PDA

View Full Version : Need Vet or group to be "House" like in diagnosing my cats

jpstruttan
September 9th 08, 03:59 AM
Hello,

Vet issue and multiple sick cats. Any Vets here to help with diagnostics? My
Vet is out of options.

I have a cat that in the past would get an asthmatic attack but then he would
be fine. He developed that condition after a food allergies (crab or some
other seafood, it was a mix)
Any how, no more food and it is now a very rare issues - once maybe twice a
year. He also has a slight wisp from time to time.

This is a little confusing but I want all of the information to be out there
because I don’t know what might be helpful. I have a cat named Joy about 4
years old who had a infection in her mouth. Took her to the vet and got some
penicillin and then had her go back and have the food removed from the teeth
that was causing the problem. All was fine. One or two days later one of my
other cats HeyYou started to sneeze from time to time. Or so it seemed. As it
got worse he had labored breathing, watery eyes and became sluggish.

The Vet decided that it was probably an allergy or his asthma getting worse.
He had no fever and was not sensitive to physical exam. The Vet wanted to
give him a steroid that takes a few weeks to release. I have a guy whose cat
got diabetes from this so I said not now let’s see how it goes. She said the
steroid will not cure anything just help him through the allergy season. I
did not like the risk even though she said it is unlikely.

So this should have been the end. But no. in the next couple days my other
cat HeyBuddy who has no issues with breathing started to sneeze. Then he got
so bad he barely moves and sits with his mouth partly open and breaths
laboriously.

Now HeyYou is more active – meeting me at door and not missing the morning
shower and HeyBuddy stays under the bed.

It seems like after a few days of pain and suffering (cant breath) it goes
away. Slowly.

Now Joy and my other cat Sissy are starting to sneeze. This was all mentioned
to the Vet who I don’t thing believes us. She has no interest in what it is
and says there is nothing she can do.

So has anyone else seen this? Is there a treatment to ease the breathing
issue for my two other cats?

Is it just me or if it’s not the standard set of cat illness or a steroid
does not fix it, then there is no diagnostics done? I have had cats that
isolate and become immobile before they die and I honestly thought that was
happening. I can’t think of anything else to do.

Any ideas? Anyone?

dejablues[_4_]
September 9th 08, 05:12 AM
"jpstruttan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello,
>
> Vet issue and multiple sick cats. Any Vets here to help with diagnostics?
> My
> Vet is out of options.
>
> I have a cat that in the past would get an asthmatic attack but then he
> would
> be fine. He developed that condition after a food allergies (crab or some
> other seafood, it was a mix)
> Any how, no more food and it is now a very rare issues - once maybe twice
> year. He also has a slight wisp from time to time.

"wisp"?

> This is a little confusing but I want all of the information to be out
> there
> because I don't know what might be helpful. I have a cat named Joy about 4
> years old who had a infection in her mouth. Took her to the vet and got
> some
> penicillin and then had her go back and have the food removed from the
> teeth
> that was causing the problem. All was fine. One or two days later one of
> my
> other cats HeyYou started to sneeze from time to time. Or so it seemed. As
> it
> got worse he had labored breathing, watery eyes and became sluggish.
>
> The Vet decided that it was probably an allergy or his asthma getting
> worse.
> He had no fever and was not sensitive to physical exam. The Vet wanted to
> give him a steroid that takes a few weeks to release. I have a guy whose
> cat
> got diabetes from this so I said not now let's see how it goes. She said
> the
> steroid will not cure anything just help him through the allergy season. I
> did not like the risk even though she said it is unlikely.
>
> So this should have been the end. But no. in the next couple days my other
> cat HeyBuddy who has no issues with breathing started to sneeze. Then he
> got
> so bad he barely moves and sits with his mouth partly open and breaths
> laboriously.
>
> Now HeyYou is more active - meeting me at door and not missing the morning
> shower and HeyBuddy stays under the bed.
>
> It seems like after a few days of pain and suffering (cant breath) it goes
> away. Slowly.
>
> Now Joy and my other cat Sissy are starting to sneeze. This was all
> mentioned
> to the Vet who I don't thing believes us. She has no interest in what it
> is
> and says there is nothing she can do.
>
> So has anyone else seen this? Is there a treatment to ease the breathing
> issue for my two other cats?
>
> Is it just me or if it's not the standard set of cat illness or a steroid
> does not fix it, then there is no diagnostics done? I have had cats that
> isolate and become immobile before they die and I honestly thought that
> was
> happening. I can't think of anything else to do.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone?

Mold in your house, environmental toxins, mycobacterial infection?
Have the vets have ruled out fungal infections like histoplasmosis,
cryptococcosis, or aspergillosis?
Since it's affecting all of your cats, it's got to be an environmental cause
or a transmissible infection. What kind of bloodwork was done?