PDA

View Full Version : Muscle atrophy in hind legs?

yngver
September 30th 08, 09:00 PM
Our 11 year old cat has arthritis in her knees and a bit in her spine.
She has been doing very well on Cosequin and can still jump up on the
bed and even runs a little sometimes but I can tell her knees bother
her because she walks with her hind feet a little forward, hunching
her spine. Even our vet noticed this but he said he doesn't want to
use pain medication unless it gets worse due to possible side effects.
I recently noticed by looking at some pictures from her from a few
years ago that her hind legs are also thinner than they were, due, I
assume, to muscle atrophy. Can anything be done for that? Would fish
oil or some other supplement help? Acupuncture?

Thanks-
yngver

Phil P.
October 1st 08, 06:13 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
> Our 11 year old cat has arthritis in her knees and a bit in her spine.
> She has been doing very well on Cosequin and can still jump up on the
> bed and even runs a little sometimes but I can tell her knees bother
> her because she walks with her hind feet a little forward, hunching
> her spine. Even our vet noticed this but he said he doesn't want to
> use pain medication unless it gets worse due to possible side effects.
> I recently noticed by looking at some pictures from her from a few
> years ago that her hind legs are also thinner than they were, due, I
> assume, to muscle atrophy. Can anything be done for that? Would fish
> oil or some other supplement help? Acupuncture?
>
> Thanks-
> yngver

Omega-3s should help reduce inflammation- just make sure you use an Omega-3
supplement that's balanced with vit. E.

Phil

Riannon via CatKB.com
October 5th 08, 07:54 PM
You can buy the ones made for pets which makes it a lot easier. Your's might
have too much vitamin A in it for a cat which would not be safe as it is a
non-water soluable vitamin. For pets, there is 3V Caps HP Formula or
Welactin. The regular 3V Caps formula has fish oils, vitamins A, D & E in it,
while the 3V Caps HP formula has fish oils (a higher amount than the regular
3V Caps) and Vitamin E.

http://www.medi-vet.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=3v%20hp

Welactin is fish oil and Vitamin E.

http://www.medi-vet.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=welactin

There are other brands too; these seem to be good ones though. I've been
using the Welactin and may try the 3V Caps HP next time.

Riannon