PDA

View Full Version : Kitty jealous of new baby

Wendy
September 14th 08, 12:02 AM
I got an email from a woman who adopted one of my fosters a couple of years
ago. This person has been an excellent pet owner and has always gotten the
appropriate vet care for her two babies. From the sound of her email this
current problem has her at her wits end though.

She said that the problems started when she brought the new baby home. It is
only one of her cats who is acting out the other is fine. IIRC her problem
kitty was primarily her cat and the other cat took more to her husband.

She wrote, "Her beef is not with the baby, but with me. When we first
brought him home, she pooped in my closet and under my bed, peed in the
laundry basket, pooped and peed in the pack -n- play (playpen) and when she
got diarrhea (??), she ran around the house letting it fly out of her butt.
She has NEVER not used the litter box like a responsible kitty until now.
For the past 2 months, she has religiously pooped somewhere in the vicinity
(same room) as her litter box, but not IN the litter box. She must be on a
poop every other day schedule because that's how often it happens.

We have tried spraying her with a water bottle, putting her nose in the poop
and smacking her nose, locking her in the downstairs bathroom with water and
a litter box, accupuncture (yes, you read right), throwing the poop back
into the litter box to show her that this is where poo goes, giving her 3
different kinds of herbal remedies (Field of Flowers, Relax-Tone and Rescue
Calm), showing her extra love and attention, letting her smell the baby and
come around him at will and most recently we got her a new litter box.
NOTHING has worked. It's as if she thinks there is nothing wrong with this
new behavior because she is still a very sweet kitty otherwise. Thank God
she stopped peeing in the clothes basket!

The vet says there is nothing physically wrong with her, by the way. She is
simply acting out of jealousy."

Anyone have any suggestions?

Janet
September 14th 08, 02:52 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
>I got an email from a woman who adopted one of my fosters a couple of years
>ago. This person has been an excellent pet owner and has always gotten the
>appropriate vet care for her two babies. From the sound of her email this
>current problem has her at her wits end though.
>
> She said that the problems started when she brought the new baby home. It
> is only one of her cats who is acting out the other is fine. IIRC her
> problem kitty was primarily her cat and the other cat took more to her
> husband.
>
> She wrote, "Her beef is not with the baby, but with me. When we first
> brought him home, she pooped in my closet and under my bed, peed in the
> laundry basket, pooped and peed in the pack -n- play (playpen) and when
> she got diarrhea (??), she ran around the house letting it fly out of her
> butt. She has NEVER not used the litter box like a responsible kitty until
> now. For the past 2 months, she has religiously pooped somewhere in the
> vicinity (same room) as her litter box, but not IN the litter box. She
> must be on a poop every other day schedule because that's how often it
> happens.
>
> We have tried spraying her with a water bottle, putting her nose in the
> poop and smacking her nose, locking her in the downstairs bathroom with
> water and a litter box, accupuncture (yes, you read right), throwing the
> poop back into the litter box to show her that this is where poo goes,
> giving her 3 different kinds of herbal remedies (Field of Flowers,
> Relax-Tone and Rescue Calm), showing her extra love and attention, letting
> her smell the baby and come around him at will and most recently we got
> her a new litter box. NOTHING has worked. It's as if she thinks there is
> nothing wrong with this new behavior because she is still a very sweet
> kitty otherwise. Thank God she stopped peeing in the clothes basket!
>
> The vet says there is nothing physically wrong with her, by the way. She
> is simply acting out of jealousy."
>

> Anyone have any suggestions?

How about confining her to a limited space for a couple of weeks until she
has given up eliminating inappropriately?

cybercat
September 14th 08, 03:19 AM
"Wendy" > wrote

> Anyone have any suggestions?

I would just keep her confined to a comfortable room with box and toys and
bed, and visit as much as possible, with much praise. Cats have a way of
expressing their displeasure, and this is a common way.

The flying around the house while pooping just kills me.

But another question: "when she has diarrhea?" What is up with that? My cat
never has it unless she is sick.

cshenk
September 14th 08, 06:48 PM
"cybercat" wrote
> "Wendy" > wrote

>> Anyone have any suggestions?

> I would just keep her confined to a comfortable room with box and toys and
> bed, and visit as much as possible, with much praise. Cats have a way of
> expressing their displeasure, and this is a common way.

Yes, jealous of the baby. Possibly not getting same amount of attention as
before?

> But another question: "when she has diarrhea?" What is up with that? My
> cat never has it unless she is sick.

Many people overuse 'furball medicines' which essentially act like exlax for
cats. Me, I never use them and never needed to once I caught on that a bit
of fat added to their diet works better and is better for them.

I just gave Daisy-cat and Cash-pup a treat. Vet said both had slightly dry
coats in comparison to their normal (still glossier than most others and
they had me describe my methods to a new pet owner). I was remiss a little
this last week because Cash was still a cone-head from neutering so was
feeding a little different.

They got the normal treat today. A thick chicken stock (consomme') with a
tablespoon of warmed duck rendered fat for Cash and a teaspoon of same for
Daisy.

cybercat
September 15th 08, 12:23 AM
"cshenk" > wrote
> They got the normal treat today. A thick chicken stock (consomme') with a
> tablespoon of warmed duck rendered fat for Cash and a teaspoon of same for
> Daisy.

Lucky babies!

cybercat
September 15th 08, 12:27 AM
"hopitus" > wrote >

>Cyber (I know who you are and where you are and consider you kind of
> a opposite sex Phil P.

My only objection to that is that Phil has forgotten more than I ever knew
about cats and is much more involved in saving abandoned cats! Thank you.

>I hope the 'cane did not do too much damage in'
> your neck of the local woods.

Not too bad at all thank you.

> What I'd appreciate to know is what you
> posted on as well as I did awhile ago re Woolite Carpet-cleaning Pod
> as I am having big problems finding it anywhere out here in MileHigh,
> CO.

I got mine in a Target if I recall correctly. I also saw them at Harris
Teeter, a local grocery. I am sure Walmart has them but I don't shop there.

> Pod doesn't smell and so handy as you said
> for the upholstered furniture.

It really is nice. The kind I used was pretty perfumed but I like the scent.

cshenk
September 16th 08, 01:11 AM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote

>> They got the normal treat today. A thick chicken stock (consomme') with
>> a tablespoon of warmed duck rendered fat for Cash and a teaspoon of same
>> for Daisy.
>
> Lucky babies!

Hehehee we like to spoil them, but are careful to do it in healthy for them
ways!

Basically I made a bone stock (for us, they get a share but we make it for
our own use) which you dip out a bit of the gelatin like stuff from the
fridge and warm it gently til just over room temps (turns liquid). This is
the 'stock' of my home cooking. I was *so* unamused with the canned sorts
when I had to devolve to that while waiting for my stuff to arrive here from
Japan (crockpots etc). Grin, forgive me but Don, Charlotte and I are used
to the 'good stuff' and I wont feed my pets something I wouldnt eat.

So I'll take 5-10 mins after baking a chicken to break up the carcass bones
and tuck them in a container in the freezer til I have enough then load them
in the crockpot, add water, and let it do it's thing for a day. Result is
almost like a gravy and exceptionally easy to turn into gravy with just a
little cornstarch. Without pets, I decant the fat and toss it (unless it's
duck!) but with pets I decant the fat for them. I am aware vegetable fats
are 'ok' (olive oil etc) for pets but meat fats are better for them.

I typically use about 1 gallon of stock a week (slightly less but not much
less) and make 2 gallons of chicken stock at a time every 3 weeks or so, 2G
of beef every 5 weeks or so, and 2G of pork about every other month. The
rest is dashi (fish stock, doesnt jell). Oh, and duck stock about every 3-4
months but often a smaller amount as we dont get and eat duck (whole is all
we get) but every 6-8 weeks.

So, with that volume of 'stock' going on, it's an easy thing to broth feed a
noshe for a pet ;-) Don's out and Charlotte was at school but I note the
chicken 'consomme' has a dip so I bet they got that for the mid-day 'snack'
again. (In the cooking place you will see I got home late and that I made
pancit for dinner).