PDA

View Full Version : Balinese urinating outside litter box

Richard
September 25th 08, 04:50 PM
I adopted Muziako from a rescue group at age 1.5. He is a male
neutered Balinese. I don't know anything about why he was given up or
when he was neutered. He came into my house with 4 other cats and
proceeded to pee on the bed within 5 minutes of bringing him home.
Since then he has peed several times a month on rugs, bed and cushions
for the past 7 years. I have had blood work done and consulted vets
and nothing medically has been found.

Based on my research, I have tried:

1) kitty valium or some drug that lessens anxiety for several months
2) more litter boxes than cats
3) placing him in a room or cage by himself with food, attention and
his own litter box for several weeks at a time
4) given him Cosequin for several months

all to no avail.

Sometimes outdoor/indoor, sometimes indoor, now only indoors.

There have been cats in the neighborhood wandering at previous houses
- but not a current house. He has no interest in going outside at the
new house (which we have been in for 3 weeks).

I moved into a new house so now he is peeing or pooping every day
outside the litter box, which I understand is a temporary reaction to
the change.

What will minimize or eliminate his out of box peeing long term
assuming no medical complications?

"Richard" > wrote in message
>I adopted Muziako from a rescue group at age 1.5.

How old is he now?

He is a male
> neutered Balinese. I don't know anything about why he was given up

Oh, I think you do now. Inappropriate elimination is one of the leading
reasons people abandon their pets. It is very hard to live with, as you
know.

> Based on my research, I have tried:
>
> 1) kitty valium or some drug that lessens anxiety for several months
> 2) more litter boxes than cats
> 3) placing him in a room or cage by himself with food, attention and
> his own litter box for several weeks at a time
> 4) given him Cosequin for several months
>
> all to no avail.
>
> Sometimes outdoor/indoor, sometimes indoor, now only indoors.

Looks like you have tried everything I know. I would confine Muziako
permanently to a room until his innate feline addiction to habit changes his
behavior, but that is just me. It is the only thing I have ever tried that
worked, and in the end, my cat stopped the behavior. She has not peed on the
rugs now for months. Good luck, and I hope someone has a new thing for you
to try. (You did take him to the vet, right?)

Richard
September 25th 08, 07:11 PM
On Sep 25, 12:54*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Richard" > wrote in message

> >I adopted Muziako from a rescue group at age 1.5.
>
> How old is he now?
>
> *He is a male
>
> > neutered Balinese. *I don't know anything about why he was given up
>
> Oh, I think you do now. Inappropriate elimination is one of the leading
> reasons people abandon their pets. It is very hard to live with, as you
> know.
>

> > Based on my research, I have tried:
>
> > 1) kitty valium or some drug that lessens anxiety for several months
> > 2) more litter boxes than cats
> > 3) placing him in a room or cage by himself with food, attention and
> > his own litter box for several weeks at a time
> > 4) given him Cosequin for several months
>
> > all to no avail.
>
> > Sometimes outdoor/indoor, sometimes indoor, now only indoors.
>
> Looks like you have tried everything I know. I would confine Muziako
> permanently to a room until his innate feline addiction to habit changes his
> behavior, but that is just me. It is the only thing I have ever tried that
> worked, and in the end, my cat stopped the behavior. She has not peed on the
> rugs now for months. Good luck, and I hope someone has a new thing for you
> to try. (You did take him to the vet, right?)

Yes, I am taking to a vet for consultation as I have done in the
past. He is about 8 years now.

"Richard" > wrote
>Yes, I am taking to a vet for consultation as I have done in the
>past. He is about 8 years now.

You're a long-suffering guy. I hope you solve it.