PDA

View Full Version : Signs of the Economic Times-Dumped Cats

Candace
October 7th 08, 03:28 AM
I live in a middle-class neighborhood in central Phoenix. There have
always been quite a few stray and/or feral cats around and some of my
indoor cats have come to us this way. We have fed any stray cats
around for years because I think being a stray cat is bad enough
without being hungry all the time. Some of those cats that we've fed--
those that didn't make it into the indoor realm--have been our outdoor
cats. Right now, our top outdoor cat, WB, has been with us for at
least 2 years. Even though we got him neutered over a year ago, he
still sprays--hence his outdoor residence. There are several others,
all have names, eat regularly, a few have shown up already neutered, a
few others we've gotten fixed and they are no longer around. But, in
the last 4-6 weeks, 4 cats have shown up who are tame and I'm sure
they've been either dumped or abandoned by people who either have left
their homes or who just can't afford to care for pets. We now spend
over $125 a month on cat food for our 3 indoor cats and anywhere from
6-10 outdoor cats. Most come for 2 squares a day, a couple others
just check in every few days and seem to have another food source.

About 2 weeks ago, a tame kitten showed up and after taking him to the
vet to be tested for the cat diseases, we brought him in. I wish we
could bring them all in but we just can't. He made it in because he
was tame and too little to be out in the cruel world, tame. There is
another feral kitten outside but he doesn't run up to people like
Google does. So...even though we have 2 cats who aren't that thrilled
with each other, and who had to be kept separate for the last 4 years
until about 6 months ago, we brought Google in. He's about 3 months
old and will get neutered in a month or so. Fortunately, the other 2
don't hate him as much as they do each other.

But what I'm rambling about is the fact that these poor animals are
being dumped. Right now, a new siamese cat has shown up but is very
shy and will only eat if I leave her bowl in an isolated spot. It's
all too sad. I guess, for now, we are fortunate that we can help
these cats but if either of us lose our jobs, which is always a
possibility in this economic climate and something I worry about
daily, it's not going to be so easy to feed everyone else's outcasts.
Poor little things, to have a home and then all of a sudden to be
homeless in a strange neighborhood. I don't know how they all find
us, I guess they either follow the other cats or can smell the food.

And, no, I'm probably not going to be getting them all neutered
because the only group in town that does TNR still makes you do the
trapping yourself and pay $50 per cat. Not all that much but when
there's a never-ending supply of them, it's a little overwhelming.
All our no-kill shelters are full or going out of business as of about
2 weeks ago when I called them all in the hopes of placing Google (now
we're glad we have him, of course). I wouldn't take them to the
Humane Society--which I do think is a good org in many ways--because
they are a kill shelter and they also charge $75 for each animal
turned in. They're always at capacity.

So, we've made our yard as safe as possible for them--if they stay in
the back, which they don't--and provide them with food, attention,
petting if they want it. I will neuter those I can pick up but I
probably won't trap the others--the $$, the time involved when one
works for a living, all that.

I guess I understand why people dump them. I think it's very wrong
and would never do it myself but I suppose they feel they have no
choice, in some cases. Maybe they can't get them a home, or a no-kill
shelter, or pay the $75 to turn them in to the Humane Society and they
just hope someone will feed them or that they can provide for
themselves by eating birds and scrounging. They probably think they
are giving them a "chance."

I guess I'm just worried that more and more will show up and that I'll
be even more overwhelmed. I also get attached to them all and if one
doesn't show up for a day or 2, I get worried and go around looking
for them. I can see that I could easily go insane (seriously). I'm
soooo worried about the financial crisis and just wonder where it will
all lead and this is just a nasty little sign of the times.

I'm just venting, this has no real purpose. I just wish people felt
more responsibility to their pets but I know most people feel
differently about animals than I--and many of you--do.

Candace

James
October 7th 08, 04:22 AM
On Oct 6, 10:28*pm, Candace > wrote:
> I live in a middle-class neighborhood in central Phoenix. *There have
> always been quite a few stray and/or feral cats around and some of my
> indoor cats have come to us this way. *We have fed any stray cats
> around for years because I think being a stray cat is bad enough

If things get a lot worse the would be no stray cats. People would be
hunting them just like they do deer and small game. During the big
war, cats in England were known as roof rabbits.

gigi
October 8th 08, 07:45 AM
On Oct 7, 1:28*pm, Candace > wrote:
> [...]
> shelter, or pay the $75 to turn them in to the Humane Society and they
> just hope someone will feed them or that they can provide for
> themselves by eating birds and scrounging. *They probably think they
> are giving them a "chance."
>
> I guess I'm just worried that more and more will show up and that I'll
> be even more overwhelmed. *I also get attached to them all and if one
> doesn't show up for a day or 2, I get worried and go around looking
> for them. *I can see that I could easily go insane (seriously). *I'm
> soooo worried about the financial crisis and just wonder where it will
> all lead and this is just a nasty little sign of the times.
>
> I'm just venting, this has no real purpose. *I just wish people felt
> more responsibility to their pets but I know most people feel
> differently about animals than I--and many of you--do.

I know exactly what you are saying. I found a gorgeous white kitty -
to me it looked liked a typical X;mas kitty case - you know the
Christmas present who outgrew its cuteness - why becasue she looked
about 8-10 mths old and she could even be a 13-15mth old. Very
smallish and definitely looked girlish. She has semi - long hair,
whitish and skinny. Anyway, she's very cautious and slowly and slowly
she monitored our movements and we monitored hers, natrally we started
geiving her milk first, the food - regularly tehn before you know it
she's "our cat"- I LOVE all pets BUT I don't take any on because I
travel and live in rented premises. So now, I'm in this horrendous
predicament because I'm going against the rental agrement, can't find
another place (most don't like animals) and I travel - for a month at
a time - what am i to do? I paid to have her spayed - de-sexed,
vaccinated, etc (I didn't know there were shelters who did de-sexing
for free or for a nominal amount. I went to a vet - ka-ching! Natually
because she's my baby - I get top rate food, etc for her. But what am
I to do now? I am starting to place notices up at supermarkets, etc.
My hsuband says don't bring her to the shelter because if noone adopts
her , she will be put down. he says she can survive without us. We are
moving house again and I just don't know what to do.

I too just wish people would stop "abandoning" their pets. Its bad and
wrong. I hated it when my husband said she will survive. But thats
probably a lot of the same sentiments out there too. I wish Icould
shout to these people PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ON A PET AS A FANCY OF THE
MONTH. IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT.PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE CARERS.

Sorry just venting too.

James
October 8th 08, 10:22 PM
On Oct 8, 2:45*am, gigi > wrote:

> travel and live in rented premises. So now, I'm in this horrendous
> predicament because I'm going against the rental agrement, can't find
> another place (most don't like animals) and I travel - for a month at
> a time *- what am i to do? I paid to have her spayed - de-sexed,
> vaccinated, etc (I didn't know there were shelters who did de-sexing
> for free or for a nominal amount. I went to a vet - ka-ching! Natually
> because she's my baby - I get top rate food, etc for her. But what am
> I to do now? I am starting to place notices up at supermarkets, etc.
> My hsuband says don't bring her to the shelter because if noone adopts
> her , she will be put down. he says she can survive without us. We are
> moving house again and I just don't know what to do.

Well, you can form your own cat rescue and just take care of that one
cat. You find a volunteer who is willing to house her till she is
adopted. You foot the bill for vet and supplies. I'm sure there are
cat people who would take on one more specially when they don't have
to shell out vet fees.