PDA

View Full Version : The Tornado Drill

Pat[_2_]
September 12th 08, 03:15 AM
We've been having tornado warnings off and on since four o'clock this
afternoon, so I decided to open the 2' x 4' hole in the floor up and take
the kitties down to the basement, one by one. What an effort it was!

First off I haven't gotten around to building stairs yet so I had to go down
in stages using the top of the crawlspace wall as the first step, then
jumping down to the floor from there. I moved a 55-gallon metal barrel
against the wall and put a chair next to it, to make three steep steps. Then
I stood on the barrel and started grabbing curious cats as they peeked into
the hole.

Tommy came down first, followed by Beatrice, Lily, Billy, Annabelle and
Buzzy. To a cat, they all yowled in voices I had not yet heard from any of
them. Was it fear of an approaching twister, or fear of being thrown into
the bowels of hell? I was too wrapped up in the process to pay attention to
what the wind was doing. Eli and Baby Eyes never came near the hole, and
Abelard is locked in the bathroom.

By the time I got the six curious ones down into the basement, the warning
was lifted, and I had worked myself into a lather that is not yet dry. I
dare not let Aby out of the bathroom until everyone is back upstairs and the
cover is back on the hole, as I can't be certain he will avoid falling into
the hole, nor that he could make all four required jumps without taking a
hard fall onto the concrete floor of the basement, if he decided to go down
voluntarily.

Anyhow, at least most of us had a practice run at taking cover, and next
time will be easier. I am betting that the kitties will want to spend more
time in the basement from now on, too.

MLB
September 12th 08, 03:52 AM
Pat wrote:
> We've been having tornado warnings off and on since four o'clock this
> afternoon, so I decided to open the 2' x 4' hole in the floor up and take
> the kitties down to the basement, one by one. What an effort it was!
>
> First off I haven't gotten around to building stairs yet so I had to go down
> in stages using the top of the crawlspace wall as the first step, then
> jumping down to the floor from there. I moved a 55-gallon metal barrel
> against the wall and put a chair next to it, to make three steep steps. Then
> I stood on the barrel and started grabbing curious cats as they peeked into
> the hole.
>
> Tommy came down first, followed by Beatrice, Lily, Billy, Annabelle and
> Buzzy. To a cat, they all yowled in voices I had not yet heard from any of
> them. Was it fear of an approaching twister, or fear of being thrown into
> the bowels of hell? I was too wrapped up in the process to pay attention to
> what the wind was doing. Eli and Baby Eyes never came near the hole, and
> Abelard is locked in the bathroom.
>
> By the time I got the six curious ones down into the basement, the warning
> was lifted, and I had worked myself into a lather that is not yet dry. I
> dare not let Aby out of the bathroom until everyone is back upstairs and the
> cover is back on the hole, as I can't be certain he will avoid falling into
> the hole, nor that he could make all four required jumps without taking a
> hard fall onto the concrete floor of the basement, if he decided to go down
> voluntarily.
>
> Anyhow, at least most of us had a practice run at taking cover, and next
> time will be easier. I am betting that the kitties will want to spend more
> time in the basement from now on, too.
>

> Best wishes that you never have that emergenct. Perhaps you could find a suitable ladder to use unil you are able to build stairs. MLB

Pat[_2_]
September 12th 08, 04:42 AM
"MLB" > wrote

| > Best wishes that you never have that emergenct. Perhaps you could
| > find a suitable ladder to use unil you are able to build stairs. MLB

A twister touched down 3 blocks from my house on May 2nd this year. It
ripped trees out of the ground all along my street including one right next
door. We get active tornadic activity in this area frequently, especially in
spring and fall, but can happen anytime. I remember a storm last January
that went on all night and I couldn't sleep.

Sherry
September 12th 08, 06:55 AM
On Sep 11, 11:35�pm, hopitus > wrote:
> On Sep 11, 8:15 pm, "Pat" > wrote:
>

> > We've been having tornado warnings off and on since four o'clock this
> > afternoon, so I decided to open the 2' x 4' hole in the floor up and take
> > the kitties down to the basement, one by one. What an effort it was!
>
> > First off I haven't gotten around to building stairs yet so I had to go down
> > in stages using the top of the crawlspace wall as the first step, then
> > jumping down to the floor from there. I moved a 55-gallon metal barrel
> > against the wall and put a chair next to it, to make three steep steps. Then
> > I stood on the barrel and started grabbing curious cats as they peeked into
> > the hole.
>
> > Tommy came down first, followed by Beatrice, Lily, Billy, Annabelle and
> > Buzzy. To a cat, they all yowled in voices I had not yet heard from any of
> > them. Was it fear of an approaching twister, or fear of being thrown into
> > the bowels of hell? I was too wrapped up in the process to pay attention to
> > what the wind was doing. Eli and Baby Eyes never came near the hole, and
> > Abelard is locked in the bathroom.
>
> > By the time I got the six curious ones down into the basement, the warning
> > was lifted, and I had worked myself into a lather that is not yet dry. I
> > dare not let Aby out of the bathroom until everyone is back upstairs and the
> > cover is back on the hole, as I can't be certain he will avoid falling into
> > the hole, nor that he could make all four required jumps without taking a
> > hard fall onto the concrete floor of the basement, if he decided to go down
> > voluntarily.
>
> > Anyhow, at least most of us had a practice run at taking cover, and next
> > time will be easier. I am betting that the kitties will want to spend more
> > time in the basement from now on, too.
>
> When hopitus knows nothing about something, I freely admit
> it....knowing zilch
> about tornadoes, I still think your "drill" sounds pretty efficient,
> overall. My only
> concern would be if a twister was very near (I have heard the sound,
> once, when
> living in Miami, where one tore up a commercial block one block away
> from our
> building....it sounds very much like a train!) that you might become
> so worried/
> excited about getting all the cats down there and safe below that with
> those big
> steps you might make a misstep and break something on the way down,
> which
> would mess everything up, so to speak. Food treats in a practice drill
> may entice
> your cats to quickly enter the below-ground safe room with you. I
> *know* that
> cool as I am re 'canes, I'd be pretty freaked at an approaching
> twister.- Hide quoted text -

The good thing about tornadoes is that, if you're paying attention,
you do have
advance warning. We don't freak out about tornadoes anymore -- the new
dopplar
technology and the fleet of storm spotters nowadays pretty well
pinpoint the exact
location and path for you....still, I'm cautious. Best plan of action
here is, get the cats
in the carriers and round up a flashlight if it looks too close for
comfort. We go to the
interior bathroom. We have a storm cellar but it's just too creepy in
there.
But, yes, Pat, please *do* fix up a ladder until you can get something
more permanent
built. You don't want to break a leg!

Sherry

Sherry

Kyla =^..^=[_2_]
September 12th 08, 07:00 AM
"Pat" <

> "MLB" >
> | > Best wishes that you never have that emergenct. Perhaps you could
> | > find a suitable ladder to use unil you are able to build stairs. MLB

That's a good idea. Hope that you never have to use it for the real thing.

> A twister touched down 3 blocks from my house on May 2nd this year. It
> ripped trees out of the ground all along my street including one right
> next
> door. We get active tornadic activity in this area frequently, especially
> in
> spring and fall, but can happen anytime. I remember a storm last January
> that went on all night and I couldn't sleep.

Oh geez, those are so scary. I can't sleep if there are high winds either,
and we had a small tornado touch down near here a few weeks ago..in Seattle.
Purrs and prayers lovingly sent your way
Kyla

Pat[_2_]
September 12th 08, 07:04 AM
"Sherry" > wrote
> Pat, please *do* fix up a ladder until you can get something
> more permanent built. You don't want to break a leg!

Working on it.

Annabelle is still down there and I can't find her!!

Abelard stood at the top of the hole and looked down for a long time,
turning his head this way and that. He seemed to be trying to gauge whether
or not he ought to try going down. I didn't offer to take him down. We'll do
that another time. Baby Eyes and Eli both went to the top of the hole and
checked it out, but were uninterested in going down.

As to breaking legs, I'm more worried that I'll mis-step on the living room
floor and fall through the hole. I need to devise some sort of low railing
around it or something. But maybe this is just my fear of heights talking...