PDA

View Full Version : Tumors

VIP
September 9th 08, 04:38 AM
Our 17 year old inside cat has a large tumor. We've had her to the Vet and
spoken with another Vet who is also a relative. Both Vets agree to do
nothing as she doesn't seem to be in pain - just wants to eat more often than
she did. Today though, there appears to be some "puss" seeping from the
tumor.
Just wondered whether anyone had been through something like this.

Rene S.
September 9th 08, 01:59 PM
Please get another opinion from another vet. There may be a simple
procedure (such as draining it if it's an abcess) that will make her
more comfortable.

Also, since she is eating more, get her thyroid levels checked. She
might have hyperthyroidism, which is not uncommon at her age.

VIP via CatKB.com
September 9th 08, 04:21 PM
Rene S. wrote:
>Please get another opinion from another vet. There may be a simple
>procedure (such as draining it if it's an abcess) that will make her
>more comfortable.
>
>Also, since she is eating more, get her thyroid levels checked. She
>might have hyperthyroidism, which is not uncommon at her age.

Many thanks Rene S. for replying. It has been determined pretty much, that
it is a tumor. One of the Vets had mentioned needle aspiration however, the
ramifications with this procedure could be spreading the tumor. Apparently,
surgery on a cat this age is risky at best. She did have her thyroid levels
checked over the past few months and all is o.k. considering her age. We're
going to watch her very carefully and just see what happens; as long as she
doesn't appear to be in pain.
Really appreciate you having replied.
Sue

Kevin Krell
September 10th 08, 08:25 AM
VIP wrote:
> Our 17 year old inside cat has a large tumor. We've had her to the Vet and
> spoken with another Vet who is also a relative. Both Vets agree to do
> nothing as she doesn't seem to be in pain - just wants to eat more often than
> she did. Today though, there appears to be some "puss" seeping from the
> tumor.
> Just wondered whether anyone had been through something like this.

You can look into alternative therapies for cancers, such as Mistletoe
Therapy (via a vet)

http://www.greatandsmall.co.nz/articles/mistletoe.html

and/or, on your own, can supplement the cat with Artemisinin (available
at health food stores), a Chinese herb which has been used in malaria
treatment, and which causes apotosis of cancer cells. Mine is on
100mg/day in addition to the Mistletoe, and of course quality food
(grainless if possible) and nutritional supplementation to support the
immune system.

There's info on the Yahoo Group
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/artemisinin_and_cancer/

Somewhat more severe is treatment (again through a vet) using a
bloodroot extract (oral, salve or injectable) called neoplasene. See
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/theblacksalvecanceropenforum/

You probably would not want to put an older cat through that process.

Kevin