PDA

View Full Version : Ping Houstonians / Near Houstonians - OT Need Advice

CatNipped[_2_]
September 25th 08, 07:30 PM
Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or service?

Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it with
another gas heater since it wouldn't be up to code (they don't make short
enough gas heaters to fit in our attic and still have enough room beneath
the roof to prevent a fire hazard). We're going to have to get an electric
water heater which means we'll have to wire the attic for 240v. In our old
house this may mean other rewiring is needed and possibly an upgrade of our
breaker box.

I'd rather not just start looking in the phone book for someone to come out
and give us an estimate - this is always time consuming and frustrating and
you're never guaranteed good work (after surviving Ike, I'd prefer not to
have our house burn down from faulty wiring).

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmcquown[_2_]
September 25th 08, 10:19 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or
> service?
> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it
>
> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Check servicemagic.com

http://www.servicemagic.com/task.Water-Heater-Install-or-Replace.40114.html?fromCatOID=-10420

or

http://tinyurl.com/43abwd

A friend (granted, lots of miles away from Houston!) swears by this web site
for household repairs, etc. She found someone to redo her kitchen a year
ago with new cabinets and was totally happy. The contractors reviews aren't
that great but isn't it the consumer reviews that count? They're the ones
who judge the remodel/repair.

You shop for the best you can get but the lowest price can get you Bubba's
Repair Service with great service but no real warranty. Hence my parent's
"tax preparer" and their "pest control" people. They went for cheap, they
got cheap. But there's no guarantee if you pay top dollar you'll get that,
either. YMMV.

Does your homeowners policy cover the damage? Back home I've got earthquake
insurance even though there hasn't been a recorded earthquake there since
1976. There's extra flood (as in hurricane floods) insurance on this house.
It's never been flooded due to a hurricane. The regular homeowners policy
covers things like a water heater or pipes bursting no matter what the
cause. Anyway, good luck, Lori.

Jill

CatNipped[_2_]
September 25th 08, 10:34 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> CatNipped wrote:
>> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or
>> service?
>> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it
>>
>> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Check servicemagic.com
>
> http://www.servicemagic.com/task.Water-Heater-Install-or-Replace.40114.html?fromCatOID=-10420
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/43abwd
>
> A friend (granted, lots of miles away from Houston!) swears by this web
> site for household repairs, etc. She found someone to redo her kitchen a
> year ago with new cabinets and was totally happy. The contractors reviews
> aren't that great but isn't it the consumer reviews that count? They're
> the ones who judge the remodel/repair.
>
> You shop for the best you can get but the lowest price can get you Bubba's
> Repair Service with great service but no real warranty. Hence my parent's
> "tax preparer" and their "pest control" people. They went for cheap, they
> got cheap. But there's no guarantee if you pay top dollar you'll get
> that, either. YMMV.
>
> Does your homeowners policy cover the damage? Back home I've got
> earthquake insurance even though there hasn't been a recorded earthquake
> there since 1976. There's extra flood (as in hurricane floods) insurance
> on this house. It's never been flooded due to a hurricane. The regular
> homeowners policy covers things like a water heater or pipes bursting no
> matter what the cause. Anyway, good luck, Lori.
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jill, I'll check it out. The water heater wasn't Ike damage - it
happened before Ike. The Ike damage is covered, but with a $1,500
deductible (I don't know if we'll have that much damage - I think it will
depend on the deck damage, which could be costly).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Chris H
September 26th 08, 12:24 AM
Sorry to hear that you've got this to add to your list...:(

Can you tell what has actually failed on the heater? Obviously, if it's
the tank, there's not much that can be done except replace the whole
unit, but cal rods, thermostatic controls, gas valves, overpressure
valves and even burners can often be replaced.

You might try Angie's List, though they have a fee for membership.
http://www.angieslist.com (if that doesn't work, just Google Angie's
List). You might be able to use other people's recommendations to
pick out a decent contractor, or at least someone who might be
able to give you advice...or might be able to find an odd sized
water heater that will do what you need.

There might also be a type of on-demand heater that might work for you,
but I'm not up on all the current varieties available. I know they have
gas versions, and since they're on-demand, they don't have the same tank
assemblies, so the form might fit your existing space without the need
for extra wiring.

Regardless, good luck with it, and I'll make sure the Fairfax Fur
Factory sends out their "good resolution" purrs...

Chris, Katie, Hazard and Oreo
(In loving memory of Tripper)

]CatNipped wrote:
> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or service?
>
> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it with
> another gas heater since it wouldn't be up to code (they don't make short
> enough gas heaters to fit in our attic and still have enough room beneath
> the roof to prevent a fire hazard). We're going to have to get an electric
> water heater which means we'll have to wire the attic for 240v. In our old
> house this may mean other rewiring is needed and possibly an upgrade of our
> breaker box.
>
> I'd rather not just start looking in the phone book for someone to come out
> and give us an estimate - this is always time consuming and frustrating and
> you're never guaranteed good work (after surviving Ike, I'd prefer not to
> have our house burn down from faulty wiring).
>
> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

MaryL
September 26th 08, 01:16 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or service?
>
> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it with
> another gas heater since it wouldn't be up to code (they don't make short
> enough gas heaters to fit in our attic and still have enough room beneath
> the roof to prevent a fire hazard). We're going to have to get an
> electric water heater which means we'll have to wire the attic for 240v.
> In our old house this may mean other rewiring is needed and possibly an
> upgrade of our breaker box.
>
> I'd rather not just start looking in the phone book for someone to come
> out and give us an estimate - this is always time consuming and
> frustrating and you're never guaranteed good work (after surviving Ike,
> I'd prefer not to have our house burn down from faulty wiring).
>
> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I don't know of any electricians, but have you considered relocating your
HWH (possibly to the garage or to a closet in your house)? I have had two
different friends who suffered massive damage because the HWH rusted through
and flooded the attic, and then down to the interior of the house. When I
bought my house, one of the things I looked for was a HWH that would not be
in the attic. My current house has the HWH in a storage room attached to
the garage, so there is a step down from the house to the level of the
heater. That is ideal. My previous house had the HWH in a closet within
the house. That is better, but still presents a problem if the heater leaks
because it can flood the main floor. If there is a way for you to do this,
you could continue with a gas heater instead of converting to electric.

MaryL

:-\)Liz[_3_]
September 26th 08, 03:31 AM
You might first look into "On Demand" water heaters...smaller, less wattage
used and much more economical...That's the route we're going next time
around.. :-) Liz

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or service?
>
> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it with
> another gas heater since it wouldn't be up to code (they don't make short
> enough gas heaters to fit in our attic and still have enough room beneath
> the roof to prevent a fire hazard). We're going to have to get an
> electric water heater which means we'll have to wire the attic for 240v.
> In our old house this may mean other rewiring is needed and possibly an
> upgrade of our breaker box.
>
> I'd rather not just start looking in the phone book for someone to come
> out and give us an estimate - this is always time consuming and
> frustrating and you're never guaranteed good work (after surviving Ike,
> I'd prefer not to have our house burn down from faulty wiring).
>
> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Sam
September 26th 08, 04:16 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> Anyone in the Houston area know of a good, honest electrician or service?
>
> Our hot water heater went out and we found out we can't replace it with
> another gas heater since it wouldn't be up to code (they don't make short
> enough gas heaters to fit in our attic and still have enough room beneath
> the roof to prevent a fire hazard). We're going to have to get an electric
> water heater which means we'll have to wire the attic for 240v. In our old
> house this may mean other rewiring is needed and possibly an upgrade of our
> breaker box.
>
> I'd rather not just start looking in the phone book for someone to come out
> and give us an estimate - this is always time consuming and frustrating and
> you're never guaranteed good work (after surviving Ike, I'd prefer not to
> have our house burn down from faulty wiring).
>
> Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

You might try angieslist (www.angieslist.com) or checkbook
(www.checkbook.com - I think). Both have lists of contractors who do
the kind of thing you're interested in. Lists are graded. In
Checkbook's case by quality of work and price. In the case of
angieslist, there's just an A-F grade based on other users' experiences
with each listed contractor. Angieslist can be monthly $6.95/month with
a $15 one-time signup fee. Checkbook was $27 yearly.

We just had our furnace replaced and used both. Selected a contractor
that was hightly rated on both lists. Very happy with the outcome so
far (it was just replaced yesterday and they seemed to do a thorough and
clean job).

Purrs for an effective and inexpensive solution.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe

CatNipped[_2_]
September 28th 08, 04:23 PM
> I don't know of any electricians, but have you considered relocating your
> HWH (possibly to the garage or to a closet in your house)? I have had two
> different friends who suffered massive damage because the HWH rusted
> through and flooded the attic, and then down to the interior of the house.
> When I bought my house, one of the things I looked for was a HWH that
> would not be in the attic. My current house has the HWH in a storage room
> attached to the garage, so there is a step down from the house to the
> level of the heater. That is ideal. My previous house had the HWH in a
> closet within the house. That is better, but still presents a problem if
> the heater leaks because it can flood the main floor. If there is a way
> for you to do this, you could continue with a gas heater instead of
> converting to electric.
>
> MaryL

Our water heater has a large drip pan under it with a drainage pipe that
leads outside. The tank itself *did* rupture, but we didn't get any water in
the house, it was diverted successfully.

We just don't have to money to dig up the inlet water pipe to the house and
reroute it to the garage - we're talking 5 figures at least to do a plumbing
job that big. When we first moved in we had an outlet pipe that was clogged
with tree roots and it cost us $5,000 just to have it dug up and a small
section replaced.

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
September 30th 08, 03:56 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> I don't know of any electricians, but have you considered relocating your
>> HWH (possibly to the garage or to a closet in your house)? I have had
>> two different friends who suffered massive damage because the HWH rusted
>> through and flooded the attic, and then down to the interior of the
>> house. When I bought my house, one of the things I looked for was a HWH
>> that would not be in the attic. My current house has the HWH in a
>> storage room attached to the garage, so there is a step down from the
>> house to the level of the heater. That is ideal. My previous house had
>> the HWH in a closet within the house. That is better, but still presents
>> a problem if the heater leaks because it can flood the main floor. If
>> there is a way for you to do this, you could continue with a gas heater
>> instead of converting to electric.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> Our water heater has a large drip pan under it with a drainage pipe that
> leads outside. The tank itself *did* rupture, but we didn't get any water
> in the house, it was diverted successfully.
>
> We just don't have to money to dig up the inlet water pipe to the house
> and reroute it to the garage - we're talking 5 figures at least to do a
> plumbing job that big. When we first moved in we had an outlet pipe that
> was clogged with tree roots and it cost us $5,000 just to have it dug up
> and a small section replaced.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

WOW! I had no idea it would be that expensive. So, I retract my
suggestion...another poor idea. :o(

MaryL