PDA

View Full Version : cat with an appetite

ethbluenoser55
October 6th 08, 07:08 PM
Hi,
I am hoping someone here can give me some advice.
We have 3 cats: Ozzie (male) who is now 4 years old, and FooFee and
Lilly (females) who are 3 years old.
Ozzie came to us when he was 4 weeks old, he was found wandering in
the forest.
He was starved, hard to say how long he had been wandering
Not surprisingly Ozzie has food issues, he steals food from the other
2 and he is always is crying for food, he weighs in at about 17
pounds. He eats until he throws up at least twice per week.
If you try to monitor and ration his food he gets frantic.
The other two cats are finicky ( rescued from a kitten mill) and never
tend to over eat, so if I take away the food they don't get enough to
eat. One of them was the runt and is not very robust so she needs to
have access to food.
I give them IAMS natural type crunchies and soft food once a day.
It is a dilemma, any advice would be appreciated.
Liz

Rene S.
October 7th 08, 02:21 PM
Some cats just don't know how to control their eating. I have one like
that. I would highly recommend getting all your cats on a twice per
day feeding schedule, about every 12 hours. They adjust to this very
easily and soon learn to eat their portions in a shorter amount of
time (15-20 minutes or so). You may need to put them in separate rooms
to make sure everyone gets their share (I do this).

You might also consider switching to a high-quality canned diet. It's
more satisfying than dry food and will help Ozzie feel more full for
longer. You can even add water to the wet food to "trick" him into
thinking he's getting more.

DWMeowMix
October 7th 08, 10:17 PM
On Oct 7, 7:21*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
<snip> You might also consider switching to a high-quality canned
diet. It's
> more satisfying than dry food and will help Ozzie feel more full for
> longer. You can even add water to the wet food to "trick" him into
> thinking he's getting more.

Hi Liz, you could also consider taking him off kibble entirely.
Kibble offers absolutely nothing nutritionally for a cat. It's grain
based and a cats physiology is meat based so it's unable to derive any
nutrition from kibble. Kitties will get fatter because of the carbs
but it's comparable to us eating potato chips for every meal.
Switching to a high-quality canned diet would be a good start,
personally, because I've seen the wonders it's done for my own 4 cats
I recommend switching to raw. It's just chuck full of nutritients and
is more like the natural diet they would get when fending for
themselves. Remember, this is what their wild cousins eat. Just
something to think about.

DWMeowMix

Rene S.
October 8th 08, 02:15 PM
On Oct 7, 4:17*pm, DWMeowMix > wrote:
> On Oct 7, 7:21*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> <snip> You might also consider switching to a high-quality canned
> diet. It's
>
> > more satisfying than dry food and will help Ozzie feel more full for
> > longer. You can even add water to the wet food to "trick" him into
> > thinking he's getting more.
>
> Hi Liz, you could also consider taking him off kibble entirely.
> Kibble offers absolutely nothing nutritionally for a cat. *It's grain
> based and a cats physiology is meat based so it's unable to derive any
> nutrition from kibble. *Kitties will get fatter because of the carbs
> but it's comparable to us eating potato chips for every meal.
> Switching to a high-quality canned diet would be a good start,
> personally, because I've seen the wonders it's done for my own 4 cats
> I recommend switching to raw. *It's just chuck full of nutritients and
> is more like the natural diet they would get when fending for
> themselves. *Remember, this is what their wild cousins eat. *Just
> something to think about.
>
> DWMeowMix

Meow Mix,

Though I didn't specifically say that, I did mean to suggest that
your cats would be better off with NO dry food for the same reasons. I
also feed some raw (Nature's Variety) with good results. Here is a
good article for the OP to read about feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

October 10th 08, 08:30 PM
Hi - I would try Ozzie on some Canned pumpkin - Just 1 tablespoon per
day - adds some good fiber to his diet.
also give ozzie a new food - How about Innova EVO for cats or Wellness
for Cats... Better than the one you are currently using... mostly
meats and very little corns and fillers.

Also, a good supplement may help to take the EDGE off of this boy -
NuVET Plus is a great supplement to add to his food each day ... just
1 x per day /
here is the link
http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

Need help ....just e-mail me.