PDA

View Full Version : Rapid breathing

JohnR66
October 8th 08, 12:54 AM
Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is when
the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.
John

AZ Nomad[_2_]
October 8th 08, 01:03 AM
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 > wrote:
>Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
>over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
>and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is when
>the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.

what does your vet say?

JohnR66
October 8th 08, 01:20 PM
"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 > wrote:
>>Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many cats
>>over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal activities
>>and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is
>>when
>>the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.
>
> what does your vet say?

When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.

cybercat
October 8th 08, 01:48 PM
"JohnR66" > wrote in message
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:54:21 GMT, JohnR66 > wrote:
>>>Why would a cat have rapid breathing its entire life? I've known many
>>>cats
>>>over the years but this one has 2x breathing rate during normal
>>>activities
>>>and at rest for years. The only time I notice normal breathing rate is
>>>when
>>>the cat is in deep sleep. Breathing is never labored, just rapid.
>>
>> what does your vet say?
>>
> When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.

Right. Well, it's a sign of heart and/or lung disease. Might be time for a
new "vet."

JohnR66
October 9th 08, 03:04 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "JohnR66" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> what does your vet say?
>>>
>> When I took him in for shots and checkups, the vet never noted it.
>
> Right. Well, it's a sign of heart and/or lung disease. Might be time for a
> new "vet."
It was my Simon. I guess I'm still trying to come to terms with his sudden
sickness and death. I probably did mention this to the vet at some point
early in his life. I guess it was an underlying condition that finally
claimed him 11 years into his life. I wish I had listened to his heart more
and may have caught the arythmia early on.

When I got him, he was 5 months old. He did have swollen eyelids and was
picked over but I loved his markings and he had a nice personality. I took
care of his eyelids with antibiotics. From that point on, he had a healthy
life. My vet was supposed to be good. I guess it's all hindsight now.