PDA

View Full Version : Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?


-Lost
October 5th 08, 06:08 AM
Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?

I believe one of our cats has "Pica." He's slated to visit the vet's
office tomorrow morning (Monday) as I've noticed he's been attempting
to chew up DVD cases after knocking them from the bookshelf.

If anyone has had any experience with this disorder are there any
things in particular I should ask the vet? Anything I should be
particularly wary about aside from minimizing access to non-nutritive
items?

Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

dejablues[_4_]
October 5th 08, 07:11 AM
"-Lost" <[email protected] .com> wrote in
message ...
> Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?
>
> I believe one of our cats has "Pica." He's slated to visit the vet's
> office tomorrow morning (Monday) as I've noticed he's been attempting
> to chew up DVD cases after knocking them from the bookshelf.

Pica is the consumption of non-food substances.
Attempting to chew random things is not pica.

Rene S.
October 6th 08, 05:10 PM
It's possible he's attracted to the plastic on the DVD cases. For some
reason, certain cats enjoy chewing plastics. A vet trip certainly is a
good idea, of course, in the event your cat has a medical issue. You
can mix hot sauce 50:50 with water and spray/paint it on the plastics,
or put the DVDs in a non-accessible location.

Make sure other plastic items, such as plastic bags, twist ties, etc.
are hidden away, in case your cat ingests them.

How old is your cat? If he/she is young, it's possible it's just a
temporary phases that she/he will grow out of.

Riannon via CatKB.com
October 6th 08, 07:56 PM
Although I don't know about chewing plastic, I know that some cats will eat
litter and or sand when they are anemic. One of my cats used to like to chew
on plastic things when she was younger but she grew out of it. One of my
older cats is now eating sand and dirt and licking cement and I just found
out she is anemic.


Riannon

-Lost wrote:
>Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?
>
>I believe one of our cats has "Pica." He's slated to visit the vet's
>office tomorrow morning (Monday) as I've noticed he's been attempting
>to chew up DVD cases after knocking them from the bookshelf.
>
>If anyone has had any experience with this disorder are there any
>things in particular I should ask the vet? Anything I should be
>particularly wary about aside from minimizing access to non-nutritive
>items?
>
>Thanks for your input.
>

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200810/1

-Lost
October 7th 08, 07:16 AM
Response to "Rene S." >:

> It's possible he's attracted to the plastic on the DVD cases.
> For some reason, certain cats enjoy chewing plastics. A vet trip
> certainly is a good idea, of course, in the event your cat has a
> medical issue. You can mix hot sauce 50:50 with water and
> spray/paint it on the plastics, or put the DVDs in a
> non-accessible location.
>
> Make sure other plastic items, such as plastic bags, twist ties,
> etc. are hidden away, in case your cat ingests them.

Apparently he's been doing just that. I witnessed him vomiting a
large piece of a small plastic bag one of my kids brought their
earrings home in yesterday.

> How old is your cat? If he/she is young, it's possible it's just
> a temporary phases that she/he will grow out of.

Approximately 2 years of age. He's always enjoyed chewing things
but we were never aware of any ingesting of said items.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
October 7th 08, 07:18 AM
Response to "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>:

> Although I don't know about chewing plastic, I know that some
> cats will eat litter and or sand when they are anemic. One of
> my cats used to like to chew on plastic things when she was
> younger but she grew out of it. One of my older cats is now
> eating sand and dirt and licking cement and I just found out she
> is anemic.

The vet ruled out anything serious and anything related to pica but
I'll make sure to look out for other warning signs such as those you
mentioned.

Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.