet. But it seemed like she somehow knew I was trying to help her.) So, all
of a sudden, Gracie finds Boo sharing the guest room bed with her, hanging
out in my office, wanting to sleep in our room. Gracie is very polite, so
nothing changed except she started licking her fur off. It began on her
flank, and her side and belly were nearly bald by the time I stopped it.

What I did was start going down to visit with Boodie often, if she came
upstairs, I carried her down and loved on her and praised her. As Boo got
more secure she resumed her old habits of staying downstairs most of the
time. Gracie's fur grew back in. Thanks for asking.

Stan Brown
September 9th 08, 06:46 PM
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:44:35 -0400 from cybercat >:

> "Stan Brown" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:40:57 -0400 from cybercat >:
> >>
> >> My cat did this, until I figured out what she was upset
> >> about and fixed it. She had a raw pink belly, now she has loads of
> >> creamy,
> >> spotted fur.
> >
> > Don't leave us in suspense! What was the cause?

[explanation, snipped]

Thanks!

They're subtle creatures, our furry little masters, aren't they?!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

chatnoir
September 18th 08, 09:17 PM
On Sep 8, 10:55*am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Before I had to put my cats on Science Diet because of Icarus's UTI and
> blockages, I fed them Blue Buffalo Spa Select which was a more natural food.
> It worked well for them and they never threw it up. It can be found at
> Petsmart. It's expensive but good for the cats that have food allergies.

Well, the Vet gave me this info - it is a print site!:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=PRINT&A=656

excerpts:

The Eosinophilic Plaque

This lesion typically looks like a raised thickened raw area of skin
usually on the belly, inner thigh, anal, or throat area. Cats with
these lesions are commonly extremely itchy. A microscope slide pressed
onto the affected area often picks up numerous eosinophils which can
be detected under the microscope thus confirming this condition. Cats
with this condition generally have increased circulating eosinophils
in their bloodstreams as well. ...

Treatment

In most cases, the eosinophilic granuloma responds to cortisone-type
medications. Typically an injection of long acting corticosteroid
(such as Depo-Medrol) is given and most lesions resolve with one or
two injections. As long as such treatment is needed only once or twice
a year for recurrences, more exotic medications or diagnostics are not
needed.

Lesions that are more refractory are another story. Biopsy may be
needed to confirm the diagnosis of eosinophilic granuloma; tumors or
other ulcerative lesions may mimic the eosinophilic granuloma complex.
Biopsy may also elucidate less obvious underlying causes such as
Demodex mites or ringworm fungi. (Keep in mind eosinophilic granuloma
represents an inflammatory reaction to proteins deemed foreign by the
eosinophils). After one is confident of the diagnosis, treatments that
might be employed include:

A more aggressive steroid course (such as the well published protocol
of three Depo-Medrol injections given two weeks apart).
A food allergy diet trial to determine if food allergy is the
underlying source of inflammation. Keep in mind it is not possible to
control the diet of a cat that roams outdoors. ...

---------

From her examination under the microscope, she saw Eosinophils which
indicate allergy response! The fact that "the reaction can include
“self” proteins as well as external ones" seems to indicate an
autoimmune response develops! Which to me is not good! Have put
Nebby on a strict Natural balance of Duck and peas! This will show if
it is indeed a food allergy! The Eliz cone will have to stay on ! I
tried a neck ring but Nebby wedges it between to objects and pulls it
off no matter how tight I put it on!