PDA

View Full Version : Is this a decent cat food?


jmc
September 30th 08, 10:38 PM
Some of you may already know who makes this. Meep seems to like it, but
I'm looking for opinions on how much better this may be than, say,
Wellness. I like Wellness, but it is rather expensive, especially when
I'm feeding exclusively canned. Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking
for, but I see there's no by-products, the first ingredient is actually
the named ingredient, and it has chicken liver, which Meep adores.

She has no health issues beyond cystitis, which seems well under control
at the moment.

---

Trout & Brown Rice
Ingredients: Trout, Chicken Liver, Fish Broth, Chicken, Brown Rice,
Carrots, Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Cranberries,
Blueberries, Ground Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine,
Choline Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium
Ascorbate (a source of Vitamin C), Iron Proteinate (a source of chelated
Iron), Zinc Proteinate (a source of chelated Zinc), Vitamin E
Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of chelated Cobalt), Copper
Proteinate (a source of chelated Copper), Manganese Proteinate (a source
of chelated Manganese), Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Sodium
Selenite, d-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium
Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, and Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 10.0% min
Crude Fat 6.0% min
Crude Fiber 1.0% max
Moisture 78.0% max
Ash 2.5% max
Magnesium 0.025% max
Taurine 0.06% min

Feeding Guidelines:
Cat Weight
(lbs) Daily
Feeding
Amount
4 1/2 can
8 1 can
12 1-1/2 cans
16 2 cans

Calorie Content ME
(kcal/kg) = 1265 (calculated)
(kcal/can) = 197

---

jmc

MaryL
October 1st 08, 12:35 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...
> Some of you may already know who makes this. Meep seems to like it, but
> I'm looking for opinions on how much better this may be than, say,
> Wellness. I like Wellness, but it is rather expensive, especially when
> I'm feeding exclusively canned. Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking
> for, but I see there's no by-products, the first ingredient is actually
> the named ingredient, and it has chicken liver, which Meep adores.
>
> She has no health issues beyond cystitis, which seems well under control
> at the moment.
>
> ---
>
> Trout & Brown Rice
> Ingredients: Trout, Chicken Liver, Fish Broth, Chicken, Brown Rice,
> Carrots, Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Cranberries, Blueberries,
> Ground Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride,
> Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium Ascorbate (a source of
> Vitamin C), Iron Proteinate (a source of chelated Iron), Zinc Proteinate
> (a source of chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (a
> source of chelated Cobalt), Copper Proteinate (a source of chelated
> Copper), Manganese Proteinate (a source of chelated Manganese), Thiamine
> Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, d-calcium Pantothenate,
> Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement,
> Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, and
> Biotin.
>
> Guaranteed Analysis:
> Crude Protein 10.0% min
> Crude Fat 6.0% min
> Crude Fiber 1.0% max
> Moisture 78.0% max
> Ash 2.5% max
> Magnesium 0.025% max
> Taurine 0.06% min
>
> Feeding Guidelines:
> Cat Weight
> (lbs) Daily
> Feeding
> Amount
> 4 1/2 can
> 8 1 can
> 12 1-1/2 cans
> 16 2 cans
>
> Calorie Content ME
> (kcal/kg) = 1265 (calculated)
> (kcal/can) = 197
>
> ---
>
> jmc

First, I would question the first three items if this is to be a regular
diet. My vet says fish should not be used as a regular part of a cat's
diet. Second, chicken is fine, but chicken liver should not be used as a
frequent part of the diet, especially for a cat that already has cystitis.
Holly and Duffy also love chicken liver. Even though neither has ever had
cystitis or UTI, I will only use it as an occasional treat for them. Be
sure to avoid any products that contain grains.

MaryL

honeybunch
October 1st 08, 01:29 AM
On Sep 30, 5:38*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Some of you may already know who makes this. *Meep seems to like it, but
> I'm looking for opinions on how much better this may be than, say,
> Wellness. *I like Wellness, but it is rather expensive, especially when
> I'm feeding exclusively canned. Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking
> for, but I see there's no by-products, the first ingredient is actually
> the named ingredient, and it has chicken liver, which Meep adores.
>
> She has no health issues beyond cystitis, which seems well under control
> at the moment.
>
> ---
>
> Trout & Brown Rice
> Ingredients: Trout, Chicken Liver, Fish Broth, Chicken, Brown Rice,
> Carrots, Egg Product, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Cranberries,
> Blueberries, Ground Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine,
> Choline Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium
> Ascorbate (a source of Vitamin C), Iron Proteinate (a source of chelated
> Iron), Zinc Proteinate (a source of chelated Zinc), Vitamin E
> Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of chelated Cobalt), Copper
> Proteinate (a source of chelated Copper), Manganese Proteinate (a source
> of chelated Manganese), Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Sodium
> Selenite, d-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine
> Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium
> Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, and Biotin.
>
> Guaranteed Analysis:
> Crude Protein * 10.0% min
> Crude Fat * * * 6.0% min
> Crude Fiber * * 1.0% max
> Moisture * * * *78.0% max
> Ash * * 2.5% max
> Magnesium * * * 0.025% max
> Taurine * * * * 0.06% min
>
> Feeding Guidelines:
> Cat Weight
> (lbs) * Daily
> Feeding
> Amount
> 4 * * * 1/2 can
> 8 * * * 1 can
> 12 * * *1-1/2 cans
> 16 * * *2 cans
>
> Calorie Content ME
> (kcal/kg) = 1265 (calculated)
> (kcal/can) = 197
>
> ---
>
> jmc

My cat Snappy has his favorite cans of Wellness and they are the ones
with fish. He doesnt like the ones containing beef it seems. I also
buy the bagged wellness for him. It sure smells fishy and he likes
that as well. His coat is quite shiny and thick now. This summer he
was getting the Science for hairball and his fur really shed like
mad. I kind of like the Wellness food for him but do cats really need
to eat rice, carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, and dried kelp?
If left on their own would cats eat those things? Did anyone ever see
a cat on a beach eating seaweed? Once a long time ago, a cat I had
jumped up on the countertop and ate a blanched green pepper that was
left to cool in a collandar. Thats the only time I ever experienced a
cat eat a veggie. When Im having a snack Snappy will eat a crumb of
bread and a bit of cheese just to be nosy but I'm sure he would not
eat a blueberry ever unless it was mushed up in a can with sardines.

-Lost
October 1st 08, 02:06 AM
Response to honeybunch >:

> I kind of like the Wellness food for him but do cats really
> need
> to eat rice, carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, and dried
> kelp? If left on their own would cats eat those things? Did
> anyone ever see a cat on a beach eating seaweed? Once a long
> time ago, a cat I had jumped up on the countertop and ate a
> blanched green pepper that was left to cool in a collandar.
> Thats the only time I ever experienced a cat eat a veggie.

Our newest arrival looking for a good home ate some pear and peach
from a jar out of a bowl my kids left on the table accidentally.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

jmc
October 1st 08, 10:20 AM
Suddenly, without warning, -Lost exclaimed (9/30/2008 9:06 PM):
> Response to honeybunch >:
>
>> I kind of like the Wellness food for him but do cats really
>> need
>> to eat rice, carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, and dried
>> kelp? If left on their own would cats eat those things? Did
>> anyone ever see a cat on a beach eating seaweed? Once a long
>> time ago, a cat I had jumped up on the countertop and ate a
>> blanched green pepper that was left to cool in a collandar.
>> Thats the only time I ever experienced a cat eat a veggie.
>
> Our newest arrival looking for a good home ate some pear and peach
> from a jar out of a bowl my kids left on the table accidentally.
>

My first cat liked broccoli. I'm not sure if those things are in there
to make ignorant humans happy "eat your veggies, they're good for you"
or if they're in there for the health benefits. IE, cats may not eat
blueberries, but does the vitamins and antioxidants they have benefit
the cat anyway?

jmc

Wayne Mitchell
October 1st 08, 01:36 PM
jmc > wrote:

>I see there's no by-products, the first ingredient is actually
>the named ingredient, and it has chicken liver, which Meep adores.

Just FYI: liver is a by-product.
--

Wayne M.

Rene S.
October 1st 08, 02:07 PM
FWIW, I would avoid feeding fish of any kind, especially with a
cystitis-prone cat. Are you able to find the large cans ( 12.5 oz)?
Those are a much better value per ounce compared to the 5.5 oz "tuna-
size" cans. There's a bit of measuring required, but IMO the savings
are worth it.

jmc
October 1st 08, 09:08 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (10/1/2008 9:07 AM):
> FWIW, I would avoid feeding fish of any kind, especially with a
> cystitis-prone cat. Are you able to find the large cans ( 12.5 oz)?
> Those are a much better value per ounce compared to the 5.5 oz "tuna-
> size" cans. There's a bit of measuring required, but IMO the savings
> are worth it.

Sadly, the larger cans go to waste. She'll eat the first serving, but
for whatever reason, she won't eat the rest of the can. Surprising,
since she prefers her canned food to be "well ripened" before dining.
She generally won't touch it for some hours. Yea, I know, but if I
don't leave it out, she'll starve. Yes, I tried taking it away after 20
minute, or an hour, or whatever, but the end result was she got skinny.

Score: Meep 1, Mom 0.

jmc

MaryL
October 1st 08, 11:50 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...
> Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (10/1/2008 9:07 AM):
>> FWIW, I would avoid feeding fish of any kind, especially with a
>> cystitis-prone cat. Are you able to find the large cans ( 12.5 oz)?
>> Those are a much better value per ounce compared to the 5.5 oz "tuna-
>> size" cans. There's a bit of measuring required, but IMO the savings
>> are worth it.
>
> Sadly, the larger cans go to waste. She'll eat the first serving, but for
> whatever reason, she won't eat the rest of the can. Surprising, since she
> prefers her canned food to be "well ripened" before dining. She generally
> won't touch it for some hours. Yea, I know, but if I don't leave it out,
> she'll starve. Yes, I tried taking it away after 20 minute, or an hour,
> or whatever, but the end result was she got skinny.
>
> Score: Meep 1, Mom 0.
>
> jmc

Have you tried "gently warming" the refrigerated leftovers? That might help
even if she waits awhile before eating. It enhances the scent, and that may
be more important than the temperature.

MaryL

Stan Brown
October 2nd 08, 02:13 AM
Wed, 01 Oct 2008 05:20:22 -0400 from jmc
>:
> My first cat liked broccoli.

My first cat, 50 years ago now, liked green beans.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

jmc
October 2nd 08, 02:17 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Wayne Mitchell exclaimed (10/1/2008 8:36 AM):
> jmc > wrote:
>
>> I see there's no by-products, the first ingredient is actually
>> the named ingredient, and it has chicken liver, which Meep adores.
>
> Just FYI: liver is a by-product.

I don't really consider it as such, since some places you can actually
buy chicken livers in the grocery store. You're prolly right though,
but it's better than legs or some of the offal that passes as "by products".

jmc

jmc
October 2nd 08, 02:18 AM
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (10/1/2008 6:50 PM):
>
> "jmc" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (10/1/2008 9:07 AM):
>>> FWIW, I would avoid feeding fish of any kind, especially with a
>>> cystitis-prone cat. Are you able to find the large cans ( 12.5 oz)?
>>> Those are a much better value per ounce compared to the 5.5 oz "tuna-
>>> size" cans. There's a bit of measuring required, but IMO the savings
>>> are worth it.
>>
>> Sadly, the larger cans go to waste. She'll eat the first serving, but
>> for whatever reason, she won't eat the rest of the can. Surprising,
>> since she prefers her canned food to be "well ripened" before dining.
>> She generally won't touch it for some hours. Yea, I know, but if I
>> don't leave it out, she'll starve. Yes, I tried taking it away after
>> 20 minute, or an hour, or whatever, but the end result was she got
>> skinny.
>>
>> Score: Meep 1, Mom 0.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Have you tried "gently warming" the refrigerated leftovers? That might
> help even if she waits awhile before eating. It enhances the scent, and
> that may be more important than the temperature.
>
> MaryL
>

Both nuking a little, and adding hot water. Sometimes she'll eat a
little when it's warmed, but the remainder is still polished off in the
middle of the night sometime, hours after I've set it out.

jmc

Wayne Mitchell
October 2nd 08, 01:47 PM
jmc > wrote:

>I don't really consider it as such, since some places you can actually
>buy chicken livers in the grocery store. You're prolly right though,
>but it's better than legs or some of the offal that passes as "by products".

Several things that are classed as by-products in pet foods can be
bought separately -- hearts, tongues, kidneys,...even brains.

People tend to over-react to the word "by-products". Though it is
certainly possible to have by-products which are not particularly
nutritious, most by-products are actually more nutritious than so-called
"muscle meat".
--

Wayne M.

honeybunch
October 2nd 08, 01:50 PM
The one veggie Snappy eats eagerly on his own is GRASS and then he
vomits it up with much retching.

CatNipped[_2_]
October 2nd 08, 09:55 PM
"Wayne Mitchell" > wrote in message
...
> jmc > wrote:
>
>>I don't really consider it as such, since some places you can actually
>>buy chicken livers in the grocery store. You're prolly right though,
>>but it's better than legs or some of the offal that passes as "by
>>products".
>
> Several things that are classed as by-products in pet foods can be
> bought separately -- hearts, tongues, kidneys,...even brains.
>
> People tend to over-react to the word "by-products". Though it is
> certainly possible to have by-products which are not particularly
> nutritious, most by-products are actually more nutritious than so-called
> "muscle meat".
> --
>
> Wayne M.

And, in fact, in the wild cats will eviscerate prey and feast on
"by-products" before they will muscle meat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmc
October 3rd 08, 03:30 AM
Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (10/2/2008 4:55 PM):
> "Wayne Mitchell" > wrote in message
> ...
>> jmc > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't really consider it as such, since some places you can actually
>>> buy chicken livers in the grocery store. You're prolly right though,
>>> but it's better than legs or some of the offal that passes as "by
>>> products".
>> Several things that are classed as by-products in pet foods can be
>> bought separately -- hearts, tongues, kidneys,...even brains.
>>
>> People tend to over-react to the word "by-products". Though it is
>> certainly possible to have by-products which are not particularly
>> nutritious, most by-products are actually more nutritious than so-called
>> "muscle meat".
>> --
>>
>> Wayne M.
>
> And, in fact, in the wild cats will eviscerate prey and feast on
> "by-products" before they will muscle meat.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
>

No problems with those by-products. Not even chicken legs and stuff
I'm just not so sure what the pet food industry classifies as
"by-products". I could be wrong, but it seems a possibly dangerous
catch-all.

jmc

Wayne Mitchell
October 3rd 08, 01:20 PM
jmc > wrote:

>I'm just not so sure what the pet food industry classifies as
>"by-products". I could be wrong, but it seems a possibly dangerous
>catch-all.

That's the real difficulty -- not that it's by-products, but that it's
*unidentified* by-products. Remember the old commercial: "Parts is
parts"?

Still, even the best ingredients, carefully identified, can be of poor
quality. The only thing we as consumers can do is try to go with the
companies that seem to make an effort to produce high-quality foods, and
who respond well to questions about their ingredients, sources and
practices.
--

Wayne M.

Phil P.
October 3rd 08, 02:31 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...
>
> No problems with those by-products. Not even chicken legs and stuff
> I'm just not so sure what the pet food industry classifies as
> "by-products". I could be wrong, but it seems a possibly dangerous
> catch-all.
>
> jmc

The official AAFCO definition of 'by-products' is: "Secondary products
produced in addition to the principal products."

The "official" AAFCO definition of meat by-products is:

"Meat by-products is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived
from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen,
kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature
fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does
not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in
animal food. If it bears name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond
thereto. (9.3)"



Nutro started the by-products scare back in the 70s as an advertising
gimmick- and it grew like weed ever since.



Remember, cats in the wild eat most of the mouse- usually starting with the
internal organs because they spoil faster than muscle meat. Hearts and
livers are excellent sources of taurine and vitamins and minerals.



Phil