PDA

View Full Version : Hold the fort!

Marina
September 20th 08, 05:38 AM
I bought mysef a new swivel chair for my desk. It was delivered in a
huge cardboard box with different compartments for the parts of the
chair (yes, I had to assemble it myself). It is long, with two
compartments lengthwise, and then there's a crosswise compartment at the
end.

Anyone with cats knows what a treasure a cardboard box can be, but this
is a veritable Rolls Royce of cardboard boxes! It's a whole 3-room condo
for cats. Both cats absolutely love it. They stalk each other through
the different compartments, they chase toys through them, there are all
those nooks and crannies to hide in.

Just now, Caliban is valiantly defending his fort against two intruder
balls, one big blue eccentric ball that darts this way and that to foil
him, and one ping-pong ball that runs away if he so much as looks at it.
Mostly I don't see him at all, I can just hear him rummaging inside the
box, and then one of the balls comes shooting out of one of the openings.

Somehow, the balls always manage to enter the fort from another opening
<looks skyward and whistles> and the frenzied rummaging starts all over
again.

Later in the day, when it's lighter, I may be able to catch this on
video. Meanwhile, he has me in stitches, as usual.

tanadashoes
September 20th 08, 06:02 AM
"Marina" > wrote in message
>I bought mysef a new swivel chair for my desk. It was delivered in a huge
>cardboard box with different compartments for the parts of the chair (yes,
>I had to assemble it myself). It is long, with two compartments lengthwise,
>and then there's a crosswise compartment at the end.
>
> Anyone with cats knows what a treasure a cardboard box can be, but this is
> a veritable Rolls Royce of cardboard boxes! It's a whole 3-room condo for
> cats. Both cats absolutely love it. They stalk each other through the
> different compartments, they chase toys through them, there are all those
> nooks and crannies to hide in.
>
> Just now, Caliban is valiantly defending his fort against two intruder
> balls, one big blue eccentric ball that darts this way and that to foil
> him, and one ping-pong ball that runs away if he so much as looks at it.
> Mostly I don't see him at all, I can just hear him rummaging inside the
> box, and then one of the balls comes shooting out of one of the openings.
>
> Somehow, the balls always manage to enter the fort from another opening
> <looks skyward and whistles> and the frenzied rummaging starts all over
> again.
>
> Later in the day, when it's lighter, I may be able to catch this on video.
> Meanwhile, he has me in stitches, as usual.

I want to see this one. Caliban reminds me of Pine Cone (you freak). They
both have that solemn look on their faces as they do something totally
inane. You gotta laugh.

Pam S. who watched PC get his claws clipped last night and actually kept
from laughing

September 20th 08, 10:18 AM
Marina > wrote:

> I bought mysef a new swivel chair for my desk. It was delivered in a
> huge cardboard box with different compartments for the parts of the
> chair (yes, I had to assemble it myself). It is long, with two
> compartments lengthwise, and then there's a crosswise compartment at the
> end.

> Anyone with cats knows what a treasure a cardboard box can be, but this
> is a veritable Rolls Royce of cardboard boxes! It's a whole 3-room condo
> for cats. Both cats absolutely love it. They stalk each other through
> the different compartments, they chase toys through them, there are all
> those nooks and crannies to hide in.

> Just now, Caliban is valiantly defending his fort against two intruder
> balls, one big blue eccentric ball that darts this way and that to foil
> him, and one ping-pong ball that runs away if he so much as looks at it.
> Mostly I don't see him at all, I can just hear him rummaging inside the
> box, and then one of the balls comes shooting out of one of the openings.

> Somehow, the balls always manage to enter the fort from another opening
> <looks skyward and whistles> and the frenzied rummaging starts all over
> again.

> Later in the day, when it's lighter, I may be able to catch this on
> video. Meanwhile, he has me in stitches, as usual.

It was very thoughtful of you to get your kitties this wonderful toy.
It sounds like a good cat-toy company, giving you a nice swivel chair as
a bonus.

I look forward to seeing this video, if you can get one, or at the very
least, a few photos of cat eyes peering out of various compartments, or
a stray paw poking through an opening.

--
Joyce ^..^

jmcquown[_2_]
September 20th 08, 11:35 AM
hopitus wrote:
> On Sep 19, 10:38 pm, Marina > wrote:
>> I bought mysef a new swivel chair for my desk. It was delivered in a
>> huge cardboard box with different compartments for the parts of the
>> chair (yes, I had to assemble it myself). It is long, with two
>> compartments lengthwise, and then there's a crosswise compartment at
>> the end.
>>
>> Later in the day, when it's lighter, I may be able to catch this on
>> video. Meanwhile, he has me in stitches, as usual.
>>
>> --
>> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
>
> What fun! My PC chair box didn''t come liket that. Please try to
> videotape.

No kidding. Mine came in just a plain fairly flat box. No compartments, no
fun! Can't wait to see these cats in their veritable cardboard castle!

Jill

Victor Martinez
September 20th 08, 02:15 PM
Marina wrote:
> Mostly I don't see him at all, I can just hear him rummaging inside the
> box, and then one of the balls comes shooting out of one of the openings.

LOL! I wonder if I can purchase a box like that somewhere?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Marina

> It was very thoughtful of you to get your kitties this wonderful toy.
> It sounds like a good cat-toy company, giving you a nice swivel
> chair as a bonus.

IKEA: Cat Toys R Us. :)

> I look forward to seeing this video, if you can get one, or at the
> very least, a few photos of cat eyes peering out of various
> compartments, or a stray paw poking through an opening.

It was a rainy day, so not very bright, and when I filmed them, the cats
were ready for naptime with Meowmie under the blankies, so they're not
as wild here as they were in the morning. I don't know how well
Caliban's rummaging would have shown up on video, anyway, and that's
what made me laugh so hard. But here are two short clips to give you
some idea of the Box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_g4U5TeJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPa7TscWZdU

Marina
September 20th 08, 02:41 PM
Victor Martinez wrote:

> LOL! I wonder if I can purchase a box like that somewhere?

I'm thinking maybe I should fortify it with tape so it doesn't
disintegrate. The cats are loving it so much.

The videos also show how much floor space it takes up. :P

Will in New Haven
September 20th 08, 04:00 PM
On Sep 20, 9:41 am, Marina > wrote:
> Victor Martinez wrote:
>
> > LOL! I wonder if I can purchase a box like that somewhere?
>
> I'm thinking maybe I should fortify it with tape so it doesn't
> disintegrate. The cats are loving it so much.
>
> The videos also show how much floor space it takes up. :P

I wonder if they would sell the box without the chair. WooToo and I
already have two computer chairs. But I think she would love the box
and I don't need that space in the corner there. Much.

--
Will in New Haven

"Got out of town on a boat to the southern islands.
Sailing a reach before a followin' sea.
She was makin' for the trades on the outside,
And the downhill run to Papeete."
Stephen Stills, Rick Curtis and Michael Curtis - “Southern Cross”

Kreisleriana[_3_]
September 20th 08, 04:24 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message

>> It was very thoughtful of you to get your kitties this wonderful toy.
>> It sounds like a good cat-toy company, giving you a nice swivel chair as
>> a bonus.
>
> IKEA: Cat Toys R Us. :)
>

>> I look forward to seeing this video, if you can get one, or at the very
>> least, a few photos of cat eyes peering out of various compartments, or a
>> stray paw poking through an opening.
>>

> It was a rainy day, so not very bright, and when I filmed them, the cats
> were ready for naptime with Meowmie under the blankies, so they're not as
> wild here as they were in the morning. I don't know how well Caliban's
> rummaging would have shown up on video, anyway, and that's what made me
> laugh so hard. But here are two short clips to give you some idea of the
> Box:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_g4U5TeJU
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPa7TscWZdU
>
> --
> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

What a palatial box! What a magnificent hoomin slave you kitties have! ;)

Reminds me of the box we got a few years ago with a space heater. It was
tall, so when we put it on the floor, it was like a long cardboard tunnel.
Stinky took up residence at one end of it, and when he saw something out the
other end (like my feet), he would come shooting through the tunnel and out.
It looked like he was being shot out of a cannon. ;)

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Marina
September 21st 08, 04:18 AM
Will in New Haven wrote:
> I wonder if they would sell the box without the chair. WooToo and I
> already have two computer chairs. But I think she would love the box
> and I don't need that space in the corner there. Much.

I'm sure WooToo wouldn't mind one more chair to keep her PawPaw out of. ;)

Miranda loves my new chair. She started making it her own immediately.
We have already started playing the game of 'spinning cat' every time
she's in the chair when I want it. She seems to like to spin around. She
also enjoys the feel of it under her claws. Apparently it's much better
than any scratching pole...

September 21st 08, 04:34 AM
Marina > wrote:

> It was a rainy day, so not very bright, and when I filmed them, the cats
> were ready for naptime with Meowmie under the blankies, so they're not
> as wild here as they were in the morning. I don't know how well
> Caliban's rummaging would have shown up on video, anyway, and that's
> what made me laugh so hard. But here are two short clips to give you
> some idea of the Box:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_g4U5TeJU
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPa7TscWZdU

For some reason, Caliban looks dwarfed by the box, with his little face
peeking out from an opening. But Mir doesn't! I think it's also a funhouse
box. :)

The light was fine in the video, actually even a bit overexposed-looking
(but I could see it fine), so no worries that it was too dark.

--
Joyce ^..^

Marina
September 21st 08, 05:23 AM
wrote:
> For some reason, Caliban looks dwarfed by the box, with his little face
> peeking out from an opening. But Mir doesn't! I think it's also a funhouse
> box. :)

Sometimes Mir forgets she's supposed to be a tiny little cat and shows
her real self. That cat can change sizes like I can change shoes. :P

> The light was fine in the video, actually even a bit overexposed-looking
> (but I could see it fine), so no worries that it was too dark.

I brightened it with Windows Movie Maker, the only editing program I
know how to use.

polonca12000
October 3rd 08, 10:53 PM
Marina wrote:
> I bought mysef a new swivel chair for my desk. It was delivered in a
> huge cardboard box with different compartments for the parts of the
> chair (yes, I had to assemble it myself). It is long, with two
> compartments lengthwise, and then there's a crosswise compartment at the
> end.
>
> Anyone with cats knows what a treasure a cardboard box can be, but this
> is a veritable Rolls Royce of cardboard boxes! <snip>

It's great that you got such a wonderful present for your kitties, Marina ;)
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek