PDA

View Full Version : Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

-Lost
September 30th 08, 09:26 AM
Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?

I've noticed that our cats are grazing on dog food between feedings
-- anyone have a tip or two on how to curb this behavior?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Rene S.
September 30th 08, 03:47 PM
On Sep 30, 3:26*am, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?
>
> I've noticed that our cats are grazing on dog food between feedings
> -- anyone have a tip or two on how to curb this behavior?
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. *Don't e-mail me. *I am
> kidding. *No I am not.

I would either:
1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
period of time (15-30 minutes)
or
2. Put the dog's food somewhere the cats don't/can't go.

-Lost
October 1st 08, 01:59 AM
Response to "Rene S." >:

<snip>

> I would either:
> 1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
> period of time (15-30 minutes)

I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times --
not excessively.

> or
> 2. Put the dog's food somewhere the cats don't/can't go.

On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
the dogs' chances would be nil.

We have to figure something out our largest cat is packing weight
back on after a successful stint at dieting because he refuses to
keep his sniffer out of the dog bowl.

Thank you for your input.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

dejablues[_4_]
October 1st 08, 05:06 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "Rene S." >:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I would either:
>> 1. Give all animals timed feedings and take the food away after a
>> period of time (15-30 minutes)
>
> I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times --
> not excessively.

They don't need to do that. If the dogs don't eat their all of their food
when it's given, take it away. They will soon learn to eat it all. If they
don't , you are overfeeding them.
This will also help regulate their elimination schedule.

Rene S.
October 1st 08, 02:10 PM
> On a serious note, does such a place exist? *And if so, how would
> the dogs get there? *I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
> the dogs' chances would be nil.

I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
for instance.

-Lost
October 2nd 08, 12:04 AM
Response to "Rene S." >:

>> On a serious note, does such a place exist? *And if so, how
>> would the dogs get there? *I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach
>> the food the dogs' chances would be nil.
>
> I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like
> the porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times
> of the day, for instance.

I think I like that idea. Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
October 2nd 08, 12:50 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in message

>> On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
>> the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
>> the dogs' chances would be nil.

>I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
>porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
>for instance.

WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out difficult
problems like this!

jmc
October 2nd 08, 02:23 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):
> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>
>>> On a serious note, does such a place exist? And if so, how would
>>> the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
>>> the dogs' chances would be nil.
>
>> I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
>> porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
>> for instance.

<unnecessary_sarcasm>

> WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out difficult
> problems like this!

</unnecessary_sarcasm>

there, I fixed that for you.

Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a
really obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it
out? No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.

yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight :)

jmc

cybercat
October 2nd 08, 05:23 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):

>>> I was thinking somewhere the cats aren't usually allowed, like the
>>> porch. The dogs could be fed on the porch at certain times of the day,
>>> for instance.
>>
> <unnecessary_sarcasm>
>
>> WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out
>> difficult problems like this!
>
> </unnecessary_sarcasm>
>
> there, I fixed that for you.
>
> Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a really
> obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it out?
> No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.
>
> yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight :)

I sent a reply to you via email, since you sent *this* to my email address.
Since your address is munged, it bounced. So here is my reply:

I just cannot stand "Lost." There is something just not at all genuine about
this attention-seeking ass. You know me ... we've both been around a while.
I generally do not suffer in silence. :)

Thanks for writing.

jmc
October 3rd 08, 02:07 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/2/2008 12:23 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):

>> <unnecessary_sarcasm>
>>
>>> WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out
>>> difficult problems like this!
>> </unnecessary_sarcasm>
>>
>> there, I fixed that for you.
>>
>> Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a really
>> obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it out?
>> No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.
>>
>> yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight :)
>>
> I sent a reply to you via email, since you sent *this* to my email address.
> Since your address is munged, it bounced. So here is my reply:
>
> I just cannot stand "Lost." There is something just not at all genuine about
> this attention-seeking ass. You know me ... we've both been around a while.
> I generally do not suffer in silence. :)
>
> Thanks for writing.

Didn't get your email, and sending it to your email musta been a glitch,
cause I didn't do it on purpose - sorry.

I noticed the "not suffer in silence" thingy. I do. Suffer in silence,
usually. Flamewars, to me, are pointless. Entertaining sometimes, if
I'm not involved :)

jmc

cybercat
October 3rd 08, 03:52 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/2/2008 12:23 AM):
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):

>>> <unnecessary_sarcasm>

>>> </unnecessary_sarcasm>
>>>
>>> there, I fixed that for you.
>>>
>>> Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a
>>> really obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it
>>> out? No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.
>>>
>>> yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight :)
>>>
>> I sent a reply to you via email, since you sent *this* to my email
>> address. Since your address is munged, it bounced. So here is my reply:
>>
>> I just cannot stand "Lost." There is something just not at all genuine
>> about this attention-seeking ass. You know me ... we've both been around
>> a while. I generally do not suffer in silence. :)
>>
>> Thanks for writing.
>
> Didn't get your email, and sending it to your email musta been a glitch,
> cause I didn't do it on purpose - sorry.
>
> I noticed the "not suffer in silence" thingy. I do. Suffer in silence,
> usually. Flamewars, to me, are pointless. Entertaining sometimes, if I'm
> not involved :)

I wasn't flaming anyone. There's a middle ground between flaming and
acknowledging horse****. I'll leave it to you and Rene to tiptoe through the
bozos and validate their assinine plays for attention. Life is just too gd
short for that, for me.

news[_2_]
October 5th 08, 04:20 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/1/2008 7:50 PM):

>> <unnecessary_sarcasm>
>>
>>> WOW, you're a genius! "Lost" is so lucky to have you to work out
>>> difficult problems like this!
>>
>> </unnecessary_sarcasm>
>>
>> there, I fixed that for you.
>>
>> Seriously, cybercat, you've never had a "duh!" moment, ever, when a
>> really obvious solution to a problem escapes you until someone points it
>> out? No, wow, you must be the smartest person in the world then.
>>
>> yea, I'm feeling snarky tonight :)
>>
> I sent a reply to you via email, since you sent *this* to my email
> address. Since your address is munged, it bounced. So here is my reply:
>
> I just cannot stand "Lost." There is something just not at all genuine
> about this attention-seeking ass.

Exactly.

news[_2_]
October 5th 08, 04:25 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times --
> not excessively.

Dogs don't need to "graze". They do better with regulated feeding times.

> On a serious note, does such a place exist?

It's *your* house.

And if so, how would
> the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the food
> the dogs' chances would be nil.
>
> We have to figure something out our largest cat is packing weight
> back on after a successful stint at dieting because he refuses to
> keep his sniffer out of the dog bowl.

You refuse to try and keep dog food away from him.
If he got a proper diet , he wouldn't want to eat dog food anyway.

-Lost
October 5th 08, 06:01 AM
Response to "news" >:

>> I'm not sure this will work as the dogs graze at random times
>> -- not excessively.
>
> Dogs don't need to "graze". They do better with regulated
> feeding times.

What do you mean by "do better?"

>> On a serious note, does such a place exist?
>
> It's *your* house.

It was an attempt at serious comedy. I could not think of a single
place that a dog could get to that our cats could not.

> And if so, how would
>> the dogs get there? I'm guessing if a cat cannot reach the
>> food the dogs' chances would be nil.
>>
>> We have to figure something out our largest cat is packing
>> weight back on after a successful stint at dieting because he
>> refuses to keep his sniffer out of the dog bowl.
>
> You refuse to try and keep dog food away from him.
> If he got a proper diet , he wouldn't want to eat dog food
> anyway.

I'm not completely sure you know what my frame of mind is, however
I'll note that my family and I are following what my wife has
garnered from information presented in this newsgroup.

Have you some better dietary advice? The larger cat tries to eat
dog food I imagine for the very same reasons that made him
overweight in the first place.

I'm very interested in sound advice if you've any to offer.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Cat Protector
October 8th 08, 10:00 PM
How about stop feeding them dog food?

"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Cats won't stop eating dog food. Any tips?
>
> I've noticed that our cats are grazing on dog food between feedings
> -- anyone have a tip or two on how to curb this behavior?
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

John Doe
August 13th 09, 02:16 AM
"cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wasn't flaming anyone. There's a middle ground between flaming
> and acknowledging horse****. I'll leave it to you and Rene to
> tiptoe through the bozos and validate their assinine plays for
> attention. Life is just too gd short for that, for me.

I post about a covered litter box, and the attention starved troll
cybercat comes after me for it. She is perpetually insulting, and
then she complains about someone else seeking attention and that
she does not have time to mess with them...
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!