PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very sad

Gail[_2_]
September 20th 08, 04:11 PM
A cat rescue near me had an outbreak of feline calicivirus. They lost 82
cats. The disease did not discriminate between adults or kittens. Has anyone
experienced this? Thanks in advance.
Gail

September 21st 08, 03:24 AM
On Sep 20, 8:11*am, "Gail" > wrote:
> A cat rescue near me had an outbreak of feline calicivirus. They lost 82
> cats. The disease did not discriminate between adults or kittens. Has anyone
> experienced this? Thanks in advance.
> Gail

That is so sad to hear. I had not heard of that so I looked it up. It
was described as a common viral disease which is part of the feline
upper respiratory infection (URI) complex, a group of viral and
bacterial infections. It also stated for treatment, except in cases of
severe pneumonia, treatment is supportive and provided on an
outpatient basis. I wonder if all were so bad they decided not to
treat them? I was curious since I had recently adopted 2 kittens from
the SPCA and a few days after I brought them home they both ended up
coming down with an URI. They were both treated with antibiotics and
the smallest of the two actually went through three rounds and now
starting to get better.

Gail[_2_]
September 21st 08, 04:14 AM
The cats became ill very suddenly and died 24 hours later, is what they
said. I think it was a very virulent strain.
Gail